Donegal Forum

Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post


Replying To Lockjaw:  "If the current levels of Covid restrictions are relaxed in December I wonder what the appetite would be like in the Glenties Kilcar camps to get the final played before year end? If you're like me, I had assumed that Donegal would have been involved another while yet. Still sickened at that but if we had a county final to look forward to it might take our minds off things?

Not ideal for the players I know. You want to be playing county finals on fields that are in good nick, reasonable weather and a good big crowd. Not to mention the fact that it has now been weeks since either team played. There is simply no way that fitness and match sharpness would be what they were since the two teams last played. The county boys obviously would be fine but the remaining squad players would probably need 2-3 weeks of good training together at least to retune.

Assuming there were no restrictions, would the Sunday before Christmas be a potential date? It would give both teams the guts of a month to refocus and get ready."
I think the our own club would jump at it anyways considering we played until the start of December last year.
As for match sharpness its would be no different waiting until april for it to be played. I dont think the Sunday before Xmas would work though as I believe that is the scheduled AI final weekend.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 363 - 25/11/2020 10:25:16    2315101

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "I think the our own club would jump at it anyways considering we played until the start of December last year.
As for match sharpness its would be no different waiting until april for it to be played. I dont think the Sunday before Xmas would work though as I believe that is the scheduled AI final weekend."
Think the AI final is on the Saturday?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7080 - 25/11/2020 13:03:00    2315183

Link

There isn't really any reason why it can't be played before this year is over anymore with Donegal being out now. I'd imagine both clubs would want to play it as soon as possible and it would give everybody in the county something else to focus on rather than the Cavan game! Seems like the best option for the club players.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 110 - 26/11/2020 23:01:47    2315796

Link

Both clubs should have been told that the only event this game was not getting scheduled in 2020 was if Donegal got to the All Ireland final.

Personally I think the game should now be fixed for the Tuesday night before Xmas under the lights provided Covid restrictions permit this.

I do understand there are complications regarding having 2 teams placed on ice during a level 5 lockdown and always the possibility that even an xmas date falls through either from covid or indeed weather.

The greater failure is that the game should never have fallen through the first time over the availability of one player. The is the harsh reality

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 321 - 27/11/2020 07:40:44    2315834

Link

Any more word on co final. No reason why it can't be played before end of year weather permitting.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 856 - 30/11/2020 20:23:58    2317139

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Any more word on co final. No reason why it can't be played before end of year weather permitting."
Heard nothing yet, the weekend before the football final would be good, might be televised even.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1089 - 30/11/2020 22:54:54    2317187

Link

Just saw on the news there that under level 3 restrictions no club action can take place so looks like the county final won't get played until some time in the new year. Disappointing.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7080 - 01/12/2020 20:50:13    2317454

Link