Wicklow Forum

Wicklow vs Meath 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sunday could be one of those days. The day of the underdog. Meath are raging hot favourites, the only genuine challengers to Dublin in Leinster. But anything can happen. Twud be some turnaround from last season to see Meath going up north to face Armagh/Donegal in the qualifiers to save their season.
Mind you, this is a match that Meath would relish.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2868 - 12/06/2015 16:23:35    1736137

Link

Well how are the Wicklow boys & girls feeling about this game now that we're missing 6-7 starters, has that given yous a confidence boost or do yous still view this as a difficult task?

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 12/06/2015 17:32:26    1736170

Link

Thanks Ziggy

The Harnan chap is a fine footballer - a nephew of the great Liam Harnan I believe .. I think Liam Harnan has a son that is decent also ?

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 12/06/2015 18:06:56    1736181

Link

Best of luck to the Wicklow senior team and management on Sunday against Meath - I really hope that we can put in a good performance and strike a blow for the weaker counties. People continuously reference the fact that Meath are missing key players which is true but equally, Wicklow have lost some of their key experienced and in my opinion best players over the last 12-18 months, players like Stafford, Glynn, Earls, Furlong won't be playing on Sunday (these guys would have been key players when Wicklow played Meath in recent years) and unlike Meath, we have been unable to compete at under age so to say that due to the fact that Meath are missing players will narrow the gap between the top of Division 2 and the bottom of Division 4 doesn't stack up for me and I expect Meath to win easy but I do hope that Wicklow play with a defensive structure on Sunday, not that I am fan but I think it is the best way for us to compete and that at the end of 70 minutes that we can point to the fact that we gave it a good go and that we gave a performance to be proud of.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1337 - 13/06/2015 10:46:23    1736302

Link

Meath are unbackable and we supposedly are back to where we were 15 years ago. 6 new starters for Meath in front of a home crowd and if they get a good start , it could be a long day.. Tomorrow we will see who the Real Wicklow supporters are. Anyone undecided about going tomorrow, just think of the likes of Ciaran Hyland who is still one of the best man-markers around and his commitment to our County has been an inspiration. As I said, all the pressure is on Meath and all their new starters, but if there is a sniff that they might be feeling the pressure - then we need to be heard in the stands. Fair play to the likes of Ciaran Hyland and every other Wicklow player who has had put in so much effort, purely for the pride of representing the Garden. I'll be there to show my respect anyway and I hope you all fill up your cars.

Micklow (Wicklow) - Posts: 118 - 13/06/2015 12:37:32    1736346

Link

Forget league form. League form goes out the window once the ball is thrown in tomorrow. Remember 91 with that formidable Meath team. As O'Brien says in the indo, Wicklow went into match or the back of seven defeats in challenge matches. Meath were on the crest of a wave and were lucky to survive with a draw in a match that nobody had given them a chance.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2868 - 13/06/2015 16:20:23    1736399

Link

Line up for tomorrow...

Robert Lambert; Ciaran Hyland, Paul Cunningham, Arron Murphy; Dean Healy, Paul McLoughlin, Mark Kenny; Danny Woods, Anthony McLoughlin; Niall Gaffney, Stephen Kelly, Darren Hayden; Paul Cronin, Tommy Kelly, John McGrath.

yourman (Wicklow) - Posts: 235 - 13/06/2015 20:55:59    1736478

Link

Well that went better than expected..cue JackL telling us if we had seanie and glynn we would put it up to the Dubs.

i.am.ahab. (Wicklow) - Posts: 254 - 14/06/2015 17:02:57    1736710

Link

Gutted! .. listening to it on East Coast from home overseas

Pride back in fairness to all involved .. great heart and battling spirit - Brilliant and well done to Magee & Team .

Ref appeared to be playing with a Meath jersey with 2 dubious sending offs + a black card for Gaffney + 5 glorious missed goal chances

Only have the benefit of listening on the radio - but sounds very much like it will be a case of " What Ifs" ...

Pride in the jersey restored and judging by Armagh today - nothing to fear next week.

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 14/06/2015 17:06:13    1736716

Link

Ill discipline once again costs us BIG TIME today. Three of our starting fifteen didn't finish the game due to a black card, two yellows and a yellow & black. At this level you can't afford to finish a game with 13 men even if it's only for 5 or 10 minutes. Sort out this issue and the rest will follow.

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 195 - 14/06/2015 17:17:24    1736725

Link

Well done to the lads today. I have to admit I expected a bloodbath but fair play they put it up to them. The lack of a free-taker seems to have cost us today but perhaps now is not to time to dwell too much on the negatives.

stanley (None) - Posts: 434 - 14/06/2015 18:16:35    1736768

Link

Well done to Wicklow for putting in a performance that no one imagined. Terrible free taking and stupid sending off's cost us and this happens most years. If the free from 21 yards had of went over to take the game back to a single point who knows what would have happened. I thought jelly and Mcgraynor caused problems up front. Push on from here and try rattle Armagh. Best of luck to all involved.

kodak13 (Wicklow) - Posts: 55 - 14/06/2015 18:44:08    1736781

Link

From listening to it on the radio it would seem mid field was a huge issue for us, or at least winning possession from kickouts...On top of that poor tackling (easy fouls) and missed chances cost us the game.that meath goal in 2nd half was a huge turning point...McGrath could have two points bringing us to within 1 and isntead Meath go up the other end and score...thats a five point turnaround really...

On the other hand its a step in the right direction cosindering most were expecting us to be talking about a 10+ point defeat, its refreshing to be talking about possibly even winning the match...While Armagh are no world beaters it will be another step up in class, particularly when it comes to breaking down their defence and physicality so I hope McGee and co can come up with some sort of plan of action...hopefully the players recover fully in time too...

yourman (Wicklow) - Posts: 235 - 14/06/2015 18:50:19    1736786

Link

You can be very proud of that performance. Decent sprinkle of wicklow fans travelled too In what was dubbed to be a one sided hammering so fair play for Making the trip.

Regarding the ref, I'll just say the 2 penos were dives and one of them there wasn't even a hand tackling him so even if the late cards were harsh he wasn't the reason you lost.

Agree about the free taker. 10mins to go you get an easy free to bring the gap to one. But he missed and Meath pushed on. Great match and if they put in a similar display against Armagh I fancy an upset. They will be on a serious low and won't be up for this.

Hopefully your lads approach it like an all Ireland final because they deserve to go on a run.

Anyway best of luck, will be cheering you on the next day.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 14/06/2015 19:27:39    1736824

Link

Now I am as much a Meath fan as anyone, but how ANYBODY can suggest either Wicklow penalty was a dive is ridiculous.
I had a very clear view of both and they were 100% penalties.
For the first the guy was shoved in the back, hard from my angle to say who did it, but he WAS shoved, for the second POR rugby tackled their player.
Referee was bang up with play both times, and if he got anything wrong today it was not giving a black card to the Wicklow defender who fouled for Meaths penalty.
By the way what deafhuck was Burke at for their second peno, he nearly crashed into the umpire before it was taken

BoynesideBlue (Meath) - Posts: 130 - 14/06/2015 19:47:19    1736866

Link

Following on Twitter: who was on frees? No one to replace Hannon?

wicklu (Wicklow) - Posts: 331 - 14/06/2015 20:25:05    1736909

Link

Glad to be proven wrong. Like many I really did think we would be on the end of a total hiding. Though we never had victory as such in our grasp, we gave it a right good rattle. Meath were shaken. It could have been different were it not for the bad kicks and poor free taking. That said Meath had so many wides.

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - Posts: 1101 - 14/06/2015 20:44:46    1736921

Link

Credit to you's lads, you's gave us a very good game, we just couldn't shake Wicklow off no matter how hard we tried, all the best the next day out.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 14/06/2015 20:54:04    1736930

Link

As I said league form goes out of the window come championship time. With the way that Armagh flopped today, Wicklow can approach the match in Armagh with a degree of confidence.

It is a good job that the Wicklow players did not read the negative posts on this website for the past couple of weeks or they would not have made the trip to Navan.

Time to stop the negativity and be positive for the trip up north.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2868 - 14/06/2015 21:30:32    1736964

Link

Is john McGrath are only option for frees?

Very poor at it. With a decent free taker yesterday we would have won.

kodak13 (Wicklow) - Posts: 55 - 15/06/2015 08:26:23    1736990

Link