Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

lads stop with the excuses we are just not good enough at the moment to compete at the highest level and playing in division 1b doesnt help. fair play to the players for the effort which cannot be faulted in any way but there is a few just not upto standard.

fanning- he is and has been our best keeper for the last while his puck outs are excellent.
breen- was very good in the league and had a great game against cork and was well worth his starting berth.
o hanlon- while he lacks pace he sure makes up for it with his strength and leadership very solid all year and is one of the standout full back this year.
moore- too inconsistent although was a huge loss when going off against waterford
foley- overrated in my opinion and lacks concentration
o keefe- one of our most consistent hurlers for the last number of years.
conroy- works very hard but is just not good enough he never seems to get on the ball although he isnt a midfielder
o connor- completely one sided and just hits the ball away
mcgovern- in and out of games too much but on his day is unstoppable
chin- our best hurler by far, the go to man and he just keeps on improving his skill level is after getting so good even in the last year
dunne- very quick had a good year but still young and if he keeps on improving he can be a massive player for us
macdonald- excellent he always wins his own ball and can make scores out of nothing
doran- is a handful for any defence we could have done with him against waterford
kehoe- i always said he makes a bigger impact off the bench never really gets in to games that he starts
nolan- a fully fit aidan nolan is a very good hurler we seen that in the league
ryan- excellent talent a real leader even at his age
martin- has waited a long time to get his chance and has done nothing wrong.

obviously i have left out a few but we have a young squad and with the right management in charge we could challenge the kilkennys and tipperarys in the not so distant future hopefully.

oneills09 (Wexford) - Posts: 129 - 30/07/2016 22:08:06    1892563

Link

O'Neill09 who put that team that together? Only the current management, who've worked for the past 2 yrs rebuilding the whole team. Wex hurling has had to restart somewhere. And maybe the current management are doing something right... easy moving forwards when all the hard work is done.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 01/08/2016 20:17:22    1893736

Link

O'Neill09 who put that team that together? Only the current management, who've worked for the past 2 yrs rebuilding the whole team. Wex hurling has had to restart somewhere. And maybe the current management are doing something right... easy moving forwards when all the hard work is done.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 01/08/2016 20:52:26    1893749

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "O'Neill09 who put that team that together? Only the current management, who've worked for the past 2 yrs rebuilding the whole team. Wex hurling has had to restart somewhere. And maybe the current management are doing something right... easy moving forwards when all the hard work is done."
I just can't believe the naivety of some of the self appointed analyst's on this site. They love talking about 'matchups', and who, in their opinion, 'played well' etc, but they seem to have no clue where Wexford hurling has been for years, where it is now and what it'll take to get to the next stage. I've no idea where some of them get the notion, that a county that's been at rock bottom and has had to rebuild from the very foundation, should be beating the top teams in the country. Whether they like it or not we're in the 2nd tier of hurling counties and have been for a very long time. We are progressing well under the current setup, but that's as good as it going to get in the short term, regardless of who is managing the team. This year we won two championship matches against 'hurling' counties, and two years ago we beat the all ireland champions and one of this years semi finalist, while not so long ago we were struggling to beat Carlow and Westmeath, so we are slowly progressing. The elephant in the room here is hurlers and until this young team developes further, which they will, we will not be competitive against the top teams. So all this rubbish talk about new managers going to do the devil and all is a false belief based on an incorrect interpretation of reality, in other words, delusional.
We've had loads of 'new' managers over the years and still Wexford hurling went down the tubes. It's quality young hurlers we need first and foremost and unless the County Board gets serious about underage hurling and hurling in general, there won't be many of them coming through in the future.
Here's the reality of the state of Wexford hurling over the last half century and where we stand against the 'big boys' of hurling; we beat Kilkenny in 1996, 1997 and 2004 but apart from that how many times have we beaten them in the last 40 years? We beat Cork this year for the first time in 61 years and when was the last time we beat Tipperary in the Championship, -1968? We couldn't beat Offaly for nearly 20 years and we've had a very mixed bag of results against all the other serious hurling Counties. So, for those who think that a new manager will solve everything, while their lofty expections are admirable, should come down of their high horses and live in the real world.
As I've said before, my only motivation is i like most genuine followers, want to see Wexford hurling getting to the top and if in some people's minds, that's an 'agenda' so be it.
That old tune that those of us with like minds are either relations/friends/clubmates of Liam Dunne or are trolls is well played out, so the detractors should either come up with some new line in 'putdowns' or take their heads out of the sand and deal with hard facts.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 02/08/2016 07:33:01    1893854

Link

jack o connor 1 sided what matches do you be at?i love the way these random posters and usernames crop up after a bad hurling result......

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 02/08/2016 08:43:09    1893863

Link

Well lads missed all the club games the weekend was away??anyone stand out r have any info on the games??

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 02/08/2016 09:33:09    1893872

Link

We beat Tipperary in 2007 in the all Ireland quarter final in Croke park.....

juan31 (Wexford) - Posts: 142 - 02/08/2016 11:49:45    1893957

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Well lads missed all the club games the weekend was away??anyone stand out r have any info on the games??"
You're in the wrong section for that, try the Club Championship Section.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 02/08/2016 11:58:54    1893961

Link

Replying To juan31:  "We beat Tipperary in 2007 in the all Ireland quarter final in Croke park....."
Thanks, you're 100% correct and what happened the following year? we sacked the manager John Meyler, need I say more?

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 02/08/2016 12:20:39    1893971

Link

Replying To juan31:  "We beat Tipperary in 2007 in the all Ireland quarter final in Croke park....."
Correct, 3-10 to 1-14. Some people like to to deal in their own facts rather than actual facts. Gminor is one and has now changed his tune to limiting expectations as trying to convince everyone all is rosie and we are flying along didnt work.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 02/08/2016 12:30:05    1893978

Link

gminor,where is your reply re club games?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 02/08/2016 12:37:41    1893983

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "gminor,where is your reply re club games?"
You need to work out how this forum works. This section deals with the intercounty team, there is a seperate section under the heading Club Hurling Championship for club hurling. If you want to reply to my post, you can do it here. Are you sorted now?

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 02/08/2016 12:59:39    1893998

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "Correct, 3-10 to 1-14. Some people like to to deal in their own facts rather than actual facts. Gminor is one and has now changed his tune to limiting expectations as trying to convince everyone all is rosie and we are flying along didnt work."
I'm not sure what you mean, maybe you could elaborate a bit more. Apart from the Tipp result in 2007, no one is perfect but what's wrong with the other facts? I could give you a lot more hard facts like being beaten in the 1995 league by Meath and by Laoise, Dublin, Kilkenny and Offaly in the Championship during 1980s, but I won't bother, you just read between the lines. As for my expectations I have every confidence that this group, including the management, if left together will achieve great things in the medium term. That's always been my expectation, show me where I said otherwise. As I already said - deal with the facts.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 02/08/2016 13:16:42    1894008

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "gminor,where is your reply re club games?"
And your point is??

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 02/08/2016 17:04:48    1894149

Link

Continuity is key. With so many new players getting championship debuts over the last two years, and players from jnr and intermediate clubs, as highlighted lots of time we're only now starting to establish a strong core panel.

We've won 3 u 21 Leinsters with JJ, lost to Dublin this year with possibly our strongest u 21 team. So should JJ go then?? Absolutely not, he should be allowed stay on and rebuild. Now I do know he was involved with the minors and combined colleges too, and like Dunne putting in savage work. So why can't the current snr management team be afforded the same support as JJ to stay on for another year? I wonder what would OHanlon, Chin, Shore, Liam Ryan, Conor Mc, Liam og etc want continuity with their present management? There has been nothing but positivity coming from the camp from the players who committed.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 02/08/2016 19:49:17    1894259

Link

In what other county and/or in what other sport would a manager who has won nothing get six years at the helm. On the contrary we have been thoroughly humped on a few occasions with embarrassing performances. Last year we were beaten 24 points by Kilkenny and in the very next match, with an inexperienced team, we win the toss and play against the wind in the first half and the manager more or less says it hadnt anything to do with him. That was the end for me. We have a good bunch of young inexperienced players who need proper handling and management. We cant waste another year or it will be too late.

lochgarmanabu (Wexford) - Posts: 1004 - 02/08/2016 21:50:00    1894336

Link

Replying To lochgarmanabu:  "In what other county and/or in what other sport would a manager who has won nothing get six years at the helm. On the contrary we have been thoroughly humped on a few occasions with embarrassing performances. Last year we were beaten 24 points by Kilkenny and in the very next match, with an inexperienced team, we win the toss and play against the wind in the first half and the manager more or less says it hadnt anything to do with him. That was the end for me. We have a good bunch of young inexperienced players who need proper handling and management. We cant waste another year or it will be too late."
sure why dont you put hand up and take over the team so

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 02/08/2016 22:09:03    1894355

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Continuity is key. With so many new players getting championship debuts over the last two years, and players from jnr and intermediate clubs, as highlighted lots of time we're only now starting to establish a strong core panel.

We've won 3 u 21 Leinsters with JJ, lost to Dublin this year with possibly our strongest u 21 team. So should JJ go then?? Absolutely not, he should be allowed stay on and rebuild. Now I do know he was involved with the minors and combined colleges too, and like Dunne putting in savage work. So why can't the current snr management team be afforded the same support as JJ to stay on for another year? I wonder what would OHanlon, Chin, Shore, Liam Ryan, Conor Mc, Liam og etc want continuity with their present management? There has been nothing but positivity coming from the camp from the players who committed."
Hardly positive when chin done an interview with the local paper saying that we were not fit enough against Dublin. Our best and main player wasn't been so positive then.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 02/08/2016 22:21:56    1894369

Link

Replying To gusseraneman:  "sure why dont you put hand up and take over the team so"
Gusseraneman there are many reasons why I wouldnt get the job. One is I now live quite a distance from the county and I would cost a fortune in mileage expenses. Of course I could save the county a lot of money were I to use my bus-pass!!! So unfortunately I'll pass on your suggestion.

lochgarmanabu (Wexford) - Posts: 1004 - 02/08/2016 22:28:50    1894376

Link

Mrfox welcome back with negativity to the hurling forum. Lee Chin had a medial ligament injury for Dublin game. When you are unsure of the facts re snr hurling team perhaps your negative comments would be more useful on the football forum. Where's this so called interview or article?

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 03/08/2016 00:28:28    1894434

Link