Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

PT109 (limerick) just in case you've forgotten, in Liam Dunne's 5 year reign Limerick have failed to get out of Div 1b also. With all the millions JP is pumping into Limerick GAA you should stick to your own forum and critique your own management reign.

Mr Fox welcome back from division 4 football, yes Power should step down, there's obviously not much to write on the football forum this year!! Nice to have beaten Cork for the first time in the championship in 60 years and get to the last 6 in the hurling championship... wouldn't put Power and Dunne's name in the same sentence...

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 26/07/2016 18:57:22    1890595

Link

Well hurler101 if Flannery was so good why did Derek MCGrath get rid of him after one year? Let's see if Kieran Kingston wants him in the set up with Cork next year? No one can take away from Flannery's success with Oulart, but don't forget Oulart were not even competing in Leinster in 2004, 2005,2007 until Dunne took the over in 2009. They then got to two Leinster finals and brought Ballyhale Shamrocks to extra time in Wexford park. A bit like the Wex set up at the moment, all the hard work, transitions done, and then someone else comes in..Last 6 in Ireland with so many injuries is some achievement.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 26/07/2016 19:06:39    1890599

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "I'd be in favour of a change personally,nobody can question dunnes commitment to wexford and his drive for us to succeed but 5 years is a long enough stint at intercounty people like Cody,mikey harte and Sean boylan aren't the norm there some of the best managers in gaa history. Is wins against Clare,Waterford and cork over a 5 year period enough to warrant a reappointment probably not

Looking at next year whoever the manager is its vital we're picking from as strong a squad as possible if we do I there's enough talent there for us to kick on. For example I picked the below team for the start of next years league potentially

Fanning/Ollie o'leary

Kenny
O'hanlon
Shaun Murphy

Ryan
Foley
Jack O'Connor

Redmond
o'keefe

Guiney
Chin
aidan Nolan

Rory O'Connor
McDonald
McGovern

I didn't consider shore and tomkins with their injuries,eoin moore if he's injury is serious and Ian Byrne who I've been told is travelling later in the year.I think Shaun Murphy could do a job as a rossiter style corner back,I'd like either Ryan or o'hanlon in the half back line and I wouldn't usually pick lads straight from minor but Rory O'Connor is in his 2nd year at senior club and for me the best minor we've produced sense McDonald plenty of options on the bench aswel if we're lucky with injuries and lads not dropping off the panel"
There's no point saying "whoever the manager is" you've given us your next year's league team, which i would agree with, so why not also give us an idea who you'd favour as next year's manager. As for me, for consistancy, I'd favour leaving Dunne in position for another year and if that doesn't happen, then getting the likes of Anthony Daly and paying him good money. Dublin have gone backwards since he left. Not much point in us going backwards by getting an unknown or someone with no pedigree at senior intercounty level.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 26/07/2016 19:18:42    1890603

Link

Right lads let's be honest and fair here.In my opinion we are slightly better now than we were when Dunne took over and that is no doing of Dunne!! Dunne has had a lot of decent young hurlers coming through and in my opinion should have done a lot better.He did take the job at a time when nobody wanted it but I do actually believe in the next 3 years we won't be far away!!Dunne has to go get guiney Ian Byrne and Foley back (which I know they will once dunne is gone) and get few of those injuries sorted with a good manager and we will at least be competitive again.

My team
1 Breen

2 Moore
3 O Hanlon
4 Ryan

5 Murphy
6 Foley
7 Kenny

8 Redmond
9 Ian Byrne

10 Shore
11 Chin
12Guiney

13 L Of
14 Mac
15 Foley

wex82 (Wexford) - Posts: 202 - 26/07/2016 19:27:18    1890607

Link

good luck getting ian byrne back,he is gone to dubai for a few years,or is going,not sure which.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 26/07/2016 20:13:38    1890626

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "Letting your love for dunne hide facts again! Flannery won a leinster, which dunne could not manage!!!!
Dunne tried on numerous occassions with a more talented group!! Flannery had a visible dame plan and style he wanted them to play, all players knew there role and the team was better than the individuals, which was not the case under dunne! You cannot compare a selectors position to a managers!! As a manager, short as it is, flannerys record is good!!!

Not saying he should get it, id love Daly myself, but i do think he would advance our team in a way dunne cannot! As seen in oulart!!"
Anyone with one brain cell wouldn't claim that those who support Dunne remaining on as manager love him, it just happens that they have a different view than you. Get over it and stop insulting people's intelligence.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 26/07/2016 20:20:16    1890630

Link

Disappointing end to the season on Sunday. Chin and moore injuries played a huge part I think in stopping our momentum mid way through the second half. To be fair to Dunne he has left Wexford hurling in a far better state than when he took over. Reaching the last 6 this year was an achievement considering our injury crisis. Liam Dunne has been a terrific servant to Wexford hurling both as player and manager But I think it is time for a change. Hard to know with Flannery he is untested at inter county level. Sheedy in my opinion would be my choice . Not too far from Tipp either to training in Ferns . Anthony Daly would be a good alternative but Clarecastle might just be too long to travel to Wexford . I would love to see either man in charge of us in the next few years as I think on paper we have potentially one of the strongest squads in the country with everyone available and this group have the potential to bring silverware back Slaneyside! Whoever it is to be in charge next year the county board need to act fast in their decision .

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 419 - 26/07/2016 20:44:23    1890641

Link

I have no doubt that Dunne had a better panel of players at Oulart than Flannery had but couldnt even get out of Leinster. Plenty of their good players were over the hill by the time Flannery arrived. Tbh though I dont know much about Flannery as I no longer live in the county

lochgarmanabu (Wexford) - Posts: 1007 - 26/07/2016 20:54:47    1890647

Link

Replying To gminor:  "There's no point saying "whoever the manager is" you've given us your next year's league team, which i would agree with, so why not also give us an idea who you'd favour as next year's manager. As for me, for consistancy, I'd favour leaving Dunne in position for another year and if that doesn't happen, then getting the likes of Anthony Daly and paying him good money. Dublin have gone backwards since he left. Not much point in us going backwards by getting an unknown or someone with no pedigree at senior intercounty level."
Gminor,you only seem to pipe up here when people question Dunne's future or a load of I told you so posts after the cork game.

For what's it worth realistically I can only see flannery or jj getting the job but if we were looking further afield liam sheedy would be my choice,another possibly could be nicky english as he would a few of our lads through ucd but I'd imagine he be the next Dublin manager after Cunningham.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3482 - 26/07/2016 21:26:05    1890662

Link

Replying To wex82:  "Right lads let's be honest and fair here.In my opinion we are slightly better now than we were when Dunne took over and that is no doing of Dunne!! Dunne has had a lot of decent young hurlers coming through and in my opinion should have done a lot better.He did take the job at a time when nobody wanted it but I do actually believe in the next 3 years we won't be far away!!Dunne has to go get guiney Ian Byrne and Foley back (which I know they will once dunne is gone) and get few of those injuries sorted with a good manager and we will at least be competitive again.

My team
1 Breen

2 Moore
3 O Hanlon
4 Ryan

5 Murphy
6 Foley
7 Kenny

8 Redmond
9 Ian Byrne

10 Shore
11 Chin
12Guiney

13 L Of
14 Mac
15 Foley"
No D O'Keeffe 1 of our most consistent players in the last 2 years

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3482 - 26/07/2016 21:35:55    1890666

Link

Lochgarmanabu Frank Flannery had the same panel that Liam Dunne had, the only difference was the younger players (Peter Murphy, Tommy Storey, Shaun Murphy, Eoin Moore etc.) had spent three years under Dunne's development. Look what happened when Martin Storey got them! Exactly what is happening with the Wex snrs at the moment, it just takes time to develop players. Oulart bet the Laois, Westmeath and Dublin champions to win Leinster 2015. If Oulart get out of Wex this year they play the Offaly champions, then the KK champions - the 2016 Leinster championship has a very different route this year. The route Dunne had to deal with was always via KK or Offaly. Now to be fair Kevin Sheridan, Conor O'Leary, Billy Dunne, Murta Doyle and Peter Sutton are the new players that Frank Flannery has introduced.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 26/07/2016 21:36:37    1890667

Link

Replying To gminor:  "Anyone with one brain cell wouldn't claim that those who support Dunne remaining on as manager love him, it just happens that they have a different view than you. Get over it and stop insulting people's intelligence."
Read your post. The only insult on anyones intelligence is in your first sentence.
I note you have nothing to say about the substance of my post. Funny how you pick at my frazing when you have no facts to argue against my logic!! No fear of me insulting your intelligence anyway!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 471 - 26/07/2016 21:42:06    1890670

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Lochgarmanabu Frank Flannery had the same panel that Liam Dunne had, the only difference was the younger players (Peter Murphy, Tommy Storey, Shaun Murphy, Eoin Moore etc.) had spent three years under Dunne's development. Look what happened when Martin Storey got them! Exactly what is happening with the Wex snrs at the moment, it just takes time to develop players. Oulart bet the Laois, Westmeath and Dublin champions to win Leinster 2015. If Oulart get out of Wex this year they play the Offaly champions, then the KK champions - the 2016 Leinster championship has a very different route this year. The route Dunne had to deal with was always via KK or Offaly. Now to be fair Kevin Sheridan, Conor O'Leary, Billy Dunne, Murta Doyle and Peter Sutton are the new players that Frank Flannery has introduced."
I find it amazing how you are so blind in your belief that you claim they had the same team! Oulart had 4 or 5 new players this year and most of the main players are at the tail end of their careers.
Dunne had oulart in their prime! 7 and 8 players county fit, county sharp and still didnt achieve!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 471 - 26/07/2016 22:15:09    1890687

Link

http://hoganstand.com/forum/FindPostPage.aspx?MessageID=1890667

There seems to be lots of vested interests posting on this forum, being able to post under anonymous names is never a good idea, sure Liam or JJ could be posting here, fighting their own corner, but for the moment lets deal with the facts.

Fact 1- Flannery won the Leinster Final with an ageing team, most people felt they had reached their sell by date- dont forget the likes of Rossiter and Jacob didnt feature in Dunnes county set up, G Sinnott either. Oulart had being trying to win that elusive Leinster Final from the 90's, but failed under Dunne and Storey, but what was the difference with Flannerys team, two things in my opinion- preparation and belief, they had a plan. Even watching them in their pre match warm up there looks to be a plan in place, guys know what they are meant to do.

I see people knocking Flannery for his involvement in this years Cork set up, but what was his involvement in that set up? Having seen Cork a few times, he wasnt even a water carrier, I just wonder what involvement he had in that team, the Rock looked to be the main man in that set up.

Is Flannery the right man for the job, I dont know, hes young, and that didnt really work with Power's appointment, but I have a funny feeling Flannery is the hurling equivalent of Jason Ryan, it will take balls from the County Board to appoint him, but if Wexford wont someone else will.

PatrickS (Wexford) - Posts: 5 - 26/07/2016 23:57:55    1890728

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Gminor,you only seem to pipe up here when people question Dunne's future or a load of I told you so posts after the cork game.

For what's it worth realistically I can only see flannery or jj getting the job but if we were looking further afield liam sheedy would be my choice,another possibly could be nicky english as he would a few of our lads through ucd but I'd imagine he be the next Dublin manager after Cunningham."
For you to have any credibility show me where "I told you so" after the Cork game. And yes most of my post are supporting Liam Dunne just like most of yours are scathing aginst him. Can I not have an opinion that Dunne is the best man to bring wexford hurling to the next level.

Neither JJ nor Flanner have any history of success or even know what it takes as neither of them have ever managed at this level. You and a lot more like you want to kick out a manager with 5 years experience at the highest level for someone with none. In what other walk of life would you see that happening. We played four Championship games this year and won two. Apart from 2014 when Dunne was also manager, when last did we achieve that level of success?

JJ needs to work out how to get the U21 across the line before he's handed the big job. Other than seeing him with oulart, I've no comment to make on Flannery and I'd safely say, neither have you.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 27/07/2016 09:24:50    1890790

Link

Replying To gminor:  "For you to have any credibility show me where "I told you so" after the Cork game. And yes most of my post are supporting Liam Dunne just like most of yours are scathing aginst him. Can I not have an opinion that Dunne is the best man to bring wexford hurling to the next level.

Neither JJ nor Flanner have any history of success or even know what it takes as neither of them have ever managed at this level. You and a lot more like you want to kick out a manager with 5 years experience at the highest level for someone with none. In what other walk of life would you see that happening. We played four Championship games this year and won two. Apart from 2014 when Dunne was also manager, when last did we achieve that level of success?

JJ needs to work out how to get the U21 across the line before he's handed the big job. Other than seeing him with oulart, I've no comment to make on Flannery and I'd safely say, neither have you."
I'm curious as to how you think Liam Dunne should be handed another term? I would like to hear some facts, not unbacked up statements.

Any interview he does he is always talking about building, 5 years building, what has he got to show for it, this year and last year were both disasters, beating Cork a few weeks ago? Is that his claim to fame, the current Cork team must rank as one of the poorest ever teams in that county's proud history.

PatrickS (Wexford) - Posts: 5 - 27/07/2016 09:54:40    1890804

Link

Replying To PatrickS:  "I'm curious as to how you think Liam Dunne should be handed another term? I would like to hear some facts, not unbacked up statements.

Any interview he does he is always talking about building, 5 years building, what has he got to show for it, this year and last year were both disasters, beating Cork a few weeks ago? Is that his claim to fame, the current Cork team must rank as one of the poorest ever teams in that county's proud history."
He also talks about these knives and manages to make it all him!!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 471 - 27/07/2016 10:05:46    1890816

Link

Liam having a pop at Gizzy, got to admire his all guns blazing attitude in the media.

Frankie63 (Wexford) - Posts: 64 - 27/07/2016 10:27:46    1890829

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Gminor,you only seem to pipe up here when people question Dunne's future or a load of I told you so posts after the cork game.

For what's it worth realistically I can only see flannery or jj getting the job but if we were looking further afield liam sheedy would be my choice,another possibly could be nicky english as he would a few of our lads through ucd but I'd imagine he be the next Dublin manager after Cunningham."
you're have to be joking if you think sheehy daly english cunningham etc... would be interested in taking on a county with as little hurling talent as wexford--------------seriously but, these guys are looking for winners

boarts (Limerick) - Posts: 67 - 27/07/2016 11:37:03    1890875

Link

Replying To Frankie63:  "Liam having a pop at Gizzy, got to admire his all guns blazing attitude in the media."
How sad is that quote in paper about Lyng. So embarrassing for our county. First current players then past players.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 27/07/2016 11:44:37    1890881

Link