Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Very dissapointing day out. Can take no positives at all. Had the blaas had their range in the first half it would have been Limerick '14 all over again.
What in the name of God is wrong with us? Even when there's the slightest bit of optimism or expectation we blow up spectacularly. Trend now with teams going back way before Dunne's tenure for that matter.

Dirk (Wexford) - Posts: 65 - 24/07/2016 20:28:56    1889355

Link

Hard Luck on all the players today, I agree with previous posters with there being a gulf in class but there is also a gulf in coaching. Liam Dunne has done what he could over the last few years in fairness, not a easy job to take on. It does show we are not playing regular at this level and it is hampering development. I think a re-think is needed at county board level, a clean sweep needed with current coaches with a new emphasis on the club game. We cannot develop plqyers not playing regularly with their club. Hurling needs to be introduced in national schools and developed from there. We have improved a little but we still way off top table with the quality of player. Today it's tough to keep going, a lot of sacrifice needed from players in the county set up, we cannot just fall off the Hurling radar, we need to change what we are doing and try something new. Recently approached a school with good people with good intentions about setting up a few hours hurling for the kids during the week and have it consistent from one year to the next, surprised to say was met with all the excuses in the world from Teachers, Insurance? No intentions of staying after school hours to help out. They had no interest in promoting Hurling despite Money been made available and qualified coaches standing in. WTF
To today's game, one question could someone answer, why did we deploy a spare man in the backs in the second half when we were down by5-8 points?? Never made any effort in moving up, when ball after ball was being cleared by De Burka? Why do we use this method of hurling? Centre back-MOH was decent today in fairness and handled MShanahan well. Have to say was impressed with the minor centre back! Too many players weren't up to scratch today, take McDonald and Chin out of the game and we Flucked!

Tox73 (Wexford) - Posts: 130 - 24/07/2016 20:39:05    1889363

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "It's a good job you don't post too often with Comments such as Paul Morris is afraid of getting injured"
i think some lads need to stop and think before they post on this , look at the amount of injuries we had this year , if everyone is fit we would really push waterford but sadly we did not . another two injuries today with moore and lee chin took a bad knock on his ankle hence he palyed full forward in the game . hopefully next year we will have a full clean bill of health for who ever is manager be it dunne or who ever , because i think we have a bones of a good team there but we need everyone fit .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 24/07/2016 20:59:11    1889375

Link

Replying To gusseraneman:  "i think some lads need to stop and think before they post on this , look at the amount of injuries we had this year , if everyone is fit we would really push waterford but sadly we did not . another two injuries today with moore and lee chin took a bad knock on his ankle hence he palyed full forward in the game . hopefully next year we will have a full clean bill of health for who ever is manager be it dunne or who ever , because i think we have a bones of a good team there but we need everyone fit ."
That's it in a nutshell gusseraneman.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 24/07/2016 21:31:26    1889399

Link

Replying To gusseraneman:  "i think some lads need to stop and think before they post on this , look at the amount of injuries we had this year , if everyone is fit we would really push waterford but sadly we did not . another two injuries today with moore and lee chin took a bad knock on his ankle hence he palyed full forward in the game . hopefully next year we will have a full clean bill of health for who ever is manager be it dunne or who ever , because i think we have a bones of a good team there but we need everyone fit ."
Today was a disappointment and it's a pity we could not get closer than 5 points in the second half. Eoin Moore loss at that stage was a real bummer as all our backs were on top.

If you are being brutal about it, in this years championship, we beat the joint 4th best team in Leinster followed by beating the joint 4th best team in Munster. I think this is where we are at.

1 thing that bugged me before the match was the pre match warm up ... Waterford were out early doing short sharp passing and quick drills. Wexford came out late and the drills were a lot less intense. I thought we lost the match in the first 20 minutes as Waterford were at championship intensity and we weren't that focused early on. Our warm up wasn't good enough it.

The second point is the loss of midfield. We are missing a fully fit David Redmond and Aidan Nolan. The minute that chin got that knock, we lost his influence around the middle of the park. He did his best but you could see he wasn't 100%. Wexford lost the middle third against Dublin and Waterford and we won that middle third against Offaly and Cork. The loss of Chins influence was massive.

Waterford dominated us aerially. What a difference a fully right Chin, a fit David Redmond, a fit Andrew Shore and fully pumped Jack Guiney would have made.

I genuinely belief that there is a lot more potential in this panel that was delivered today.

Finally I would like to thank the players and management for all their efforts this year.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 243 - 24/07/2016 21:46:02    1889406

Link

Disappointing day for the players and all involved who have given there all and sad to see Eoin Moore being carried off the field. Will be back on the road next January to support them.

nickolas (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 24/07/2016 23:30:34    1889454

Link

Two main things that baffled me today... Constant long puck outs to congested half forward line with only 1 ball winner and with at least 2 spare waterford players to get breaking ball... More variety needed quick short puck out on every time then go long and bypass the cluster if need be...

Secondly why when playing a team that has been working on a defensive sweeper system for a long time would we try to match that defensive system especially when the waterford players for first time in a long might be questioning their system...

Tipperary showed the bravery that I have been saying for a long time especially against a team like waterford who have no treat inside and just relie on frees and long range points for majority of their scores.... Be brave if they want to play with 7 backs we play with 7 forwards... Trust our backs 5 v 5... Pin them back try turn it into a high scoring game... Low scoring game always suits waterford....

It might not always work but that is basically how tipp played the last day... Was worth a try if waterford were exploiting space change it up
By playing defenceivly Wexford played to the strength of waterford system... Their backs won easy ball and we're able to get up the field into scoring range without much hassle.. All Wexford players behind the ball largely redundant watching waterford drive wides and points over their heads.

But more importantly with waterford players for the first time in long time at least sub consciously questioning their system it was vital to start well get a lead take them out of their comfort zone see how they react them put the game in the melting pot... Instead we still play with a sweeper throughout second half and bow out meakly...

wexwanderer (Wexford) - Posts: 22 - 24/07/2016 23:57:47    1889462

Link

Also very strange game of hurling... Aside from paudie foley especially... O Hanlon then Jack o Connor Moore Martin o Keefee to a lesser extent... Wexford players had very little possessions of the ball

I would love to see the stats of the amount of possessions each individual Wexford player had...

Even gypo and o Keefee rarely touched the ball.. Convoy was bypassed all day... Kehoe might of had 3 or 4 possessions before been replaced. Chin started well but waterford adjustment of placing moran in front of him and injury don't think he touched ball whole second half until last 5 mins.

Mcgovern and Morris say u can count on one hand the amount of times the got ball in hand.. Dunne and Mcdonald had a few more possessions at least...

My point with chins injury meaning he could effectively only stand full forward reducing our options I think 1 or both of mcgovern and Dunne getting the possession o Hanlon and foley were getting second half using their speed to run at waterford from deep or maybe use the ball better than foley.

At least move our players to try get them into the game or else take them off.... Our management attitude seems to be if it is working don't change.. But if it is not working keep doing the same thing.

Point in case did nicky Kirwan even get the ball in his hand once in 20 minutes

wexwanderer (Wexford) - Posts: 22 - 25/07/2016 00:14:54    1889467

Link

Injuries aside we would not have beat that Waterford side with those tactics, as already pointed out leaving a spare man at the back when you are desperate for scores is scandalous, everyone in the whole country knows what way waterford set up so to walk straight into the game like that beggers belief.
I thought our backs were managing well but we gave away way too many free's, wont get into talking about individuals as no one goes out there to play poorly but dear God something has to change as these defeats (Minor & Senior) are knocking the life out of me.

Frankie63 (Wexford) - Posts: 64 - 25/07/2016 07:50:27    1889489

Link

All this development squads were looked into previously and have yielded 3 Leinster u21s and a first Leinster minor final for a few years with other minor teams beating and being competitive with Dublin and Kilkenny. We can't ask for much more underage. Oulart have been competitive in Leinster club championships over a few years as well. Why this loss of competitiveness at senior? I think both management and players have fallen short of expectations which is shown by the staggering inconsistency of results - take league and championship games against offaly and Waterford as simple barometers of this. Two things that worry me though is the number players leaving or not joining the panel and the number of injuries. I know it's a tough game etc but are players doing the wrong training or being brought back too early from injuries and hence not recovering. Add to this the whole fiasco with not registering Lee Chin for the Dublin game and all in all I'm just left with a bad taste about the running of Hurling in Wexford.

1798man (Wexford) - Posts: 164 - 25/07/2016 09:24:25    1889510

Link

Replying To Tox73:  "Hard Luck on all the players today, I agree with previous posters with there being a gulf in class but there is also a gulf in coaching. Liam Dunne has done what he could over the last few years in fairness, not a easy job to take on. It does show we are not playing regular at this level and it is hampering development. I think a re-think is needed at county board level, a clean sweep needed with current coaches with a new emphasis on the club game. We cannot develop plqyers not playing regularly with their club. Hurling needs to be introduced in national schools and developed from there. We have improved a little but we still way off top table with the quality of player. Today it's tough to keep going, a lot of sacrifice needed from players in the county set up, we cannot just fall off the Hurling radar, we need to change what we are doing and try something new. Recently approached a school with good people with good intentions about setting up a few hours hurling for the kids during the week and have it consistent from one year to the next, surprised to say was met with all the excuses in the world from Teachers, Insurance? No intentions of staying after school hours to help out. They had no interest in promoting Hurling despite Money been made available and qualified coaches standing in. WTF
To today's game, one question could someone answer, why did we deploy a spare man in the backs in the second half when we were down by5-8 points?? Never made any effort in moving up, when ball after ball was being cleared by De Burka? Why do we use this method of hurling? Centre back-MOH was decent today in fairness and handled MShanahan well. Have to say was impressed with the minor centre back! Too many players weren't up to scratch today, take McDonald and Chin out of the game and we Flucked!"
Just on your "clean sweep". What do you mean by that? You do know that there was an entire clean sweep of the paid coaching staff only last year?

As for the point on schools, it is up to clubs to ensure hurling is developed in schools. There are more than enough avenues available through the county board for hurling in schools. There are regular coaching sessions in every primary school and there is an availability to do the hurling 365 program in every school. Bar forcing kids to play or putting hurling on the curriculum, I'm not sure what else you think they should do? It's always easy to shoult out "oh this and that has to change" without actually giving any viable alternatives or suggestions. We're great for saying everything is wrong, what are we going to talk about to try offer some sort of solutions?

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 563 - 25/07/2016 09:41:51    1889520

Link

Replying To 1798man:  "All this development squads were looked into previously and have yielded 3 Leinster u21s and a first Leinster minor final for a few years with other minor teams beating and being competitive with Dublin and Kilkenny. We can't ask for much more underage. Oulart have been competitive in Leinster club championships over a few years as well. Why this loss of competitiveness at senior? I think both management and players have fallen short of expectations which is shown by the staggering inconsistency of results - take league and championship games against offaly and Waterford as simple barometers of this. Two things that worry me though is the number players leaving or not joining the panel and the number of injuries. I know it's a tough game etc but are players doing the wrong training or being brought back too early from injuries and hence not recovering. Add to this the whole fiasco with not registering Lee Chin for the Dublin game and all in all I'm just left with a bad taste about the running of Hurling in Wexford."
How can we not ask for more from under age???
Only school competing strongly at senior A is GCC and to be fair when they do best they have 4 or 5 kk minors!! Peters have won one or 2 games in 10 years!! Enniscorthy CBS are now stuck as an average B team having been A for a good few years. Fcj are gone backwards and to be fair gorey and wex CBS are improving but still weak in the grand scheme!!!

Do you really think we cannot ask for more? No minor title since 1985!!!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 25/07/2016 09:47:46    1889526

Link

Replying To 1798man:  "All this development squads were looked into previously and have yielded 3 Leinster u21s and a first Leinster minor final for a few years with other minor teams beating and being competitive with Dublin and Kilkenny. We can't ask for much more underage. Oulart have been competitive in Leinster club championships over a few years as well. Why this loss of competitiveness at senior? I think both management and players have fallen short of expectations which is shown by the staggering inconsistency of results - take league and championship games against offaly and Waterford as simple barometers of this. Two things that worry me though is the number players leaving or not joining the panel and the number of injuries. I know it's a tough game etc but are players doing the wrong training or being brought back too early from injuries and hence not recovering. Add to this the whole fiasco with not registering Lee Chin for the Dublin game and all in all I'm just left with a bad taste about the running of Hurling in Wexford."
Sorry but in the last ten years we have been beaten at minor by carlow laois and westmeath, cant as for much more??
Im no dunne fan but and im sure we should be doing better at senior but you cant make out that he has been getting lads in who were used to winning!! When did we last beat dublin at minor before this year??

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 25/07/2016 09:58:07    1889534

Link

tox73 wrote:
We cannot develop plqyers not playing regularly with their club. absolutely agree.the clubs have had access to players but yet another summer has passed and not a club has struck a hurling ball.this cannot continue.to be fair to LD,he did try to give the clubs access to players but it was not enough.we need matches in the summer,and i have said this since 1996 which was when this farce really took hold.TWENTY YEARS AGO.
Hurling needs to be introduced in national schools and developed from there.agree...but until we start giving scholarships to county hurlers and camogie players who become teachers,i cant see this changing.some teachers do great work and some others just are too lazy to do anything.
we have improved a little but we still way off top table with the quality of playerdisagree,with the right coaching and game plan,i think we can be the 3rd best team in the country at least.

people can slate LD all they want but he took over a job which not a sinner would touch with a barge pole.he improved the setup immensely and leaves a team ripe with young talent which makes the job much more appealing.the easy thing to do would have been to walk away but LD never walked away from anything in his life and owes wexford hurling nothing.

the big question is,who is next?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 25/07/2016 09:58:42    1889536

Link

Look we simply are not good enough bottom line,the way i see it is if you want to hurl at the top hurlin has to be ur number one priority in life,now thats a decision the individual has to make,i think the majority of lads on that team or panel are happy to be just playing for wexford!! Take lee chin he does notting else but train and hurl thats why hes one of our better hurlers,he gives it all of his time!! All this thing about working and gettin time to do things is a cop out!! If u want to be competetive well u have to give it everything,the lads r good enough but i dont think its priorty to them to be honest!! I think the mentality with the majority is that im great i hurl for wexford,sure if we win or lose i hurl for wexford!! Thats my opinion on it!! U will get ur arse handed back to you every day like we have been for the last number of years when u think like that!!its not worth doin if u dont do it right,i think the players need to take a long look at themselves to be honest!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 25/07/2016 11:09:14    1889581

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "tox73 wrote:
We cannot develop plqyers not playing regularly with their club. absolutely agree.the clubs have had access to players but yet another summer has passed and not a club has struck a hurling ball.this cannot continue.to be fair to LD,he did try to give the clubs access to players but it was not enough.we need matches in the summer,and i have said this since 1996 which was when this farce really took hold.TWENTY YEARS AGO.
Hurling needs to be introduced in national schools and developed from there.agree...but until we start giving scholarships to county hurlers and camogie players who become teachers,i cant see this changing.some teachers do great work and some others just are too lazy to do anything.
we have improved a little but we still way off top table with the quality of playerdisagree,with the right coaching and game plan,i think we can be the 3rd best team in the country at least.

people can slate LD all they want but he took over a job which not a sinner would touch with a barge pole.he improved the setup immensely and leaves a team ripe with young talent which makes the job much more appealing.the easy thing to do would have been to walk away but LD never walked away from anything in his life and owes wexford hurling nothing.

the big question is,who is next?"
I would not always blame the teachers. In a parish near me a newly trained young local teacher and a prominent provincial footballer applied for a vacant post in the local school. A man in his fifties from many miles away got the job. Fact is some parents ate not keen on gaelic games.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 3030 - 25/07/2016 11:54:25    1889607

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Look we simply are not good enough bottom line,the way i see it is if you want to hurl at the top hurlin has to be ur number one priority in life,now thats a decision the individual has to make,i think the majority of lads on that team or panel are happy to be just playing for wexford!! Take lee chin he does notting else but train and hurl thats why hes one of our better hurlers,he gives it all of his time!! All this thing about working and gettin time to do things is a cop out!! If u want to be competetive well u have to give it everything,the lads r good enough but i dont think its priorty to them to be honest!! I think the mentality with the majority is that im great i hurl for wexford,sure if we win or lose i hurl for wexford!! Thats my opinion on it!! U will get ur arse handed back to you every day like we have been for the last number of years when u think like that!!its not worth doin if u dont do it right,i think the players need to take a long look at themselves to be honest!!"
Ah lad, how can you say working is a cop out? None of them get paid for hurling so it will have to come second at times.
I agree with some of what your saying but thats a wexford wide thing. White socks, small shorts, look at me! Looking good is more important to young lads than playing well and playing hard. Im not talking about the seniors here, i see this as more of a problem with teenagers and development squads!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 25/07/2016 12:05:22    1889616

Link

theboys,that is without doubt the most pointless moan i have ever read on here.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 25/07/2016 12:19:46    1889629

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Look we simply are not good enough bottom line,the way i see it is if you want to hurl at the top hurlin has to be ur number one priority in life,now thats a decision the individual has to make,i think the majority of lads on that team or panel are happy to be just playing for wexford!! Take lee chin he does notting else but train and hurl thats why hes one of our better hurlers,he gives it all of his time!! All this thing about working and gettin time to do things is a cop out!! If u want to be competetive well u have to give it everything,the lads r good enough but i dont think its priorty to them to be honest!! I think the mentality with the majority is that im great i hurl for wexford,sure if we win or lose i hurl for wexford!! Thats my opinion on it!! U will get ur arse handed back to you every day like we have been for the last number of years when u think like that!!its not worth doin if u dont do it right,i think the players need to take a long look at themselves to be honest!!"
Players need to have a good hard look at themselves because they wont quit their jobs and play an amateur hobby fulltime?

I dont think its the players who need to have a look at themselves if thats the type of attitude we have to them.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 563 - 25/07/2016 12:34:18    1889642

Link

That is utter madness so you think players should but there professional careers on the back burner and concentrate totally on hurling,you think all of the lads in our panel based in Dublin drive down 2 or 3 times a week to ferns or wexford park or wherever just a get a free tracksuit and say they hurl for wexford,the demands on players these days are insane in my view no wonder intercounty careers are getting shorter and shorter

You gave lee chin as an example,he's a student so it's easier for the likes of him aswel

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 25/07/2016 12:53:58    1889656

Link