Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well done to all the players and management !
Was in a pub in Spain with random Wexford people who love their hurling. This is where Wexford hurling should be at, year in year out ... Good hurling and passionate displays.
It pains me to think how much we messed up with little underage coaching in the past.

Anyway ... It's all about now.
It's a serious result that makes us proud and other hurling folk take notice.
For those of you old enough, it is particularly sweet to beat Cork, as Wexford lost 2 all Ireland's in a row in the mid 70's and that monkey has been on our back since. Not anymore! And Thurles as well !

Well done to all the team and the management!
Lots of players showed leadership on the field of play. More of the same please in 2 weeks time ! Well done to all!

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 243 - 10/07/2016 15:18:12    1880052

Link

What an evening in Thurles, personally it tops Waterford in Nowlan Park two years back. Was able to race down the Old Stand to the tunnel area and applaud the lads on their way off the field.

Six backs played with ferocious intensity and were also well-disciplined (low free count). Thought O'Hanlon and Moore were especially good throughout. Big well done to subs Andrew Kenny and Simon Donohoe too, young lads who came on and did well when the game was in the melting pot.

Further up the field, Chin was immense from first whistle to last. Leads by example and punches above his weight aerially and physically. That score seconds after the Cork goal immediately settled us, with Liam Óg then picking off two massive scores in quick succession. David Dunne, despite not scoring, always carried a threat, and I'm certain he won 2-3 frees which Mac converted. That's Offaly and Cork now who've struggled to deal with his pace.

Conor Mac deserves plenty of praise for his accuracy from placed balls, and three great points from play to boot. Thought MOTM was a toss up between Chin and himself. As regards the man on the sideline, fair play to Liam Dunne. The vultures were circling beforehand but that's championship victories over Clare, Waterford and Cork now in recent times. He's undertaken a huge rebuilding job on the squad, just look at the number of recent U21 graduates involved yesterday (10+). And none of that nonsense about "players not wanting to play for him" !

I expect the bandwagon will kick into gear now for the QFs, which is a good thing I suppose. That said, it really was extremely disappointing to see so few of us turn up last night and get behind the lads. We used to have a reputation for great support, especially in the mid-late 90's and early 00's. It's about time we got that reputation back !

jacobshook (Wexford) - Posts: 6 - 10/07/2016 15:29:01    1880060

Link

Replying To gminor:  "So good you had to say it twice. The only problem I had with your little band of merry men was that ye blindly refused to accept the work done in the the two phases of redevelopment, 2012 -2014 and from 2014 - 2016. Ye gave no credence to the fact that the championship team was desimated with injury. There just seemed to be, what in my opinion, was a mindless rant to get rid of the manager without ever looking at the bigger picture.

Notwithstanding that the team setup, preparation and excution was excellant last night, I've no doubt if cork had scrapped a one point win after the gifted goal I'm sure ye'd be back on here this morning looking for Liam Dunnes head and again, blindly ignoring everything else.

Don't worry the wound will heal and the bleeding will stop eventually.

On another point who gave you the authority to speak on behalf of other posters. Am I getting the message that there's a conspiracy going on here or are you just licking up to the other people you mentioned hoping that they'll back you - stand on your own two feet man"
My opinion of Liam Dunne's ability to take us forward has not changed. But I was as happy as anybody in thurles yesterday

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1760 - 10/07/2016 15:57:52    1880094

Link

Are we guaranteed to play Waterford lads? Seem as Clare already played them in the championship maybe I'm wrong though.Would much rather face the deise myself their confidence will be shot after this beating and we have shown already this year we are more than capable of beating them

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 10/07/2016 17:24:53    1880161

Link

Doylerwex seriously!! You've a personal agenda against Dunne and management, you need to check your attitude. It's actually laughable at this this stage. That team were well prepared, organised, focused and wanted to play for their management etc. Are they all ireland winners who knows, lets not get ahead of ourselves, but they are back to where they want to be, have NO expectations etc. And as supporters we get another day out. It's a win win situation.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 10/07/2016 17:33:08    1880170

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Are we guaranteed to play Waterford lads? Seem as Clare already played them in the championship maybe I'm wrong though.Would much rather face the deise myself their confidence will be shot after this beating and we have shown already this year we are more than capable of beating them"
Yes Waterford it is,I'd imagine a treble header in thurles in 2 wks,probably us and limerick in the minor at 12,us and Waterford at 2 and Clare and Galway at 4

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 10/07/2016 17:37:40    1880173

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Yes Waterford it is,I'd imagine a treble header in thurles in 2 wks,probably us and limerick in the minor at 12,us and Waterford at 2 and Clare and Galway at 4"
should have no fear of the donegal of hurling , doe if their is anything in them we should expect a back lash . but i think we have a brillant chance cant wait .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 10/07/2016 17:50:51    1880185

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Yes Waterford it is,I'd imagine a treble header in thurles in 2 wks,probably us and limerick in the minor at 12,us and Waterford at 2 and Clare and Galway at 4"
I think since the Dublin game there has been a different approach to our style of hurling,, we are playing a lot more direct hurling and I'm sure it's Waterford we have in the quarter's and you see how direct Tipperary were in the second half (albeit of a big wind behind them) and you see how Waterford struggled with it but like ourselves we got hammered against Dublin and we've bounced back since and Waterford be looking to do the same in two weeks time....

juan31 (Wexford) - Posts: 142 - 10/07/2016 17:54:28    1880187

Link

Replying To juan31:  "I think since the Dublin game there has been a different approach to our style of hurling,, we are playing a lot more direct hurling and I'm sure it's Waterford we have in the quarter's and you see how direct Tipperary were in the second half (albeit of a big wind behind them) and you see how Waterford struggled with it but like ourselves we got hammered against Dublin and we've bounced back since and Waterford be looking to do the same in two weeks time...."
3 hours ago Waterford were been considered as serious contenders for Liam so despite their performance today they'll still pose a formidable challenge,in fairness I think alot will depend on how much today's game takes out of them mentally and how much there confidence will be dented
,there approach will be interesting aswel as their system malfunctioned today so I'll imagine they'll change something ,as I said previously we're in bonus territory so if we go out in and hurl with freedom like yesterday who knows

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 10/07/2016 18:18:39    1880226

Link

Replying To Doylerwex:  "My opinion of Liam Dunne's ability to take us forward has not changed. But I was as happy as anybody in thurles yesterday"
It's my ooinion that your ability to judge a hurling manager's ability is seriously questionable.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 10/07/2016 18:38:42    1880252

Link

Replying To gminor:  "It's my ooinion that your ability to judge a hurling manager's ability is seriously questionable."
'opinion'

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 10/07/2016 18:49:48    1880263

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Doylerwex seriously!! You've a personal agenda against Dunne and management, you need to check your attitude. It's actually laughable at this this stage. That team were well prepared, organised, focused and wanted to play for their management etc. Are they all ireland winners who knows, lets not get ahead of ourselves, but they are back to where they want to be, have NO expectations etc. And as supporters we get another day out. It's a win win situation."
Im not sure how you can keep saying that they played for the management. They play for a lot of things and the management is one, along with their county, club, family and most importantly themselves and their team mates. If anybody has an anti management agenda you are as guilty of having a pro management agenda. I think they are just opinions but you seem to think they are agendas!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 10/07/2016 18:57:03    1880270

Link

Replying To gminor:  "It's my ooinion that your ability to judge a hurling manager's ability is seriously questionable."
Gminor it would nice to see you have a opinion on a match,tactics,individual performance etc. instead of berating others people for having a opinion,just saying

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 10/07/2016 18:59:48    1880276

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Gminor it would nice to see you have a opinion on a match,tactics,individual performance etc. instead of berating others people for having a opinion,just saying"
as was pointed out above by pinkie,i think he is right to say gminor is a troll.dont feed him.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 10/07/2016 19:24:30    1880303

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "I have not posted in a while but I have watched with interest, replying to gminor is just feeding a troll. All this talk of going to every match, etc yet never once has anything been offered on a performance of anyone. I wonder is he that Cork poster in disguise, or the one who a while back ruined the board with nonsensical ramblings?

Anyway, back to yesterday. Fantastic! It was not a skillful performance but no shortage of heart. We battled to a win. Great performances by O'Hanlon, Foley (with the exception of the mistake for the goal), Jack O in the first half, McDonald throughout and David Dunne also. But for me,
Chin stood head and shoulders above any man on the field. His aerial ability, his workrate, were second to none.
In the midst of a terrible injury crisis, we found new leaders yesterday. Liam Og popped up with 2 vital points having not troubled the score keeper in the first 65 minutes. James Breen got to grips with Cadogan in the 2nd half.
So now we have every chance of winning a quarter final. But we need to significantly improve on yesterday also. Too many times Cork players found 5-10 yards on our lads, sometimes we over elaborated when a quick ball down the field was the better option.
The support yesterday was vocal but badly out numbered. Luckily in the Ardan O'Riain there was a larger contingent. I know it is not the easiest place to get to from Wexford but we have a duty to support our team if we want Wexford hurling to get back to the top. Bringing children to a big match is worth all the Cul Camps in the world. Get kids wanting to hurl in front of 50k people, wanting to make the sacrifice to do so, is vital. The Independent today reflects badly on our supporters, mentioning our paltry attendance. And look, what is 2 hours in a car when you beat Cork!
Yesterday reminded me of our win over Tipp in 2007, a small support but sweet for those who witnessed it.
So ignore the talk of Cork being bad, we were more up for the fight and we deserved our win.
UP WEXFORD!!!!!!"
"I have not posted in a while but I have watched with interest, replying to gminor is just feeding a troll. All this talk of going to every match, etc yet never once has anything been offered on a performance of anyone. I wonder is he that Cork poster in disguise, or the one who a while back ruined the board with nonsensical ramblings"?

Well now ain't you a bright boy. You have no idea in the wide word who I am, but for sure I'm neither a troll nor a cork man, but you believe whatever makes you feel good.

If you are so smart I'm sure you've noticed that my agenda was solely to back the current management and panel for the improvement of Wexford hurling, give backing to like-minded people on here and give balance to the debate on that subject - i'm happy we have achieved success for this year. Anytime i mentioned attending games was in response to other contributer's queries. If that makes me a troll in your eyes then you have no idea what a troll is.

ADVICE: I'm not your local paper; if you want professional match analysis, get the national or local newspapers. You could get 10 analysis on here and you'd think you were reading about 10 different games. The reason I decline to do so or get involved in those debates is because I'm not a profession analyst and I prefer to leave that to those who are - not you though.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 10/07/2016 19:25:07    1880308

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Doylerwex seriously!! You've a personal agenda against Dunne and management, you need to check your attitude. It's actually laughable at this this stage. That team were well prepared, organised, focused and wanted to play for their management etc. Are they all ireland winners who knows, lets not get ahead of ourselves, but they are back to where they want to be, have NO expectations etc. And as supporters we get another day out. It's a win win situation."
I don't know where you're getting that from. I've never had any personal agenda. I was delighted with his appointment, and grateful to him. Fantastic record up to 2014. Our performances since with the exception of Limerick in the league last year and Waterford in the league this year just aren't up to scratch. Also too many good players are jumping ship. I still believe we need some new ideas and a shake up to kick on again. He is a personal hero of mine and I'll always be grateful to him but looking forward to next year I'd like to see something fresh. Having said that I'm delighted with yesterday and the prospect of playing Waterford.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1760 - 10/07/2016 19:32:32    1880316

Link

Minors also playi g Linerick who were hammered by Tipp today in 2 weeks time. It's going to be a massive day for Wexford hurling more than likely in thurles. Surely a capacity crowd is expected and hopefully a huge Wexford following. Can't Wait!

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 10/07/2016 19:42:37    1880328

Link

this waterford team are beatable after today,for sure they will regroup but if we play with an increased intensity,cut out some of the loose marking that we were guilty of,we could find ourselves 70 minutes away from an all-ireland final.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 10/07/2016 19:53:44    1880344

Link

also it was great to see liam dunne,a most passionate wexford man,up and down the sideline yesterday.he was well up for this,showing the fight and passion and no doubt making the linesman think carefully about every decision.
why did it take 4.99 years to see it!

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 10/07/2016 19:55:38    1880347

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Minors also playi g Linerick who were hammered by Tipp today in 2 weeks time. It's going to be a massive day for Wexford hurling more than likely in thurles. Surely a capacity crowd is expected and hopefully a huge Wexford following. Can't Wait!"
What a load of nonsense. Both Limerick and Wexford had to play three different teams to reach this stage and in order to reach an All Ireland Semi Final Galway have only to play Antrim.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 3030 - 10/07/2016 20:51:40    1880405

Link