Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

With yere hurlers due to play Roscommon on Sunday, will these latest developments have any impact on that game do ye think ???

Rossie14 (Roscommon) - Posts: 16 - 03/11/2020 21:34:06    2304958

Link

Replying To Rossie14:  "With yere hurlers due to play Roscommon on Sunday, will these latest developments have any impact on that game do ye think ???"
Yeah our dual players will now be fresh for Sunday

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 351 - 03/11/2020 21:47:48    2304961

Link

The Galway game is off and we have forfeited

Firstly hope the players and staff are ok, and that no family members catch it,

A small part of me is sad we won't be in the Connacht Championship this year, I wanted to see our reaction to the Limerick performance to see a bit of pride restored in the jersey as you always hope that a big performance could happen however a much larger part of me expected a hammering.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 03/11/2020 22:21:11    2304966

Link

So we're out and now the talk of the GAA community. I hope the lads are safe and well but one has to ask how did this happen? If we were able to run club championship with no forfeits and teams have a smaller pick how are we in a situation where we can't field by pulling lads up or how did it happen that precautions didn't work for senior team?

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 81 - 04/11/2020 11:01:17    2305043

Link

Heartened to see the support the squad and management are receiving. With each passing day, I personally feel more disappointed as I was curious to see how we would react to the last day so to have that taken away must be 10 times worse for the squad and management. Added to that Isolating in your room and hoping your symptom-free and don't pass it on is a tough time for all the families as well so my thoughts are with everyone affected.

Sligo were following the guidelines and it's just by chance you could catch it and bring it into the squad. I'd be surprised if we end up being the only team affected during the championship.

I think the CB has handled it as well as you can with the rapid testing and statements and obviously behind the scenes stuff. There was no choice but to concede as parameters were forced upon us. I have no doubt we asked for rescheduling but even for all parties that's tough going from self-isolating, no training to playing against Galway but Connacht Council would never agree to it anyway.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 04/11/2020 17:15:27    2305166

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Heartened to see the support the squad and management are receiving. With each passing day, I personally feel more disappointed as I was curious to see how we would react to the last day so to have that taken away must be 10 times worse for the squad and management. Added to that Isolating in your room and hoping your symptom-free and don't pass it on is a tough time for all the families as well so my thoughts are with everyone affected.

Sligo were following the guidelines and it's just by chance you could catch it and bring it into the squad. I'd be surprised if we end up being the only team affected during the championship.

I think the CB has handled it as well as you can with the rapid testing and statements and obviously behind the scenes stuff. There was no choice but to concede as parameters were forced upon us. I have no doubt we asked for rescheduling but even for all parties that's tough going from self-isolating, no training to playing against Galway but Connacht Council would never agree to it anyway."
Well if the 7 players got the virus at training then someone has to answer questions as to how this happened. Are trainings and games not meant to be carried out in as safe a manner to reduce the risk of spread? No other county had as many players with positive cases that we know about anyway. If it is the case then other counties need to learn from the mistakes made by Sligo for their own players welfare.

I understand it's easy for someone to pick it up unknown to themselves but for them to spread it to 6 others at a training session would indicate something wasn't done properly. Fermanagh's cases were due to several of the players living together or celebrating county final successes and being deemed close contacts. I don't think we ever were told the number of cases they had but the total affected including close contacts.

If it's the case that most of these contracted it outside of the GAA, then it's just a run of very bad luck that the low enough recent cases in Sligo happened to affect so many of our county players.

Anyway good wishes to those affected.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 81 - 04/11/2020 18:35:42    2305178

Link

The aftermath of Sligo's decision not to field against Galway rumbles on with the players now making a statement basically saying that they wanted to play the game. We have a lot to thank Thomas O Se for. His ignorant, arrogant comment meant that he kept the pot boiling on a story that would have been dead by last Wednesday evening. It was heartening to hear how Gaels all over the country stood in solidarity behind Sligo's decision to withdraw from the competition once
O Se made his views known.The Leitrim chairman rolled in behind us (I am going to find it hard to motivate myself to beat them next year) Jimmy Jests came out on Facebook with a brilliant piece The only people that remained tight lipped was the Co Board who failed to come out and show support for management or players. Word is that despite getting asked to see a postponement they didn't accede tythe request as Connacht Council were not asked for a postponement. They probably would not have got it but I would put the onus on the GAA to come out and deny us that chance first. Remember Newbridge or Nowhere. Croke Park had to step down or indeed Roscommon stating that the Connacht final was going to be in the Hyde despite it fixed for elsewhere. No our Co Board showed us all what they are like. Definely keeping their mouth shut wasn't the best option

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 07/11/2020 08:31:05    2305744

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "The aftermath of Sligo's decision not to field against Galway rumbles on with the players now making a statement basically saying that they wanted to play the game. We have a lot to thank Thomas O Se for. His ignorant, arrogant comment meant that he kept the pot boiling on a story that would have been dead by last Wednesday evening. It was heartening to hear how Gaels all over the country stood in solidarity behind Sligo's decision to withdraw from the competition once
O Se made his views known.The Leitrim chairman rolled in behind us (I am going to find it hard to motivate myself to beat them next year) Jimmy Jests came out on Facebook with a brilliant piece The only people that remained tight lipped was the Co Board who failed to come out and show support for management or players. Word is that despite getting asked to see a postponement they didn't accede tythe request as Connacht Council were not asked for a postponement. They probably would not have got it but I would put the onus on the GAA to come out and deny us that chance first. Remember Newbridge or Nowhere. Croke Park had to step down or indeed Roscommon stating that the Connacht final was going to be in the Hyde despite it fixed for elsewhere. No our Co Board showed us all what they are like. Definely keeping their mouth shut wasn't the best option"
Good post and at the end of the day health is most important. Don't get me wrong.. we all love sport. At the end of the day those lads are amateurs. Personally I think they made the correct decision and I admire all involved. Just remember those lads have families, those who weren't in close contact have work Monday morning. As far county board is concerned that's typical, to stand back and hide from what happens

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 07/11/2020 13:01:14    2305798

Link

What is the feelings on the players statement?

Is it a ploy to get rid of the manager?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 238 - 08/11/2020 09:59:36    2306003

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "What is the feelings on the players statement?

Is it a ploy to get rid of the manager?"
Well it's definitely not an expression of confidence!!

Whereismyman (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 08/11/2020 11:56:37    2306036

Link

I wouldn't pass any heed of the players statement. Taylor is still very popular with most players and like every county panel there's always a few upset. It was aimed I imagine at the Co Board that never looked for a postponement. The line from Croke Park that there is no room for refixing games isn't true. If the country had a red weather warning this weekend and all games were called off would that mean the entire championship would be abandoned ? Sligo Rovers semi final was postponed to Loads of rugby fixtures also were interrupted. 11 members with covid and it has spread to families do the rest of the panel honestly think that they were going to play. On a lighter note I really loved Cork beating Kerry. It will make it an easier task for Dublin to win 6 in a row but it wiped the smugness off the face of some pundits

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 09/11/2020 11:05:05    2306697

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I wouldn't pass any heed of the players statement. Taylor is still very popular with most players and like every county panel there's always a few upset. It was aimed I imagine at the Co Board that never looked for a postponement. The line from Croke Park that there is no room for refixing games isn't true. If the country had a red weather warning this weekend and all games were called off would that mean the entire championship would be abandoned ? Sligo Rovers semi final was postponed to Loads of rugby fixtures also were interrupted. 11 members with covid and it has spread to families do the rest of the panel honestly think that they were going to play. On a lighter note I really loved Cork beating Kerry. It will make it an easier task for Dublin to win 6 in a row but it wiped the smugness off the face of some pundits"
you must be crazy young Eoin, its mayos to lose ;)

sligopublican (Sligo) - Posts: 43 - 09/11/2020 11:50:16    2306721

Link

Replying To sligopublican:  "you must be crazy young Eoin, its mayos to lose ;)"
What will happen when a disaster happens and it is actually Mayo's year ? Perish the thought.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 09/11/2020 16:04:59    2306875

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I wouldn't pass any heed of the players statement. Taylor is still very popular with most players and like every county panel there's always a few upset. It was aimed I imagine at the Co Board that never looked for a postponement. The line from Croke Park that there is no room for refixing games isn't true. If the country had a red weather warning this weekend and all games were called off would that mean the entire championship would be abandoned ? Sligo Rovers semi final was postponed to Loads of rugby fixtures also were interrupted. 11 members with covid and it has spread to families do the rest of the panel honestly think that they were going to play. On a lighter note I really loved Cork beating Kerry. It will make it an easier task for Dublin to win 6 in a row but it wiped the smugness off the face of some pundits"
Taylor is still popular with a 16% win rate. Are u having a laugh? Maybe its time to get someone in there who is ruthless l, unpopular with high standards.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 282 - 09/11/2020 21:08:09    2306999

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Taylor is still popular with a 16% win rate. Are u having a laugh? Maybe its time to get someone in there who is ruthless l, unpopular with high standards."
Not laughing at all. He is popular with the lads cos they believe in him. If they all hated him then everyone would say he has to go cos he has lost the dressing room so it's an impossible situation.
I think he will step down. If he doesn't he will probably be pushed. He won't be pushed for footballing reasons. It will be totally political. Politics was never as big an issue in the Co Board as it is now, and funny enough it's his own party that have the knives out.
In the current set up the easiest thing is to get rid of Taylor. Then what .?? Who will take us on. The last Manager ( who I was delighted to see gone) could only attract a job with a club team in Carlow before he got the Carlow job. The man before him left and then won a Co title in Roscommon. Managing Sligo didn't raise their profile much did it. If you exclude Taylor it's a very good backroom team. There isn't a better one in Div 4. What have we to offer a new manager ? No U.21 title ever, and 1 minor title over 40 years ago. This in a province of 5 counties. Our very successful club champions are paying"expenses" way above what our senior manager is getting. A mgt job with a good club team in Connacht is more lucrative than with us. The best and most sought after young manager in Connacht happens to be from Sligo. His C.V would nose dive if he came in with us. I would certainly shift at least 4 of the big guns in Sligo who are contributing nothing at exec level plus oige who just seems to be constantly under the radar and accountable to no one. The one exception is our Treasurer who is stepping down and I genuinely fear for our financial position in the years ahead as he steadied the ship after one administration hit the rocks. After that clear out you can start with the manager. As I said at the beginning Taylor will go to but he is not the problem.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 09/11/2020 22:53:28    2307057

Link

isnt there rumours of a certain established ulster manager waiting in the wings.......

sligopublican (Sligo) - Posts: 43 - 10/11/2020 08:53:42    2307094

Link

Replying To sligopublican:  "isnt there rumours of a certain established ulster manager waiting in the wings......."
Completely forgot about our last ulster manager. He left such an impression that I cant remembered his name

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 10/11/2020 10:18:52    2307116

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Not laughing at all. He is popular with the lads cos they believe in him. If they all hated him then everyone would say he has to go cos he has lost the dressing room so it's an impossible situation.
I think he will step down. If he doesn't he will probably be pushed. He won't be pushed for footballing reasons. It will be totally political. Politics was never as big an issue in the Co Board as it is now, and funny enough it's his own party that have the knives out.
In the current set up the easiest thing is to get rid of Taylor. Then what .?? Who will take us on. The last Manager ( who I was delighted to see gone) could only attract a job with a club team in Carlow before he got the Carlow job. The man before him left and then won a Co title in Roscommon. Managing Sligo didn't raise their profile much did it. If you exclude Taylor it's a very good backroom team. There isn't a better one in Div 4. What have we to offer a new manager ? No U.21 title ever, and 1 minor title over 40 years ago. This in a province of 5 counties. Our very successful club champions are paying"expenses" way above what our senior manager is getting. A mgt job with a good club team in Connacht is more lucrative than with us. The best and most sought after young manager in Connacht happens to be from Sligo. His C.V would nose dive if he came in with us. I would certainly shift at least 4 of the big guns in Sligo who are contributing nothing at exec level plus oige who just seems to be constantly under the radar and accountable to no one. The one exception is our Treasurer who is stepping down and I genuinely fear for our financial position in the years ahead as he steadied the ship after one administration hit the rocks. After that clear out you can start with the manager. As I said at the beginning Taylor will go to but he is not the problem."
Ya don't paint a pretty picture if half of what you say is true. Whatever about the politics you're on about it people should leave politics out of the GAA as it has a political scene of its own. Taylor was always going to have those accusations around him anyway so I'm sure he's used to that.

Tbh regardless of his politics or his playing career he simply hasn't got the results winning as someone said 16% of the games in two years. If he has sense he'll walk before being pushed. While he may have an impressive backroom team ultimately the book stops with him. Also I'd say they're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart and are charging too so I'd wonder if the current set up is any cheaper than the previous one. Anyway it shouldn't be about getting cheap lads as we see the results of that.

Perhaps some of the backroom team would be interested in the role if they're up to it and believe in the panel of players they have. There'll always be someone to take on a county team, their motivations however may not be always in the best place. As for our Treasurer, all I can say is that its on the backs of the clubs that things have improved. Every club is levied to the hilt with Club Sligo targets to hit at a time when most people wouldn't go to the garden to watch them.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 81 - 10/11/2020 13:30:20    2307191

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Ya don't paint a pretty picture if half of what you say is true. Whatever about the politics you're on about it people should leave politics out of the GAA as it has a political scene of its own. Taylor was always going to have those accusations around him anyway so I'm sure he's used to that.

Tbh regardless of his politics or his playing career he simply hasn't got the results winning as someone said 16% of the games in two years. If he has sense he'll walk before being pushed. While he may have an impressive backroom team ultimately the book stops with him. Also I'd say they're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart and are charging too so I'd wonder if the current set up is any cheaper than the previous one. Anyway it shouldn't be about getting cheap lads as we see the results of that.

Perhaps some of the backroom team would be interested in the role if they're up to it and believe in the panel of players they have. There'll always be someone to take on a county team, their motivations however may not be always in the best place. As for our Treasurer, all I can say is that its on the backs of the clubs that things have improved. Every club is levied to the hilt with Club Sligo targets to hit at a time when most people wouldn't go to the garden to watch them."
He won't be pushed for footballing reasons. It will be totally political.

This is a laughable statement. Under his management team Sligo have won 3 out of 18 games. Doe that not deserve removal for footballing reasons? One of the criticisms of county board is giving him a second year having lost every game last year. It is was blatantly clear he was out of his depth.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 282 - 10/11/2020 23:17:46    2307419

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Ya don't paint a pretty picture if half of what you say is true. Whatever about the politics you're on about it people should leave politics out of the GAA as it has a political scene of its own. Taylor was always going to have those accusations around him anyway so I'm sure he's used to that.

Perhaps some of the backroom team would be interested in the role if they're up to it and believe in the panel of players they have. There'll always be someone to take on a county team, their motivations however may not be always in the best place. As for our Treasurer, all I can say is that its on the backs of the clubs that things have improved. Every club is levied to the hilt with Club Sligo targets to hit at a time when most people wouldn't go to the garden to watch them."
Good points, with regard to the treasurer remember how we were the laughing stock of the country,1.4 million in debt I think, gates locked, not a goal post to be seen only 2 foot of Grass. He steadied the ship, negotiated with the banks, got funding from Croke Park and got the job done. We were promised results on the pitch, I am still waiting for these.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 11/11/2020 11:15:35    2307491

Link