Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This season has been a shambles from start to finish. Management cant be blamed for everything in this setup.Don't get me wrong Im no Taylor fan, I was against his appointment from the start but no manager can turn water to wine either.Players have to be accountable aswell.Theres no winning philosophy in this dressing room. Constantly fallen back on the young team excuse and saying we ll compete in 3-4 yrs. Sligos winning nothing Unless drastic changes in coaching and county board. I try to stay positive but its time we open our eyes to mess and laughing stock of the gaa Sligo Gaa is. Pat spillane called game today last week on sunday game before a ball was even kicked. Theres no way a Sligo team should be beaten by the likes of Waterford, Limerick and carlow where football is there third Most popular sport. Watching game today I Noticed the same things thats been wrong for years. No ball winner in midfield, fail time and time again to win 50/50 Balls

SligoFan2468 (Sligo) - Posts: 2 - 24/10/2020 22:56:45    2301002

Link

Replying To SligoFan2468:  "This season has been a shambles from start to finish. Management cant be blamed for everything in this setup.Don't get me wrong Im no Taylor fan, I was against his appointment from the start but no manager can turn water to wine either.Players have to be accountable aswell.Theres no winning philosophy in this dressing room. Constantly fallen back on the young team excuse and saying we ll compete in 3-4 yrs. Sligos winning nothing Unless drastic changes in coaching and county board. I try to stay positive but its time we open our eyes to mess and laughing stock of the gaa Sligo Gaa is. Pat spillane called game today last week on sunday game before a ball was even kicked. Theres no way a Sligo team should be beaten by the likes of Waterford, Limerick and carlow where football is there third Most popular sport. Watching game today I Noticed the same things thats been wrong for years. No ball winner in midfield, fail time and time again to win 50/50 Balls"
Fair play to ya ,that 100%right and of mcintyre,and ross were back for even this year ,straight away they d prob b promoted ,real power ,real pace ,whats there now ,might have pace thats it

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 146 - 25/10/2020 20:32:07    2301360

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "Fair play to ya ,that 100%right and of mcintyre,and ross were back for even this year ,straight away they d prob b promoted ,real power ,real pace ,whats there now ,might have pace thats it"
There's always one or two players were missing. I'm hearing that since I was told on this site that in 2002 where Someone spouted how if we had a fit Taylor we'd have won the AA. Every team is missing players every year. Teams have to move on and adapt. Physically, we are a joke. This management team has won 3 games in two years against poor sides and lost to teams as bad and worse. Year one, give benefit of the doubt but you need results in year two. Especially against this level of opposition. It's time to move on and give somebody else a chance in the hot seat in my opinion.

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 53 - 27/10/2020 13:22:09    2301985

Link

Its hard to know where to start but in most organisations you have to look at the top and our county board? Are they up to it? I am led to believe there is much in-fighting and that its far from harmonious so that's of concern to hear stories like that. To see a league table and us basically only above London and Waterford in division 4 is pretty much as bad as it gets. I know we are a small county but we are below smaller ones and counties whose main focus is hurling.

Changing the manager will now have to happen. There are obviously many other things need changing too as its not all on him we are this poor.

maximus_1 (Sligo) - Posts: 15 - 27/10/2020 16:32:35    2302137

Link

Jees I just got round to watching the Limerick game. It could be the worst performance I have ever seen from a Sligo team given the level of opposition. I was absolutely furious watching it. Limerick missed 4/5 easy goal chances throughout the game and the last 5 mins made the scoreline look much better than it should.

I took some notes
6mins 20sec - no pressure on kickers, 4 Sligo players react too slowly - over the bar
13 mins Burke goal - 2 defenders getting the wrong side of forward, honestly there were about 10/15 instances of Sligo players not tracking or reacting late and letting the Limerick ghost past them. It looked like laziness to me.
17min - our forward gets the ball in scoring position back to goal, runs out to the 45 and lays off, All he had to do was turn right and loads of space, lack of awareness, lack of confidence, playing it overly safe, and back into congestion. No belief here at all. It was a common theme and so predictable. Sligo would then go and back and over and back with no intensity. Pointless stuff. At least have a go and back yourself. This is Div4.
19min - not a great kickout, but midfielders asleep, Limerick win it and untouched walk through us another Goal chance, great save by Kilgannon.
22 min - Limerick hit crossbar but if you watch it the limerick player is inside our defence because of lazy tracking and a better pass straight through but got the chance anyway further out.
23.16 min - back pass to the GK that had to be seen to be believed, blessed to get away with.
28 min Limerick point - no pressure, a training session for them.
Our players casual on the ball equals turnovers.

Now one would of thought Sligo would wake after the first water break, after half time but no,

37 mins - Limerick waltz through the center, rounds GK and misses, should of been a penalty as he was fouled
40 mins - Easy goal chance for Limerick striaght up the field from defence, no one touched and stupidly fists it over the bar from 7 yards.
45 mins - Disgraceful tracking another lImerick score.
56 mins another Limerick Goal chance - disgraceful defending
66 mins another Limerick score untouched - no pressure

Another thing that really annoyed me was the number of times our players had the hands-on their head, you do know that boosts the opposition, your basically telling them you're not fit. At least pretend and show different body language even if you are under pressure physically.

With the ball the Sligo players would always be isolated and if you watch the footage you'll see 6 or 7 Sligo players who could support waltz in the background, with no effort to get on the move.
The number of easy turnovers shocking especially in the forward line and backs coming out of defence.
The lack of responsibility of the players was genuinely shocking, Kilgannon tried to drive us outpacing defenders coming out and showing leadership, Carrabine and Red Og were the only ones of merit although I thought Cox, Gorman made significant improvements.

Honestly knowing the management team watched the Carlow game again and I presume analyzed it to start the team they did shows no learning. We have plenty of issues but some players are not even close to good enough at this level and if the subs are better what are ye playing at?

A few factors
It was a dead rubber for us but you see then it's a test of character, what does the jersey mean to you? Given the effort on the show, I would say not much.
The wind seemed stronger in 1st half.
We somehow got back to 2 pts.
Sean Carrabine and Kilgannon I salute you both, couldn't fault you.

The future
The subs did better but would not be hard as clearly some of the starters aren't good enough. For the management not to see this they deserve to go. I was not happy with Taylors appointment and he's had enough of a chance to get things right but more worrying for me is his backroom team is on paper at least strong with Dineen and Keane so if they cant get better out of us that perplexes me.
The other worrying thing is this team is backboned by a team that could of won Minor Connacht in 2015 and u21 in 2017 and look where we are in 2020/21. Schools success etc... so for me is underage even worth it? There's something wrong with bringing players through that have pace or are good enough. If this performance is in them it's hard to hope because it was disgraceful and the players need to look at themselves. The players know this game was being filmed and anyone can watch it, right? Previously you could hide behind the fact only 200 people would witness this kind of stuff.
There needs to be a culture change within Sligo, there needs to be a mindset and attitude change also. I am not convinced of the mental strength and resilience of these players. That is the only thing that explains the difference between Carlow and here. The Jersey deserves better. The Carlow performance would have beaten Limerick out the gate. We have a loser mindset, we cannot handle criticism even if it's constructive, we only want success if we are involved, lack self-awareness, there are so many things wrong, players who didn't commit are costing us too.

The County Board needs change too, the whole vision of where we are going is not right, if all that work and money spent on underage is resulting in this well a new approach is needed.

Galway up next, play like the last day it will be a massacre.

Then Taylor goes and then what they pick another inexperienced manager who players won't commit for. Repeat, repeat and repeat. Sligo County Board should get Gaago to take the game down so no other manager sees it.

This performance needs to get called out. It brought shame on the County imo. Nowhere near 100% effort and that is all we ask but for some reason in Sligo for the 30 years I've watched us, this is in us.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 27/10/2020 21:58:39    2302289

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Jees I just got round to watching the Limerick game. It could be the worst performance I have ever seen from a Sligo team given the level of opposition. I was absolutely furious watching it. Limerick missed 4/5 easy goal chances throughout the game and the last 5 mins made the scoreline look much better than it should.

I took some notes
6mins 20sec - no pressure on kickers, 4 Sligo players react too slowly - over the bar
13 mins Burke goal - 2 defenders getting the wrong side of forward, honestly there were about 10/15 instances of Sligo players not tracking or reacting late and letting the Limerick ghost past them. It looked like laziness to me.
17min - our forward gets the ball in scoring position back to goal, runs out to the 45 and lays off, All he had to do was turn right and loads of space, lack of awareness, lack of confidence, playing it overly safe, and back into congestion. No belief here at all. It was a common theme and so predictable. Sligo would then go and back and over and back with no intensity. Pointless stuff. At least have a go and back yourself. This is Div4.
19min - not a great kickout, but midfielders asleep, Limerick win it and untouched walk through us another Goal chance, great save by Kilgannon.
22 min - Limerick hit crossbar but if you watch it the limerick player is inside our defence because of lazy tracking and a better pass straight through but got the chance anyway further out.
23.16 min - back pass to the GK that had to be seen to be believed, blessed to get away with.

Now one would of thought Sligo would wake after the first water break, after half time but no,

37 mins - Limerick waltz through the center, rounds GK and misses, should of been a penalty as he was fouled
40 mins - Easy goal chance for Limerick striaght up the field from defence, no one touched and stupidly fists it over the bar from 7 yards.

Another thing that really annoyed me was the number of times our players had the hands-on their head, you do know that boosts the opposition, your basically telling them you're not fit. At least pretend and show different body language even if you are under pressure physically.

With the ball the Sligo players would always be isolated and if you watch the footage you'll see 6 or 7 Sligo players who could support waltz in the background, with no effort to get on the move.
The number of easy turnovers shocking especially in the forward line and backs coming out of defence.
The lack of responsibility of the players was genuinely shocking, Kilgannon tried to drive us outpacing defenders coming out and showing leadership, Carrabine and Red Og were the only ones of merit although I thought Cox, Gorman made significant improvements.

Honestly knowing the management team watched the Carlow game again and I presume analyzed it to start the team they did shows no learning. We have plenty of issues but some players are not even close to good enough at this level and if the subs are better what are ye playing at?

A few factors
It was a dead rubber for us but you see then it's a test of character, what does the jersey mean to you? Given the effort on the show, I would say not much.

The future
The subs did better but would not be hard as clearly some of the starters aren't good enough. For the management not to see this they deserve to go. I was not happy with Taylors appointment and he's had enough of a chance to get things right but more worrying for me is his backroom team is on paper at least strong with Dineen and Keane so if they cant get better out of us that perplexes me.
The other worrying thing is this team is backboned by a team that could of won Minor Connacht in 2015 and u21 in 2017 and look where we are in 2020/21. Schools success etc... so for me is underage even worth it? There's something wrong with bringing players through that have pace or are good enough. If this performance is in them it's hard to hope because it was disgraceful and the players need to look at themselves. The players know this game was being filmed and anyone can watch it, right? Previously you could hide behind the fact only 200 people would witness this kind of stuff.
There needs to be a culture change within Sligo, there needs to be a mindset and attitude change also. I am not convinced of the mental strength and resilience of these players. That is the only thing that explains the difference between Carlow and here. The Jersey deserves better. The Carlow performance would have beaten Limerick out the gate. We have a loser mindset, we cannot handle criticism even if it's constructive, we only want success if we are involved, lack self-awareness, there are so many things wrong, players who didn't commit are costing us too.

The County Board needs change too, the whole vision of where we are going is not right, if all that work and money spent on underage is resulting in this well a new approach is needed.

Then Taylor goes and then what they pick another inexperienced manager who players won't commit for. Repeat, repeat and repeat. Sligo County Board should get Gaago to take the game down so no other manager sees it.

This performance needs to get called out. It brought shame on the County imo. Nowhere near 100% effort and that is all we ask but for some reason in Sligo for the 30 years I've watched us, this is in us."
Maggie is back and like Nostradamus everything I predicted has come to pass.
While your article holds merit on a lot of levels, there are two fundamentals that are overlooked.
Firstly , expectation or the unrealistic expectations of some supporters,who start a thread of criticism that has no bearing on facts. After 136 years of competition, counties find their natural level and by and large they remain in that zone with the odd fluctuation here and there. For demographic reasons,it is usually not possible to deviate from this situation. In my opinion and based on history , Sligo's level is somewhere in the lower D2 upper D3 area.
The ambition at all times should be to achieve excellence in this area and move to the next level.
Recently we have dropped out of this level and now we seem to be embedded in a lower level to an alarming degree,so much so,that the likes of Wicklow ,Leitrim, Fermanagh, Waterford ,Limerick etc.. see us as a soft touch.
Terrible for a county that was seen as being able to put it up to the best of them on a given day and whilst not ever winning that many titles, no county ever liked playing us .
Secondly, the major reason for the complete collapse of the Senior team's competitiveness is the alarming fall in the standard of what is considered a county player . This has come about by having a club championship that is not fit for purpose. If anyone doubts this look at the progress of Sligo clubs when they compete outside the county. Not picking on Easkey in particular, but to show the vast chasm that exists at Club level between Sligo and Kerry, one need look no further than last years Junior final. Tourlestrane are cutting no mustard outside Sligo and even when the odds favour them in games in Connacht ,they don't have the ability to get over the line as happened last year. A long way from the heady days of St.Marys regularly competing in Connacht finals and more. The non-competitive nature of most games in the club championships is the main reason for this. Any competition that has more dead , rubber games than white-hot,knock out ones, is doomed to failure and we are now reaping the sad rewards of this. Meanwhile, Sligeach Abù.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 29/10/2020 10:37:31    2302743

Link

Maggiepie, 100% spot on. One of the best posts ever on this forum.

1980 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 29/10/2020 15:00:37    2302847

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  "
Replying To Sligonian:  "Jees I just got round to watching the Limerick game. It could be the worst performance I have ever seen from a Sligo team given the level of opposition. I was absolutely furious watching it. Limerick missed 4/5 easy goal chances throughout the game and the last 5 mins made the scoreline look much better than it should.

I took some notes

A few factors

The future

This performance needs to get called out. It brought shame on the County imo. Nowhere near 100% effort and that is all we ask but for some reason in Sligo for the 30 years I've watched us, this is in us."
While your article holds merit on a lot of levels, there are two fundamentals that are overlooked.
Firstly , expectation or the unrealistic expectations of some supporters,who start a thread of criticism that has no bearing on facts. After 136 years of competition, counties find their natural level and by and large they remain in that zone with the odd fluctuation here and there. For demographic reasons,it is usually not possible to deviate from this situation. In my opinion and based on history , Sligo's level is somewhere in the lower D2 upper D3 area.
The ambition at all times should be to achieve excellence in this area and move to the next level.
Recently we have dropped out of this level and now we seem to be embedded in a lower level to an alarming degree,so much so,that the likes of Wicklow ,Leitrim, Fermanagh, Waterford ,Limerick etc.. see us as a soft touch.
Terrible for a county that was seen as being able to put it up to the best of them on a given day and whilst not ever winning that many titles, no county ever liked playing us .
Secondly, the major reason for the complete collapse of the Senior team's competitiveness is the alarming fall in the standard of what is considered a county player . This has come about by having a club championship that is not fit for purpose. If anyone doubts this look at the progress of Sligo clubs when they compete outside the county. Not picking on Easkey in particular, but to show the vast chasm that exists at Club level between Sligo and Kerry, one need look no further than last years Junior final. Tourlestrane are cutting no mustard outside Sligo and even when the odds favour them in games in Connacht ,they don't have the ability to get over the line as happened last year. A long way from the heady days of St.Marys regularly competing in Connacht finals and more. The non-competitive nature of most games in the club championships is the main reason for this. Any competition that has more dead , rubber games than white-hot,knock out ones, is doomed to failure and we are now reaping the sad rewards of this. Meanwhile, Sligeach Abù."
Maggiepie, You say I overlook 2 fundamentals - first seems to relate to unrealistic expectation - I don't know any Sligofan out there expecting Sligo to be competing in Div1 consistently. I agree with your point that our consistent level is lower Div2 upper Div3 but with the right conditions, we can do better. I would add that I have an expectation of players giving 100% when the Jersey is put on. If you want to recite history Sligo were a top tier team in late 90s early 2000s, we were beating the best in the league in Div1, we even got to a league semi-final in 2001 and were always there or thereabouts. In championship, we flopped at times but could beat anyone. We have always had mindset issues even when we had that great team. Here's a precursor that in 95/96/98 we had underage teams similar to now in 2015/17 where we got to Connacht finals and should have won them, only mindset cost us, the weight of history etc.., but in 2002 we peaked with those players, that is almost a like for like trajectory as now with those 2015/17 teams so we should be more competitive. So what has gone drastically wrong this time? County Board is not good, the Manager is not where it needs to be, it looks like we have sabotaged any progress.
And it's worth pointing out without any underage success as a precursor we won Connacht in 2007 and should of won in 2010 and 2012. So, if we take a step back that could have been 3 senior titles in 5 years with no underage precursor for success.
Second point - you do know Easkey came up against a Kerry club that had fallen way below their own natural level to Junior but were a senior league team in Kerry? That doesn't help your point. Kerry's club structure is very unique given the amalgamations at senior. The other point you made is you say the club championship is un-competitive, did you watch any club games this year? Tourlestrane beat Calry by a 1pt, Marys by a 1pt and Drumcliffe by 3, Drumcliffe won their semi-final by a point, that's about as competitive as it gets. However, we all know the standard is not the best. How would a different structure make players better?
Getting rid of Taylor doesn't mean our County Board will pick a good manager? For me if I was manager and saw players not giving 100% they would get one more chance and they would be gone, if you remember Wicklow loss and Waterford, I remember Taylors interview and he called the players out on this so here we are again against Limerick. Looking at Wicklow from last year they have huge improvement under Davey Burke.

Look in soccer terms what Marcelo Bielsa has done to Leeds United. Managers can create cultural change, attitude, and mindset change necessary but first it came from new owners and directors. I work in this field and I see it all the time where people carry a huge amount of past trauma or baggage and I see at epidemic proportions within Sligo GAA. Leeds had something similar to the last 15 years like our County Boards they had terrible owners and administrators not all. No vision, no drive, lazy and didn't actually do anything. I think if we can very good people in at county board level it's the most important change. I know some in there are very good btw.

One of the eye openers for me is working other Irish people over here in GAA coaching how much more further ahead they are than Sligo. The players and the coaches are light years ahead of anyone I was involved with in Sligo. I am not talking about stronger counties either…. the attitude is there everytime, the workrate is there everytime, the commitment is there everytime. With everyone, no drama, elite mindsets. No ego's. It is far from all Taylors fault so just changing him without major change at CB level won't do a whole lot to improve things. It has to be both.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 29/10/2020 21:00:03    2302964

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "
Replying To Maggiepie:  "[quote=Sligonian:  "Jees I just got round to watching the Limerick game. It could be the worst performance I have ever seen from a Sligo team given the level of opposition. I was absolutely furious watching it. Limerick missed 4/5 easy goal chances throughout the game and the last 5 mins made the scoreline look much better than it should.

I took some notes

A few factors

The future

Secondly, the major reason for the complete collapse of the Senior team's competitiveness is the alarming fall in the standard of what is considered a county player . This has come about by having a club championship that is not fit for purpose. If anyone doubts this look at the progress of Sligo clubs when they compete outside the county. Not picking on Easkey in particular, but to show the vast chasm that exists at Club level between Sligo and Kerry, one need look no further than last years Junior final. Tourlestrane are cutting no mustard outside Sligo and even when the odds favour them in games in Connacht ,they don't have the ability to get over the line as happened last year. A long way from the heady days of St.Marys regularly competing in Connacht finals and more. The non-competitive nature of most games in the club championships is the main reason for this. Any competition that has more dead , rubber games than white-hot,knock out ones, is doomed to failure and we are now reaping the sad rewards of this. Meanwhile, Sligeach Abù."
Maggiepie, You say I overlook 2 fundamentals - first seems to relate to unrealistic expectation - I don't know any Sligofan out there expecting Sligo to be competing in Div1 consistently. I agree with your point that our consistent level is lower Div2 upper Div3 but with the right conditions, we can do better. I would add that I have an expectation of players giving 100% when the Jersey is put on. If you want to recite history Sligo were a top tier team in late 90s early 2000s, we were beating the best in the league in Div1, we even got to a league semi-final in 2001 and were always there or thereabouts. In championship, we flopped at times but could beat anyone. We have always had mindset issues even when we had that great team. Here's a precursor that in 95/96/98 we had underage teams similar to now in 2015/17 where we got to Connacht finals and should have won them, only mindset cost us, the weight of history etc.., but in 2002 we peaked with those players, that is almost a like for like trajectory as now with those 2015/17 teams so we should be more competitive. So what has gone drastically wrong this time? County Board is not good, the Manager is not where it needs to be, it looks like we have sabotaged any progress.
And it's worth pointing out without any underage success as a precursor we won Connacht in 2007 and should of won in 2010 and 2012. So, if we take a step back that could have been 3 senior titles in 5 years with no underage precursor for success.
Second point - you do know Easkey came up against a Kerry club that had fallen way below their own natural level to Junior but were a senior league team in Kerry? That doesn't help your point. Kerry's club structure is very unique given the amalgamations at senior. The other point you made is you say the club championship is un-competitive, did you watch any club games this year? Tourlestrane beat Calry by a 1pt, Marys by a 1pt and Drumcliffe by 3, Drumcliffe won their semi-final by a point, that's about as competitive as it gets. However, we all know the standard is not the best. How would a different structure make players better?
Getting rid of Taylor doesn't mean our County Board will pick a good manager? For me if I was manager and saw players not giving 100% they would get one more chance and they would be gone, if you remember Wicklow loss and Waterford, I remember Taylors interview and he called the players out on this so here we are again against Limerick. Looking at Wicklow from last year they have huge improvement under Davey Burke.

Look in soccer terms what Marcelo Bielsa has done to Leeds United. Managers can create cultural change, attitude, and mindset change necessary but first it came from new owners and directors. I work in this field and I see it all the time where people carry a huge amount of past trauma or baggage and I see at epidemic proportions within Sligo GAA. Leeds had something similar to the last 15 years like our County Boards they had terrible owners and administrators not all. No vision, no drive, lazy and didn't actually do anything. I think if we can very good people in at county board level it's the most important change. I know some in there are very good btw.

One of the eye openers for me is working other Irish people over here in GAA coaching how much more further ahead they are than Sligo. The players and the coaches are light years ahead of anyone I was involved with in Sligo. I am not talking about stronger counties either…. the attitude is there everytime, the workrate is there everytime, the commitment is there everytime. With everyone, no drama, elite mindsets. No ego's. It is far from all Taylors fault so just changing him without major change at CB level won't do a whole lot to improve things. It has to be both."]I think yourself and Maggiepie both raise good points. It had become acceptable to underperform by management and players. Moral victories of good performances against a better side have become common place over the years but the difference now was when you were putting in a decent shift against the likes of Mayo or Galway 5-10 years ago it's not the same as using the same bull excuse for losing to the likes of Carlow, Limerick etc. Sligo seem to accepted their fall from grace and are lying down.

Remember that Derry were in Division 4 last year after successive relegations all the way from division 1. Now I know that at club level they're much stronger than we are but they didn't wallow in the excuses of a team in transition/young lads etc that our crowd like to spout on the radio. They got their act together and came close to heading back to Division 2 where they belong. Roscommon played Division 4 football in 2011 after beating us in the Connacht final and have put plenty of silverware in the cabinet since.

My point is it can be done. The question now is why not for us? Starting off with your County Board theory. The county board ultimately will select the manager so yes they have some responsibility. They also reappointed a man after losing every game in 2019 some by large margins so they must take some flack there. They got rid of Corey after one year who by no means wasn't brilliant but at least Sligo were winning a few games then, so why not do the same for a worse performing one?. So if ya dig deeper into the problems at county board level and sort them out yes you might have the ability to appoint a decent manager. From what our club delegate says they're more interested in money and rules and fighting with one another than discussing football. Some of the same names have swapped from job to job over the last 15-20 years but what have they ever done in any job?

So my next question, how do you address it? Well quite frankly there seems to be damn all people putting their names forward when the same people are always on the board or else clubs aren't voting for change when people do go forward. I think clubs are too busy concerned about their own affairs and pass little interest at county level as to who is doing a good job or not as the case is.

As regards the championship being uncompetitive, yes over the last few years there were a lot of meaningless games but this year was better I thought. Maybe it was the Covid situation where everyone's preparation was affected or what I dunno. The changes that were made to the group stages worked I thought to create some winner takes all games as Sligonian pointed out likes of Calryv Tour, Mary's etc and the relegation threw up a surprise in Harps going. It could be better but I suppose at least we finished a championship this year unlike other counties. While games were competitive it's hard to judge what standard we're at. No more than in hurling where our seniors play Junior at Connacht level, id say our senior champs could have a battle to win Connacht at intermediate.

Overall there's little to inspire people to follow Sligo GAA currently. There are good players out there that won't commit to Taylor because they know he's not up to it so you can imagine what this is doing for morale in the rest of the dressing room.

If we could get the Clubs to hold the County Board to task to improve our lot by getting a new manager, make the changes we want at club competitions we might have some hope. It's clear most of the current lot can't be left to do it themselves or we wouldn't be in this mess. So it will take people within their own clubs to push for changes at county level, otherwise we'll be here in 12 months saying the same thing.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 30/10/2020 09:24:28    2303005

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "
Replying To Sligonian:  "[quote=Maggiepie:  "[quote=Sligonian:  "Jees I just got round to watching the Limerick game. It could be the worst performance I have ever seen from a Sligo team given the level of opposition. I was absolutely furious watching it. Limerick missed 4/5 easy goal chances throughout the game and the last 5 mins made the scoreline look much better than it should.

I took some notes

A few factors

The future

One of the eye openers for me is working other Irish people over here in GAA coaching how much more further ahead they are than Sligo. The players and the coaches are light years ahead of anyone I was involved with in Sligo. I am not talking about stronger counties either…. the attitude is there everytime, the workrate is there everytime, the commitment is there everytime. With everyone, no drama, elite mindsets. No ego's. It is far from all Taylors fault so just changing him without major change at CB level won't do a whole lot to improve things. It has to be both."]I think yourself and Maggiepie both raise good points. It had become acceptable to underperform by management and players. Moral victories of good performances against a better side have become common place over the years but the difference now was when you were putting in a decent shift against the likes of Mayo or Galway 5-10 years ago it's not the same as using the same bull excuse for losing to the likes of Carlow, Limerick etc. Sligo seem to accepted their fall from grace and are lying down.

Remember that Derry were in Division 4 last year after successive relegations all the way from division 1. Now I know that at club level they're much stronger than we are but they didn't wallow in the excuses of a team in transition/young lads etc that our crowd like to spout on the radio. They got their act together and came close to heading back to Division 2 where they belong. Roscommon played Division 4 football in 2011 after beating us in the Connacht final and have put plenty of silverware in the cabinet since.

My point is it can be done. The question now is why not for us? Starting off with your County Board theory. The county board ultimately will select the manager so yes they have some responsibility. They also reappointed a man after losing every game in 2019 some by large margins so they must take some flack there. They got rid of Corey after one year who by no means wasn't brilliant but at least Sligo were winning a few games then, so why not do the same for a worse performing one?. So if ya dig deeper into the problems at county board level and sort them out yes you might have the ability to appoint a decent manager. From what our club delegate says they're more interested in money and rules and fighting with one another than discussing football. Some of the same names have swapped from job to job over the last 15-20 years but what have they ever done in any job?

So my next question, how do you address it? Well quite frankly there seems to be damn all people putting their names forward when the same people are always on the board or else clubs aren't voting for change when people do go forward. I think clubs are too busy concerned about their own affairs and pass little interest at county level as to who is doing a good job or not as the case is.

As regards the championship being uncompetitive, yes over the last few years there were a lot of meaningless games but this year was better I thought. Maybe it was the Covid situation where everyone's preparation was affected or what I dunno. The changes that were made to the group stages worked I thought to create some winner takes all games as Sligonian pointed out likes of Calryv Tour, Mary's etc and the relegation threw up a surprise in Harps going. It could be better but I suppose at least we finished a championship this year unlike other counties. While games were competitive it's hard to judge what standard we're at. No more than in hurling where our seniors play Junior at Connacht level, id say our senior champs could have a battle to win Connacht at intermediate.

Overall there's little to inspire people to follow Sligo GAA currently. There are good players out there that won't commit to Taylor because they know he's not up to it so you can imagine what this is doing for morale in the rest of the dressing room.

If we could get the Clubs to hold the County Board to task to improve our lot by getting a new manager, make the changes we want at club competitions we might have some hope. It's clear most of the current lot can't be left to do it themselves or we wouldn't be in this mess. So it will take people within their own clubs to push for changes at county level, otherwise we'll be here in 12 months saying the same thing."]Who are the good players out there who won't commit cos Taylor's not up to it ??

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 31/10/2020 00:19:33    2303224

Link

Gremlins must be about when they posted an essay I didn't write the last time in my reply. Well if ya look at Niall Murphy for example arguably Sligo's best prospect the last few years, was just made captain and then he was travelling this year. With Covid everything was kicked back to the end of the year but still no mention of him being involved. Why are there not more of the Tourlestrane lads not getting involved? Is it because they couldn't be bothered for a team that's currently going no where or because club is the prime focus, or a combination of both?

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 31/10/2020 10:07:12    2303252

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Gremlins must be about when they posted an essay I didn't write the last time in my reply. Well if ya look at Niall Murphy for example arguably Sligo's best prospect the last few years, was just made captain and then he was travelling this year. With Covid everything was kicked back to the end of the year but still no mention of him being involved. Why are there not more of the Tourlestrane lads not getting involved? Is it because they couldn't be bothered for a team that's currently going no where or because club is the prime focus, or a combination of both?"
Gremlins must be about surely as that last line was mine. I don't know of many players not committing because of Taylor so I was hoping you would enlighten us. There were 31 players used this year.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 31/10/2020 11:52:51    2303282

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Gremlins must be about when they posted an essay I didn't write the last time in my reply. Well if ya look at Niall Murphy for example arguably Sligo's best prospect the last few years, was just made captain and then he was travelling this year. With Covid everything was kicked back to the end of the year but still no mention of him being involved. Why are there not more of the Tourlestrane lads not getting involved? Is it because they couldn't be bothered for a team that's currently going no where or because club is the prime focus, or a combination of both?"
Murphy is on America and not eligible to play against Galway even if he was around. I don't think he was missed. You would have expected that he would be a huge loss to Coolera but he really wasn't. Spends too much time with his hands on his hips. If Jack Mc Caffrey, Diarmuid Connolly, and Ross O Carroll can walk away at different times from the All Ireland winners Dublin then surely a Div 4 player is entitled to move also

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 31/10/2020 12:01:21    2303285

Link

I tend to agree with a lot of your comments Eoinog. You have hit the nail in the head regarding Sligo ambitions and County board credentials. You seem to give players a lot of slack in past comments. Niall Murphy being one you have criticised plenty. Is he not the best player in Sligo? Not a loss to Coolera? I think I'm correct in saying in 2019 he scored the majority of their scores in the county final. Has played many positions for Sligo in the past and clearly a loss to Sligo.

Sligoabu123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 31/10/2020 14:22:45    2303313

Link

Replying To Sligoabu123:  "I tend to agree with a lot of your comments Eoinog. You have hit the nail in the head regarding Sligo ambitions and County board credentials. You seem to give players a lot of slack in past comments. Niall Murphy being one you have criticised plenty. Is he not the best player in Sligo? Not a loss to Coolera? I think I'm correct in saying in 2019 he scored the majority of their scores in the county final. Has played many positions for Sligo in the past and clearly a loss to Sligo."
He is a serious talent but no work rate which in my book is unforgivable. I wish your county the best of luck this weekend. We will be playing each other next year so at least who ever gets the home tie the opposition won't have far to travel.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 31/10/2020 21:22:52    2303610

Link

It looks like Covid is going to be the thing that ruins our chance of winning the All Ireland, the only thing that could have stopped us, shame

Dublin's 6 in a row will be a hollow victory and will always remembered that it was not their efforts on the pitch that won them the title but rather Covid's efforts off the field. Sligo CB should request an asterisk be forever put beside the winners name to reflect this

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 348 - 03/11/2020 00:23:31    2304664

Link

Murphy is a loss to club and county but I don't begrudge anyone not involved. It's a choice. Does it hurt us I believe it does. The issue is probably the choice of manager and our current standing. Some players will overlook that for their county so I am naturally disappointed when players don't commit. Murphy has not fulfilled his potential with the club or county IMO. He still has plenty of football left in him so I hope he's back sooner rather than later.

With talented players, attitude is everything as hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work. As we saw against Limerick work rate is an issue.

Johnny Kelly from Tourlestrane is another huge loss. If we had both those not so many injuries we should have enough to get out of div4.

Galway game looks in serious doubt with news breaking on the positive covid tests within the squad. It will play itself out over the week and I hope everyone is ok with no negative effects.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 03/11/2020 05:03:52    2304670

Link

Looks like Galway game is on the rocks. Can we put 15 lads that aren't considered close contacts to honour the fixture anyway? Not as if we were going to win

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 03/11/2020 08:48:55    2304678

Link

will ye field a team lads?

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 03/11/2020 19:35:30    2304938

Link

If Croke Park stick to their guns I doubt if we will be able to field. Minimum of 14 players gone at this stage with more results to come back. We have dual players so that also complicates things as they have already thrown a game. Hopefully all players and families are ok.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 03/11/2020 21:13:55    2304954

Link