Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I don't necessarily agree that there's no interest in kids about football in Sligo, I'm just into college myself and I saw as my time in school and through my childhood playing football for my club that there was an underlying interest for football but it hasn't been sparked because of the unsuccessful times of recent in the league and the championship. We also have to be optimistic for the future, we have a very good U16 team that won the manning cup recently which is a great achievement for the lads and a real sense of optimism for the future. I have no doubt that Sligo will improve as a team and in due course increased interest. We have a lot of phenomenal talent in the county and some great footballers have passed through the years.

Sligoandkerry (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 26/02/2020 17:55:27    2270347

Link

One of the main issues i see with this squad of players is there are no leaders. There is no-one to drive standards on or off the fields like what EOH used to do for 15 years. A lot of the more experienced players have left the panel leaving a very inexperienced bunch.
There was always plenty of competition for players in the Sligo particularly around Sligo Town with soccer. Rugby is also getting very popular and hurling has taken hold in other parts of the county in particular West Sligo and Coolera. Hurling team consisits of players who would make the football panel a lot stronger like Banks, McHugh, Cawley. A county the size of Sligo simply cannot cater for all these sports.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 278 - 26/02/2020 23:34:33    2270415

Link

Replying To Sligoandkerry:  "I don't necessarily agree that there's no interest in kids about football in Sligo, I'm just into college myself and I saw as my time in school and through my childhood playing football for my club that there was an underlying interest for football but it hasn't been sparked because of the unsuccessful times of recent in the league and the championship. We also have to be optimistic for the future, we have a very good U16 team that won the manning cup recently which is a great achievement for the lads and a real sense of optimism for the future. I have no doubt that Sligo will improve as a team and in due course increased interest. We have a lot of phenomenal talent in the county and some great footballers have passed through the years."
Manning Cup was a great achievement. We were competing against our own equel. The big two teams in Connacht didn't take part so it will be a massive step up for us to win Connacht. Few lads from last year are still eligible but I would worry about dads on the line. We lost a Connacht Minor Championship for that reason a few years ago and there are several dad's involved with this team.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 27/02/2020 11:17:53    2270466

Link

Replying To Sligoandkerry:  "I don't necessarily agree that there's no interest in kids about football in Sligo, I'm just into college myself and I saw as my time in school and through my childhood playing football for my club that there was an underlying interest for football but it hasn't been sparked because of the unsuccessful times of recent in the league and the championship. We also have to be optimistic for the future, we have a very good U16 team that won the manning cup recently which is a great achievement for the lads and a real sense of optimism for the future. I have no doubt that Sligo will improve as a team and in due course increased interest. We have a lot of phenomenal talent in the county and some great footballers have passed through the years."
Did that U20 team not win a Manning Cup or was it team before that? And Mr Underhill 100 percent right. No kids in Marekveicz. Why would they be bothered?

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 53 - 27/02/2020 14:21:53    2270496

Link

Replying To Anto:  "One of the main issues i see with this squad of players is there are no leaders. There is no-one to drive standards on or off the fields like what EOH used to do for 15 years. A lot of the more experienced players have left the panel leaving a very inexperienced bunch.
There was always plenty of competition for players in the Sligo particularly around Sligo Town with soccer. Rugby is also getting very popular and hurling has taken hold in other parts of the county in particular West Sligo and Coolera. Hurling team consisits of players who would make the football panel a lot stronger like Banks, McHugh, Cawley. A county the size of Sligo simply cannot cater for all these sports."
Two more very good reasons. Two of the top ones as well I would suggest

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 53 - 27/02/2020 14:22:50    2270497

Link

No buying the Rugby and Soccer reason. How may Sligo born players in the English leagues/LOI/Rovers team?
How may Sligo born players in the Ireland/Connacht setups? I think thats a bit of a cop out if you ask me.. My answer is simple:

no minor or meaningful underage titles in donkeys years.
No results from a games promotion officer in the job 15 odd years.
Minimal success in the schools system in which we should be quite good at.
Dominant club team that cannot compete at Connacht level

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 27/02/2020 16:39:48    2270518

Link

Replying To republican:  "No buying the Rugby and Soccer reason. How may Sligo born players in the English leagues/LOI/Rovers team?
How may Sligo born players in the Ireland/Connacht setups? I think thats a bit of a cop out if you ask me.. My answer is simple:

no minor or meaningful underage titles in donkeys years.
No results from a games promotion officer in the job 15 odd years.
Minimal success in the schools system in which we should be quite good at.
Dominant club team that cannot compete at Connacht level"
Yeah that soccer and rugby reason is irrelevant. There's plenty of interest.

The problem of our unsuccessfullness is our lack of leadership on the pitch. The days of mark breheny, Eoh had plenty of leaders. We seem to have TOO much youth in our squad of players

Sligoandkerry (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 27/02/2020 17:04:18    2270524

Link

Replying To Sligoandkerry:  "Yeah that soccer and rugby reason is irrelevant. There's plenty of interest.

The problem of our unsuccessfullness is our lack of leadership on the pitch. The days of mark breheny, Eoh had plenty of leaders. We seem to have TOO much youth in our squad of players"
I'm not just referring to Sligo players who have made it at professional clubs although Conan O'Donnell, Stephen Kerins (ex Sligo minor) and Cillian Gallagher play with Connacht. I'm referring to the soccer culture around Sligo town, Ballisodare, Cooloney, Ballymote (our biggest population areas). Tubbercurry is going in the same direction. Rovers sign up youngsters to underage contracts and prevent them from playing other sports and then when they are not deemed good enough release them and the players miss out on a number of years of GAA development.
There is also the cohort who would prefer to sit at home and play on the x-box.

Also just another point the County champions are competitive in the Connacht championship. If other teams came up to their level and had a competitive championship it would give some preparion for a much tougher championship against battle hardened teams.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 278 - 27/02/2020 17:27:38    2270528

Link

The major GAA areas in Sligo would include the likes of tourlestrane, drumcliffe Rosses point, shamrock gaels, calry st Joseph's , and although they're in town st Mary's have a good success.

Sligoandkerry (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 27/02/2020 18:53:08    2270546

Link

Replying To Sligoandkerry:  "The major GAA areas in Sligo would include the likes of tourlestrane, drumcliffe Rosses point, shamrock gaels, calry st Joseph's , and although they're in town st Mary's have a good success."
Drumcliffe and Calry?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 234 - 27/02/2020 19:16:36    2270547

Link

Congrats to Summerhill on beating Colmans today in the A senior semi final, 2-5 to 0-5 down in second half winning 1-10 to 2-6 last free of the game Eoghan Smith.

This is backboned by the u17s last year who showed well. But the final is where it's at and will tell is if this bunch of players is like Sligo teams of the past or can actually get over the line when it matters, we need this. Playing St Geralds of Castlebar. Best of Luck.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 27/02/2020 22:49:43    2270584

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Congrats to Summerhill on beating Colmans today in the A senior semi final, 2-5 to 0-5 down in second half winning 1-10 to 2-6 last free of the game Eoghan Smith.

This is backboned by the u17s last year who showed well. But the final is where it's at and will tell is if this bunch of players is like Sligo teams of the past or can actually get over the line when it matters, we need this. Playing St Geralds of Castlebar. Best of Luck."
A brilliant result facing a very good Mayo team. Congrats!

Sligoandkerry (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 28/02/2020 09:18:25    2270612

Link

Wouldn't it be just typical Sligo to go and win in Wexford tomorrow. ;) best of luck

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 29/02/2020 00:00:40    2270774

Link

Brilliant win in Wexford park today! Come on Sligo! One step closer to promotion. Great performance from Darragh Cummins and Sean carabinne especially.

Sligoandkerry (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 29/02/2020 15:42:14    2270863

Link

Replying To Sligoandkerry:  "A brilliant result facing a very good Mayo team. Congrats!"
Eoghan Smith was excellent for Summerhill. Not much between Geralds and Colmans. They went to pens in the league final with Geralds winning. One thing with Geralds is there bench is very strong, they made a massive difference against Ballinrobe in ET in the other semi final but I was very impressed with Summerhill who were down 6 with about 20 to go. A real never say die attitude but a good footballing team too.

MarkRule (Mayo) - Posts: 41 - 29/02/2020 17:11:10    2270889

Link

A week is a long time in the life of Sligo Supporter.

Summerhill winning, Minors drawing with Donegal in Ulster league and Sligo as expected beating Wexford away.

A few of the words Tommy Breheny used to describe the Waterford performance, embarrassing, lacked desire and we stood off our men, but today was the opposite. What was the difference today, was it S&C, the club championship and standard, underage not playing all year round, coaching standard, the town, the distribution of funding, what's the one thing that changed in the week, hmmmmmm was it the mindset of the Players by any chance?

Now I know the players read on here, congrats on Wexford win lads, delighted, but in no way does it redeem the last 2 weeks, only promotion will do that. And if we could be guaranteed like MOST other counties workrate, desire, effort, passion, and a collective attitude every match its the minimum we ask going forward. You will save yourselves a lot of criticism. Sligeach Abu.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 29/02/2020 20:20:19    2270925

Link

I just looked at the table and did 6 different group permutations from most likely to less. If Sligo win our last 2 games we would all but be promoted.

The main reason is that we all have to play each other and both can't win and draws aren't good enough. I think Antrim are most likely to go up, on 7 pts with Wicklow away and Waterford at home. They should finish on 11pts.

I think Limerick and ourselves finish on 10 pts and we go up on the better head to head.

There is not much chance of any 3 way ties so I don't think score difference will matter but Limerick are 6pts worse than us at the minute.

The head to head win on Wexford could be huge if they win the last 2 matches.

We are better off if Antrim both matches because drawing one does bring them to 10 and that could create 3-way tie with Wexford who have 8pts better score difference.

So basically forget about all this just focus on ourselves, look forward, bring the right attitude and win both games and we have a very very good chance.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 01/03/2020 18:48:43    2271276

Link

mindset...focus on Carlow game in Carlow. Anything else is a distraction

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 61 - 02/03/2020 00:59:53    2271478

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "A week is a long time in the life of Sligo Supporter.

Summerhill winning, Minors drawing with Donegal in Ulster league and Sligo as expected beating Wexford away.

A few of the words Tommy Breheny used to describe the Waterford performance, embarrassing, lacked desire and we stood off our men, but today was the opposite. What was the difference today, was it S&C, the club championship and standard, underage not playing all year round, coaching standard, the town, the distribution of funding, what's the one thing that changed in the week, hmmmmmm was it the mindset of the Players by any chance?

Now I know the players read on here, congrats on Wexford win lads, delighted, but in no way does it redeem the last 2 weeks, only promotion will do that. And if we could be guaranteed like MOST other counties workrate, desire, effort, passion, and a collective attitude every match its the minimum we ask going forward. You will save yourselves a lot of criticism. Sligeach Abu."
You seem destined to take some sort of credit out of wins as well as defeats. Do us a favour and "believe" your way into keeping quiet for a while.

Also, if you could change your name from Sligonian to Buzzword, I'd appreciate it.

I was at both games. And I can honestly say we were not as bad as made out (bar last 20) against Waterford and we were OK against Wexford. This is the life of division 4 teams. Slow process in this change.

Though, if they pull off a win in Carlow, it would be great to be playing against Limerick for promotion in Markeveicz.

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 53 - 02/03/2020 11:02:01    2271558

Link

Jees to take credit on changing mindset you'd actually have to be involved so no mentioning mindset doesn't change it. Credit goes to the players and management for bringing it and holding on the last day.

All focus on Carlow now but important to feel it's in our hands.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 02/03/2020 17:38:48    2271741

Link