Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think Sligoman1234 I wanted O Hara to get his shot at it more than I thought but the decision is made so of course I am going to welcome McEntee. We are a funny old county though, when Taylor got it everyone is like he is one of our own. So he got an easy ride in the main. But with O Hara, not even the County Chairman being from his club can get him the job. I just don't get it. My understanding is EOH was the best candidate but CB involvement and costs an issue. There doesn't seem to have been any negotiation which is ridiculous. Keane seems to have a huge influence. I have many conversations over the last few days and no one can point out the improvement over the last 2 years that the people involved talk about. It certainly wasn't evident where it matters on the field.

On the future-
I only hear only good things about McEntee so I am optimistic. However there are unknowns some people are in denial about - he has no Intercounty management experience, ZERO and he never won Connacht in his time with Mayo. Being a club manager is different and so is being a coach or selector. His character and football knowledge comes across as very strong and to a point what we need but there are no guarantees as I hope he has a good read on players. Is this going to be a mediocre setup? I don't think so but I am still concerned about how bad we were last 2 years under the current backroom team. It just doesn't make sense given the CV's or opinions of the backroom team.

For me, if Sligo have another bad year I would cut short the 3-year plan. I am not looking for unrealistic targets, we have to be in the mix for promotion but it's not a be-all to get promoted, we have to improve the pace in the team, we have to stop conceding goal chances, we have to be consistent in our performances. Depending on the Connacht draw we have to show something more than a complete hammering in the championship. If you lose to Waterford at home and beat Wexford away, that drives me nuts because that is effort and mindset. McEntee's job in his 1st year is to give the People of Sligo some hope, some pride and belief that has been sadly lacking the last few years. Like every Sligo supporter, I wish him well.

Thanks, MonaghanGlory for your kind words and well wishes. Best of luck to yourselves.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 30/11/2020 08:28:02    2316749

Link

I presume ye all seen the Backroom team update, Mark Breheny comes in as selector and Brendan Egan as performance and nutrition analyst, and Athletic Therapist - Alan Dunne. They are all impressive, I have very high regard for Mark, a super-intelligent player. He would have worked with a lot of the players through Summerhill. Egan made a big name outside of playing with a Ph.D. as an Associate Professor of Sport and Exercise Physiology. Dunne has very different ideas about athleticism and seems ahead of curve and I always like how he sees the maximizing of the human form. They are all massive additions. The only small negative whether it be with Tourlestrane or Summerhill they are not exactly fresh voices as I am sure the players have had interactions with them all. And I assume by 2 Tour lads coming on board this means no hard feelings in Tourlestrane over EOH being overlooked and how that was handled which is surprising. I wonder were all 3 part of the EOH set up.

However, all that being said we won't see a massive acceleration of improvement unless the Mindset is worked on and again it looks like it will be ignored. Probably the most important thing. Most managers think they are qualified but rarely is this the case. I think every facet of marginal gains that can be made should be. We are playing catch up in so many area's we need to look where we can get ahead of the curve. Hopefully, they look at this.

Best of luck to the Management Team,

Manager - Tony McEntee
Assistant Manager and head coach- Joe Keane his 3rd year involved
Selector - Mark Breheny
S&C - Sean Boyle
Athletic therapist - Alan Dunne
Nutrition and performance - Brendan Egan

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 02/12/2020 03:47:54    2317543

Link

Some experts on here. Good luck to the lads.

Lord knows they will need it with the level of support in Sligo

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 57 - 02/12/2020 17:15:33    2317733

Link

Replying To putyourfootunderit:  "Some experts on here. Good luck to the lads.

Lord knows they will need it with the level of support in Sligo"
Its a forum, not a cheerleading site.

I for one enjoy some healthy debate and constructive criticism. The people of sligo are entitled to their opinions and there would be something seriously wrong if after the last few years there wasnt some distain around the place. I suggest you create your own website where you can pat everyone's back for participating.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 275 - 02/12/2020 19:57:52    2317794

Link

putyourfootunderit - No other county forum affords our players or management such light critical analysis especially given our current status. Supporting the players or management is not unconditional. I know from experience how much some care about Sligo, don't care Sligo, care about themselves. Some of the players are lacking in resilience due to being mollycoddled their whole lives. You can see it on the field when adversity occurs and look where it's taken us.

The reality is from the management to the players they will have to earn the support with effort, the effort and pride that was disgracefully lacking against Limerick. I think given what we witnessed the last number of years it's to be expected to be pessimistic. Given how close we were in 2010 and 2012 I personally think it's a disgrace that we are already 13 years since winning a Connacht title and when you look at the state we are in the last few years everyone needs to have a long hard look in the mirror within Sligo GAA not put their head in the sand or look to get pats on the back.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 03/12/2020 07:42:53    2317865

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "putyourfootunderit - No other county forum affords our players or management such light critical analysis especially given our current status. Supporting the players or management is not unconditional. I know from experience how much some care about Sligo, don't care Sligo, care about themselves. Some of the players are lacking in resilience due to being mollycoddled their whole lives. You can see it on the field when adversity occurs and look where it's taken us.

The reality is from the management to the players they will have to earn the support with effort, the effort and pride that was disgracefully lacking against Limerick. I think given what we witnessed the last number of years it's to be expected to be pessimistic. Given how close we were in 2010 and 2012 I personally think it's a disgrace that we are already 13 years since winning a Connacht title and when you look at the state we are in the last few years everyone needs to have a long hard look in the mirror within Sligo GAA not put their head in the sand or look to get pats on the back."
Agree entirely

Whereismyman (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 03/12/2020 12:40:36    2317922

Link

Another All Ireland Title for Caroline Currid with Limerick. Congrats. She has built up some experience. It's incredibly frustrating and disappointing that she is not involved in Sligo in some capacity. Outside of cost, I'd love to know why.

Such an opportunity for easy quick performance improvement in an area we have ignored for so long.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 13/12/2020 18:09:24    2322017

Link

Convention is coming up. Very important that clubs and delegates take this very seriously. This is every bit as important as the selection of our senior manager that got so much publicity. There are good candidates in the election. New blood is needed. We need to move forward as a county and the Co executive is the engine that will drive this forward or else derail the whole train.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 14/12/2020 08:16:48    2322201

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Convention is coming up. Very important that clubs and delegates take this very seriously. This is every bit as important as the selection of our senior manager that got so much publicity. There are good candidates in the election. New blood is needed. We need to move forward as a county and the Co executive is the engine that will drive this forward or else derail the whole train."
Absolutely agree with ya. without a county board that's ambitious there'll be no change in our fortunes. Seems to be a lot of politics going on with all the contests

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 81 - 14/12/2020 16:19:22    2322341

Link

Good to see new people stepping up to the mark at convention time. New men with new ideas. Another chap elected unopposed. He is a regular on these forums. All good and positive and very badly needed.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 16/12/2020 23:14:13    2323043

Link

Good the see the chairman (even though he is from same club) carrying the can for what was a poor couple of years. Poor selection of manager, reappointment the manager even though lost all games the previous year, one if worst teams in the country (31st), failure to field a team in the championship and the botch job in selecting a new senior manager. The axe had to fall, best of luck to the new man. The only way is up

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 282 - 17/12/2020 14:21:31    2323162

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Good the see the chairman (even though he is from same club) carrying the can for what was a poor couple of years. Poor selection of manager, reappointment the manager even though lost all games the previous year, one if worst teams in the country (31st), failure to field a team in the championship and the botch job in selecting a new senior manager. The axe had to fall, best of luck to the new man. The only way is up"
Anto, you omitted to include the Sligo GAA website which is dreadful, user unfriendly and who ever updates it simply copies and paste bits and pieces from Twitter. I'm presently attempting to find out who filled each position following the Convention and one would assume the Administrator would have this updated fairly promptly, but no we have lazy inclusions from twitter. Simply not good enough in this day and age as after all the website is our showcase to the world at large. Yours etc Leyny

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 47 - 17/12/2020 19:36:16    2323261

Link

It was great to see Sean become the new Chairman. I only hear good things so I am sure he will be a big improvement. Hopefully the executive row in behind in him now so we can move Sligo forward. A lot of hard work ahead but I am excited and this gives me a lot of hope. Fair play to the clubs for the vote result.

I admire your honesty in your last post, Anto, and agree people need to be held accountable.

Leyny, the Sligo GAA website is a strange one, they updated and reformatted it a while back and it's not near as good as the previous version. They just need to revert back and keep it updated.

Hopefully, the new energy and freshness of new blood at CB level will rub off on people.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 18/12/2020 01:13:40    2323327

Link