Louth Forum

Milestones:

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

We all have reached milestones in life weather it is getting baptized, first communion, confirmation, 21st, getting married, kids been born or your first day out in Croke Park. Today I have reached another milestone with my 10,000 post on Hoganstand since the new format came about in 2008.

I first came across Hoganstand in 2005 by mistake. Browsing the internet and I found it by accident. As they say the rest is history. Down through the years posters have come and go and I say even a few are under a new name. The ones that stick out are Squid, Real Louth Fan, Sameoulenicks, Keep the Faith, Joseff, Inniskeenbull, Fatman and my oule buddy Bettystownroyal who has gone AWOL since 2012.

I always laugh that the person who you could be fighting with all week on Hoganstand might be the person sitting beside you or standing beside at a match or you could be chatting to in a pub before or after a game. There is a few posters I know and I love the banter on here. I like football and rugby. But the GAA is something special to me. You can support your Drogheda Utd, Dundalk in the league of Ireland, Celtic in Scotland, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton in England. But nothing to me beats following your GAA club or county home and away.

The country and GAA has changed a lot since 2005 when Mattock Rangers won their second senior championship beating the Blues in the final, Tyrone were All Ireland football champions, Cork were All Ireland hurling champions, Croke Park voted historically to open its doors to foreign sports to which I was delighted with myself. It would of been tragedy if the Ireland football and rugby teams had to play their home games in Glasgow, Cardiff, Liverpool or Manchester.

Wee come from a great county and one which i hold dearly to my heart. Sunday June 27th 2010 is one day that will live with me till the day that I die. It started off with watching Germany beating England 4-1 in a pub in Dublin. Frank Lampard's disallowed goal getting the biggest cheer of the game, then heading in to get the last few mins of the Dubs and Meath match with the Royals scoring five goals. Up next was the main event and I was quietly confident. But I know Louth never do anything easy. It was the Wee County's first Leinster semi-final appearance since 1998. It was nip and tuck with Westmeath. But when the final whistle went and Tommy Fleming's May we never say good bye blaring over the intercom I had tears in my eyes. I could not believe that the Wonderful Wee County had finally reached the promise land. A great day and night all around. The Bull followed by the rare visit to Peter Matthews pub. The beer garden was packed and the band playing in it and finishing up with Red is the Rose. The whole place was jumping. That was a great summer with every Louth match the sun was out in force.

Them two weeks leading up to the Leinster final was great indeed. It was like the recession disappeared for a couple of weeks. Living on the Meath border added just extra spice to the special occasion. I won't talk about the event's of July 11th because I would be here all night. But what can I say about the great Paddy Keenan? What a player and what a leader? He is our captain marvel. One of the best to wear the red jersey. They should erect a huge stature to him like they have in Rio and place it on the Cooley mountains.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 18/02/2017 14:51:32    1957934

Link

My fav three championship matches since 2005:
3) v Laois 2013
2) v Kildare 2010
1) v Westmeath 2010

My fav three players since 2005:
3) JP Rooney
2) Razor Finnegan
1) Paddy Keenan

My fav Louth team since 2005:
1. Neil Gallagher
2. Alan Page
3. Colin Goss
4. Jamie Carr
5. Razor Finnegan
6. Aaron Hoey
7. John O Brien
8. Paddy Keenan
9. Ronan Carroll
10. Darren Clarke
11. Christy Grimes
12. Adrian Reid
13. Nicky Mc Donnell
14. Shane Lennon
15. JP Rooney.

Here is to the next 10,000 posts please god. Hopefully wee get a good run this year in the championship and a day out in the sacred turf of Croke Park. Up the Wee County!

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 18/02/2017 15:04:06    1957941

Link

Congratulations Ollie. Well done with all your efforts on HS over the years.
That's a wonderful piece you wrote to-day. It brought a tear to my eye with those memories.
I can't disagree with most of your selections and since its your day I won't.
Your book will be a best seller when you get round to it. Don't delay.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1441 - 18/02/2017 16:07:57    1957948

Link

Fair play Ollie.I'm only a gasking compared to 10000 posts but you put that well. It was a great summer in 2010...wish I could be back there the buzz about the county was great. Here's to 2017

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 525 - 18/02/2017 17:23:25    1957977

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "My fav three championship matches since 2005:
3) v Laois 2013
2) v Kildare 2010
1) v Westmeath 2010

My fav three players since 2005:
3) JP Rooney
2) Razor Finnegan
1) Paddy Keenan

My fav Louth team since 2005:
1. Neil Gallagher
2. Alan Page
3. Colin Goss
4. Jamie Carr
5. Razor Finnegan
6. Aaron Hoey
7. John O Brien
8. Paddy Keenan
9. Ronan Carroll
10. Darren Clarke
11. Christy Grimes
12. Adrian Reid
13. Nicky Mc Donnell
14. Shane Lennon
15. JP Rooney.

Here is to the next 10,000 posts please god. Hopefully wee get a good run this year in the championship and a day out in the sacred turf of Croke Park. Up the Wee County!"
Really great stuff Ollie. Keep them coming .

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 5111 - 18/02/2017 18:48:50    1957995

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "We all have reached milestones in life weather it is getting baptized, first communion, confirmation, 21st, getting married, kids been born or your first day out in Croke Park. Today I have reached another milestone with my 10,000 post on Hoganstand since the new format came about in 2008.

I first came across Hoganstand in 2005 by mistake. Browsing the internet and I found it by accident. As they say the rest is history. Down through the years posters have come and go and I say even a few are under a new name. The ones that stick out are Squid, Real Louth Fan, Sameoulenicks, Keep the Faith, Joseff, Inniskeenbull, Fatman and my oule buddy Bettystownroyal who has gone AWOL since 2012.

I always laugh that the person who you could be fighting with all week on Hoganstand might be the person sitting beside you or standing beside at a match or you could be chatting to in a pub before or after a game. There is a few posters I know and I love the banter on here. I like football and rugby. But the GAA is something special to me. You can support your Drogheda Utd, Dundalk in the league of Ireland, Celtic in Scotland, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton in England. But nothing to me beats following your GAA club or county home and away.

The country and GAA has changed a lot since 2005 when Mattock Rangers won their second senior championship beating the Blues in the final, Tyrone were All Ireland football champions, Cork were All Ireland hurling champions, Croke Park voted historically to open its doors to foreign sports to which I was delighted with myself. It would of been tragedy if the Ireland football and rugby teams had to play their home games in Glasgow, Cardiff, Liverpool or Manchester.

Wee come from a great county and one which i hold dearly to my heart. Sunday June 27th 2010 is one day that will live with me till the day that I die. It started off with watching Germany beating England 4-1 in a pub in Dublin. Frank Lampard's disallowed goal getting the biggest cheer of the game, then heading in to get the last few mins of the Dubs and Meath match with the Royals scoring five goals. Up next was the main event and I was quietly confident. But I know Louth never do anything easy. It was the Wee County's first Leinster semi-final appearance since 1998. It was nip and tuck with Westmeath. But when the final whistle went and Tommy Fleming's May we never say good bye blaring over the intercom I had tears in my eyes. I could not believe that the Wonderful Wee County had finally reached the promise land. A great day and night all around. The Bull followed by the rare visit to Peter Matthews pub. The beer garden was packed and the band playing in it and finishing up with Red is the Rose. The whole place was jumping. That was a great summer with every Louth match the sun was out in force.

Them two weeks leading up to the Leinster final was great indeed. It was like the recession disappeared for a couple of weeks. Living on the Meath border added just extra spice to the special occasion. I won't talk about the event's of July 11th because I would be here all night. But what can I say about the great Paddy Keenan? What a player and what a leader? He is our captain marvel. One of the best to wear the red jersey. They should erect a huge stature to him like they have in Rio and place it on the Cooley mountains."
Congratulations to you Ollie, delighted for you, here's to the next 10000

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 16708 - 18/02/2017 19:16:45    1958006

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "We all have reached milestones in life weather it is getting baptized, first communion, confirmation, 21st, getting married, kids been born or your first day out in Croke Park. Today I have reached another milestone with my 10,000 post on Hoganstand since the new format came about in 2008.

Them two weeks leading up to the Leinster final was great indeed. It was like the recession disappeared for a couple of weeks. Living on the Meath border added just extra spice to the special occasion. I won't talk about the event's of July 11th because I would be here all night. But what can I say about the great Paddy Keenan? What a player and what a leader? He is our captain marvel. One of the best to wear the red jersey. They should erect a huge stature to him like they have in Rio and place it on the Cooley mountains."
Some post and sums up the life of a good Louth fan! Will our day ever come?

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 18/02/2017 22:20:12    1958079

Link

Well done ollie. They let me out of the mental home for an hour just to say Hi. Keep her lit!

BettystownRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 3353 - 19/02/2017 07:34:42    1958122

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Congratulations Ollie. Well done with all your efforts on HS over the years.
That's a wonderful piece you wrote to-day. It brought a tear to my eye with those memories.
I can't disagree with most of your selections and since its your day I won't.
Your book will be a best seller when you get round to it. Don't delay."
Thank you 19616609. I am working on the book. It will be called the Wondeful Wee County. I'll be signing copies in the Bull when its finished.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 20/02/2017 06:47:38    1958488

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Fair play Ollie.I'm only a gasking compared to 10000 posts but you put that well. It was a great summer in 2010...wish I could be back there the buzz about the county was great. Here's to 2017"
Welcome aboard GAAdundalk. You have to start somewhere. Yes I agree 2010 was something special. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to experience another summer like that one.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 20/02/2017 06:50:22    1958489

Link

Replying To Greengrass:  "Really great stuff Ollie. Keep them coming ."
I will indeed Greengrass cheers and please god I will have a pint with ye in Clerys in the summer. An Lu Abu.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 20/02/2017 06:52:02    1958490

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Congratulations to you Ollie, delighted for you, here's to the next 10000"
Thank you Royaldunne. Hard luck to your beloved Cilles yesterday. They just fell short of the line.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 20/02/2017 06:53:46    1958491

Link

Replying To MR:  "Some post and sums up the life of a good Louth fan! Will our day ever come?"
MR hopefully it will come sooner rather than later.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 20/02/2017 06:56:41    1958492

Link

Replying To BettystownRoyal:  "Well done ollie. They let me out of the mental home for an hour just to say Hi. Keep her lit!"
Well by jaysus am I still dreaming? Alright Betty? How is she cutting? Long time no hear? They should let you out more times from the Mental home to say hello. I hope you are keeping well.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 20/02/2017 06:59:03    1958493

Link

Take a bow Ollie super post X 10k

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/02/2017 13:18:10    1959551

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "Take a bow Ollie super post X 10k"
Cheers Kikfada.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 22/02/2017 17:20:49    1959619

Link

Fair play to you Ollie always a fair and honest poster and your as consistent as ye legend that is PK. Here is for the next 10,000.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 476 - 24/02/2017 17:19:41    1960290

Link

Replying To Frederick:  "Fair play to you Ollie always a fair and honest poster and your as consistent as ye legend that is PK. Here is for the next 10,000."
Thank you Fred.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 24/02/2017 17:51:49    1960298

Link

It's a year ago today since I did that piece. That year flew. What are people's favorite Louth team in this same period or even if you wanna go back further?

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 18/02/2018 09:37:51    2077835

Link

Is that signing copies of the book in the black Bull Ollie? ps Thats a hell of a starting XV!

S.M (Louth) - Posts: 88 - 24/02/2018 13:11:06    2079671

Link