Limerick Forum

Claughaun Demise

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To football first:  "This is a very interesting debate, that is so relevant for the survival of Gaelic games in urban areas, particularly as the whole country becomes more urbanised. A lot depends on our priorities:
1) Do we want an elite "super club" on the South and East of the city that will eventually rival Na Piarsaigh and win county and provincial titles?
or 2) Do we want as many young boys and girls as possible in the city playing hurling, football (and handball)?

I don't think we can have both"
Not so sure I agree . The super club on the north side (Na Piarsaigh) control everything GAA on the north side and appear to have massive numbers and are super successful. The four clubs on the south side are each struggling on their own , numbers are small and the knock on effect is young lads dont want to know. My experience over the last twenty years is that young lad want to play in a competitive environment where they have a chance of success. It doesn't mean they have to be winning all the time but at least be competitive . On the south side that is not happening at the minute at the four individual clubs ,outside the southside Gaels experiment. So what is the step forward. Lads play soccer for fun on Sunday mornings with no serious commitment outside of the top division Rugby does not have the huge take up of players that people believe . It is the hogwash that is sold by some people that rugby is the be all and end all thats rubbish. Young lads of between 14-18 believe in all these academies and want to be in them. I know of loads of good young GAA lads that gave up hurling and football to be in one of these academies and are now playing nothing because it was all rubbish . I believe that two big clubs catering for the inner city environs north side to south side excluding Monaleen / Mungret is the way to go. Nurther as many young lads in these two clubs as you can and you will have more and more young lads coming through to county teams in the future.

bren222 (Limerick) - Posts: 110 - 12/05/2019 16:00:26    2183286

Link

Replying To bren222:  "Not so sure I agree . The super club on the north side (Na Piarsaigh) control everything GAA on the north side and appear to have massive numbers and are super successful. The four clubs on the south side are each struggling on their own , numbers are small and the knock on effect is young lads dont want to know. My experience over the last twenty years is that young lad want to play in a competitive environment where they have a chance of success. It doesn't mean they have to be winning all the time but at least be competitive . On the south side that is not happening at the minute at the four individual clubs ,outside the southside Gaels experiment. So what is the step forward. Lads play soccer for fun on Sunday mornings with no serious commitment outside of the top division Rugby does not have the huge take up of players that people believe . It is the hogwash that is sold by some people that rugby is the be all and end all thats rubbish. Young lads of between 14-18 believe in all these academies and want to be in them. I know of loads of good young GAA lads that gave up hurling and football to be in one of these academies and are now playing nothing because it was all rubbish . I believe that two big clubs catering for the inner city environs north side to south side excluding Monaleen / Mungret is the way to go. Nurther as many young lads in these two clubs as you can and you will have more and more young lads coming through to county teams in the future."
I think amalgamation of southside city clubs is a political minefield and one that no county board would take on. It has to come from within the Clubs themselves. It looks as if at least one of them isn't ready for it and that it's too late for another which is a pity.
Claughaun lost their way in the 90s. They became a business and took their eye off player development and the sport itself. They found themselves in the wierd position of being a very important business position within their community through their bar and clubhouse but an insignificant player within that same community in the sporting sense. In the 80s their underage teams were made up of kids from Mayorstone, Corbally and the singland/St Brigid's area. They lost their foothold in Mayorstone and Corbally and have struggled since.
Old Christians and Saints have always been weak at underage, since the 1980s anyway.

What the County board should and can do is work with the Southside clubs to find ways to finance a Games Development Officer for each club. This could be done in conjunction with Croke Park. This is how Dublin Clubs were rejuvenated. Every Dublin Club has at least one of these and they make a huge difference in terms of coach development and club interaction with schools and the community they serve.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - Posts: 99 - 13/05/2019 07:35:34    2183484

Link

Replying To Tadhgmacda:  "I think amalgamation of southside city clubs is a political minefield and one that no county board would take on. It has to come from within the Clubs themselves. It looks as if at least one of them isn't ready for it and that it's too late for another which is a pity.
Claughaun lost their way in the 90s. They became a business and took their eye off player development and the sport itself. They found themselves in the wierd position of being a very important business position within their community through their bar and clubhouse but an insignificant player within that same community in the sporting sense. In the 80s their underage teams were made up of kids from Mayorstone, Corbally and the singland/St Brigid's area. They lost their foothold in Mayorstone and Corbally and have struggled since.
Old Christians and Saints have always been weak at underage, since the 1980s anyway.

What the County board should and can do is work with the Southside clubs to find ways to finance a Games Development Officer for each club. This could be done in conjunction with Croke Park. This is how Dublin Clubs were rejuvenated. Every Dublin Club has at least one of these and they make a huge difference in terms of coach development and club interaction with schools and the community they serve."
I heard a very worrying thing over the weekend and by all accounts it is true. A very promising Claughaun player was approached by a former limerick player and a member of the current Team to transfer to their club. Player is now playing for them. this all happened over the last number of months. Surely this isnt good and al lot to be said for that Club. Player is a good lad and member of county minors but at end of the day has always played with claughaun previoulsy. Not good in my view. and i am totally neutral here., This cannot be allowed.

JohnMcArthur (Limerick) - Posts: 50 - 13/05/2019 12:20:33    2183603

Link

Replying To JohnMcArthur:  "I heard a very worrying thing over the weekend and by all accounts it is true. A very promising Claughaun player was approached by a former limerick player and a member of the current Team to transfer to their club. Player is now playing for them. this all happened over the last number of months. Surely this isnt good and al lot to be said for that Club. Player is a good lad and member of county minors but at end of the day has always played with claughaun previoulsy. Not good in my view. and i am totally neutral here., This cannot be allowed."
Limerick hurling people of a certain age would say that this is karma if true.
It is the reality that they face. They are junior now and if a lad is good enough to play county minor then he will want to play senior as soon as possible.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - Posts: 99 - 13/05/2019 13:46:28    2183653

Link

Replying To JohnMcArthur:  "I heard a very worrying thing over the weekend and by all accounts it is true. A very promising Claughaun player was approached by a former limerick player and a member of the current Team to transfer to their club. Player is now playing for them. this all happened over the last number of months. Surely this isnt good and al lot to be said for that Club. Player is a good lad and member of county minors but at end of the day has always played with claughaun previoulsy. Not good in my view. and i am totally neutral here., This cannot be allowed."
Unfortunately even though the young lad played with Claughaun , he lives in the parish of the club, which he now plays with.

bren222 (Limerick) - Posts: 110 - 14/05/2019 11:59:26    2183942

Link

Karma is a fact, Claughaun still do this but the only difference is they are not the dominant club it's just they are desperate to survive. A number of there teams at underage are made up of very debatable team sheets as in personnel would be questionable .

silentassassin (Limerick) - Posts: 103 - 21/05/2019 14:40:35    2186319

Link

Replying To silentassassin:  "Karma is a fact, Claughaun still do this but the only difference is they are not the dominant club it's just they are desperate to survive. A number of there teams at underage are made up of very debatable team sheets as in personnel would be questionable ."
Could you provide any evidence,if this club is doing that, should be shut down, hope you pass on the information, disgraceful carry on

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 23/05/2019 00:56:23    2186770

Link

Replying To silentassassin:  "Karma is a fact, Claughaun still do this but the only difference is they are not the dominant club it's just they are desperate to survive. A number of there teams at underage are made up of very debatable team sheets as in personnel would be questionable ."
I have a feeling you don't really like Claughan cityman, would I be right? If that is true regarding team sheets have the co.board done anything about this?

trigger__pull (Limerick) - Posts: 131 - 23/05/2019 15:44:03    2186931

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Could you provide any evidence,if this club is doing that, should be shut down, hope you pass on the information, disgraceful carry on"
cityman73, arent u d claughan keeper / clubman as in other posts you defunded the club many time ova nd mention u playd? so i dunno if you are being smart with your coment. problem with claughan is simple not a big club, underage structure is non going until recent period nd bar is the main priority there.

NoviceMan (Limerick) - Posts: 74 - 27/05/2019 10:38:42    2188011

Link

Replying To NoviceMan:  "cityman73, arent u d claughan keeper / clubman as in other posts you defunded the club many time ova nd mention u playd? so i dunno if you are being smart with your coment. problem with claughan is simple not a big club, underage structure is non going until recent period nd bar is the main priority there."
Defunded the club, sorry don't understand that,I never said claughaun was a big club,I don't know anyone who thinks that,you seem to have big issues with claughaun.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 31/05/2019 22:36:19    2189526

Link

It was brilliant to watch claughaun vs St Patrick's last night in U14 hurling,two teams fairly same level, claughaun just had one or two better players at that age,St Patrick's the younger of both teams,seem to have a stronger 12/13 team,but to all the people that want both clubs to join together,we saw 29 players get to play hurling,if these two clubs were together,at best 20 can play, last year only 16-18 players togged out.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 20/06/2019 18:10:06    2198064

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "It was brilliant to watch claughaun vs St Patrick's last night in U14 hurling,two teams fairly same level, claughaun just had one or two better players at that age,St Patrick's the younger of both teams,seem to have a stronger 12/13 team,but to all the people that want both clubs to join together,we saw 29 players get to play hurling,if these two clubs were together,at best 20 can play, last year only 16-18 players togged out."
Fair enough. I take your point. But what was the standard like.? I bet there were 35 or 40 boys there and not one of them is top top talent.Was there any lads playing that are very good at soccer or rugby. I doubt it but correct me if I'm wrong.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 22/06/2019 16:57:35    2198610

Link

The days of any City club aligning themselves with Claughaun is over. They have individuals hellbent on trying to rebuild the club (which every club needs) but going about it in a nasty way. Secretly approaching players from different clubs & dropping brochures in singled out estates across the City is a drastic tactic & a new low.

BiaApproved (Limerick) - Posts: 30 - 22/06/2019 20:01:18    2198660

Link

I'm not a claughaun fan or clubman or any connection, but, how is it a new low to be putting flyers into city schools , targeting estates, they are at a low ebb , they are 3rd in the roll of honor of senior hurling county champs , they badly need to get underage goin and that's how to do it, there neighbors all do it and some of the bigger clubs in the city division have a fair track record for poaching players, that's the problem with no parish rule really in the city division!

Limcofinest (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 24/06/2019 12:24:51    2199819

Link

All I can say is fair play to Claughaun for taking this initiative. As an inner city club, they are entitled to promote the club to all the estates in their area and the inner city. After all there is only 4 clubs operating in the inner city, Claughaun, St Patricks, Old Christians and Ballinacurra. Any kid or player living in the city can play with a city club as there is no parish rule. To say that it is nasty is over the top. All clubs are at it - Mungret took out full page adds in the local papers at the start of the year promoting their club and looking for new players. Nothing said about that? There is players who live in the Claughaun / St Patricks area that are going across the town to play with the so called bigger clubs on the outskirts of the city. There is Ballinacurra players playing with a club in the East division which is a joke. Old Christians underage is non existent.
To say that they are secretly taking players off other clubs is just keyboard warrior stuff with no examples, just lazy comment. Some people in another city club may be put out that Claughaun want to go it alone at underage and rebuild again.
There seems to be a few posters who are hell bent on bashing Claughaun on this site so if they are trying to promote and engage the local community and attract players then all i say is well done.
On another point raised saying how many of their players play soccer and rugby?? Every GAA club in the county has kids playing other sports at one level or another - thats sport and kids will play everything. They might not be at the elite level as the suburb clubs but they are making an effort (south side clubs) to keep hurling going. If the likes of Monaleen, Mungret and Na Piarsaigh are getting such huge numbers at underage level, 100-150 kids at different grades u6 to u12, why is there such a huge drop off in those clubs when it comes to under 14-16 fielding only one team at each grade (bar one club grade where there is two?) The best are picked and the rest give up the game! No talk about that one?

PatsLegend (Limerick) - Posts: 105 - 25/06/2019 12:00:26    2200533

Link

Replying To PatsLegend:  "All I can say is fair play to Claughaun for taking this initiative. As an inner city club, they are entitled to promote the club to all the estates in their area and the inner city. After all there is only 4 clubs operating in the inner city, Claughaun, St Patricks, Old Christians and Ballinacurra. Any kid or player living in the city can play with a city club as there is no parish rule. To say that it is nasty is over the top. All clubs are at it - Mungret took out full page adds in the local papers at the start of the year promoting their club and looking for new players. Nothing said about that? There is players who live in the Claughaun / St Patricks area that are going across the town to play with the so called bigger clubs on the outskirts of the city. There is Ballinacurra players playing with a club in the East division which is a joke. Old Christians underage is non existent.
To say that they are secretly taking players off other clubs is just keyboard warrior stuff with no examples, just lazy comment. Some people in another city club may be put out that Claughaun want to go it alone at underage and rebuild again.
There seems to be a few posters who are hell bent on bashing Claughaun on this site so if they are trying to promote and engage the local community and attract players then all i say is well done.
On another point raised saying how many of their players play soccer and rugby?? Every GAA club in the county has kids playing other sports at one level or another - thats sport and kids will play everything. They might not be at the elite level as the suburb clubs but they are making an effort (south side clubs) to keep hurling going. If the likes of Monaleen, Mungret and Na Piarsaigh are getting such huge numbers at underage level, 100-150 kids at different grades u6 to u12, why is there such a huge drop off in those clubs when it comes to under 14-16 fielding only one team at each grade (bar one club grade where there is two?) The best are picked and the rest give up the game! No talk about that one?"
Agree 100%

Limcofinest (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 25/06/2019 13:02:16    2200572

Link

Replying To Limcofinest:  "Agree 100%"
Agree 1000%

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 762 - 25/06/2019 20:03:15    2200849

Link

Patslegend: After reading your post, you fairly & rightly put me back in my box! I take back what I said about a new low & thoroughly agree with your statement.

BiaApproved (Limerick) - Posts: 30 - 28/06/2019 00:00:01    2201965

Link

Fair play

Limcofinest (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 28/06/2019 23:04:30    2202226

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Fair enough. I take your point. But what was the standard like.? I bet there were 35 or 40 boys there and not one of them is top top talent.Was there any lads playing that are very good at soccer or rugby. I doubt it but correct me if I'm wrong."
Who cares what talent they are at,it's amateur sport,I rather see kids playing our sport,then walking the roads,yes I'm sure there was soccer and rugby players too,are they not allowed play hurling.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 29/06/2019 16:52:19    2202405

Link