Leitrim Forum

League Final

(Oldest Posts First)

I went to Pairc Sean on Sunday last for the final meeting of Glencar Manor against Melvin Gaels. The conditions were good for this time of year. I was seated in the stand between both set of supporters and I saw what rivalry there is between them is like.As a neutral I thought it was fantastic. It was a game that neither wanted to loose, and after the first half which was disappointing, with the score at 0 2 to 0 0 in favor of Glencar Manor. I was taken back at the amount of hard tackles, and dangerous ones, which went unpunished by the match officials. The second half was a different game as both sides opened up and the intensity was fierce at times. The Manorhamilton men were getting the better at midfield compared with their previous meeting in the championship final. This had a big bearing on how the game went for them. James Clancy was been marshaled well by Fabien Mc Morrow, as was Adrian Croal, by Shane Ryan. Paul Brennan, had a fine game on Brian Mc Donald. Paddy Maguire, went to centre back on Emlyn Mulligan, who finished up scoring all of Melvin Gaels scores of 0-8. Glencar Manor missed a few score chances as did Melvin Gaels in the first half. The match finished a draw with Mulligan scoring a brilliant point in the dying seconds, to bring it to extra time. there were also two dismissals one from both teams. In extra time James Clancy scored the all important goal and Mulligan scored 2 points but Glencar Manor crowned champions.

scorpio (Leitrim) - Posts: 37 - 13/11/2012 09:41:32    1296815

Link

Manor were the stronger team I think mg got them of a bad day in the championship

The croal sending off was uncalled for

Yes mulligan scored all mg scores but had he stepped up to the mark mg would have won the game in the first half

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 13/11/2012 13:05:48    1296933

Link

Was at final. Manor got mg back. Gaels tried to be dirty but didn't work. Best team in leitrim bk on top again.

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 15/11/2012 17:43:23    1298313

Link

In fairness I agree with you as much as I want the senior titles in the south of the county

The best team did won and no doubt manor will be back next year for the fenagh cup aswell

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 15/11/2012 20:34:24    1298414

Link

Manor didnt look like they were at the races at all on Co. Final day compared to last weekend..Mulligan vital for Melvin Gaels shows how one dimensional they are when taken into a dogfight..pity more teams arent capable of doing that to them though. Hopefully a few Southerly clubs can make an impact in the SFC next year and create some good battles..Just had a look at Div 2 there, tight at the top, Bors look guaranteed to go up, playin the relegated Annaduff 2nd team. if Gortletteragh slip up against Leitrim Gaels the winners of Drumkeerin & Allen Gaels go up, should be an interesting round of games..

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 328 - 16/11/2012 13:45:08    1298627

Link

My predictions are the bors v gortletteragh final both move up

Leitrim geals are no match for gortletteragh no disrespect to Leitrim geals

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 16/11/2012 16:30:58    1298765

Link

Manorhamilton will probably win the championship next year as there is nothing in South Leitrim to compete with them. I heard that 4 of Gaels players are leaving this year to look for work, and that definitely makes Manor favorites next year. To put it in perspective both finals were played when Pairc Sean, was drier, and firmer,for the Championship final, than for the League final. That game was much faster and Eamon O Grady was excellent on the day, compared to the way the League final was. Fair play to the Gaels for winning the Fenagh cup and Manor winning the league.As for our County team, I didn't see to many new players in this years championship or league, that will greatly improve the team. Leitrim might struggle in the div4 and will find it hard to get promotion. From looking at the stats Mulligan, Clancy. Beirne, are the top forwards we have and hopefully Beirne will come back into the team and help us get promotion.

scorpio (Leitrim) - Posts: 37 - 17/11/2012 10:18:41    1298926

Link

I predict next years senior semi finals are

Manor
Mohill
Mary's
Gortletteragh

Mg to get knocked out in quarters by Mary's

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 17/11/2012 12:31:20    1298952

Link

Wouldnt rule out Annaduff in your estimations despite how early it is, hard to make predictions as a lot can change in 10 months, however the backbone of the Mary's Team, (Cuniffe, Guckian, McDermott, Reynolds etc)..are the wrong side of 30...Mohill are a young team and petulance can set in and also I think they'll have to lose a few more before they get to a final. If Gortletteragh have any younger 18-22 players they have to blood them a lá Mohill have done as they might look a young side but their 2nd XV was also more veterans than rookies and they won't get away with their over-dependency on McCrann in Senior. So yet again, 10 months out it's hard to look past Manor and an 'allegedly' weakened Melvin Gaels

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 328 - 17/11/2012 13:15:17    1298965

Link

Leitrim geals gave gortletteragh the points

Gortletteragh make div2 final and move up to div1 next year

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 18/11/2012 12:51:26    1299209

Link

Has anyone ever seen a more comical finish to a league before ? Both teams that made the final got walk overs in last weekends games. How unfair is that on Drumkeerin who already had two points deducted by our famous CCC. As you all may know from my posts i am from the south of the county but i hate to see a rural club like Drumkeerin being treated like this. This situation has made a complete mockery and a joke of our leagues. Best of luck to both Gortleteragh and Bornacoola in the league final and indeed in Div 1 next year but is it a small bit tainted ??

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 20/11/2012 11:07:08    1300168

Link

That is disgraceful. Also, i think the clubs who conceded these games should recieve some punishment as there was a lot riding on these games.

LeitrimMad1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 43 - 20/11/2012 12:31:39    1300236

Link

Don't forget the club that conceded the championship game

A more important fixed well in advance event

That should be more important than a county in another Provence playing an allireland semifinal

I pity drumkeerin and I feel it should be a gortletteragh v drumkeerin league final

I'm unsure of Leitrim geals position last weeken regarding players red cards from the Eslin game and lads injured or away with work and college

So I think they didn't really have a choice but do the good deed and give gortletteragh the points the points wouldn't have made a difference to Leitrim either way

Maybe next year they might reach the div2 final v drumkeerin

Best of luck to both teams in the final lovely weather for it

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 20/11/2012 13:19:19    1300276

Link

Allstar you should apply for that late nite TV3 physic show!
How you could predict the final four for next years champ before the draw is even made I do not know..

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 20/11/2012 14:39:53    1300349

Link

Ur right about the gaels tho..

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 20/11/2012 14:42:07    1300352

Link

94 allstar why do you think it should be a drumkeeran vs gortleteragh final?
Bornaocoola finished top of the table?

scoobydont (Leitrim) - Posts: 25 - 20/11/2012 15:29:53    1300406

Link

You know I have previously worked as a reporter on a programme that airs around 11pm on 122

That is if you have sky

I enjoyed travelling the states promoting the ladies and Leitrim club gaa

Next years predictions that I made may go either way it will be good to see if I'm across the bar or wide as a left footed free

However I do predict that manor or melvin geals will knock the other out of the championship at some stage

Bornacula are lucky and have questionable points

But to be fair they are top of the table

This comeing final will be a bullfight the rivalry between these 2 clubs dates back to the time the Tir Dannan courted a sister of the Mac Ranalls after gortletteragh over come the mighty bors in a county final that was played in coxes field

I predict gortletteragh by 1 point

And if it goes the other way the bors with a late goal to send them ahead by 2

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 20/11/2012 18:10:34    1300527

Link

please elaborate on Bornacoolas questionable points 94allstar??

scoobydont (Leitrim) - Posts: 25 - 21/11/2012 15:51:26    1301009

Link

To be fair there are 6 points in question from games that weren't played and the usual extraordinary excuses lads give on a cold Sunday morning for not getting out of the scratcher to play a game

However I do Agree it is a comical finish to a league

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 21/11/2012 18:20:15    1301144

Link

you're still not answering my question? annaduff gave the bors the 2 points and drumkeeran were there own worst enemies when it came tothat game! they didnt show for it. . if they wanted promotion badly enough they would have showed
and anyway thats still only 4 points?

scoobydont (Leitrim) - Posts: 25 - 21/11/2012 19:47:01    1301195

Link