Kerry Forum

Kerry V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Coming over from the UK for this one.

Staying in Killarney on Thursday & Friday and will make my way up to Tralee early Saturday afternoon.

I know what Killarney has to offer in term of pubs, places to eat, live music having been there before. Can anybody advise me what's on offer in Tralee, pre & post game.

Thanks in advance

MartinEgan (UK) - Posts: 20 - 28/01/2020 10:37:39    2263139

Link

Martin the castle bar in tralee is a good spot to start and make your way up the town. The osullivans own the castle Adrian. Gérard. Mark. Fergal. Darren

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 601 - 28/01/2020 12:20:40    2263171

Link

Replying To MartinEgan:  "Coming over from the UK for this one.

Staying in Killarney on Thursday & Friday and will make my way up to Tralee early Saturday afternoon.

I know what Killarney has to offer in term of pubs, places to eat, live music having been there before. Can anybody advise me what's on offer in Tralee, pre & post game.

Thanks in advance"
The Sportsfield basically around the corner from Austin Stacks will be very busy pre and post game and is always good, they'll probably have the rugby on their too which people will want to watch before they sprint over for throw in.

The Saturday night games bring a great atmosphere and create a good bit of buzz around the town, which is great because everyone is only looking for an excuse to head out after a long, dark January. The Dublin and Mayo games last year we're brilliant and it felt for the Dublin one like the Festival was one, anyone and everyone was out afterwards have a bit of craic.

The good thing about Tralee is that there is always a bit of music on in the pubs at the weekends and there certainly will be with a match on.

Gerry mentioned the Castle Bar on Rock St, a nice spot to be sure.

Personally I would give a wander into the likes of Bailey's Corner, Sean Ogs, Paddy Macs (the problem with Tralee is all the good pubs are small!)

You'll pass Benners on the way down from the likes of the Sportsfield and I've found it good after a game. AVOID Hennessys across the road unless you're 18 or less ;D

The Mall is full of young wan's too these days, but an Teach Beag next to it is a nice spot.

The Blasket is also worth a visit, but it's better for later on, around 11ish. They always have a decent band playing then.

Kirby's Brogue Inn is worth a mention and they do decent food too if you're looking for a bite before the game.
The Grand Hotel also has nice food in its bar.

You won't be stuck for a pint anyway.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5698 - 28/01/2020 21:07:26    2263321

Link

Hi lads, our under 16 management in Tuam Stars are bringing 35 under 16 players down to Tralee on Sat, playing Austin Stacks first in a challenge and on to the big game then. Keep an eye out for them and say hello !!

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 228 - 29/01/2020 14:04:40    2263504

Link

Thanks for the information lads, most appreciated.

I'll definitely be trying quite a few of the bars mentioned and if either of you are going to the game and bump into me, I'll stand you a pint.

MartinEgan (UK) - Posts: 20 - 29/01/2020 16:18:30    2263542

Link

Great Post hermit spot on

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 601 - 29/01/2020 21:27:19    2263631

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "Hi lads, our under 16 management in Tuam Stars are bringing 35 under 16 players down to Tralee on Sat, playing Austin Stacks first in a challenge and on to the big game then. Keep an eye out for them and say hello !!"
It should be a great day out for yer lads and best of luck to ye, Its a pity they didnt keep last week's kerry Galway U20 game as an opener for our senior match.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11409 - 29/01/2020 22:59:22    2263653

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "It should be a great day out for yer lads and best of luck to ye, Its a pity they didnt keep last week's kerry Galway U20 game as an opener for our senior match."
It is surely. I imagine the reason for that is Galway are out next weekend in the first round of u20 championship in Connacht & they wanted a weekend in between. That's my guess anyway.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 748 - 31/01/2020 16:23:13    2264020

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "It is surely. I imagine the reason for that is Galway are out next weekend in the first round of u20 championship in Connacht & they wanted a weekend in between. That's my guess anyway."
That makes sense in fairness, anyway safe journey to you if you're making the trip down.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11409 - 31/01/2020 19:24:53    2264055

Link

Strong strong team picked, bar Tom Sullivan and one other wing forward that's our strongest team.

Ryan, Foley, Morley, Enright, Murphy, Crowley, White, Kearney, Barry, Gavin O'Brien, Seanie, Stephen O'Brien, James, Geaney and DC.

Hopefully Moynihan and Graham will get game time and by all accounts Diarmuid O'Conner is on the bench

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4785 - 31/01/2020 20:06:42    2264061

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Strong strong team picked, bar Tom Sullivan and one other wing forward that's our strongest team.

Ryan, Foley, Morley, Enright, Murphy, Crowley, White, Kearney, Barry, Gavin O'Brien, Seanie, Stephen O'Brien, James, Geaney and DC.

Hopefully Moynihan and Graham will get game time and by all accounts Diarmuid O'Conner is on the bench"
Moran also missing from our strongest team. Would've liked to see Graham O'Sullivan starting but it's a good team we can't complain. It'll be great to see Kearney in from the start after such a promising debut last week. Hopefully Gavin O'Brien has a good game and Donoghue can keep up last week's form. Great to see White back. I think if he gets a full league behind him he could be a serious asset come championship. It is amazing to think it is his league debut. I'm happy Diarmuid O'Connor isn't starting, I think he has seemed a bit tired in recent games for Na Gaeil and UCC. He has played a lot of football in the last few months.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 558 - 31/01/2020 20:22:38    2264066

Link

Decent team lads, I'd like to see Graham Ó'Sullivan get more of a shout, still we have Dara Moynihan Graham Ó'Sullivan Diarmuid O'Connor burns and killian Spillane all to come on as subs that's great speed to run at a tired defence.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11409 - 31/01/2020 20:38:43    2264068

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Moran also missing from our strongest team. Would've liked to see Graham O'Sullivan starting but it's a good team we can't complain. It'll be great to see Kearney in from the start after such a promising debut last week. Hopefully Gavin O'Brien has a good game and Donoghue can keep up last week's form. Great to see White back. I think if he gets a full league behind him he could be a serious asset come championship. It is amazing to think it is his league debut. I'm happy Diarmuid O'Connor isn't starting, I think he has seemed a bit tired in recent games for Na Gaeil and UCC. He has played a lot of football in the last few months."
Yes, totally agree and actually you are spot on about Diarmuid, he was flying at the latter stages of the Championship, I watched a run of the Na Gaeil all Ireland final, you wouldn't have picked out Diarmuid but the match appeared to pass by all four centre fielders.

But agree I'm looking forward to seeing Liam Kearney in his home debut, he is a seriously promising prospect.

Didn't realize that Gavin White would be his league debut, mad but I suppose Crokes were always on the road until March.

But back to Sat, I'm very happy with the XV and happy at the serious approach to the league by PK. It augurs well but for progression one has to in their home league games.

No pressure,,,,,,

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4785 - 31/01/2020 20:41:44    2264069

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Decent team lads, I'd like to see Graham Ó'Sullivan get more of a shout, still we have Dara Moynihan Graham Ó'Sullivan Diarmuid O'Connor burns and killian Spillane all to come on as subs that's great speed to run at a tired defence."
It's but our own defense has little cover and now that O'Beagleach is out our options are lessened even more

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4785 - 31/01/2020 20:45:04    2264070

Link

Yeah very strong team lads, they were of the opinion on Terrace Talk that PK would be more inclined to look for a settled team from the off this year and start building towards the summer.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5698 - 31/01/2020 21:40:54    2264081

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "It's but our own defense has little cover and now that O'Beagleach is out our options are lessened even more"
True horse I wonder will we see Dan obrien or potts or Wharton Naughton maybe.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11409 - 31/01/2020 21:52:30    2264084

Link

Naughton the ex minute from Crokes? Hardly, I'd be more inclined to bring in was it the O'Donoghues from the East Kerry set up, then again I suppose when fit, you're including Sherwood, Tom Sullivan possibly by two Graham Sull, Glenflesks Daniel O'Brien and Rob Whortan that's 6 on top of the Six listed that's eleven.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4785 - 31/01/2020 22:07:14    2264087

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "True horse I wonder will we see Dan obrien or potts or Wharton Naughton maybe."
Naughton, who are you referring to?

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 558 - 31/01/2020 22:07:53    2264088

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Naughton the ex minute from Crokes? Hardly, I'd be more inclined to bring in was it the O'Donoghues from the East Kerry set up, then again I suppose when fit, you're including Sherwood, Tom Sullivan possibly by two Graham Sull, Glenflesks Daniel O'Brien and Rob Whortan that's 6 on top of the Six listed that's eleven."
Ya David Naughton from crokes horse, he's a good defender and tough as old boots although I would say Nial and Chris O'Donaghue would be great shouts as well, anyway I'd be expecting they'd all be inside on the extended panel.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11409 - 01/02/2020 09:46:21    2264123

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Naughton, who are you referring to?"
David Naughton from crokes kerry15.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11409 - 01/02/2020 09:47:20    2264125

Link