Kerry Forum

Pat Griffin RIP

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Real sorry to read of Pat's death one of the greats of the 60s he was a truly great centre forward an injury on Kerry's world tour 69 hampered him when at the height of his powers He was als unfortunate to come up against the great Galway team of the 60s I remember his first game in Killarney against Cork he burst on the scene as an unknown from Kildare and really shone until that injury He was a leading light for Glenbeigh and for Mid Kerry May Both he and Din Joe RIP Denim comhbhròn leis na gaolta

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 29/10/2019 21:19:35    2246535

Link

RIP Pat. You were before my time but thanks for your service.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11197 - 30/10/2019 11:35:44    2246596

Link

I saw you pat short fast steps and played through some bad times for your beloved kingdom. Rest in peace

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 30/10/2019 15:59:56    2246637

Link

I should say our beloved kingdom hermit.. Kingdomboy.. Horse

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 30/10/2019 17:20:23    2246650

Link

Before my time but my father remembers him well from the first final he ever attended back in 1969.
May he rest in peace with so many more green and gold legends

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5630 - 31/10/2019 09:07:40    2246711

Link

Hermit I was born in 53 and was at my 1st final in 55 sitting on my mother's knee. Don't remember anything about it obviously. My mother came from the town of listowel she was stone mad for football . That is where I got my passion for my beloved kerry and kerry football as the great WEESHIE said to me once always stand by your own. Even if you are 2nd best for the moment. You can say well done to your conquerer and forget them and stand by your own.

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 31/10/2019 15:57:45    2246838

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Hermit I was born in 53 and was at my 1st final in 55 sitting on my mother's knee. Don't remember anything about it obviously. My mother came from the town of listowel she was stone mad for football . That is where I got my passion for my beloved kerry and kerry football as the great WEESHIE said to me once always stand by your own. Even if you are 2nd best for the moment. You can say well done to your conquerer and forget them and stand by your own."
Passion should never dull reason or realism, tá dhá insint I ngach scèal.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 01/11/2019 10:44:21    2246952

Link

RIP Pat I remember watching my 1st All Ireland final on a Black /White TV in 1968 losing to Down and sheding a tear as we were going for our 21st title but the following year we got our 21st beating Offaly Pat was my favourite player as at the time I had a Kerry jersey no 11

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 395 - 01/11/2019 19:44:13    2247058

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Hermit I was born in 53 and was at my 1st final in 55 sitting on my mother's knee. Don't remember anything about it obviously. My mother came from the town of listowel she was stone mad for football . That is where I got my passion for my beloved kerry and kerry football as the great WEESHIE said to me once always stand by your own. Even if you are 2nd best for the moment. You can say well done to your conquerer and forget them and stand by your own."
Aloysius 'Weeshie' Fogarty RIP was a school pal of mine we shared many a good occasion together had reasonable arguments on the merits and demerits of players never resorting to snide remarks reasonable people don't do that sort of thing . I take you back to a Terrace Talk of April 2014 after Kerry suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Cork in a league match in Tralee . Weeshie began by lauding the Kerry hurlers on their win the previous day and then in his words not mine he said AND NOW LETS TURN TO THE ABOMINABLE STATE OF KERRY FOOTBALL he and his panel whom I will not name since some are still waxing eloquent on Monday evenings launched Into a tirade agains management and players , 5 months later Kerry were All Ireland Champions Weeshie God Rest him could turn the water cannon on when he thought it was called for He always stood up for his own .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 02/11/2019 18:54:56    2247267

Link

I will have to agree with you there, I'd love if Fitzgeralds stadium properly developed the St Feinen's end of the stadium and on completion of phase 2 they renamed it the WF terrace end.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4711 - 02/11/2019 20:56:39    2247297

Link

37 every body seems to have been your friend anybody that has been mentioned on here you have some connections with them. You have been asked by me and others on this kerry forum to go to the Dublin or national forum and praise all or who ever you want to praise on there. You are too critical of kerry football

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 02/11/2019 23:05:25    2247316

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "37 every body seems to have been your friend anybody that has been mentioned on here you have some connections with them. You have been asked by me and others on this kerry forum to go to the Dublin or national forum and praise all or who ever you want to praise on there. You are too critical of kerry football"
37 May have lots of friends, but me thinks not a friend of Kerry Football, an obvious echo of our old adversary with a mot back in Dingle and one who prided in serving cold bowls of comeuppance soup, then again may just be me, a few more of the older brigade may know what or who I'm referring to,

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4711 - 03/11/2019 14:16:50    2247390

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "37 May have lots of friends, but me thinks not a friend of Kerry Football, an obvious echo of our old adversary with a mot back in Dingle and one who prided in serving cold bowls of comeuppance soup, then again may just be me, a few more of the older brigade may know what or who I'm referring to,"
I think one of our former friends Crab Claws landed on my lap in September which was thrown from Snuffy's private box in Croker lol.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 123 - 03/11/2019 15:24:53    2247401

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "37 May have lots of friends, but me thinks not a friend of Kerry Football, an obvious echo of our old adversary with a mot back in Dingle and one who prided in serving cold bowls of comeuppance soup, then again may just be me, a few more of the older brigade may know what or who I'm referring to,"
I was thinking the same thing horse :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11197 - 03/11/2019 15:40:10    2247408

Link

Ah Shure lads ye are great gas!! blinkered to the extent your lateral vision is totally stunted, a nice little cage where only those of like views are tolerated seems to be your preference My love of and appreciation of Kerry football goes back over many decades I've seen great , good , and not so good Kerry teams . At present Kerry are in Dublin's slipstream and will be until their defence comes up a few notches I've just left Killarney where I saw a South Kerry team fail to halt Dr Crokes inexorable march to another Co Final . Some weeks ago I predicted what would be my dream Co Final unfortunately I won't be around to see it But today for what it is worth I saw just one back Gavin White (not a number 10 never was nor never will be ) Tony Brosnan worth a look at but there are plenty around for his preferred position Big Brendan as honest as the day is long but miles off the standard required put through in the first five minutes he went on but the ball did not go with him !!! a good junior in my book .It was ver like the All Ireland Kerry had a glorious chance in the drawn game 15 v 14 for half the game they did not cash in and no second chance , ditto South Kerry, one bite at the cherry was their lot .East Kerry hopefully can do it but I have my doubts Dr Crokes are to Kerry what Dublin are to the rest of Ireland a step or 3 ahead of the posse Yesterday I was lucky to be part of a seminar where the great Micheál Ò Muircheartaigh was one of the keynote speakers sharing his football stories .it was a pleasure to listen to a person who does not let Co Prejudice prevent him from seeing other greats from other counties prejudice should never be confused with loyalty. Some of his experiences of disgruntled Kerry people who can't see the other side were funny particularly the story of a Kerryman who could not take Galway's dominance in the 60s blaming the politics of the then Chairperson of Co Board for zKerrys inability to deal with the Galway aristocrats of that era Why have Dr Crokes won so much in Kerry in the past decade ? for me one answer , because the are the best around . The very same reason prevails when we speak of Dublin's dominance I don't like it , but I accept it , as Micheál might say Ciarrai Abù i lathair na huaire agus .coíche.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 03/11/2019 18:08:28    2247460

Link

RIP Pat kerry football have lost a great warrior.

Themall1916 (Kerry) - Posts: 91 - 03/11/2019 18:09:20    2247462

Link

37 the more I read your posts the more I am convinced you are in cukoo land as you know and are or have been friends with the best.

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 03/11/2019 19:28:03    2247484

Link

takes one to know one, athníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 03/11/2019 19:59:31    2247495

Link

At last 37 you are out of the nest

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 599 - 03/11/2019 21:34:16    2247525

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "At last 37 you are out of the nest"
Ye are mighty men altogether, to turn this post into a one-man-upship slinging match. Please re-read the title, and realize whom it is supposed to be about!

shoulderghost (Limerick) - Posts: 863 - 04/11/2019 12:16:22    2247633

Link