Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Not to be pedantic but I don't think spiddal are protesting the fact that the score was recorded wrong. They are protesting the score being told to them wrong which is entirely different.

I.e. if the correct score was in actual fact recorded spiddal would still be in the relegation. So I don't see how they could protest that.

The fact that spiddal had a free near the end is irrelevant. No guarantee any point would have been scored or anything. I've seen 14 yard frees missed before. If it was a black and white scoreboard error they would have had a chance with an appeal. Not with this I'm affraid.

They should have enough to stay up but will be very right between the four.

square_ball (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 05/09/2020 17:53:36    2290705

Link

I'm surprised so many think moycullen will walk over st James. Maybe by a point or two but I don't think moycullen have done too much to be second behind corofin as a lot of people have.

square_ball (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 05/09/2020 17:55:48    2290706

Link

Replying To square_ball:  "I'm surprised so many think moycullen will walk over st James. Maybe by a point or two but I don't think moycullen have done too much to be second behind corofin as a lot of people have."
Moycullen by 6+

Stop Conroys influence (granted not an easy task hes a great player) and james will struggle.We have kelly , Bradshaw , lydon to try lessen his impact on the game

Can the Kelly's, conneely, bohan be stopped by James's?

I dont think we have done anything to be considered up their with Corofin but we have done enough to show we can handle st James's unless theres a serious off day

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 05/09/2020 20:51:00    2290731

Link

An Spidéal won the appeal. Game has now been recorded as a draw, 0-16 to 1-13. Has no bearing on the rest of the championship but it's an admission that the ref was wrong and that shows basically that they were shafted by an officiating error.

GalwayFancyDans (Galway) - Posts: 75 - 05/09/2020 21:20:19    2290739

Link

Replying To GalwayFancyDans:  "An Spidéal won the appeal. Game has now been recorded as a draw, 0-16 to 1-13. Has no bearing on the rest of the championship but it's an admission that the ref was wrong and that shows basically that they were shafted by an officiating error."
Exactly, which was the point of the appeal. It's important that such critical errors are highlighted and acknowledged. Refs will be more diligent as a result from now on.
They can now "GET ON WITH IT", as a very wise man once said, many many times. ;)

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 955 - 06/09/2020 09:58:26    2290769

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Exactly, which was the point of the appeal. It's important that such critical errors are highlighted and acknowledged. Refs will be more diligent as a result from now on.
They can now "GET ON WITH IT", as a very wise man once said, many many times. ;)"
Was the appeal heard? Great the championship won't be delayed & spiddal GET ON WITH IT. I do think Moycullen only team that can put it up to corofin. In relegation feel it will be Caherlistrane & Spiddal fighting it out.

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 211 - 06/09/2020 12:26:18    2290787

Link

Replying To Eire89:  "Was the appeal heard? Great the championship won't be delayed & spiddal GET ON WITH IT. I do think Moycullen only team that can put it up to corofin. In relegation feel it will be Caherlistrane & Spiddal fighting it out."
GET ON WITH IT yourself ..., and get over it! They club had every right to be heard- inaccurate score keeping is not good enough.

TikTok (Galway) - Posts: 3 - 06/09/2020 17:32:58    2290813

Link

Could be a serious precedent to set. Club Gaa games where there is a dispute over a score or a ref jotting down a point as a wide are not exactly unheard of.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 06/09/2020 20:20:56    2290849

Link

Replying To TikTok:  "GET ON WITH IT yourself ..., and get over it! They club had every right to be heard- inaccurate score keeping is not good enough."
Exactly. If the scorekeeping had been correctly recorded during the game, and the ref's attention was drawn to this during the match, then Spiddal's last free would potentially have been a winner. That would make a fair difference between safety and possible relegation.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 64 - 06/09/2020 20:41:48    2290855

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "Exactly. If the scorekeeping had been correctly recorded during the game, and the ref's attention was drawn to this during the match, then Spiddal's last free would potentially have been a winner. That would make a fair difference between safety and possible relegation."
4 umpires, 2 linesmen and a ref and this can still happen................................

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1343 - 07/09/2020 09:15:25    2290900

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "4 umpires, 2 linesmen and a ref and this can still happen................................"
and about 10 selectors mgmt & video & stats men.

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 211 - 07/09/2020 11:01:18    2290926

Link

Replying To Eire89:  "and about 10 selectors mgmt & video & stats men."
What part of Spiddal are you from Eire89?

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 07/09/2020 13:05:23    2290972

Link

Replying To Eire89:  "and about 10 selectors mgmt & video & stats men."
Sometimes, an incidence of injustice, such as the clearly happened here, is in fact a more just justice when looking at the bigger picture, from the Prairie! That is why I am against the hooter being introduced to the men's Gaa. The ref has to be able to administer justice on the field with a certain degree of discretion. It also adds to the agony for supporters in a close game, "how long more is he going to play". Spiddal will get everything that is going the next day to make up this mistake, with Monivea-Abbey the victims. Of course Monivea will have to have their case remedied then in the following round with a few close in soft ones, and so on.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1044 - 07/09/2020 13:22:23    2290978

Link

Predictions on quarter finals and relegation?

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 42 - 07/09/2020 14:39:31    2290997

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Sometimes, an incidence of injustice, such as the clearly happened here, is in fact a more just justice when looking at the bigger picture, from the Prairie! That is why I am against the hooter being introduced to the men's Gaa. The ref has to be able to administer justice on the field with a certain degree of discretion. It also adds to the agony for supporters in a close game, "how long more is he going to play". Spiddal will get everything that is going the next day to make up this mistake, with Monivea-Abbey the victims. Of course Monivea will have to have their case remedied then in the following round with a few close in soft ones, and so on."
You're not making a whole pile of sense here to be fair.

galway2015 (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 07/09/2020 15:28:12    2291003

Link

Replying To galway6:  "Predictions on quarter finals and relegation?"
Corrofin + 12, salthill v weak defensively this year, Hanley mct are too slow now, corrofin need to up their game based on their poor showing by their own standards v carraroe

Moycullen +6, james are good but not top 4, this is where we will see where moycullen are mentally, the crumbled in last years semi so it's time they start pushing on

MM +3, kilanin will be competitive but feel MM will do enough

Tuam +2, for some reason I feel Tuam perform best against higher rated teams probably fav tags. Bearna will be set up well but I feel Tuam the better ballers

C'listrane +4, MB don't seem to have any interest this year and annaghdown should have hammered them, from reports they went for goal most attacks

Monivea + 4 monivea to draw on their hurlers who are finished and soccer players, Mcdaid to return and turn the screw.

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 07/09/2020 17:36:58    2291016

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Corrofin + 12, salthill v weak defensively this year, Hanley mct are too slow now, corrofin need to up their game based on their poor showing by their own standards v carraroe

Moycullen +6, james are good but not top 4, this is where we will see where moycullen are mentally, the crumbled in last years semi so it's time they start pushing on

MM +3, kilanin will be competitive but feel MM will do enough

Tuam +2, for some reason I feel Tuam perform best against higher rated teams probably fav tags. Bearna will be set up well but I feel Tuam the better ballers

C'listrane +4, MB don't seem to have any interest this year and annaghdown should have hammered them, from reports they went for goal most attacks

Monivea + 4 monivea to draw on their hurlers who are finished and soccer players, Mcdaid to return and turn the screw."
Corofin to do enough to win +5 or 6
Jimmies to win by 3 or 4
MM + 1 or 2 though JD a huge loss.
Barna to shock Tuam
C'listrane yes by 3 or 4
Spiddal to see off Monivea as per my earlier post.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1044 - 07/09/2020 18:03:34    2291023

Link

Firstly I think it pure daft that no supporters allowed into any adult championships matches no problem 200-300 going into underage matches or matches at club grounds which I have no problem with , one thing I have problem with is the amount of Stewart's at match days now unreal most put on the yellow jackets and all of a sudden they are steward and it almost impossible get enough stewards for Galway home league matches ,,, guaranteed there be at least 20 stewards at every match next weekend probably more and no crowd ,,,,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 488 - 07/09/2020 18:31:46    2291028

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Sometimes, an incidence of injustice, such as the clearly happened here, is in fact a more just justice when looking at the bigger picture, from the Prairie! That is why I am against the hooter being introduced to the men's Gaa. The ref has to be able to administer justice on the field with a certain degree of discretion. It also adds to the agony for supporters in a close game, "how long more is he going to play". Spiddal will get everything that is going the next day to make up this mistake, with Monivea-Abbey the victims. Of course Monivea will have to have their case remedied then in the following round with a few close in soft ones, and so on."
Very accurate assessment & true.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1072 - 08/09/2020 00:21:55    2291068

Link

Mike Daly pull hamstring in a challenge game against clonberne at the weekend supposedly?killanin cud be a value bet

mickruane (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 08/09/2020 09:01:39    2291084

Link