(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How are your hurlers looking this year, any retirements/new additions

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 49 - 23/01/2020 10:34:10    2261731

Link

Any new players this year in the squad?

geoff (Tyrone) - Posts: 377 - 24/01/2020 11:43:34    2261908

Link

Replying To geoff:  "Any new players this year in the squad?"
Not sure if any new players but heard that Bernard Lafferty & Gerard Gilmore are back on the panel this year. Lookds like a tough group in the League, teams all fairly well matched.

sportinghills (Donegal) - Posts: 9 - 24/01/2020 18:39:37    2261974

Link

Replying To sportinghills:  "Not sure if any new players but heard that Bernard Lafferty & Gerard Gilmore are back on the panel this year. Lookds like a tough group in the League, teams all fairly well matched."
Whats the craic with this man Gilmore. Program today had him as Mac Cumhaills. If that is true,is that not Strabane-McCs-Setanta and back to McCs in 5 years. The clubs are all within few miles of each other

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 261 - 26/01/2020 19:37:37    2262606

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "Whats the craic with this man Gilmore. Program today had him as Mac Cumhaills. If that is true,is that not Strabane-McCs-Setanta and back to McCs in 5 years. The clubs are all within few miles of each other"
I think he is with Setanta still. He originally left Strabane when they folded and went to Ballybofey, but Setanta are closer to home therefore he went there plus he is romancing down there too. I thought there were more new faces on the squad this year, I heard Devine had been added but I take it thats false.

geoff (Tyrone) - Posts: 377 - 27/01/2020 12:58:00    2262862

Link

Good win yesterday, looks like between yourselves and Armagh for the promotion spot.

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 49 - 03/02/2020 10:58:20    2264772

Link

Hurlers going well hopefully will beat Armagh and get back to Division 2.

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 49 - 04/03/2020 11:31:14    2272151

Link

Congrats to the Hurlers today on their win against Armagh and promotion back to Division 2.

Well done lads.

MartinEgan (UK) - Posts: 32 - 08/03/2020 16:05:39    2272832

Link

Congratulations on the win

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1131 - 08/03/2020 19:41:28    2272877

Link

Tremendous result for the hurlers today. Hope that they can continue this form into Championship.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 08/03/2020 20:30:56    2272894

Link

Great win for the hurlers back to division 2 well done all.

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 49 - 08/03/2020 23:23:51    2272934

Link

Semi-Finals in the hurling on this weekend. Burt V Setanta & Eunan's V Buncrana? How do we see these going? Will Eunan's have some players back now they they are out of the football?

sportinghills (Donegal) - Posts: 9 - 15/09/2020 12:44:09    2292218

Link

Replying To sportinghills:  "Semi-Finals in the hurling on this weekend. Burt V Setanta & Eunan's V Buncrana? How do we see these going? Will Eunan's have some players back now they they are out of the football?"
Id like to think our lads will have enough to get past Burt although we have a few injuries plus a few men away at the minute so it could be a tight enough game, Burt can always raise it for the championship though, especially the knock out stages.
in the other semi you'd expect Eunan,s to win by 6 or 7 points, Buncrana just dont have enough firepower up front to cause Eunan,s much bother. Eunans will have all the footballers back which will be a massive boost to them.

crossroadshurler (Donegal) - Posts: 3 - 17/09/2020 09:38:44    2292617

Link

Best of luck to the hurlers who take on Mayo in Nicky Rackard final in Croke Park on Sunday.

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 49 - 17/11/2020 20:37:37    2310825

Link

Replying To erneboys:  "Best of luck to the hurlers who take on Mayo in Nicky Rackard final in Croke Park on Sunday."
Yes, they deserve a big mention. They have done great to get to the final and hopefully all goes well on the day. Its been tricky for them this year being scheduled in the shadow of the football on a few days. Best of luck to all involved.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 251 - 18/11/2020 13:37:31    2311048

Link

Hi all, I'm mostly a football man but I'm just wondering what standard are our hurlers at.. Getting in to watching it with the top teams got me thinking what would need to happen for Donegal hurling team to complete in the Liam McCarthy Cup.. I presume that's miles way off but could it happen down the line sometime.. Imagine Donegal v kilkenny in a championship match in Croke some time in the future.. Probably it will never happen but never say never right?

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 109 - 20/11/2020 00:17:25    2311596

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Hi all, I'm mostly a football man but I'm just wondering what standard are our hurlers at.. Getting in to watching it with the top teams got me thinking what would need to happen for Donegal hurling team to complete in the Liam McCarthy Cup.. I presume that's miles way off but could it happen down the line sometime.. Imagine Donegal v kilkenny in a championship match in Croke some time in the future.. Probably it will never happen but never say never right?"
I think the hurlers are at a reasonably high standard at the moment. They've had wins over Down, Derry & Armagh in recent years which would suggest big progress has been made. Down will contest the Christy Ring final this weekend so the standard between the Christy Ring & Nicky Rackard would seem to be close enough whereas I would say it would be a big step up then to the Joe MacDonagh (Antrim, Kerry, Westmeath, Carlow). The only worry I would have is that most of the top players are 30 or over, Sean McVeigh, Joe Boyle, Danny Cullen & Declan Coulter are all on the wrong side of 30. On top of that, the team has included an awful lot of players from other counties in recent years-Coulter, Davin Flynn, Luke White, Niall Cleary, Michael Donoghue & Gerard Gilmore are all from outside the county. If these players had not joined the panel it's hard to see the team having the same amount of success. To answer your question, it would need an incredible amount of investment to push Donegal to even Joe MacDonagh level. Coaches going into the schools, local clubs, etc. An increase in the number of clubs playing hurling in the county would probably be needed. Very hard to be competitive at the top level in both codes. Only Galway, Cork, Dublin & Tipp seem to be capable at the moment. All counties with big populations and a large number of clubs.

sportinghills (Donegal) - Posts: 9 - 20/11/2020 22:30:46    2311878

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Hi all, I'm mostly a football man but I'm just wondering what standard are our hurlers at.. Getting in to watching it with the top teams got me thinking what would need to happen for Donegal hurling team to complete in the Liam McCarthy Cup.. I presume that's miles way off but could it happen down the line sometime.. Imagine Donegal v kilkenny in a championship match in Croke some time in the future.. Probably it will never happen but never say never right?"
The gap in football between div 1 and div 4 is huge but in hurling the gap is very much greater.To bridge that gap a little bit in a county like Donegal you would need to have hurling team in each club area.As GAA people every club should make an attempt to promote hurling.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 730 - 20/11/2020 23:13:22    2311891

Link

More clubs. Dungloe offer hurling for Gweedore, Cloughaneely, and other clubs in the Rosses. They field a team in Junior and got to the final. I think there are 3 more clubs fielding teams at Junior level alongside B teams for clubs competing at Senior level. It would be great to have Dungloe up there. Their tiers are being adjusted so it will have 6 teams in it next year. Assuming we're promoted. That would be:

Derry
Donegal
Offaly
Roscommon
Sligo
Wicklow

Just shows you how far Offaly have fallen. Donegal hurling is moving in the right decision. It would be great to have our own Slaughtneil like Derry. Setanta is the most likely candidate. Donegal v Kilkenny would likely be a one side affair and I could actually see the GAA pulling some strings and holding the game in Ballybofey to promote the game up north.

Rolo2010 (Donegal) - Posts: 264 - 21/11/2020 03:30:13    2311912

Link

Firstly best of luck to the hurlers tomorrow. Mayo are a strong team at the level.

I always think it's kind of a nerdy stat that up 1990 that donegal had won as many ulster titles in hurling as football!

Football was also very slow to take hold in donegal and think that we are the next county before westmeath to win its first provisional in 1972. It's only in recent times that donegal would be considered a football county. Up until this it's not hard to argue that it was the least gaa county in ireland.

To promote hurling it's either a big pile of money to have full time coaches and target clubs. Though if there is not enough interest in the club then even with a full time coaches the game won't take hold so need commitment from the club before even starting. If it does friction can start to take hold and when the games start competing for resources things can get messy. There are very few places where both codes peacefully co-exist. In cork and galway have hurling and football strongholds with not much overlap. Tipp definitely did something in the noughties through the early tens in football. They won a minor against an exceptional dublin minor team in 2011 (john small, Jack McCaffrey, kieran kilkenny, cormac costello, paul mannion and a few more) and probably should have won an under 21 in 2015. Maybe they'll beat cork tomorrow but the county has no real interest and you're working against this. Hurling faces the same challenge in donegal.

With the money that went into dublin the hurling team should be competing properly for Liam Mccarthy and despite the population and resources football has even hindered them. The likes of Kilkenny, costello, con ocallaghan, Rory ocarroll were great underage hurlers and if they committed to hurling dublin would be competing but football is the sport in dublin.

Buncrana has done great work recently and think this came from a very dedicated individual bringing through an underage group. I'm sure this a huge effort and to keep it going you probably need a number of very dedicated folks at underage level to keep the talent through. In many clubs it's no doubt really hard to get the volunteer's to do the work for football never mind considering hurling.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 381 - 21/11/2020 12:23:11    2311972

Link