Antrim Forum

Football Leagues 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Saffron_don I don't need to argue about Armaghs status at present in Ulster. We know where we are. I Am confident that this is a big year for us, we have the makings of an Ulster Final and an All Ireland semi.

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 15/01/2015 09:14:52    1683393

Link

Rules_man

I'm not going to deny that Armagh may have a say in things this year. However to come on to an Antrim page bragging about thumping a bare bones Antrim team after losing to an out of sorts Tyrone side and somehow claim your ready to take Ulster etc is a little smug to say the least. Yes your manager prepares teams as well as time allows him to but his Kildare side were hyped to start winning things for several years and never did. I dont think anybody is in a position to judge Armagh's status, you included, until they are put to the test at the business end of the season. So give it a rest till the summers months at least, would ye!

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 1952 - 15/01/2015 11:32:31    1683437

Link

This thread is about antrim football leagues 2015- please keep the armagh chat to another thread.

Does anyone know why lisburn did not get promoted to Div 3?

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 15/01/2015 12:45:39    1683467

Link

johnanthony I am not surprised in the slightest at Rasharkin being in the Imtermediate - I fancy themselves along with Moneyglass and Ballymena will be early favourites I would not rate them any better than the other two while they are miles off challenging of probably even winning games in the Senior Championship.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 15/01/2015 12:57:36    1683471

Link

spy_in_the_sky good spot re St Mals getting to stay up - really surprised by that also - unless Lisburn opted against going up though I do not know why they would.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 15/01/2015 13:02:27    1683474

Link

Rules_man I for one would like to see a strong Armagh this year - while some were surprised by their progress last year I would like to see them build on it. I always like to see the Ulster counties as strong as possible for taking the fight south so a strong Armagh is good by me. That said other posters are correct as well in saying that McKenna cup is a gauge for nothing.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 15/01/2015 13:17:26    1683485

Link

I hear Lisburn did in fact want to go up. In my opinion it should be one up one down in regards to division 4 as it is only a 6 team league but very unfair on Lisburn who assumed they were going up. St Malachys pull a few strings? Davitts and Glenravel down to junior will make it a lot tougher, no real surprise with Rasharkin dropping down to Intermediate as they had a very poor season last year in which they were out of their depth. Anyone care to make early promotion/ relgation predictions and championship winners now everything is finalised.

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 15/01/2015 14:41:12    1683518

Link

Anyone care to make early promotion/ relgation predictions and championship winners now everything is finalised.

Somehow I don't think the published lists are the finalised lists though I may be wrong.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3988 - 15/01/2015 15:01:22    1683529

Link

You know something the rest of us don't Offside?

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 15/01/2015 15:22:03    1683542

Link

spy_in_the_sky I had already predicted leagues on the previous page. As for Championships I will go with:

Senior
St Galls

Intermediate
Ballymena

Junior
Antrim

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 15/01/2015 15:25:57    1683544

Link

You know something the rest of us don't Offside?

Always.... ;-)

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3988 - 15/01/2015 15:36:23    1683547

Link

spy in the sky "st malachys's pull a few strings" ? LOL in my opinion div4 shouldn't exist, div3 should be a larger league with glenravel 2nds and aghagallon 2nds should be in the reserve league with all the rest of the reserve teams???

fullforward72 (Antrim) - Posts: 4 - 15/01/2015 19:04:43    1683641

Link

To say St Malachy's pulled a few strings is completely wrong. i think they probably made a case to the county given the fact that they won JFC and actually competed well in div 3 although some results might not show that but i seen them a few times and they looked thin on numbers when they had a few injuries. Looks a bit like the Aggies case last year, i think they put forward the case showing when they played mitchells and ballycastle in championship that playing at that level week in week out would do nothing for either themselves or those clubs. As far as i remember LD done something similar a few years ago in Hurling. My only problem would be that Mals shouldn't stay up at the expense of Lisburn.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 16/01/2015 10:03:31    1683761

Link

the_watcher if that is all correct then I think it is then a dangerous precedent that the county have entered in to over whatever period.

I mean if league placing cannot determine promotion/relegation then what is the point plus is it written in somewhere before the season begins that there is potential to review any clubs performance and grant them extra marks if it is determined that they have been handicapped or deserve bonus points? Also if it was determined that St Mals as Junior Champions are too good for Division 4 then for sake of argument maybe should it also have been determined that they compete in the intermediate championship? I think as usual within Antrim it appears that favouritism is alive and well.

Now before anyone from St Mals get on my case this is not an attack on St Mals who by all accounts are a great club generally doing well and flying the flag in a more difficult area but rather the nonsense administration that seems to appear within the county on an ongoing basis.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 16/01/2015 11:11:03    1683795

Link

Was about to post in response but Naysayer has said a lot of what I was going to say. The one thing that I would add is that promotion/relegation was on a 2 up and 2 down basis - this was asked way back on the County website and confirmed that this was the case across the leagues. Now, for a team to have finished in the bottom 2 of a league and not be relegated at the expense of the team who finsihed 2nd in the next league is not on. I am sure that Aghagallon could make a similar case given they were relegated to Div 3 due to a point taken away from them plus they were Intermediate Champions the previous year or indeed St Pauls given that 2 other teams finished on the same points as them.

As for precedents - they mean nothing to the Antrim County board. They just do as they please when they please without feeling the need to justify themselves to anyone.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3988 - 16/01/2015 11:37:38    1683802

Link

Plus Aghagallon could rightly argue that they put out the kids towards the end of the season in the knowledge that they were safe before getting docked the crucial point - but hey!

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 16/01/2015 12:01:53    1683808

Link

The Watcher the fact in the matter is St Malachys finished in the bottom 2. Every club has injuries. By your logic St Malachys should therefore be playing Intermediate Championship. Now dont get me wrong 3 divisions may be a worthwhile idea but for the time being at least, the current structures should be adhered to and Lisburn feel they have earned their promotion as the county bye laws state 2 up 2 down.

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 16/01/2015 12:11:09    1683815

Link

unsure why the county went ahead with the 4 leagues, would have made more sense 3 divisions of 12 teams.

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 16/01/2015 12:29:00    1683827

Link

Probably due to the fixtures clog, fixtures hardly get fulfilled as it is. I would be in agreement that they should make 3 divisions and start the leagues at the beginning of March. April is a long time to wait for a player.

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 16/01/2015 12:40:54    1683831

Link

I did say in my post that it shouldn't be instead of Lisburn they are the team that have been shafted here no doubt but to put any blame at St Malachy's door is pretty unfair. Looking at it at face value i would say they asked the question why in the previous season did only one team get relegated from Div 3, not 100% sure how many came up that year. St Malachy's are trying to look after number 1 and good luck to them. On the point of Championship, 100% i think they should play IFC, same as Glenravel stepped up to IHC this year it should be the aim to win Junior and move to intermediate. Also not 100% sure on this but is there a rule that you can't represent the county in junior/intermediate again for 2 seasons?

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 16/01/2015 13:10:10    1683841

Link