Carlow Forum

2020 Minor Hurling Final

(Oldest Posts First)

I just want to congratulate both Mt Leinster Rangers and Bagenalstown Gaels on their contribution to an outstanding Minor Hurling Final past night. All of the skills of the game were on show, striking, first touch, hooking, blocking, speed and add in the passion, courage, work rate and never say die attitude. Both management teams and the players deserve huge credit A final score line of 6-23 to 5-17 after extra time doesn't do Bagenalstown justice but the hurt of the minor football final drove MLR on in extra time.

A super effort from Bagenalstown in the 2nd half after being suckerpunched at the end of the first half with the sending off and conceding a goal from the subsequent free to only be a point ahead at half time. MLR also showed huge resilience in the 2nd half when the game was slipping away from them to earn a draw.

For Bagenalstown, I thought Stephen Lillis in goal, Eoghan Hickey, James Farrell, Billy Fitzpatrick, Eoin Doyle, Jake Doyle, Oisin Dillon and Micheal Mullins had outstanding games. On the Rangers side they had impressive performances from Kyle Foley, Robert Stafford, James Bible, Donagh Murphy, Jamie Nolan and Joe Dundon.

It's hard to believe that MLR won earlier in the year by over 20 points. Their dominance at minor level continues but they are made to work hard for their titles especially in recent years. It's tough on Bagenalstown especially after losing last year's final after a replay but hopefully they can stay at it and feed into the senior team in the next few years.

The future of Carlow hurling is bright on last nights display.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1821 - 22/09/2020 09:45:25    2293512

Link

Superb game, nail biting and a thriller to the independent observer. Was expecting a serious write up in this weeks Carlow Nationalist to give credit to the showcase that these teams put on. Unfortunately a full match review was omitted and we're just treated to manager reaction. Seeing as the match was a sell-out, given limited attendance criteria due to Covid, I would have expected a fuller report.

JuniorB4life (Carlow) - Posts: 1 - 30/09/2020 10:00:45    2294842

Link