Carlow Forum

Turlough Steps Down

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Semperfidelis:  "According to Co.board statement it looks like you misunderstood"
Was hardly going to be broadcast in a public statement... Seems lockdown has fried a few brains on here.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 340 - 10/06/2020 11:21:04    2280262

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "I can't agree with suggestions we get a caretaker manager in for the championship. Sure if that's the case why would Turlough leave. As per the county board statement there's going to be little or no time between this year's championship and the start of next year's league. The whole point of Turlough leaving now is so as not to leave the county with no manager so close to the start of the league. Whoever we get now has to take it through from this year's championship to next year's league and championship again.

As for Mick Lillis ... emphatic no thank you. Leix had to move him on very quickly. There's nobody in that county that would be of any use to us. They've been going to Kerry themselves for managers recently. County board need to stay well clear of Leix please.

Has to be Joe Murphy for me, assuming Steven Poacher is a no go."
I would have to think its unlikely Joe would take it, not this year anyway, but one i think might be worth thinking of is maurice brown, for those who dont know him he is a kerry man living in carlow, has managed a sr championship winning side in wexford and got killeshin to a sr laois final last year and was lucky not to win it, in with laois as a selector currently. School teacher in the town too and knows about carlow football

more4me (Carlow) - Posts: 95 - 10/06/2020 12:34:54    2280272

Link

Replying To Semperfidelis:  "According to Co.board statement it looks like you misunderstood"
Semper, can I suggest you to the carlow gaa twitter page and listen to Turloughs interview.

It's great listening.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1151 - 10/06/2020 16:05:42    2280307

Link

Replying To more4me:  "I would have to think its unlikely Joe would take it, not this year anyway, but one i think might be worth thinking of is maurice brown, for those who dont know him he is a kerry man living in carlow, has managed a sr championship winning side in wexford and got killeshin to a sr laois final last year and was lucky not to win it, in with laois as a selector currently. School teacher in the town too and knows about carlow football"
Think Joe Murphy will take it, hope so too.

There will hardly be a Leinster club competition this year
so he may be keen to take on the county challenge.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1151 - 10/06/2020 18:07:45    2280326

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Was hardly going to be broadcast in a public statement... Seems lockdown has fried a few brains on here."
Why not?Lots of sports resignations are for personal reasons!

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 131 - 10/06/2020 23:27:18    2280372

Link

Replying To more4me:  "I would have to think its unlikely Joe would take it, not this year anyway, but one i think might be worth thinking of is maurice brown, for those who dont know him he is a kerry man living in carlow, has managed a sr championship winning side in wexford and got killeshin to a sr laois final last year and was lucky not to win it, in with laois as a selector currently. School teacher in the town too and knows about carlow football"
Great shout.

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 131 - 10/06/2020 23:28:42    2280373

Link

Great interview, really enjoyable to listen to and brought back some happy recent memories. The mans absolute passion for the game and the County shone through. Definitely he should stay involved in some way down the line , in fact it would be hard to see him not doing so. Great insight on his motivation to get involved , nice to hear him mention his father near the end when he became a little emotional but a hint of what makes him tick. In fact in counties with successful,tradition these type of people exist in abundance and drive things on, we could do with more Of them. No doubt he understood time for him to move on, but certainly he has left things better than he inherited.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 11/06/2020 01:26:25    2280380

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Great interview, really enjoyable to listen to and brought back some happy recent memories. The mans absolute passion for the game and the County shone through. Definitely he should stay involved in some way down the line , in fact it would be hard to see him not doing so. Great insight on his motivation to get involved , nice to hear him mention his father near the end when he became a little emotional but a hint of what makes him tick. In fact in counties with successful,tradition these type of people exist in abundance and drive things on, we could do with more Of them. No doubt he understood time for him to move on, but certainly he has left things better than he inherited."
The interview on Carlow Gaa would leave you in no doubt to the commitment, passion and intelligence of the man.
I think what Turlough did can be continued. He spoke of leaders within the team and my hope is the legacy Turlough has left can be harnessed and not just something we define as glory days in barren years to come.
We need a Carlow man who can unite and drive us forward. Lack of talent is not an issue. The levels of maturity and commitment needed is immense and that's the key.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 515 - 11/06/2020 16:27:05    2280441

Link

I don't think Joe Murphy is interested in the job, at least not at the moment. He is clearly the standout candidate though - his work with Old Leighlin, St. Laurence's & Éire Óg speaks for itself. (I forget how he got on in Graigue?)

I believe Gerry McGuill's name could be in the hat. Former Donegal footballer, school principal in town. Managed Dublin Ladies to All Ireland in 2010, former coach of Tipp Senior footballers, has been involved with a few UCD Sigerson teams, manages Carlow ladies, & has had a host of jobs at club & county level in Laois & Tipp. Is familiar with local scene & has plenty of experience.

Smokeless Red (Carlow) - Posts: 8 - 13/06/2020 06:49:25    2280577

Link

Wonder would Pat Critchley and Mick Dempsey be interested ?

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1151 - 13/06/2020 15:30:22    2280656

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Wonder would Pat Critchley and Mick Dempsey be interested ?"
Now there are two interesting possibilities... both with excellent credentials.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 153 - 13/06/2020 20:32:20    2280711

Link