Wicklow Forum

Wicklow Vs London

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Only 10 bobs Pistelero

freilly (Wicklow) - Posts: 118 - 04/02/2014 09:52:13    1541038

Link

I know a couple of lads through work who are with Creggan .. only one lad with Creggan involved with Antrim footballers , so Creggan being in All Ireland wont be a big impact. Antrim footballers not going that well according to reports - but that can change come Sunday of course. Creggan facilities supposed to be good.

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 04/02/2014 15:11:53    1541271

Link

Well done to the players and management on Sunday on a well deserved win.The team played well as a unit and showed purpose , confidence and a solid workrate throughout the field. Johnny McGee's influence can be seen already at this early stage as the skill levels in passing , shooting and support play have greatly improved while the strength and conditioning programme is also beginning to bear fruit as it was the first time in many years that we saw players breaking tackles instead of turning back from the tackle.After looking at some of the training sessions there is now a very professional approach with no sloppiness or shortcuts accepted. There is also an emphasis on confidence building and how to concentrate in games especially on the next ball rather than the mistake or blunder that a player has just made.The emphasis is to encourage your team mate rather than hanging ones head after a mistake has been made or criticising the player involved. God knows we have enough of those in the spectators.Listening to the players ,looking at the number on the panel and seeing the response at training suggests that the players are really enjoying it. There is a great sense of respect between management and players alike.
I know posters will point to the weakness of the London challenge and I will be the first to agree as they were disjointed in their play due to a lack of match practice but they showed glimpses in their play at times that they have real potential to take points off other teams as their teamwork and fitness levels improve in the second half of the league especially in Ruislip when they will have a full compliment to call on.
Despite the win I still would have concerns. I thought our fullback line showed a lack of pace which would be exploited by a faster and slick moving full forward line . From a management point of view I was disappointed to see that when substitutions were introduced with the game won ,some long serving members were used instead of giving young members of the panel a chance to prove their worth. We cant expect those young players to pull the game out of the fire in other games if they are not given game time in situations like this.
Antrim is a real 4 pointer I feel that if we can get a result up there then our prospects of promotion will have been given a real boost.To management , players and all involved - well done and keep up the effort. Build on the positive start

leftfoot (Wicklow) - Posts: 87 - 04/02/2014 15:19:12    1541277

Link

Brother told me it was €10 in on Sunday and not €15. I dont think the money goes to County Board but instead to croke park. By all accounts a small enough crowd but slightly bigger than first game last year.

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 04/02/2014 15:21:18    1541280

Link

Tickets are €10 if bought in advance (Supervalu etc) and €15 is buying on the day.

macfeargusa (Wicklow) - Posts: 240 - 04/02/2014 15:34:50    1541293

Link

Leftfoot

That was as good a summary as I have heard in a long time. I like some others here would like to add to your statement re supporters and negativity. We see it here all the time. If we keep telling our players young and old that we are useless and going nowhere then they will oblige us and give us what we ask for. If we and I mean the whole county get a more upbeat and positive attitude then we will do much better.

Time to snap out of the rut and believe that we can change.

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 04/02/2014 15:36:39    1541294

Link

I misread it €15 into div 1 and 2 games also div 1 hurling if not bought in retail outlets all other divisions are €10

pistelero (Wicklow) - Posts: 1715 - 04/02/2014 16:09:16    1541328

Link

Pistelero, Where you not at the game?:

Decent first half performance today when we had wind i would be disappointed by second half we were very sloppy to many players wanting to go it alone we turned over to much ball to opposition,kicked to many balls away,we struggled around the middle and halfback,which half was the real Wicklow,Glynn is a class act on the ball but he is only one we need a few more like him.I still think we will struggle in places like Ennis,Ardfinan and Casement,Tipp hammered Carlow in Cullen today i don't know how poor Carlow are but we always struggle there.I still can't see us getting more than 9 points that's based on winning our 3 home game's beating Waterford away and maybe a point in Ennis.I think we will need 11 to get promotion.

Do you not know how much you paid in?

wicklowrunner (Wicklow) - Posts: 637 - 04/02/2014 16:27:13    1541341

Link

I agree - more positivity is a good thing as it is in any walk of life.

Some of comments maybe pointed towards Pistelero & worth reminding all that Pistelero is as entitled to his opinion as anyone.

A long way to go & I will stick to what I said that promotion from Div 4 is entirely possible - but next 2 weeks will tell a lot & had we Glynn , Furlong , McGraynor etc at start of Div 3 campaign we wouldnt be in Div 4.

So - although lots of positivity a good suggestion. However , we need to acknowledge we are in Div 4 & the gap between Div 4 & Div 2 & 1 just keeps widening. Armagh game is a reminder how after a couple of good performances in C'ship - being at lower levels the wheels can come off spectactularly.

We need to be out of Div 4 this year & not get caught down there for another 3 or 4 years going no where.

So far so good at very early stage this year & thats a positve - with lots of games to be played yet. Carlow had their one win in Div 4 last year & it was un expected v Tipperary in Roinn 1 & didnt win a game afterwards from memory - let that be a reminder that Div 4 can swing in either direction. I firmly believe we are good enough to be promoted if we keep attitude right & important players fit.

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 04/02/2014 16:52:26    1541366

Link

Wicklowrunner i had tickets before we went to Aughrim got them as a present actually so they cost me nothing

pistelero (Wicklow) - Posts: 1715 - 04/02/2014 18:16:47    1541444

Link

My predictions for Sunday.
Antrim v Wicklow.I feel this one will go down to the wire.I dont think Wicklow will get as many chances as last week we probably should have had another 3.5 so we will need to miss nothing if we are to get anything out of game.I will go for low scoring draw.
Tipp will do a demolition job on Waterford at home going by the Carlow result based on that it should be a +15 win.
London v Carlow.London are at home and now have a competitive game under their belt,we still dont know how good they are but if they have the pick of quality players we are led to believe they have,they should be to good for Carlow.I will go for a +6 home win
Clare v Leitrim.This could be the most intriguing contest of all,both had good wins last week,home advantage could swing it for Clare but as i think Leitrim will finish in top 3,I will go for a narrow away win +2.

pistelero (Wicklow) - Posts: 1715 - 05/02/2014 18:22:13    1541953

Link

My predictions for Roinn 2 NFL Div 4 :

Antrim 0-11 Wicklow 2-9 .. Wicklow by 4
Tipp 2-16 Waterford 0-9 .. Tipp by 13
London 1-16 Carlow 1-8 .. London by 8
Clare 1-11 Leitrim 1-11 .. Draw game

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 06/02/2014 10:54:03    1542113

Link

Roinn means Division in Irish, Babhta means Round.

Antrim 1-9 Wicklow 1-10
London 1-13 Carlow 1-10
Tipperary 1-17 Waterford 0-10
Clare 1-8 Leitrim 1-8

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - Posts: 1059 - 06/02/2014 12:17:14    1542161

Link

Some good posts on here and accurate reports on the game. But before I have my say, let it be known I am not being negative, but simply realistic. We had a good win against London on Sunday, and full credit to the lads on that. We have had good wins in the past also. What we need now, is consistency. Any Northern team will be hard bet at home, so I'm not expecting another 8pts+ win. What we need at the very least is a close game, even if we come out the wrong end of the scoreline. We need to be putting up consistent performances. Only when we get that, we can look to improve and putting together consistent wins. Looking forward to seeing you all in Antrim on Sunday. Best of luck lads.

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 06/02/2014 13:39:22    1542197

Link

Thanks Wicklowman - I will stick to the English version ( I blame my Irish teacher from all those years ago :-) )

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 06/02/2014 13:39:22    1542198

Link

Great performance last week,a very professional performance is how i would call it.Tough trip this weekend in Ahoghill(just outside ballymena).Antrim got of to a bad start last week and were caught cold in first twenty mins.I dont see Tommy McCann in their team this weekend or any of the McGourtys so we definitely have a chance if we play well and nearly knock antrim out of the equation.Going forward we looked good but i am still worried about us defensively.

Antrim v Wicklow (Antrim by 1pt)
London v Carlow (Carlow by 3pts)
Clare v Leitrim (Draw)
Tipp v Waterford (Waterford by 2pts)

Dont think waterford are as bad as last week

theriddler (Wicklow) - Posts: 193 - 07/02/2014 11:07:31    1542654

Link

Best of luck to the team and maangement on Sunday, will be no easy place to win but if they perform to the same level last Sunday, I think they can get through, it would be great to keep the momentum going and get back in Division 3. Tipperary are the stand out team in this division with their recent success at under age and having played in a higher division in recent years but if the team can pick up points away from home and especially win at home, then they will be in the shake up ... momentum at the start is vital and i think the managment have learnt this lesson from last year in Division 3 when they didn't start with their strongest team.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1198 - 07/02/2014 13:50:07    1542758

Link

Game is in Ahoghill on Sunday and not Creggan lads as Creggan are hosting the Ulster U21 club championship

antrimman91 (Antrim) - Posts: 127 - 07/02/2014 21:55:19    1543015

Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26100868

Security alert at GAA club in Ahoghill, County Antrim A piece of piping with wires attached was found on the ground close to a building in the grounds of Clooney Gaels GAA club.
There is a security alert at a GAA club in the County Antrim village of Ahoghill.
SDLP councillor Declan O'Loan said a pipe bomb detonated overnight on the grounds of Clooney Gaels GAA on the Crosskeys Road.
It caused scorch damage to the outside wall of a building on the grounds, and broke a window.
Police said the remains of a crude pipe bomb type device had been taken away for examination.
Mr O'Loan said the damage was discovered on Saturday morning by a club member.
He described it as a "shocking and very serious incident".
"This was a real bomb which damaged the building and could have caused serious injury or death to anyone handling it," he said.
'Disgraceful'
"I have no doubt that it was a deliberate attack on a GAA club from a loyalist source.
"It is disgraceful that those who work hard at this superb club which involves hundreds of young people in healthy sporting activities should be targeted in this way."
North Antrim Sinn Féin MLA Daithí McKay condemned the attack and described it as "sectarian".
"Such attacks belong in the past and no one wants to see any more of these attacks or any tit-for-tat attacks in response to this," he said.
"I would encourage people and other clubs in the area to be extremely vigilant, and anyone with information relating to the attack or any suspicious activity to bring it forward to the police."

wicklowrunner (Wicklow) - Posts: 637 - 08/02/2014 16:50:34    1543173

Link