Wexford Forum

Outside Coaches

(Oldest Posts First)

Now that there are two high profile coaches for football and hurling appointed, I wonder what or where is the problem with promoting or developing or nurturing home grown coaches to step on up into senior inter county.

Maybe it doesn't matter, the best and brightest are the ones that get the task and the GAA community in the county does not see within its own ranks capable or possible candidates for the jobs.

Whomever or wherever the money is coming from to pay these two new men, is that money that could be invested in clubs or coaching? Is it the same budget as last year?

Or are Wexford now joining the list of counties that look outside before looking within. According to newspaper reports there were many candidates or maybe there were not as many as the spin would aim us to believe.

Either way, despite hundreds of thousands of euro (and punts before that) invested in coaching courses and VTOS coaching courses, there does not appear to be a wave of home based coaches making the step up or impressing the upper echelons of the CB that they might be able to do the job.

Or is all that matters is success, whatever that might be and when the outside men move on, the locals will pick up the pieces and go again?

We know there is a cost to inter county managers and more so when they are travelling huge distances.

But is there a price to be paid further along down the road?

troy (Wexford) - Posts: 21 - 20/10/2016 12:14:27    1927834

Link

there was a distinct lack of viable options for either job in the county.for the football only kehoe,for the hurling only jj doyle,neither inspire confidence in me.
it was always going to be an outsider for the hurling,either flannery,daly,ftiz or somebody like sheedy.
for the footballers,given where we are at,i think they did well with this appointment.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 20/10/2016 13:49:49    1927883

Link

Obviously the money is coming from an outside source. My only worry is that this money would be better invested as grassroots level. We are now horsing all the money to the top of the triangle and very little seeps down to the bottom.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 20/10/2016 14:40:40    1927898

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "Obviously the money is coming from an outside source. My only worry is that this money would be better invested as grassroots level. We are now horsing all the money to the top of the triangle and very little seeps down to the bottom."
Going for outside managers despite years and years of investment in coaching.

Time will tell whether the new imports are worth the figures being bandied about (and I have no idea if any are correct)

But my question is: why are Wexford not producing a Davy or a Liam Sheedy or Paul Kinnerk etc etc ?

troy (Wexford) - Posts: 21 - 20/10/2016 17:56:15    1927962

Link

Replying To troy:  "Going for outside managers despite years and years of investment in coaching.

Time will tell whether the new imports are worth the figures being bandied about (and I have no idea if any are correct)

But my question is: why are Wexford not producing a Davy or a Liam Sheedy or Paul Kinnerk etc etc ?"
It's a bit like referrees; very few people of the right calibre would have any interest in either roles, due to the amount of abuse they would have to take while performing their functions.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 23/10/2016 12:47:25    1928431

Link

outside coaches are a parasite on the whole gaa and the whole community ethos associated with it.
lads driving half way around the country while a gaa club member goes out to sell lottery tickets to fund it.
if there was one thing in the gaa i would change,it would be this culture.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 24/10/2016 16:42:20    1928676

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "outside coaches are a parasite on the whole gaa and the whole community ethos associated with it.
lads driving half way around the country while a gaa club member goes out to sell lottery tickets to fund it.
if there was one thing in the gaa i would change,it would be this culture."
Its an irish thing, we always have the culture of the outside manager

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 25/10/2016 17:48:01    1928948

Link

Replying To troy:  "Going for outside managers despite years and years of investment in coaching.

But my question is: why are Wexford not producing a Davy or a Liam Sheedy or Paul Kinnerk etc etc ?"
Troy - I'll suggest 2 reasons.

1. If you are at the top table running an organisation, like it or not, you get judged by short term results. It's less of a risk to pick and justify somebody with a track record than taking a chance on a maybe candidate.

2. It's worth discussing KK since they are the benchmark in terms of success at hurling (and bus coaches ;) ).
Cody is what I would loosely term a 2nd generation coach. Originally the first coaching courses ever run in the GAA were by Father Tommy Maher back in the late 50's /60's/70's. Cody was a player who was coached properly from the St.Kierans stage right through to the senior KK team.
If you follow my logic, there's potentially some very good county managers who are current players or on the extended panel or with a senior club team with very good coaching and man management skills. I am not saying they will become a Cody. However it's about exposure to good coaching methods.
So the lack of a set of good potential county hurling managers is probably due to the lack of county-wide coaching structures back in the 70's/80's/90's. Yes, there are pockets of exceptions, Liam Dunne coming out of the hotbed of Oulart, John Conran from Rathnure. But these are pockets of places where players got exposed to very good coaching.
My guess is that we're due a Cody-esk/Sheedy/Davy in about 5-10 years time.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 26/10/2016 11:30:52    1929098

Link