Wexford Forum

Championship Draws

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

it is a farce that you have to pay a tenner in when only staying for 1 game.the main reason the gaa have double headers is to get a tenner in per head.
but my real gripe is against our county board fixing matches for 2 days after the limerick match,and 3 within 7 days.the county board have not covered themselves in any glory here,i am all for running the competitions off quickly but having complained about the dublin u21 match,got rid of the minor manager they have not in the slightest way practiced what they preached.
the least the senior players deserved was a week off after their games.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 05/08/2014 14:55:38    1631855

Link

perfect10 your another who will just give out without even an iota of a suggestion to solve fixture problem. if they waited a week it would be even more of a backlog. would u like outlart and st martins to be nominated to represent wexford in leinster club championships this year ? thats whats gonna happen if games are not played quickly from now on. the problem is no club games when inter county season is in full swing and the same problem will be there next year and year after unless its addressed .

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 05/08/2014 18:33:11    1632042

Link

so what we should pontificate about player welfare etc and then completely ignore our own advice is it?in fairness,the least the county men deserved was more than 2 days off.
and our county board should be running off the opening rounds of this earlier and if you look back at my history,i am absolutely certain i said this in the past that as the fortunes of our inter county teams imporves,it is going to lead to rushed through fixtures situations like we have now.
and also,why cant for example oulart,rathnure etc hurl on the same weekends (not day) as football matches?and likewise for football,at least that way the bulk of the fixtures will be run off and there will only be a handful of games requiring the sort of nonsense we currently have.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 06/08/2014 13:59:46    1632435

Link

@perfect10
"and also,why cant for example oulart,rathnure etc hurl on the same weekends (not day) as football matches?"

That wouldn't at all work. Yes Oulart & Rathnure are two examples of a very few non-footballing teams and your suggestion would be grand if they happened to be due to play each other however take last weekend's fixtures examples - Oulart v. Shelmaliers and Rathnure v. Adamstown - are Shels & Adamstown not both senior football sides? That's one idea that wouldn't work.

Wex86 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 07/08/2014 09:20:13    1632765

Link

yes it would work.the county board know at the start of the year when wexford footballers are playing.why cant they say 'ok play oulart rathnure match that weekend,and in football play fethard v clongeen on the hurling weekend,etc'.
of course it wont eliminate some fixture congestion but surely it can be done to reduce it so it only effects a number of teams,rather than a big rush to play 3 games per week?
also,it is fine for s county board official to think it is ok to play 3 games per week but fixing matches for a thursday evening at 7,do they not realise that not everybody works in the county?there are people working in dublin/cork/limierick and yet again it is a 2 fingers to our club players.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 07/08/2014 10:31:12    1632803

Link

ingenious perfect10 that idea would work a treat if there was only oulart and rathnure in senior hurling. unfortunately there are ten other teams in senior hurling who also have football teams. every senior football team has a hurling team at some grade so games have to be played on alternate weekends. also easiest thing in the world to say games should be played earlier but how? do u mean playing championship matches in february and march because under current conditions there will always be at very least a six week break of club games during inter county season. u can complain all u like about fixtures but if thats the best u can come up with its beyond ur capability to come up with solution.
only way fixtures can get played in inter county season is if both inter county management and clubs give some leeway.clubs would have to be prepared to play championship matches without there inter county players training with them during inter county season. far from ideal , but we will be in exactly the same position next year and year after listening to the usual hurler on the ditch cribbing away without the semblence of a coherant idea.

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 07/08/2014 11:18:24    1632838

Link

yeah,but not every senior hurling team has a representative on the football team?how many have?3-4?i think none of ferns,alley,cloughban,rapps,harriers,rathnure,oulart have anyone on the panel?
there is no need to completely stop the hurling championshop over 2-3 clubs having players on either panel.there might be a few fixtures needing to be played towards the end,but no need to stop them all.you are making no sense.

there were only 3 rounds of each championship left to play at the end of the inter county involvement.to expect players to play 3 matches in 8-9 days is absolute rubbish.

i would bet any money i could sit down and figure out how every match could be played based on this years results without such a panic at the end.

so peter147 since you are the fountain of all knowledge,instead of complaining about my opinion,why dont you tell us what you would do?or do you think what has gone on is fair on players,and that it is great to lose so many players to the usa for the summer?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 07/08/2014 16:51:04    1633088

Link

Lads its great reading all the solutions here, do any of ye go to county board as club reps ? Maybe some of you should put yourselves forward for fixtures committee, its a horrible, no-win job, but some of you guys seem to have all the answers.

yellabelly (Wexford) - Posts: 1062 - 07/08/2014 18:23:16    1633139

Link

Perfect 10 you truly do not have a clue. The championship could not possibly be run off any quicker than it is unless they start playing midweek games in the lead up to county games. That's a fact

theanylist (Wexford) - Posts: 151 - 07/08/2014 21:20:13    1633218

Link

perfect10 you just dont get it do you?u say theres only 3 rounds left in league stage in senior in each code. thats 10 weekkends before u get to county final in either hurling or football. and thats persuming theres no draw in knockout stages.and your looking for an extra week in your perfect world.
yellowbelly ive told u before if u can be kept from talking about kilanerin u make good points. i agree completely with u that its very difficult job with fixtures. for your information i brought detailed suggestion to county board in november 08.didnt get through, got a good hearing , martins county board rep said they would want gizzy and eoin quigley training the week of championship match. wasnt a great appetite for change from clubs to be honest

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 08/08/2014 18:30:22    1633580

Link

Peter147, what is your problem ?? where did i mention any club ?

Its a pity that your detailed suggestion, whatever it was, didnt get through, it would be nice to some fresh ideas coming from county board meetings. Like you said, club are reluctant to change.

yellabelly (Wexford) - Posts: 1062 - 09/08/2014 10:23:58    1633703

Link

peter147,i think a 5 day gap between 2 games is ok,my only point was that to expect lads to play 2 nights after hurling for wexford was an insult to the clubs.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 11/08/2014 14:02:32    1634966

Link

ah sure its a total balls alright this time of year, the annes would have to be raging , red playing intermediate all ireland last saturday, playing rathnure in senior hurling tuesday night and playing adamstown in senior football friday night. my point is the problem is no games in june and july. this nonsense is guaranteed every year unless that changes

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 11/08/2014 16:03:41    1635081

Link

Your point is no games being played in June or July. How can they possibly play games in June or July when one of the county teams, either football or hurling are out nearly every weekend. I'm not in favour of the way the likes if shels for example have too play two matches in 4 days in different codes( which is to speed up how long the championship will take by one whole week) but there's no way can games be played in June and July. At least players and managers know that the break is going to be there and can plan around it. Although nobody can plan for having to play 2 games in 4 days

theanylist (Wexford) - Posts: 151 - 11/08/2014 20:42:58    1635290

Link