Wexford Forum

Wexford hurlers 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

When is draw for qualifiers? Also when will the game be on?

tommyt (Wexford) - Posts: 77 - 16/06/2014 10:52:03    1604310

Link

It's not a big surprise that Keaney scored so much, outside of Doran and Mac, the marking and general work rate of the other 4 forward was atrocious, which allowed the Dublin backs time and space to play perfect ball into Keaney and the other Dublin forwards. Thats not something that requires skill or talent from our forwards to fix, just sheer effort and will which unfortunately, and surprisingly wasn't there from enough of them. They have a lot of talent within the squad, but unless they get every single player on the field willing to do the tough work off the ball then they're at nothing.

NaomhAine (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 16/06/2014 11:03:29    1604326

Link

Pinkie I think that a lot of the problems in the team were management caused. Any manager has discipline in his team. This discipline is to carry out the instructions of the management regarding tactics and playing positions. If players do not follow these instructions, any manager will move them or take them off.

On Saturday, several puzzling things happened, in my opinion, which I believe to be management's fault. For example, people are saying Jacob should have stayed closer to the goal. I agree. So why didn't he? If he was meant to stay in, and didn't, he should have been taken off very quickly. As a result, I believe he roamed out the field at management's request.

The same can be applied to why no defender was put marking Keaney, no defender was put marking McCrabbe, the policy of driving every ball into McDonald even when he was double marked in the second half, the way the successful puckouts on top of Doran stopped in the second half, and other things.

If it was the players fault management would have taken them straight off. They didn't, so either management failed in their tactics or management don't have control of the team and failed in not making changes.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 16/06/2014 12:25:44    1604420

Link

Lads good game of hurling there Saturday in a great atmosphere. Some of your shooting let ye down big time. But when ye have lads like McDonald about your goingt o give any team hassle.

Hope to God ye get a home draw in the qualifiers. Cracking ground for a game of hurling. Hopefully ye avoid Tipp or Clare but if ye do get them so be it youll have a right crack of them. Best of luck for the rest of the season

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 16/06/2014 13:17:57    1604464

Link

It was a big win for Dublin lads and we are delighted to have been able to go down to Wexford and come away the right side of it be under no illusion about that!

I will be putting a little bet on this Wexford team to beat whoever they meet in the qualifiers, no doubt about the win there! Going on yersterdays match, Wexford would beat Clare, I am convinced of it!

Regards,

Snufalufagus....Laochra Gael

Snufalufagus (Dublin) - Posts: 8100 - 16/06/2014 13:35:42    1604480

Link

Good to hear you enjoyed the trip lads but disappointed you enjoyed the result:)

I felt tactically Daly did a number on Dunne,McDonald had taken peter Kelly to the cleaners in the 1st 20 minutes and Daly rectified this by switching schutte on McDonald and bringing back a sweeper to play deeper,keaney went to town in the 2nd half by roaming everywhere but we did nothing,someone like lee chin should have be his designated man marker and follow him everywhere

Still think there's plenty of positives for us from Saturday and hopefully we can rattle a few cages in the qualifiers

If i was a Dublin supporter i would have been happy with Saturdays performance,ya showed great composure in the 2nd half,the game will bring Liam rushe on a tonne and Sutcliffe still has to come into the mix,your biggest concern should be your lack of goal threat as pointed out on the Sunday game last night,ya need to improve this if ya want to reach the holy grail,best of luck in the Leinster final

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 16/06/2014 18:17:42    1604670

Link

Yep, thing is was happiest about for us was the composure from Dublin!....thats pretty new to us!
Probably a bit like our footballers were for years until Gilroy came along and gave them a bit of backbone!

Regards,

Snufalufagus....Laochra Gael

Snufalufagus (Dublin) - Posts: 8100 - 16/06/2014 19:53:18    1604746

Link

Liam Dunne: "But sometimes when you're beat by the better team on the night, it's easier to take, even if it's not easy to take a defeat. But I felt that Dublin always had that little bit more. I mean they're seasoned campaigners, are more experienced, and were more clinical than we were."

I don't think that on the evidence of the other night you could say Dublin had more than Wexford. The team's tactics were poor and we hurled badly. A worrying viewpoint from Liam Dunne. Seems he's putting his hands up and saying there wasn't much that could have been done as Dublin are just a better team.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 17/06/2014 10:05:11    1604851

Link

To be fair lads I thought we were comfortable enough from around 10 minutes into the 2nd half. And when we needed to lift it again we stuck over 3 or 4 points without reply. Dont think Dunne is wrong in his call there

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 17/06/2014 13:06:53    1604999

Link

icehonesty it is impossible not to note how different your attitude to a hurling defeat is to a football one,you never credit a hurling win yet slate a loss,last week you were saying a defeat by less than 3 points would be a good result,and have spent the whole time since bashing liam dunne.what exactly is the problem here?
you mentioned months ago that the hurlers had got every dual player,apart from chin i think malone/o'regan chose football?unless i am forgetting somebody else on the hurling panel?chin chose hurling,not liam dunne for him.
you seem to have a serious vendetta against liam dunne,a man who has gave his life for wexford hurling and unlike his dublin counterpart isnt getting 200k a year.
you just wait on here for a chance to bash him,go on admit it!

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 17/06/2014 14:04:08    1605044

Link

I think it's fair to say that Dublin are currently a better team. I think we need to stop taking pot shots at Dunne. He has to be admired because he is hanging in there and has tried a few different things. He tried the trusted players for a while and now he is going down the road of introducing new blood, this will take time. We are probably a couple of years away from taking one of the big scalps in the championship and 3 or 4 years away from being competitive with them consistently. We still need 3 or 4 young very good players to be added to the team over that period.
Let's face it the past couple of years we at least have been able to get close to a couple of the big team but consistency is the problem.
I would rather we get beat by the like of Clare, KK, Cork, Tip, Galway and Dublin by 3 or 4 point consistently for a period than beat one of them by a couple of points and then get hammered by 9 or 10 in the next game by one of them.
His aim for next year should be to get promoted to the top flight. That should be his priority. This year we would be happy to make QF but that's going to be dependent on who we get drawn against. Gotta be realistic lads!! Or we will crush this young team with unrealistic expectations.

Nick (Wexford) - Posts: 1098 - 17/06/2014 14:21:10    1605057

Link

We have to now as some people would say circle the wagons. Dunne and co were slow on the line and it quiet possibility cost us the game but that has always been labelled as his weakness, the ability to spot a weakness in the opposition and the tactical side of the game. He has brought us up by our bootlaces over the last three years and the players work extremely hard for him, he deserves a lot of credit. I do just feel going forward that we will have to get a good man in with Dunne who known the tactical side of things. As for the dubs supporters saying that they were in second gear or just up it when they wanted too pure s**t. No team can just turn it on and off like a tap especially in championship match. I counted 4 to 5 good saves that their goalman made on Saturday evening but there was no mention off that. Dublin are better then us by 4 or 5 points at the moment I accept that and if you look back at any of my posts over the last week or so I have said that we were been to hype up and lads needed to be cautious, but all talk about second gear and stuff is silly. People really need to accept how low we were. Actually think about it for a minute apart from the odd game here and There we have been fairly poor in the championship for the last 10 years we shifted some heavy beatings and won very little games against any of the top 8 teams. As for the qualifiers I hope we get Waterford, it would be a great tussle and not far to travel if we do have to play away. Clare and Tipp for me would be a disaster as I feel we will get beat and a year that started brightly will have finished with an early exit.

hunting (Wexford) - Posts: 618 - 17/06/2014 15:08:57    1605099

Link

Alright, calm down lads. In my opinion, I thought Dublin would be miles better than Wexford the other night. They weren't. Wexford were every bit as good as them. I think that the game was lost by the lack of decisions made by management the other night. Several lads on here agreed with me.

I thought the comments saying Dublin were a better team were incorrect. The other night they were only better because moves weren't made and tactics weren't changed.

In terms of training the team and bringing them up, he has done an excellent job, especially the way he let go loads of guys who had been there for years and had consistently underperformed.

Perfect10 I have had more respect for the footballers in the past, it is true, vecause in my opinion they give everything they have, against the backdrop of a county which wants them to do worse than the hurlers. The hurlers, in my opinion, in years past had an attitude and didn't put in the work. Here's an article where Dunne himself outlines the state they were in two years ago http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/dunne-and-wexford-up-from-being-down-1.1815565
For example they had a bodyfat percentage of 23%- that's down to guys not putting in the work and being dedicated to it!!!

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 17/06/2014 16:04:03    1605150

Link

Agree with the above, people slating Dunne dont realise that this job was about as appealing as a holiday in North Korea when he took it and there was absolutely NOBODY wanting it. Of course he has made mistakes, handled certain situations badly, etc but overall he is still the right man for the job.
For me, I think a lot of our problems in the forwards on Saturday were caused by constant chopping and changing in the forwards. Of course he was going to try Conor Mc on his own and while eventually it stopped working he pushed more in, but for me he needs to trust 1 of the full back line further out the field if a team plays a 2 man full forward line, but having said that Rossiter rescued a few potentially dodgy situations on Saturday. It's very easy to look back at a video and see the mistakes you made, and no matter what he did if he didnt win the game there was always going to be "he should have done this".
If even one of our 4-5 goal chances had went in (and on another day they would) this game could have been differently.
Dunne rightly said that Dublin were a bit better than us, and that is the truth. You can criticise him all you want, but one thing you have to say is he is refreshingly honest and blunt and calls a spade a spade.
No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. We are a great county for it!

Regarding the qualifiers, why should we fear Tipp or Clare? We beat a full strength Tipp in a practice match, ran Clare close last year. I am sick and tired of Wexford people wanting the easy draw. We complained bitterly about not playing the big boys in the league, why shouldnt we want them? Personally, I would love a rattle at Tipp/Clare/Waterford in the park, I think we could beat any of them if we improve our shooting, marking and use of the ball.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 17/06/2014 16:08:30    1605161

Link

Ice I get where you're coming from with the footballers. If.I had ti chose if we could only have one I'd always pick hurling and I think I'm in the majority here. But having said that if it's purple and gold I'll lose my voice in.the stand regardless.of code. A few years back disrespect of the hurlers may have been justified but I think we have a far better situation now because of Dunne. I've always admired him and since he was at the development squads he's brought most if his current panal along since they were children. That's not an accident. The man has a long term goal and I trust him.

As for wanting the easy draw I'd like to get as many games as possible. Laois or Waterford would help to restore a lot of confidence before facing one.of the real big boys. Waterford are the 1 team ranked above us that I'm sure we can beat. Not just have a crack at but beat. Clare are the only team I'd like to avoid in this round

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 18/06/2014 10:12:29    1605391

Link

Doylerwex, I would be most afraid of Laois of all of those 4 teams. The expectation would be that we would beat them, I am sure they would be wanting us in the draw. I want any of the other 3, think we could beat Waterford, Tipp and Clare didnt look any great shakes this summer thus far. Would be tough to beat either I admit, but if a home draw, not impossible.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 18/06/2014 14:16:20    1605561

Link

I agree pinkie. No reason to fear anybody. Laois would be the typical bananna skin but I hope we've learned from carlow last year

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 18/06/2014 18:17:28    1605702

Link

I think Laois are alot better than the Carlow team we beat last year but i think we've improved from last year aswel,Dublin were terrible last year when they drew but this they played well and struggled to win.i think if Laois get a home draw they'll be a match for anyone.id like us to draw Waterford,i reckon there ranked 8th in the country and were ranked 9th,a 50/50 game weather its in Wexford park or if we have to make the short journey to Walsh park,would attract a good crowd no matter what the venue is

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 18/06/2014 19:03:41    1605728

Link

Heard an interview with Matt O'Hanlon and he wants a top team, that is good to hear that we fear nobody and are wanting to draw one of them!

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 20/06/2014 16:34:04    1606559

Link

It's a fix. Bloody knew we'd get them again

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 23/06/2014 09:20:47    1607429

Link