Wexford Forum

Worst Memories As A Supporter

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To freshoh:  "Refs have a lot to do with this also. Watched wex v cork 2003 yesterday n hardly a free in it despite it being a proper physical contest. In todays game the whistle would go none stop"
Well the worst of all from a Wexford viewpoint was the time in '01, when my countyman Pat O'Connor blew full time with Paul Codd having the ball in his hand, all alone about sixty yards out. Paul was one of the best, if not the best, striker of points from play in the country at the time and I have no doubt if he was left take the shot Wexford were in the All Ireland Final.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 23/04/2020 19:39:16    2276599

Link

Here's another forgotten gripe ...
First year of the back door was 1997. If there was no back door that year, Wexford would have been playing Antrim in the semifinal.
Over the years, one of the consistent failings has been Wexford's performance in the next game post beating Kilkenny. That 97 leinster was a big day for Wexford beating Kilkenny in a leinster final.

It is hard to perform every day you go out and yes Tipperary deservedly won in that semi final in 97 but I always wondered what would happened if Wexford got to the final against Clare.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 24/04/2020 14:01:27    2276637

Link

Replying To Punter72007:  "Very interesting point about John O'Connor in that game. Morrissey was a class player.

I heard this said to me (and you check out the youtube video), that the winning by Cork in 76 All-Ireland was when Christy Ring (Cork Manager) moved Jimmy Barry Murphy to centre forward when he scored four points in the last 10 minutes (Wexford lost by four points). Jimmy Barry had been cleaned out that day up until the switch, by the Wexford wing back (possibly Ned buggy or Liam Bennett?). In hindsight, whoever was marking him should have probably followed him. Sure isn't hindsight great."
Going a bit off topic but its often talked about shefflin in his career that he often go on an inexperienced back in the opposition defence, I could never understand how opponents of kilkenny could let this happen, surely pre game you'd have a defender earmarked to stick to him like a leech and not like kilkenny dicate the terms.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 27/04/2020 01:08:36    2276811

Link

Replying To Punter72007:  "Here's another forgotten gripe ...
First year of the back door was 1997. If there was no back door that year, Wexford would have been playing Antrim in the semifinal.
Over the years, one of the consistent failings has been Wexford's performance in the next game post beating Kilkenny. That 97 leinster was a big day for Wexford beating Kilkenny in a leinster final.

It is hard to perform every day you go out and yes Tipperary deservedly won in that semi final in 97 but I always wondered what would happened if Wexford got to the final against Clare."
Oh, I remember that '97 thing well. I had the misfortune to be working in Tipperary at the time.

Thought it was ironic in a way, because in the few years leading up to the introduction of the back door, the thought was that Wexford could be one of the main beneficiaries of it. The thinking was that maybe we'd finally get to an All-Ireland by having a crack at a Munster team in a semi-final, instead of being out after losing to Kilkenny or Offaly in a Leinster Final.

Then they go and bring it in, and Wexford become the first real victim of it instead.

By the way, it would have been Down in the All-Ireland semi-final, not Antrim, because Down won the Ulster Championship that year. Tipp beat them in a quarter-final in Clones, of all places. And there's no way I'd have remembered that but for how I was working in Tipp, and I remember them saying "we're coming for you next....."

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 27/04/2020 14:19:05    2276839

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Oh, I remember that '97 thing well. I had the misfortune to be working in Tipperary at the time.

Thought it was ironic in a way, because in the few years leading up to the introduction of the back door, the thought was that Wexford could be one of the main beneficiaries of it. The thinking was that maybe we'd finally get to an All-Ireland by having a crack at a Munster team in a semi-final, instead of being out after losing to Kilkenny or Offaly in a Leinster Final.

Then they go and bring it in, and Wexford become the first real victim of it instead.

By the way, it would have been Down in the All-Ireland semi-final, not Antrim, because Down won the Ulster Championship that year. Tipp beat them in a quarter-final in Clones, of all places. And there's no way I'd have remembered that but for how I was working in Tipp, and I remember them saying "we're coming for you next.....""
Completely forgot it was Down ...

As you outlined, the back door was brought in to give the likes of Wexford a better chance ... so here is more irony ... the most successful back door team over the first twenty years? Kilkenny

These stats are from pundit arena ... https://punditarena.com/gaa/thepateam/back-door-hurling-20-years/

Team : P = Matches Played - W = Wins - D = Draws - L = Losses - % = Success Rate

Kilkenny: P 10 - W 9 - D 0 - L 1 - 90%

Offaly : P 10 - W 6 - D 1 - L 3 - 65%

Clare : P 14 - W 7 - D 1 - L 6 - 53.6%

Tipperary : P 16 - W 7 - D 1 - L 8 - 46.9%

Wexford : P 8 - W 2 - D 2 - L 4 - 37.5%

Cork: P 9 - W 3 - D 0 - L 6 - 33%

Galway: P 9 - W 3 - D 0 - L 6 - 33%

Limerick: P 8 - W 2 - D 0 - L 6 - 25%

Dublin: P 1 - W 0 - D 0 - L 1 - 0%

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 27/04/2020 17:32:25    2276859

Link