Wexford Forum

Your Best Wexford 15 Hurling Team Of Your Lifetime

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Tom Byrne of Clonee played with Wexford for a while around the mid to late 80s, but am not sure if he ever played in the championship. Also, he transferred to Ferns sometime around then too, so might actually have been a Ferns player at the time he was lining out for Wexford.

Don't think Clonee ever had anybody else even anywhere near a county senior team.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 07/05/2020 10:15:49    2277688

Link

where is clonee actually located?is it near ferns?what age groups play for them

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 07/05/2020 20:14:26    2277725

Link

Rod & Dave Guiney Rosslare
Eddie Moloney Our Lady's Island

luvgaa (Wexford) - Posts: 154 - 07/05/2020 20:23:28    2277727

Link

The Guineys never played senior championship hurling for Wexford while still with Rosslare. They were already with Rathnure before playing inter-county. Same proviso I had as regards Tom Byrne of Clonee, and it's what I'm taking the orginal "not counting transfers" statement to mean.

As for Clonee...based around the small village of Ballyduff (a church, a school with about 40 pupils, and a small shop run by somebody who must be about 100 years old). Actually in the parish of Ferns, but closer and more associated with Camolin - take the road beside McDonald's Parkside Lounge in Camolin and follow it for about two miles, and you'll be in Ballyduff.

A fiercely independent crew with all sorts of animosity among diehards there to the Ferns club in particular, for all sorts of historical reasons that I wouldn't claim to understand myself. Club is now all but extinct, though. Hasn't fielded at adult level at all for a few years now, after they struggled for a long time to field even Junior B teams with ever-changing collections of ringers and outsiders. They tried to start an underage section but that was an even taller order in such a small catchment area. They did provide a few players to Ferns at under-13 or under-15 last year though, and they played under an amalgamated name.

Still going strong in Ladies Football, though. A much larger catchment area there as I don't think there are any other Ladies Football clubs in the area. Think a lot of women who play camogie for Ferns and Askamore and the likes play football for Clonee.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 07/05/2020 21:25:35    2277734

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "The Guineys never played senior championship hurling for Wexford while still with Rosslare. They were already with Rathnure before playing inter-county. Same proviso I had as regards Tom Byrne of Clonee, and it's what I'm taking the orginal "not counting transfers" statement to mean.

As for Clonee...based around the small village of Ballyduff (a church, a school with about 40 pupils, and a small shop run by somebody who must be about 100 years old). Actually in the parish of Ferns, but closer and more associated with Camolin - take the road beside McDonald's Parkside Lounge in Camolin and follow it for about two miles, and you'll be in Ballyduff.

A fiercely independent crew with all sorts of animosity among diehards there to the Ferns club in particular, for all sorts of historical reasons that I wouldn't claim to understand myself. Club is now all but extinct, though. Hasn't fielded at adult level at all for a few years now, after they struggled for a long time to field even Junior B teams with ever-changing collections of ringers and outsiders. They tried to start an underage section but that was an even taller order in such a small catchment area. They did provide a few players to Ferns at under-13 or under-15 last year though, and they played under an amalgamated name.

Still going strong in Ladies Football, though. A much larger catchment area there as I don't think there are any other Ladies Football clubs in the area. Think a lot of women who play camogie for Ferns and Askamore and the likes play football for Clonee."
I'm not 100% sure about the guineys. They both played junior for Wexford in 1992 when with rosslare and moved to rathnure in 1994. Rod played half forward in 1993 for Wexford in Leinster championship but I'm not sure if transfer was made before this or after this

camánouttathat (Wexford) - Posts: 26 - 08/05/2020 13:47:55    2277762

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "I thought Jim Morrissey played with Camross Taghmon."
He did.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1915 - 09/05/2020 10:53:54    2277802

Link

Replying To camánouttathat:  "I'm not 100% sure about the guineys. They both played junior for Wexford in 1992 when with rosslare and moved to rathnure in 1994. Rod played half forward in 1993 for Wexford in Leinster championship but I'm not sure if transfer was made before this or after this"
Have to admit I don't remember Rod playing as far back as '93. He'd still have been with Rosslare at the time all right.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 11/05/2020 14:06:39    2277946

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Have to admit I don't remember Rod playing as far back as '93. He'd still have been with Rosslare at the time all right."
my neighbour is a good man for programs from matches,i will see if he has 93 but i would be fairly sure now that i think about it that the guineys were on that panel and their club was rosslare.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 14/05/2020 16:31:59    2278143

Link

Dave Guiney played in the league final against Cork in 1993. Jack was born on one of the days of the replays and Dave was in a car crash going to the game. He didnt play again for Wexford for ten years after that league final series

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 563 - 14/05/2020 17:16:17    2278156

Link

Might even have programmes myself from '93 in a couple of boxes I have that have hundreds if not thousands of them just thrown in together in no particular order. Have been meaning for a long time to sort them out sometime. Just have to get through all the other work that keeps getting found around the house and garden first!

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 15/05/2020 13:11:09    2278231

Link