Wexford Forum

Outside Managers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TeeTotalFootball:  "In fairness with the new bridge in New Ross, the distance from Derek McGrath to Wexford town isn't big.

Great coup from the Harriers, a lot of fine young hurlers coming through there in the next few years and with fear of maybe some lads dropping off the scene as which happens far too much from 17-21yrs of age, Derek McGrath will only heighten the interest of hurling within the club. Which further down the line will only strengthen the Wexford hurling team."
Derek McGrath is a major find for the Harriers and will no doubt bring them on in leaps and bounds. A strong wexford town team will I am sure, as you say tee total bring about a big interest amongst the players and supporters in the capital town. Maybe a county title isn't as far away as most of us would imagine for the Harriers.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 524 - 10/01/2020 17:04:56    2258770

Link

Replying To james2011:  "4 if you count Jason Ryan with Glynn"
its odd, jason is over the hurlers in glynn has nothing to do with the footballers

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2013 - 10/01/2020 19:04:14    2258809

Link

McGrath on the face of it is certainly a statement of intent from the harriers, interesting to see if it's only for a year or a 2 or 3 year project. Can't see them making a big impression this year , I'm sure their hoping to hold onto their successful minors from the last couple of years and filter them through at adult level but that will be a transition and I think 2020 is probably too early, if they successfully bring players through I can see improving alot in the next 3 years or so. As mentioned hurling been strong in town can only be good for the county as a whole.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 10/01/2020 20:25:56    2258830

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "its odd, jason is over the hurlers in glynn has nothing to do with the footballers"
Its been said that jason will do some training sessions with the footballers(Glynn).

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 524 - 10/01/2020 20:49:11    2258837

Link

Great ambition shown by the faythe harriers to go and appoint Derek McGrath as their senior manager for 2020, shows great ambition for a club with huge potential going forward.
On the outside manager front, heard from a good source that Jason Sherlock is now heavily involved with the crossabeg ballymurm hurlers and footballers for the coming season after heavy investment from a few local business men

Pikeman1798 (Wexford) - Posts: 1 - 10/01/2020 21:32:14    2258845

Link

Replying To Pikeman1798:  "Great ambition shown by the faythe harriers to go and appoint Derek McGrath as their senior manager for 2020, shows great ambition for a club with huge potential going forward.
On the outside manager front, heard from a good source that Jason Sherlock is now heavily involved with the crossabeg ballymurm hurlers and footballers for the coming season after heavy investment from a few local business men"
McGrath isn't their manager, typical media spin... More like an advisor I'd say judging by the Harriers statement. All very cloak and dagger stuff.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1232 - 10/01/2020 23:59:44    2258864

Link

The Harriers statement on Facebook :

"The Club is delighted to announce that Tony 'Sack' Walsh will manage our senior hurling team for the coming year 2020. We want to wish Tony and his management team the very best of luck for the year ahead. They will be supported by Derek McGrath who will be providing back up support and advice on certain occasions throughout the year. Derek's involvement is limited throughout the year as we understand his full commitment lies with the Laois minors."

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 13/01/2020 10:48:06    2259330

Link

ya i thought sack might not be impressed with that reporting!

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 14/01/2020 16:53:23    2259748

Link

Replying To 890202:  "McGrath isn't their manager, typical media spin... More like an advisor I'd say judging by the Harriers statement. All very cloak and dagger stuff."
they MIGHT see him once a month id say, its spin to try sell tickets

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2013 - 14/01/2020 17:02:50    2259752

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "The Harriers statement on Facebook :

"The Club is delighted to announce that Tony 'Sack' Walsh will manage our senior hurling team for the coming year 2020. We want to wish Tony and his management team the very best of luck for the year ahead. They will be supported by Derek McGrath who will be providing back up support and advice on certain occasions throughout the year. Derek's involvement is limited throughout the year as we understand his full commitment lies with the Laois minors.""
Laois minors will be most likely finished in Mid June and I would suspect that ends the commitment to them for another year. While I guess he will be missing for the April window bar perhaps watching the games there will be plenty of his time available for the rest of the championship. However it remains to be seen to what extent that would be - I would say neither will he be cheap. I hope it goes well as Hurling and Football needs a boost in the town.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1101 - 15/01/2020 06:48:51    2259876

Link

Replying To Pikeman1798:  "Great ambition shown by the faythe harriers to go and appoint Derek McGrath as their senior manager for 2020, shows great ambition for a club with huge potential going forward.
On the outside manager front, heard from a good source that Jason Sherlock is now heavily involved with the crossabeg ballymurm hurlers and footballers for the coming season after heavy investment from a few local business men"
Harriers have been fighting relegation for the last number of years. What would you think is their 'ambition' for 2020? .. Compete for a Championship or avoid relegation?
Both themselves and Glynn have had a lot of underage success over the past 10 years and little or nothing to show from it at an Adult level

MyOhMi (Wexford) - Posts: 79 - 15/01/2020 11:49:06    2259948

Link

What underage success have Glynn had in the last 10 years. I cant remember them winning underage Premier Titles in either hurling or football in recent years.

Paull (Wexford) - Posts: 111 - 15/01/2020 22:25:28    2260102

Link

Replying To MyOhMi:  "Harriers have been fighting relegation for the last number of years. What would you think is their 'ambition' for 2020? .. Compete for a Championship or avoid relegation?
Both themselves and Glynn have had a lot of underage success over the past 10 years and little or nothing to show from it at an Adult level"
I agree 100%. Seems to me that the Harriers and Glynn Barntown have problems holding on to players once they reach adult. The same could be said for a lot of clubs around the country. No prizes for knowing the reasons why. The 18 to 23 age group are nearly all in 3rd level college. Travelling becomes difficult and costly. No real solution to this, its not going to go away.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 524 - 16/01/2020 09:09:59    2260132

Link

Replying To Paull:  "What underage success have Glynn had in the last 10 years. I cant remember them winning underage Premier Titles in either hurling or football in recent years."
Maybe not winning but definitely competing and competing strongly. My point been what happens these players?. I think this is a bigger issue in the GAA than our current problem of elite players (in the 18-23 age group) getting too many games. There is never any mention of the players that leave the game. Yes 3rd level is a factor .. but maybe clubs aren't managing it properly. The championship is structured now that you have two games in April and then effectively can go on a J1 without missing any championship action.

MyOhMi (Wexford) - Posts: 79 - 16/01/2020 10:00:02    2260141

Link

Replying To MyOhMi:  "Maybe not winning but definitely competing and competing strongly. My point been what happens these players?. I think this is a bigger issue in the GAA than our current problem of elite players (in the 18-23 age group) getting too many games. There is never any mention of the players that leave the game. Yes 3rd level is a factor .. but maybe clubs aren't managing it properly. The championship is structured now that you have two games in April and then effectively can go on a J1 without missing any championship action."
Most players would have four games in February in Wexford unless your club doesn't play hurling or football.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 16/01/2020 10:33:00    2260148

Link