Wexford Forum

Wexford County Convention

(Oldest Posts First)

Anyone attend the convention last night - its disappointing that there is no media coverage now. It was only three years ago where the entire thing was tweeted.

MyOhMi (Wexford) - Posts: 79 - 10/12/2019 09:45:40    2254059

Link

I was there. Waste of time, one individual dominating and shutting down debate.

Even the summary of the year speech was used to have a go at the local journalists.

If it doesn't concern money, or the county teams then no interest will be shown. I'm told by regular attenders at county board meetings that any sign of disagreement from the floor is often met with a truculent response.

Having said that, our financial position is good, thanks to years of stabilization from about 2012.

Gate receipts from the local championships are down by about €80,000 which is a big concern. It's quite obvious that attendances at local games are dwindling. €20,000 of this can be explained by the lack of a senior final replay in 2019, and the 2019 figures didn't include the intermediate football final gate receipts, but even allowing for both of these, gate receipt at local level are still way down.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 10/12/2019 12:34:04    2254083

Link

The same local journalists without whom there would be no coverage of the games at all?

Its a sad state of affairs that the biggest sporting body in our county has such disdain towards the media. Its as if they are an easy target and used as a deflection tactic from some of the wider issues, like the fall in attendances for example.

The parallels between our business man leader and a certain famous blonde one across the Atlantic is striking.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 676 - 10/12/2019 13:08:26    2254088

Link

I was there too, and have much the same feeling about it. 'Truculent' is a good word to use, as anything that doesn't meet with approval is quickly closed down. Examples last night were the Monageer/Boolavogue motions to do with Croke Park and the Super 8s. He didn't even allow time for proper votes - it was basically 'All in favour? Lost' in the same breath, instead of giving time for people to actually vote. Seems nobody felt strongly enough about it to pull him up on it, and maybe the motions would have been lost anyway, but would have been interesting to get a proper measure of views on them in terms of for and against.

Would also be a bit concerned about drop in gate receipts. Had heard it explained away before as being due to a rise in season ticket sales, but season tickets were up just €25k, while gates were down €80k.

And anybody else notice how as the Treasurer rushed through the expenditure figures, he said 'team expenses, slight increase…..administration, slight increase'?

Team expenses were up by €78k (from €850k to €928k - am rounding off to the nearest thousand). Administration was up by €116k (from €352k to €468k). There's almost €200,000 of expenditure put down as 'slight increase'. We must really be rolling in it if that much money is just slight!

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 10/12/2019 13:16:36    2254089

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "I was there. Waste of time, one individual dominating and shutting down debate.

Even the summary of the year speech was used to have a go at the local journalists.

If it doesn't concern money, or the county teams then no interest will be shown. I'm told by regular attenders at county board meetings that any sign of disagreement from the floor is often met with a truculent response.

Having said that, our financial position is good, thanks to years of stabilization from about 2012.

Gate receipts from the local championships are down by about €80,000 which is a big concern. It's quite obvious that attendances at local games are dwindling. €20,000 of this can be explained by the lack of a senior final replay in 2019, and the 2019 figures didn't include the intermediate football final gate receipts, but even allowing for both of these, gate receipt at local level are still way down."
Maybe I'm wrong but I think if a county team go far in the championship then club games can be effected. Even supporters can be mentally drained after an intense championship and there's the obvious financial strain on people too.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 10/12/2019 13:19:15    2254091

Link

Separate post about the local journalist/paper issue.

Really do think that the Chairman is far too fixated on what one man writes. Overall, People Newspapers in general continues to put vast resources and give a great amount of coverage to GAA at all levels. The Chairman should remember that, and never take it for granted. Said before how I used to be in a job where I'd regularly see local papers from other parts of the country, and few if any of them had as much GAA coverage as the People provides in Wexford, particularly at underage level.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 10/12/2019 13:23:08    2254092

Link

Replying To beano:  "The same local journalists without whom there would be no coverage of the games at all?

Its a sad state of affairs that the biggest sporting body in our county has such disdain towards the media. Its as if they are an easy target and used as a deflection tactic from some of the wider issues, like the fall in attendances for example.

The parallels between our business man leader and a certain famous blonde one across the Atlantic is striking."
As regards 'deflection tactic'…it can also be the case that the journalist in question sometimes raises a valid point, but it's brushed over simply because he's one of those who raised it.

An example - I was my club's County Board rep last year. After the round-robin championship games in Wexford Park, when some people wondered why there were no children's tickets (€5 tickets) made available for the stand there, I kept an eye on the tickets.ie website for a few weeks. I discovered that outside of the Hogan Stand for the Leinster Finals, Wexford Park was the only ground used for any championship match (hurling or football) in any province or any of the back-door qualifiers where you couldn't buy a children's ticket for the main stand.

Decided I'd raise this at the next County Board meeting, pointing out that I realised it's not Wexford who sets the prices for Leinster Championship games in Wexford Park, and asking that the Leinster Council Rep might raise it at provincial level, for the sake of supporters within Wexford.

By sheer coincidence, that journalist raised the very same point in his column about two weeks before the meeting.

So, when the meeting came along and I raised the point, all I got in reply was along the lines of "horse sh*t….local paper….non-story", and he refused to deal with it.

Didn't care that it's an issue that affects GAA families in Wexford. Just blinded by the fact that a certain somebody had raised it as well. Blinkered almost beyond belief.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 10/12/2019 17:04:06    2254146

Link