Wexford Forum

New York Exhibition Tournament

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I am not sure why everyone is so negative on this, its not as if its costing them anything or your being forced to watch it. The players seem to enjoy it and there have been good crowds turn up for it so whats the big fuss about. The games are played on modified pitches which means they need modified rules as putting the ball over the bar from opposing 20m line doesn't really do much to advertise the game. The GAA wants to bring at least the sport to big city centers where it could get showcased but surprisingly, none of those were built with GAA pitches in mind! Don't forget there is also a knock on effect to the local GAA organizations from these tours and the publicity they provide within a wider public and local politicians/officials.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1101 - 13/11/2019 06:56:05    2249354

Link

Replying To zinny:  "I am not sure why everyone is so negative on this, its not as if its costing them anything or your being forced to watch it. The players seem to enjoy it and there have been good crowds turn up for it so whats the big fuss about. The games are played on modified pitches which means they need modified rules as putting the ball over the bar from opposing 20m line doesn't really do much to advertise the game. The GAA wants to bring at least the sport to big city centers where it could get showcased but surprisingly, none of those were built with GAA pitches in mind! Don't forget there is also a knock on effect to the local GAA organizations from these tours and the publicity they provide within a wider public and local politicians/officials."
The GPA wants to make money from it nothing else. Bleeding the local Wexford lads in New York dry for every penny they have. There is a full size GAA pitch in Gaelic Park if it was about GAA it would be on there this is about raising money thats it.
If the GPA put as much money into coaching and games development they would earn some credit, all they are interested in is making the split between club and county even wider.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 13/11/2019 09:14:35    2249369

Link

i agree with you zinny,if you dont want to tune in dont.
i was talking to a squad member who couldnt wait to get a free trip to new york.
it leads in to the players well deserved holiday,do people not like seeing people,and players,enjoy themselves?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 13/11/2019 12:05:55    2249405

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i agree with you zinny,if you dont want to tune in dont.
i was talking to a squad member who couldnt wait to get a free trip to new york.
it leads in to the players well deserved holiday,do people not like seeing people,and players,enjoy themselves?"
I just think some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something, real Irish mentality...

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 13/11/2019 12:12:35    2249407

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i agree with you zinny,if you dont want to tune in dont.
it leads in to the players well deserved holiday,do people not like seeing people,and players,enjoy themselves?"
I hope they all have a fantastic time, its well deserved... these hurlers have given us some great days out over the years. I've no real interest in the 11s game but i will watch it if on tv... obviously result doesn't matter and its a fundraising exercise and a free holiday before the real holiday for the players.

logger (Wexford) - Posts: 255 - 13/11/2019 12:26:40    2249413

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "The GPA wants to make money from it nothing else. Bleeding the local Wexford lads in New York dry for every penny they have. There is a full size GAA pitch in Gaelic Park if it was about GAA it would be on there this is about raising money thats it.
If the GPA put as much money into coaching and games development they would earn some credit, all they are interested in is making the split between club and county even wider."
You are having a laugh right? Gaelic Park has a capacity of 2,000 and Citi Field where the Mets play just over 40K, now they may not get 40K but they will get a lot more than 2K. In addition playing the game in the Mets home ground just adds to the whole event and makes it special. I get the impression that you have never been involved in the GAA overseas?

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1101 - 13/11/2019 12:27:39    2249414

Link

Personally, am not negative about the trip itself. I see its worth from a holiday/bonding/fundraising point of view. I'm just sceptical about the form of hurling being played. Don't think this Super 11s lark has a future in its own right, so don't see the point in persisting with it now.

Does anybody remember how roughly 30 years ago, there was a few years when the All-Stars trips (both hurling and football) were to the Skydome in Toronto? They played hurling and football exhibition matches there. That's a baseball stadium too, so presumably roughly the same size as Citi Field, and presumably some sort of scaled-down version of the games too because of dimensions are smaller than a standard GAA pitch. But I'm sure it wasn't this Super 11s lark. Anybody remember what they actually did?

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 13/11/2019 12:33:35    2249417

Link

Did a bit of looking during lunchtime and it turns out those Skydome games were played on St. Patrick's Day in 1990 and '91. There's a bit of a clip of the 1990 hurling (Tipperary v All Stars) on Youtube, but it's mostly just Ger Canning explaining hurling to some Canadian TV guy before the match actually started - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2AtMW835w

Dublin played Tyrone in a football match afterwards. Clip (with more action involved) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cNoUx9iWjQ

Can see enough to see that proper goals were used, and that goals and points both counted. Pitch might still have been a little smaller than a standard GAA pitch but it seems bigger than what they use in Super 11s and just goes to show that you can play something closer to real hurling in a baseball stadium than what the Super 11 game is.

Apparently the 1990 hurling match was marketed in advance with taglines like "Think ice hockey is manly? Come and get a load of this!", and the attendance was approx. 30,000. Games were then discontinued after a "disappointing" attendance of "only" about 18,000 the following year. Don't know how many they're expecting for the Super 11 games, but I daresay 18,000 would be judged a big success.

Anyway, overall I think it shows how you can still play something closer to real hurling in a baseball stadium, and that crowds of curious locals will come see it if it's marketed properly. It'd be far better than some Super 11s yoke that's never played anywhere else.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 13/11/2019 14:03:10    2249445

Link

Replying To zinny:  "You are having a laugh right? Gaelic Park has a capacity of 2,000 and Citi Field where the Mets play just over 40K, now they may not get 40K but they will get a lot more than 2K. In addition playing the game in the Mets home ground just adds to the whole event and makes it special. I get the impression that you have never been involved in the GAA overseas?"
You get the wrong impression, Ive played overseas for two different clubs.

Playing a mixture of soccer/hurling/lacrosse on a baseball ground adds to the event and makes it special.

The only thing special about it is the $$$$$$$ that will be generated.

I will say once again its great for players free holiday and well deserved, however why are the Leitrim hurlers not going, the Westmeath hurlers not going, the Sligo hurlers not going?

Its a junket and the good Wexford people living in New York will be hit in the pocket hard for tickets, framed photos, dvds, donations to Wexford GAA.

The overseas clubs and communities are being robbed of their own money before their eyes. New York clubs have always hit out at the teams coming over and milking their club people dry of money.

Fund raise in your own garden not someone elses.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 13/11/2019 14:25:50    2249453

Link

In fairness, I don't think anybody in New York who's originally from Wexford or any of the other competing counties is going to be bled try or be forced into handing over money they don't want to part with and/or can't afford.

North America can be a good source of funding for those who can tap into it. Like how Mayo got all that money for a good few years from that fella who's not happy with them now.

Certain groups in Northern Ireland knew all about fundraising in North America too……

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 13/11/2019 14:56:11    2249467

Link

By this time next week the whole thing would probably be forgotten about...

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 13/11/2019 15:33:41    2249477

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "By this time next week the whole thing would probably be forgotten about..."
What are we even talking about here I've forgotten already?

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 13/11/2019 16:05:17    2249482

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "What are we even talking about here I've forgotten already?"
Is it on tv

hunting (Wexford) - Posts: 621 - 16/11/2019 09:24:56    2249828

Link