Wexford Forum

Allstars 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Oldtourman:  "How is it customary to give 7 AS to the champions. Limerick got four in '73 and six last year and I'd be the first to say at least of those was a lucky 'award'. Cork got four on the football team in 2010 and they most certainly did not deserve one of them. Lads, this caper has long been a joke and not worth talking about.."
Limerick may "only" have got 6 All Stars last year, but in the few previous years:

2017 - Champions Galway - 7 All Stars
2016 - Champions Tipperary - 7 All Stars
2015 - Champions Kilkenny - 7 All Stars
2014 - Champions Tipperary - 7 All Stars

7 All Stars for the All-Ireland champions in recent years seems "customary" to me all right. And for good measure, Clare in 2013 got 8 awards, so if you consider that in conjunction with Limerick's 6 last year, it means an average of 7 awards per All-Ireland winner over an even longer period of time.

If you're going to go all the way back to '73 to try argue otherwise, then it's worth noting that the All Stars operated very differently back then, with far less of an emphasis on the latter stages of the championships.

And by the way, we're talking hurling All Stars here, so Cork's football selection in 2010 isn't really relevant either.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 04/11/2019 16:30:33    2247700

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Limerick may "only" have got 6 All Stars last year, but in the few previous years:

2017 - Champions Galway - 7 All Stars
2016 - Champions Tipperary - 7 All Stars
2015 - Champions Kilkenny - 7 All Stars
2014 - Champions Tipperary - 7 All Stars

7 All Stars for the All-Ireland champions in recent years seems "customary" to me all right. And for good measure, Clare in 2013 got 8 awards, so if you consider that in conjunction with Limerick's 6 last year, it means an average of 7 awards per All-Ireland winner over an even longer period of time.

If you're going to go all the way back to '73 to try argue otherwise, then it's worth noting that the All Stars operated very differently back then, with far less of an emphasis on the latter stages of the championships.

And by the way, we're talking hurling All Stars here, so Cork's football selection in 2010 isn't really relevant either."
Spare us the 'only' in reference to how many All Stars Limerick got- I never used the word 'only in relation to how many they won or did not. Once they won the All Ireland at last that was all that mattered to us LK followers and at least in my case I could not give two flying ducks if they never got an All Star. I have for many years lost interest in All Star selections as they are far too weighted those who have appeared in All Finals or Semi Finals.
Finally, Tipp did not win the '14 All Ireland - Kilkenny did. Tipp did not win the Munster Final either that year or even qualify for it and yet they got seven All Stars to Kilkenny six. Cork won the Munster Final and got none.
As I said before, this 'caper has long been a joke'.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 05/11/2019 18:27:28    2247957

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Can't say I agree. I thought there were a number of occasions this year where Liam Ryan made crucial errors, and on many occasions his hurling was sloppy, particularly under a high ball.

For me I believe Conor McDonald should have received an all star definitely ahead of Colin Fennelly."
Stupid statement are you a gorey man by any chance Mcdonald won't win a all star in my opinion til he gets the selfishness out of his game against tipp he was at fault for ronan mahers 2 points and 1 or 2 more if I'm not mistaken... Not a cristism just my opinion his far from being the finished article as his only 23 he is still learning... On Ryan only the peno that wasnt givin against tipp was only fault as he pulled him to ground.. Could of frees he gave away agaisnt fennelly but fennelly fouls the whole time and gets away with it

gannett83 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 05/11/2019 22:06:49    2248011

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Spare us the 'only' in reference to how many All Stars Limerick got- I never used the word 'only in relation to how many they won or did not. Once they won the All Ireland at last that was all that mattered to us LK followers and at least in my case I could not give two flying ducks if they never got an All Star. I have for many years lost interest in All Star selections as they are far too weighted those who have appeared in All Finals or Semi Finals.
Finally, Tipp did not win the '14 All Ireland - Kilkenny did. Tipp did not win the Munster Final either that year or even qualify for it and yet they got seven All Stars to Kilkenny six. Cork won the Munster Final and got none.
As I said before, this 'caper has long been a joke'."
A man here talking sense.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 05/11/2019 22:40:46    2248023

Link

Replying To gannett83:  "Stupid statement are you a gorey man by any chance Mcdonald won't win a all star in my opinion til he gets the selfishness out of his game against tipp he was at fault for ronan mahers 2 points and 1 or 2 more if I'm not mistaken... Not a cristism just my opinion his far from being the finished article as his only 23 he is still learning... On Ryan only the peno that wasnt givin against tipp was only fault as he pulled him to ground.. Could of frees he gave away agaisnt fennelly but fennelly fouls the whole time and gets away with it"
Stupid statement? I'll leave that to you. I'm not from Gorey, and I'm sure many non-Gorey people would agree with my view that McDonald showed greater individual brilliance than Fennelly, and McDonald also played far more of his hurling this season at wing forward than Fennelly did. He scored more from play than Fennelly, Gillane and Reid, in fact the only players to score more from play than him were Horgan, Callanan and John McGrath (who should have been selected instead of Gillane).

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1232 - 06/11/2019 09:12:04    2248047

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "A man here talking sense."
Thanks. BTW, I just love the conundrum implied in your Username

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 06/11/2019 09:26:38    2248052

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Spare us the 'only' in reference to how many All Stars Limerick got- I never used the word 'only in relation to how many they won or did not. Once they won the All Ireland at last that was all that mattered to us LK followers and at least in my case I could not give two flying ducks if they never got an All Star. I have for many years lost interest in All Star selections as they are far too weighted those who have appeared in All Finals or Semi Finals.
As I said before, this 'caper has long been a joke'."
Sorry for the stupid blunder about 2014 and Tipperary, but the main point of my post was to answer you when you questioned how somebody else referred to a "customary" seven All-Stars for All-Ireland winners.

So, if I'd just gone back through 2017, 16, and 15 and stopped then, I'd have shown you how the three previous All-Ireland champions before Limerick won seven All-Stars each, which by any definition of the word makes that "customary" in recent years.

And my point still holds far more relevance too than your references to Cork football 2010, or Limerick hurling 1973.

Finally, for somebody with so little interest in the All Stars, you have an awful lot to say about it.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 456 - 06/11/2019 09:50:19    2248056

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Stupid statement? I'll leave that to you. I'm not from Gorey, and I'm sure many non-Gorey people would agree with my view that McDonald showed greater individual brilliance than Fennelly, and McDonald also played far more of his hurling this season at wing forward than Fennelly did. He scored more from play than Fennelly, Gillane and Reid, in fact the only players to score more from play than him were Horgan, Callanan and John McGrath (who should have been selected instead of Gillane)."
Taught john McGrath had a quiet year by his standards over half of his scores were against poor clare and Waterford teams, he done well in the final but shouldn't have been playing in it as his challenge on reck was worthy of a straight red, gillane was the best player in this year's league which probably helped him same with fennelly his ballyhale form could have been a factor, McDonald got 2-5 in our 2 croke park outings rory o'connor 0-7 both of which is good going

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 06/11/2019 09:50:54    2248057

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Sorry for the stupid blunder about 2014 and Tipperary, but the main point of my post was to answer you when you questioned how somebody else referred to a "customary" seven All-Stars for All-Ireland winners.

So, if I'd just gone back through 2017, 16, and 15 and stopped then, I'd have shown you how the three previous All-Ireland champions before Limerick won seven All-Stars each, which by any definition of the word makes that "customary" in recent years.

And my point still holds far more relevance too than your references to Cork football 2010, or Limerick hurling 1973.

Finally, for somebody with so little interest in the All Stars, you have an awful lot to say about it."
Never mind. I take a savage interest in anything to with the GAA, even if I do have negative views on some issues pertaining to it. I strongly feel good players from so caller 'lesser' counties should be recognised more often. After all is there any Wexford player from '96, Galway player from '17 or LK man from last year, who would swap those AI Medals for any amount of All Stars.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 07/11/2019 21:49:21    2248448

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Stupid statement? I'll leave that to you. I'm not from Gorey, and I'm sure many non-Gorey people would agree with my view that McDonald showed greater individual brilliance than Fennelly, and McDonald also played far more of his hurling this season at wing forward than Fennelly did. He scored more from play than Fennelly, Gillane and Reid, in fact the only players to score more from play than him were Horgan, Callanan and John McGrath (who should have been selected instead of Gillane)."
Perhaps the fact that Gillane was not put off this year, unlike last year, and not an All Star subsequently had something to do with JM been overlooked. Nobody could accuse John of been a dirty player, but he was put off twice this year and that might not have helped.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 07/11/2019 21:54:17    2248451

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Never mind. I take a savage interest in anything to with the GAA, even if I do have negative views on some issues pertaining to it. I strongly feel good players from so caller 'lesser' counties should be recognised more often. After all is there any Wexford player from '96, Galway player from '17 or LK man from last year, who would swap those AI Medals for any amount of All Stars."
Well I for one agree with you. I think its not only a waste of time but elitist and against the core values of what we all believe the GAA should be about. In the recent debate about a second tier championship in football the fact that none of the players who play outside the top tier would never stand a chance of been selected for an All Star was never mentioned but everything else was - that they put in as much time and effort as the top tier and perhaps its the lack of funds and resources that keep the whole team down. In addition great players who would never get to an All Ireland would never be seen on TV. Yet the GAA already accepts that the elite should only get an All Star. Its a team sport - if you want an award pick team of the year - I would pick Laois hurlers despite Dublin achieving a history breaking moment.
Anyway like you, I have long switched off interest in the All Stars and wouldn't shed a tear if they disappeared totally.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1102 - 08/11/2019 01:55:49    2248480

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Never mind. I take a savage interest in anything to with the GAA, even if I do have negative views on some issues pertaining to it. I strongly feel good players from so caller 'lesser' counties should be recognised more often. After all is there any Wexford player from '96, Galway player from '17 or LK man from last year, who would swap those AI Medals for any amount of All Stars."
I would say that most people on this forum have a "savage" interest in the Gaa.Wexford has in fact more contributors than any other county.(i think I'm correct in saying that) Back to the all stars,the lower tiers are honored separately on thr same night. They get their trophies and are paraded out.none of them are worthy yet of recieving the main awards as they have never been tested against any of the top teams.you could make an argument for some players from Galway,Clare or Dublin but with 10 coming from the winners and runners up there simply isn't enough room to sqeeze any of them in.yes it may seem somewhat unfair but is there a better system that would please everybody.your posts are well put together oldtourman, I look forward to reading them even though I may not agree with everything you say.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 524 - 08/11/2019 06:08:00    2248481

Link

The winning teams deserve to have most or all of the players on the team of the season. One player outside of Man City and Liverpool was on the premier league team of the season last year. I have my own views on the All Stars that I have made well known. Its great for the individuals who get them, a nice trip away (junket) for them and other than that I couldnt give a toss about them. I'd swap ten All Stars for an All Ireland medal

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 08/11/2019 10:23:50    2248517

Link