Wexford Forum

U20 Football

(Oldest Posts First)

very interesting management team, best of luck to them

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2010 - 16/02/2018 09:24:15    2077321

Link

Crazy how this competition was allowed to be changed so much.

As things stand Wexford cannot pick anyone named in the championship panel for the senior footballers or hurlers.

The competition will run during the leaving cert with Wexford likely to be missing a lot of 18-19 year olds doing their leaving cert.

Under 21 football was pure football with all the best players playing now its mickey mouse.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 16/02/2018 10:31:02    2077344

Link

I actually agree with the change.
1. If a 19 or 20 year old is good enough to make the senior panel then they are doing enough and its better to have places available to develop other players

2. The leaving cert is just a few weeks in June, its not some black hole that lads should disappear into for a year. There should be no problem with lads playing up until a week or two before the leaving.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 16/02/2018 17:05:12    2077454

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "I actually agree with the change.
1. If a 19 or 20 year old is good enough to make the senior panel then they are doing enough and its better to have places available to develop other players

2. The leaving cert is just a few weeks in June, its not some black hole that lads should disappear into for a year. There should be no problem with lads playing up until a week or two before the leaving."
You havent thought enough about this i think. Point one, i agree with in terms of an ideology but have you thought about the consequences?? How will wex compete when any reslly good u20 football will be tied up with senior. Big counties will benefit hugely again!! Not good for the game.

Second point, its not just the exams, its more the prep. An LC student will not have 2 evenings a week and most of sat or sun to go play a game to dedicate to football. What you will find is after a fes years and bad beatings lads just wont bother.
Thatll do some job developing footballers!!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 16/02/2018 18:34:06    2077477

Link

So you reckon someone would be studying so much that they couldn't spare 5/6 hours a week to train? 99% of students will study a little bit every evening and MAYBE for an hour on a Saturday. Plenty of time for training.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 17/02/2018 08:16:02    2077556

Link

Minor was reduced to u17 to avoid problems with leaving cert. Now u20 have the same issues with fellas doing leaving cert.
great planning!!!

Gigger (Wexford) - Posts: 17 - 17/02/2018 08:29:12    2077558

Link

Replying To Gigger:  "Minor was reduced to u17 to avoid problems with leaving cert. Now u20 have the same issues with fellas doing leaving cert.
great planning!!!"
No - minor was reduced to under 17 to stop minor matches and adult fixtures impacting on each other.
There will still be some under 17s doing the leaving cert. The leaving cert was not a reason for the change

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 17/02/2018 10:23:13    2077582

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "No - minor was reduced to under 17 to stop minor matches and adult fixtures impacting on each other.
There will still be some under 17s doing the leaving cert. The leaving cert was not a reason for the change"
It was one of the main factors in the decision

Gigger (Wexford) - Posts: 17 - 17/02/2018 21:05:34    2077768

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "So you reckon someone would be studying so much that they couldn't spare 5/6 hours a week to train? 99% of students will study a little bit every evening and MAYBE for an hour on a Saturday. Plenty of time for training."
You still dont know too much about it lad. A lot of lads that take school seriously do 3/4 hours each night and saturday study at the weekend which mostly goes 9-1 and some 9-4. With that you may even have a maths grind to fit in.

Where you getting 5 or 6 hours from?? Take a lad in wex town say. Training at 7 on a tuesday means he leaves wex at 6.15( latest) trains until 8.15, togged and home for 9.15. Thats 3 hours ish a night and im not being too ott there. Then take playing a practice game in cork on sunday, how many hours would that take.

Think its not a factor if you like lad but dont be saying its only a few hours and dont be coding yourself that lads do an hour study a night either because you are way off with both statements.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 17/02/2018 23:35:45    2077799

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "So you reckon someone would be studying so much that they couldn't spare 5/6 hours a week to train? 99% of students will study a little bit every evening and MAYBE for an hour on a Saturday. Plenty of time for training."
The matches are on during the leaving

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 18/02/2018 10:33:04    2077851

Link

Replying To Gigger:  "It was one of the main factors in the decision"
It was not one of the main factors at all, I was at all of the meetings and leaving cert was hardly mentioned

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1232 - 18/02/2018 18:56:23    2078022

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "The matches are on during the leaving"
There is no under 20 match from May 4th until June 27th

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 18/02/2018 18:58:31    2078024

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "You still dont know too much about it lad. A lot of lads that take school seriously do 3/4 hours each night and saturday study at the weekend which mostly goes 9-1 and some 9-4. With that you may even have a maths grind to fit in.

Where you getting 5 or 6 hours from?? Take a lad in wex town say. Training at 7 on a tuesday means he leaves wex at 6.15( latest) trains until 8.15, togged and home for 9.15. Thats 3 hours ish a night and im not being too ott there. Then take playing a practice game in cork on sunday, how many hours would that take.

Think its not a factor if you like lad but dont be saying its only a few hours and dont be coding yourself that lads do an hour study a night either because you are way off with both statements."
I know a lot more about it than you might think. Of course the leaving cert is important, but if the issue was investigated properly I'd be very surprised if very many of our intercounty leaving cert players are studying to the degree you suggest. And if the leaving cert is that serious a commitment for a few then what harm is a year away from the intercounty scene anyway? Those players could Take the pressure off themselves by waiting until the following year before getting involved in the county under 20 team. Under this new system we will have less lads doing the leaving cert and playing with the county teams in the same year. Surely this is a good thing if the leaving cert poses that much of a pressure?

And 890202 I'd have to correct that slightly, I was at a meeting where it was discussed for a while and many at that meeting were of the opinion that under the old system there was more pressure on lads doing the leaving cert and this new system reduces that pressure. Having said that, I stick by the point that the main reason for this age change was to stop minor and adult fixtures holding each other up.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 18/02/2018 19:10:41    2078037

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "There is no under 20 match from May 4th until June 27th"
Sorry for some reason I looked at the club master fixtures instead of intercounty before I made that comment. Your right about fixtures being on during the leaving which I do agree is wrong. That needs to be changed going forward. But that one mistake or problem shouldn't hide all the positives from the change of age brackets.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 18/02/2018 19:18:04    2078040

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "Sorry for some reason I looked at the club master fixtures instead of intercounty before I made that comment. Your right about fixtures being on during the leaving which I do agree is wrong. That needs to be changed going forward. But that one mistake or problem shouldn't hide all the positives from the change of age brackets."
What positives are there except for not letting under age and adult fixtures clash??
What about the fact that the strong teams will just dominate even more than usual due to not having players from senior panel available?

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 18/02/2018 20:54:12    2078099

Link

Positives at intercounty level of under 17 and under 20 instead of under 18 and 21:
1. Fixtures
2. The highest number of players do the leaving cert in their under 18 year. Under the new system they won't have to play county minor at the same time. Thus making it easier for them to concentrate on their studies and easier for under 17 managers to develop a team as less disruption.
3. Under 20s who are good enough to play intercounty senior will not be burned out at an early age by being expected to play for multiple county teams on top of their club commitments. The second benefit of this is that there are more places available in under 20 panels to develop players who otherwise may not have got a chance at all. This can only benefit these players and help expose more players to the standard of intercounty.

At club level the benefits are:
1. A club adult teams fixtures will no longer be affected by minor fixtures. Should free up more time for when both minor and adult can be played. Hence more games for the club player
2. Under 20 means that 18 year olds will be more likely to be playing on the teams than they would if it were still under 21. This was to compensate for the losing out on last year minor.

I think give it a chance. I've yet to see a good argument against any of these changes. As was said early the only issue I see is playing under 20 intercounty games in early june. This is unfair.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 18/02/2018 22:11:19    2078153

Link

Replying To Onfor15:  "Positives at intercounty level of under 17 and under 20 instead of under 18 and 21:
1. Fixtures
2. The highest number of players do the leaving cert in their under 18 year. Under the new system they won't have to play county minor at the same time. Thus making it easier for them to concentrate on their studies and easier for under 17 managers to develop a team as less disruption.
3. Under 20s who are good enough to play intercounty senior will not be burned out at an early age by being expected to play for multiple county teams on top of their club commitments. The second benefit of this is that there are more places available in under 20 panels to develop players who otherwise may not have got a chance at all. This can only benefit these players and help expose more players to the standard of intercounty.

At club level the benefits are:
1. A club adult teams fixtures will no longer be affected by minor fixtures. Should free up more time for when both minor and adult can be played. Hence more games for the club player
2. Under 20 means that 18 year olds will be more likely to be playing on the teams than they would if it were still under 21. This was to compensate for the losing out on last year minor.

I think give it a chance. I've yet to see a good argument against any of these changes. As was said early the only issue I see is playing under 20 intercounty games in early june. This is unfair."
Sooner the better that under 21 hurling is changed to under 20 as well so its same as football.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 19/02/2018 11:53:38    2078288

Link

It's not the preparation even, it's the risk of injury. Broken finger put you out of action/writing for 5/6 weeks, missing the LC.

Academics first- amateur, club level sport second. S

youngroryjacob (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 19/02/2018 14:56:17    2078376

Link

Replying To youngroryjacob:  "It's not the preparation even, it's the risk of injury. Broken finger put you out of action/writing for 5/6 weeks, missing the LC.

Academics first- amateur, club level sport second. S"
If you break your finger or arm any time before the leaving cert including until the night before you will be assigned a scribe for your exams which is actually more of an advantage than having to write the exam yourself in my opinion. Obviously I wouldn't wish a broken bone on anyone but its not something which would prevent someone doing their Leaving

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 19/02/2018 16:28:51    2078429

Link