Westmeath Forum

Westmeath SHC 2021.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To James73:  "As repeated again I think Castletown really were so close last year that this is their chance, such lovely hurlers and that bit more battle hardened from last year.
Clonkill on the other hand seem to be just thrudging along and getting results even with last years final starting team missing some of the strongest club hurlers in the county, some were brought on granted. They finished the final with a far superior 15 that started. They should of snatched it in normal time, but once it went to added time they were always going to dog it out.
I predict a huge back lash from raharney as the hurlers are there just have not clicked for a little while, however I still have CTG and clonkill slightly ahead with Raharney very close behind.
The Gaels for such a huge pick of the county seem to be over reliant on 2/3 lads and that just cannot work. Derek mc N, jogger and Conaty cannot win on their own and even young Williams is a good hurler but lacks physicality in my opinion. I hear they are back training in small groups, wrong on many levels with the current covid restrictions I wonder who organises it players or management? What exactly is the current guidelines around club teams training in small groups at the present time but I highly doubt it's allowed.
Maybe this could be the year they cause an upset with superior fitness but I just can't see it, a nice team to watch but always a flop when things get tough.
Who is managing teams this year does anyone know?"
I am going to comment on the matter for having a huge pick for clubs for example the gaels have a few townland areas with new family's starting up. On the other hand the likes of the raharneys clonkils and Fr Daltons have a much wider area, eg Clonkil pull from neighbouring clubs Turin and Crookedwood all within picking distance. I think it's wrong nearly retiring clubs that held such a stronghold in Westmeath hurling through the years.

Walkslikeaducksoundslikeaduck (Fermanagh) - Posts: 3 - 17/02/2021 21:38:34    2331778

Link

Replying To Walkslikeaducksoundslikeaduck:  "Clonkil nor Castletown not to make final this year."
Wow, you better tell us who's going to make the final and win it ??

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 762 - 17/02/2021 22:52:01    2331789

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Wow, you better tell us who's going to make the final and win it ??"
Castle pollard 1 Town

Walkslikeaducksoundslikeaduck (Fermanagh) - Posts: 3 - 18/02/2021 10:32:18    2331821

Link

Replying To James73:  "As repeated again I think Castletown really were so close last year that this is their chance, such lovely hurlers and that bit more battle hardened from last year.
Clonkill on the other hand seem to be just thrudging along and getting results even with last years final starting team missing some of the strongest club hurlers in the county, some were brought on granted. They finished the final with a far superior 15 that started. They should of snatched it in normal time, but once it went to added time they were always going to dog it out.
I predict a huge back lash from raharney as the hurlers are there just have not clicked for a little while, however I still have CTG and clonkill slightly ahead with Raharney very close behind.
The Gaels for such a huge pick of the county seem to be over reliant on 2/3 lads and that just cannot work. Derek mc N, jogger and Conaty cannot win on their own and even young Williams is a good hurler but lacks physicality in my opinion. I hear they are back training in small groups, wrong on many levels with the current covid restrictions I wonder who organises it players or management? What exactly is the current guidelines around club teams training in small groups at the present time but I highly doubt it's allowed.
Maybe this could be the year they cause an upset with superior fitness but I just can't see it, a nice team to watch but always a flop when things get tough.
Who is managing teams this year does anyone know?"
Would you really say the Gaels have that big of a pick? A couple of miles in each direction and they're surrounded by other clubs, brownstown pollard Delvin, ringtown the wood and Turin all in the surrounding areas. Sparsely populated area with no big town or housing estates

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 18/02/2021 11:12:17    2331828

Link

If the Gaels had such a large pick they wouldn't have to worry about amalgamations. They've been a few players short of mounting a realistic challenge for some time - 12 years since their last final appearance. Since 2009 it's been the big three in each final except for outliers of Plunketts & Pollard in 2013 and 2014.

Pollard are in a similar place to the Gales too. Both clubs will continue to produce a few top quality players but there's just not enough at their disposal at the moment to bridge the gap. In another Covid shortened c'ship year, you'd never know. Could well be scope for someone unexpected to make a final.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 20/02/2021 18:20:59    2332155

Link

Possibly might happen but less likely if proposed championship structure goes ahead. Six teams, five matches, top team into final, 2nd and 3rd in semi. Means teams winning one or two matches simply won't qualify for semi final. In all likelihood three wins will be needed to qualify. In recent years, teams often progressed by simply beating the weakest side.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 20/02/2021 23:27:10    2332223

Link