USA Forum

New York football team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Richey Morgan destroyed Ronan mcginely in inhouse game last week will ye stop for gods sakes

Dub1995 (Dublin) - Posts: 14 - 01/05/2014 17:25:23    1583099

Link

Expect to see Conor McCormack early on the game. Would like to see Lonan Maguire introduced to the any one of the forward positions (but not the backs) as he loves to travel and is an excellent ball handler.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 602 - 01/05/2014 17:35:55    1583107

Link

Morgan is a good forward but lets not get carried away, i think he is well down management thinking, with curran and the boy from monaghan named ahead of him, plus i imagine it will be more defensive changes on Sunday then those up front.What i saw of McGinley against Kerry in the first round, he was terrific,he led from the back and New York will need that leadership on Sunday. Few lads unlucky i believe, mcguire's attacking instincts probably counted against him for this game and mccormack was suppose to be number 3. Guess his injury has not cleared up. These boys are up against it on Sunday, they need to be praised not criticised. Remember nobody goes out to play badly

moneytalks (Derry) - Posts: 14 - 01/05/2014 19:41:48    1583145

Link

Good luck to all involved on Sunday. We can all have an opinion on the team but the squad deserve credit for the work they have put in. I think its a strong NY team compared to other years but Mayo are a different animal entirely

Prediction

NY 1-11 - 4-19 Mayo

rossie12 (Roscommon) - Posts: 396 - 02/05/2014 12:56:32    1583356

Link

I hope newyork do well an I will b supporting them I'm just stating Morgan is the best scoring forward we have in town at the minute. Just my view

Dub1995 (Dublin) - Posts: 14 - 02/05/2014 15:59:29    1583468

Link

Mayo by 35+ tomorrow

Dub1995 (Dublin) - Posts: 14 - 03/05/2014 18:34:59    1583774

Link

Weather is partly cloudy and mild. Hopefully any showers will hold off until after the match. Good luck New York.

mikeyjoe (USA) - Posts: 409 - 04/05/2014 12:29:17    1583967

Link

So after losing by 20 points 2 years in a row they sink further into the cesspool and lose by 22 today.

See you all on here next year talking nonsense about a new manager and good training, the drink ban and the dedication! 2015 might be the year!!!

#endthefarce

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 04/05/2014 21:19:30    1584169

Link

Well sure it was another heavy defeat but this time with NY putting in a better performance. Still missing a few power players around the field but in the end Mayo kept it going strong. Errors were the reason for at least 4 of Mayo's first 6 points. One of the biggest crowds ever in Gaelic Park I'd say. Must have being close to 5,000 there but well be told 2,500.
Anyways if NY could keep adding to this panel, they'll be in with a chance down the road. Lets not talk today about players that should have being playing , we all know them but no use to anyone. Mc Ginley who took a wrap or two on this board was the best player NY had.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 549 - 05/05/2014 11:33:44    1584244

Link

A heavy defeat it was but it wasn't a loss in the calibre if Leitrim or Sligo. New York were their own worst enemies on the first half making simple mistakes leading to points for mayo. The giving away of 2 penalties and an injury time goal made the scoreline worse. New yorks backs were excellent and held their own around the middle but the forwards never got going. A lad like lynam and Conor would have been a big help but that's a pointless argument at this stage. Good job to management they had done everything they could have . If they keep building on the direction they're heading, they'll get a result sooner rather then later.

sligolifer (Sligo) - Posts: 959 - 05/05/2014 11:58:26    1584260

Link

I left the game yesterday and I had a strange feeling. If you look at the scoreboard you would think it was one way traffic yet it didn't happen that way. NY really held their own in the first half. I would say they had 10 shots at the posts that either went wide or short and they hit the upright a number of time. There was a clear structure to their game. They forced Mayo into a number of bad shots by keeping good shape at the back.

The 2nd half started poorly with the concession of a poor goal but NY responded with a couple of points of their own. McGinley had an excellent game while McCartan kept Cillian O Connor quiet in open play. Denis O Sullivan did well as did the midfield pairing. Driscoll was probably the best of the forwards but was isolated on a number of occasions

Looking forward I think we need to support this group as there has been vast improvements in the way the team was set up. Everyone needs to remember that was Mayo yesterday and not the 3 teams that beat us out the gate the previous 3 years

rossie12 (Roscommon) - Posts: 396 - 05/05/2014 14:22:41    1584306

Link

How can you come on here and try to justify a 22 point loss as an improvement and a better performance?! All they are missing is a few "power players" and simple mistakes let Mayo score?? BAD teams don't have power players, BAD teams make simple mistakes over and over again. Merely wishing for anything different isn't productive.

To pull out an old cliche; the height of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Clearly the team weakens every year, clearly they can't attract "power players", clearly they can't be coached into making it a respectable hammering.

I hope Liam O'Neil follows up on his veiled warning that this pathetic feature of the GAA calender will end sooner rather than later.

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 05/05/2014 14:28:51    1584308

Link

What a waste of money sending a team out every year to trash New York... I read that it would cost in the region of €60,000 to send the Mayo team over this year... What a farce with clubs at home struggling to stay afloat ( prob Mayo clubs too ) and this sort of money wasted.. !!! Liam O Neill its time you got a grip and end this farcical fixture..!!'m

Sean66 (Cavan) - Posts: 440 - 05/05/2014 15:09:40    1584323

Link

It might have cost 60,000, but I think you have to look beyond that number and look at the big picture. It was a great weekend for GAA in New York. There are a bunch of fund raising events that were held during the week to help grow the game out here. There are a lot of rich Irish-American donors who would love to give back to Ireland and the GAA community, and having the game out here once a year goes a long way to keeping them involved and connected.

By the way, assuming that everyone paid the $25 ticket price yesterday, there should have been $125,000 - $150,000 taken in ticket fees alone. You could barely move in there.

As far as the game itself, Mayo are obviously the better team, but New York were not as bad as the 22 point defeat showed. Considering the battering Mayo gave Donegal last year, it could have been much worse. New York played very well in defence, but Mayo's defence was so well organized that New York could not do anything in the final third.
Simple mistakes were made that should not be made at county level. Example: a free is given against New York, and two or three players stand complaining to the referee, while the three men they should be marking are sprinting in to yards of space looking for the quick free kick. Happened too many times. Stuff like that is disappointing. But overall, they gave a decent account of themselves.

Texas (Donegal) - Posts: 163 - 05/05/2014 15:48:33    1584337

Link

Don't think it's a total farce. After all mayo had about 2600 fans who made the trip and they seemed to fully enjoy the trip. Would you say mayo versus Sligo or leitrim is also a farce and should never happen. Mayo would beat 10 county teams in Ireland by much the same margin. I'm sure NY will hang in for another few years.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 549 - 05/05/2014 15:50:51    1584340

Link

definitely not a waste of time. brings a lot of attention to the ny gaa which is a good thing. Changes to the set up can be made, would like to see the players on the NY panel eligible for league games leading up to the game.

bleedfootball (USA) - Posts: 139 - 05/05/2014 15:59:11    1584345

Link

Obviously they were never going to win the game but I would like to have seen New York put up a few more points. They missed a few chances and were moving the ball well out of their own half. I don't know why they kept stopping at the 40 and pass the ball around. It was like watching basketball. I wasn't sure what their strategy was for getting scores.

DBo183 (USA) - Posts: 16 - 05/05/2014 17:16:53    1584380

Link

CrossGaa
Would you say mayo versus Sligo or Leitrim is also a farce and should never happen?"

The fact that Leitrim bt NY 4-19 to 0-7 (2pts more than Mayo yesterday) blows that argument apart!

JimMorrisson (Leitrim) - Posts: 309 - 05/05/2014 19:36:26    1584438

Link

CrossGaa
Would you say mayo versus Sligo or Leitrim is also a farce and should never happen?"

The fact that Leitrim bt NY 4-19 to 0-7 (2pts more than Mayo yesterday) blows that argument apart!

JimMorrison. No i'm am not saying that just making a response to a prior post in support of NY's involvement

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 549 - 06/05/2014 11:24:24    1584536

Link

@ Jimmorrison

You're contradicting yourself. NY by your logis have made massive improvements then. They lost to Mayo by 22 who beat Galway by 24.

No one is denying NY have a long way to go but how much of a hiding would most counties take from Mayo if they played 1 game every year. A little bit of perspective here would go a long way. James Horan has had this team since 2011 playing together constantly. Forgetting FBD and Challenge games thats easily 50-60 games. Ny has had 3 in that time. The GAA has to do something. The idea of bringing the div 4 winners here is a good one. FBD would help too. If the board can get this to happen NY will be competitive.

rossie12 (Roscommon) - Posts: 396 - 06/05/2014 12:56:54    1584572

Link