Tipperary Forum

John O'Brien

(Oldest Posts First)

Sad to see a great servant of Tipperary hurling calling it a day. I was on the terrace in Limerick in 2008 when he scored a brilliant second half goal against Clare in the Munster final. That goal helped that Tipp team win their first Munster final and set them on the journey to winning the 2010 All-Ireland final.

For a brilliantly skillful hurler he had plenty of steel and was a great target man for puckouts despite not being the tallest man on the field. It won't be the same without him in 2015 but he owes us nothing. Enjoy your retirement Johnno.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 26/11/2014 10:08:16    1674957

Link

I agree Killarney JOB got some crucial scores at vital times for Tipp down the years. Some to my memory are:

2001 - Munster Final v Limerick... pressure on and only a point up in injury time and he seals the deal with the last puck of the game. You could sense the relief when that point went over.
2008 - Munster Final - v Clare...With Clare pushing on and seriously looking like they were gonna close the gap he catches a puck up and within 3 seconds he rattles the net and game over.Again that score stopped the Clare onslaught that was happening.
2010 - AI Semi Final v Waterford 5 points from play in a superb performance.

A wonderful player and gentleman I'm sure many Tipp followers are sad to see him hang up the hurls.
Thanks John for many great memories.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1643 - 28/11/2014 12:33:11    1675321

Link

Fair play to you for remembering the point against Limerick. The other thing I remember about him is in matches against Kilkenny where the other forwards got cleaned, that he would be our only forward with his reputation in tact after the match .

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 29/11/2014 12:10:10    1675447

Link

After about 17 years of a fantastic career et the top of Tipp hurling in all grades Johno has hung up his County Boots we will all miss his talent and skills on the on the ball.
He is a character of many parts and you never knew what was coming out of the hat next and Im blessed to know him personally he's also had his share of tragedy through his playing one of the was when at the height of his playing career he had his pelvis fractured in a car accident was lucky to come out of it alive most of us thought he would never hurl again but that is the character of the Man back he came and and to the top but to me it stopped him reaching his real potential with Club and County to whom he was a true and loyal servant.
I will try to list the most of the medals he won.
U 12, 2 North and County.
U 14, 2 North and County
U 16, 2 North, 1 County
Minor 2 North, 1 County 1 Tipp/Munster
U 21 3 North, 1 Tipp/Munster
SH Club 4 North, 7 County, 3 Munster, 2 County League, 3 Man of Match Awards
SH Tipp 3 Munster, 2 AI, 2 League

But most of all was our respect and then the enjoyment he gave us Bye Bye Johno.

JC Wales (Tipperary) - Posts: 3040 - 30/11/2014 21:51:57    1675691

Link

Thats for sure Killarney and as JC pointed out you never knew what was coming next.
As with that goal against Clare any other forward would have picked off a point but John done what he did best all his career & took the risk which paid off.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1643 - 01/12/2014 11:00:58    1675727

Link