Tipperary Forum

Senior Management - Two years in...

(Oldest Posts First)

My opinion on the management of the senior team was made up long before yesterday but what does everyone else think?

Yesterday alone saw some of the most astonishing mistakes by management! The Lar situation, well I'm not even goin to try guess what that was about......crazy!
They admitted they were slow last year against KK but again yesterday they were slow! Fogarty was beaten Tom stapleton well and should have been taken off in d first half but they leave him on and then bring on a corner back with not enough hurling ability for the half back line for him? Paul Curran looked shaky all day and eventually they bring on, Donagh Maher, another very young corner back in full back (to be fair Donagh did well but your asking for trouble with strokes like that). How many subs have Tipp used all year and then John O'Neill is thrown in. He did well but where was his other game time all year, he could have been a game changer if introduced when we were still in it. Not just for a bit of bulls**t experience at the end!

Eoin Kelly deserves more respect than to be left out when Tipp needed a real man the most! Yeah his burst of speed has gone but he puts his heart and his body on the line! He doesn't care what way the ball comes in, because he will fight for it! We needed ball winners yesterday and he would have done just that.

Bad display from the sideline in my own opinion.

semplestadium (Tipperary) - Posts: 146 - 20/08/2012 11:47:12    1248344

Link

Management has to be gone, no other choice here for the county board, there two year term is up and we lost last years all Ireland from bad tactics a game we could of won, yesterday was the worst Tipp game I was ever at in all my life. I have said it all ready if we went out and hurled 15 v 15 without the side show and got bet by that much well fair enough but it was the manner in which we let ourselves down that is getting to me. For me it is time we went outside the county for the next manager, for Declan to bring on his own club man who had not got any game time this year just hits home I know the game was well over by then but then look back to last years all Ireland and we all know where that was lost again. This management had to much of swagger/ arrogance about them and it was rubbing of on the players I did not like the interviews they were giving either, they started to remind me of the Dublin hurlers the last few weeks certain players in the paper the whole time, let your hurling do the talking for you just like the Kk lads do.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 21/08/2012 09:12:45    1248991

Link

Management,decent men and two of them great hurlers for Tipp in the past. Dont seem to be strong enough in personality type to deal with the modern player.
Corbetts decision to avoid the hard early season training with a so called "retirement" was a disaster, It meant the prodigal son type return was a distraction, In fact Limerick should have ,and Cork could have, sent Tipperary through the back door,Management clearly ignored the warning signs. Modern day squads like Kilkenny[hurling]Donegal,Cork ,Dublin,Mayo [football] are run like boot camps.You must prove consistently that you are a manly player at training and in matches. Yes players have opinions on this that and the other,but in the aforementioned squads ,their opinions are not tolerated.Ask a plethora of Kilkenny hurlers[beginning with Charlie Carter] ,Dublin[Mark Vaughan] Mayo[Conor Mortimer] Donegal [Cassidy] Cork footballers[James Masterson]. The likes of Lar Corbetts come and go as I please ,and do what I like on the field mentality ,would not be tolerated in the teams I have mentioned.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2225 - 21/08/2012 13:04:58    1249167

Link

Management has two former great hurlers, but clearly not strong enough personalities, to deal with modern players. The comings and goings of one player during the year would not be tolerated or accepted in the Kilkenny hurling squad or Dublin,Cork,Donegal,and Mayo football squads. Modern squads are run like army boot camps,one for all and all for one.No allowances are made except in the matter of serious illnes or family bereavements. Players toe the party line or they walk.The team ethos is everything,maverick solo runners are not tolerated. Tipperarys speed off the mark in 50/50 collisons and for breaking balls was seriously off the mark last Sunday.Thats a combination of desire and preparation, not being good enough. Tactically the errors have been well documented,but good players adjust to circumstances,and play the game on its merits. Corbett copped out because Tyrell has his number in big games. Tipperary have the hurlers, but a new management team is a must. Certain players must be asked to retire,and some one needs to shake up Conor O`Mahoney.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2225 - 21/08/2012 14:16:48    1249217

Link

Trixy, few issues with your last comments. Agreed that players must toe d line but there is a serious question over d player mgt of d Corbett situation! U mention the boot camp like squads above but look how some of those squads have managed some of their marquee players! Brogans, cooper, o'se's, cavanagh, shefflin, even go back Peter canavan, these lads weren't rolled out in early league rounds or other silly competitions! When lads have a few yrs inter county trainin in them they don't need the heavy winter trainin as much as newer players! Corbetts history of hamstring injuries means he needs to be nursed through the early stages of d year! Ya he didn't cover himself in glory but d mgt were as much to blame!

You say that players must toe the line and then that Corbett didn't step up to the plate v Kk cos tyrell has him in big games! This is a complete contradiction! Lar was clearly following mgt instruction v kk do what do you expect him to do?

Finally Mahoney was tipps best player v limerick. Was one of d few backs that did well v cork while he did struggle v Wford! Against Kk he was playin with 2 broken toes, didn't even do the warm up!

semplestadium (Tipperary) - Posts: 146 - 21/08/2012 16:53:49    1249368

Link

I have no doubt that Tipperary have the panel of players to win the all Ireland.However they don't have the management team to achive that.While looking at last years All Ireland in Croke Park i knew after a short while that Tipperary were playing exactly as Coady would have planned.Declan Ryan does not have any tactics only something you woudnt see in under 10 games.Lar Corbett should of had a free role last Sunday and be running at defenders and drawing them in for release of the ball.He is one of the best hand passers of a ball I ever saw.Last Sunday I think he did this once.

Anthony Cunningham of Galway wont be playing into Coady's trap for the final.This All Ireland is far from a cert for the Cats.

Bannisteoir (Wexford) - Posts: 127 - 21/08/2012 17:15:42    1249391

Link

therealtmo
County: Tipperary

1248991 Management has to be gone, no other choice here for the county board, there two year term is up and we lost last years all Ireland from bad tactics a game we could of won, yesterday was the worst Tipp game I was ever at in all my life. I have said it all ready if we went out and hurled 15 v 15 without the side show and got bet by that much well fair enough but it was the manner in which we let ourselves down that is getting to me. For me it is time we went outside the county for the next manager, for Declan to bring on his own club man who had not got any game time this year just hits home I know the game was well over by then but then look back to last years all Ireland and we all know where that was lost again. This management had to much of swagger/ arrogance about them and it was rubbing of on the players I did not like the interviews they were giving either, they started to remind me of the Dublin hurlers the last few weeks certain players in the paper the whole time, let your hurling do the talking for you just like the Kk lads do.

Shocking absolutely shocking worst Ive ever seen

thurlesblues (Tipperary) - Posts: 4475 - 21/08/2012 17:26:05    1249400

Link

The Tipp team and management can be summed up like them Gremlins from the film Gremlins and to some extent Gremlins 2.

20carrolls (National) - Posts: 99 - 21/08/2012 17:31:37    1249413

Link

Some of the players have to take some responsibility too we have two midfielders who are too soft and one or two in the half forward line who wont go into the tackle but they will score handy points all day for you if they get room Kilkenny dont give that room our lads need to toughen up a bit

thurlesblues (Tipperary) - Posts: 4475 - 21/08/2012 18:45:14    1249484

Link

SEMPLE STADIUM Just reviewed some of the points you made re my contribution. Nursing any Tipperary hurler is tantamount to softness. Sheflin needed to be "nursed" besause he suffered very serious injuries. Tony Browne of Waterford does all the training even though he doesnt participate in League matches. Your citing of player management is typical modern jargon when a favoured player hasnt got the cuttin anymore. Like all underchieving teams Tipp is full of little cliques with plenty of support from the hurlers on the ditch like yourself. Blame the management and spare the favourite players. Corbetts attitude was old fashioned. You know that nonsense "class is permanent" even if you dont train and participate. Its a light switch. What a joke. George Best possibly the greatest player to play in England slipped down the divisions and oblivion with that mentality .,allied of course to other issues. The kernel of Uniteds problem was that he was over indulged and indisciplined. O`Mahoney should not be on the field if he had two broken toes. Kilkenny have been beaten by Tipperary,Dublin and Galway in the last 24 months.They are brilliant,but human,if the opposition are really up for it.

Players who hold back,are held back,or "retire" for a rest,never win All Irelands.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2225 - 22/08/2012 14:34:19    1249906

Link

Totally agree with you Trixy that kk are outstanding but beatable when a team really puts it up to them in the right fashion! But in order to do that the structure has to be there first and the mgt team has to lead! Ryan n dunne don't seem capable of this!

I am in no way in a Corbett "clique" as you say! Like I said he was as much to blame as was the mgt over the situation at the start of the year. You talk bout shefflin's injuries this yr n last yr but b4 that he wasnt wheeled out in league matches. What about all the others I mentioned?? Remember Lar missed 2-3 yrs of hurlin cos of his hamstrings.

On Sunday he was clearly following Mgt instructions n u could see he was gettin ****** off with his role! Everyone at the match was laughing at this role n unless mgt instructed him he would have been whipped off after 5mins! The nonsense of it all was unbelievable. That to me is 100% mgt fault! ! Dont think TV could show it all!

As for mahony, he doesn't pick d team, once again if the mgt don't have faith in the cover on the panel they pick, who's fault is that?? Mgt once again!

BTW are we not all hurlers on the ditch here in hoganstand :)

semplestadium (Tipperary) - Posts: 146 - 23/08/2012 10:11:19    1250324

Link