Tipperary Forum

Nenagh VS thrown out of championship

(Oldest Posts First)

I'm not sure that too many Tipp people are aware of the recent All Ireland VS semi final between Nenagh VS and rathdowney. This game was abandoned with 12 minutes to go with Nenagh leading 3-9 to 6pts. What happened is this: A rathdowney player suddenly lay down on the pitch. No offical saw any Nenagh player giving a 'dirty stroke'. Taking that this player was at one end and the ball was at the other end, don't you think the umpires would have seen something? To the disbelief of everyone concerned an ambulance had to be called. Nenagh in the meantime stayed pucking around on the pitch while rathdowney returned to the dressing room. Once the ambulance had taken the injured player away, the referee began to signal for the game to be restarted. The rathdowney team refused to return to the field. The referee then abandoned the match. Last night Nenagh were thrown out of this top tier hurling championship for vocational schools. Relatives, management and players are dumbfounded as to why. The main points are:
1.No offical saw any Nenagh player strike a rathdowney player hence the ref's report cannot say that he was struck.
2. The referee wished to restart the game but rathdowney refused to return to the field.
3. Several rathdowney supporters refused to leave the pitch despite been asked to do so by the referee and officals.
4. According to the rules, if a team does not take to the field 3 mins after recieving a warning from the ref, the game is awarded to the team on the pitch.

At a meeting of the CCCC on tues night to debate the matter, Nenagh were thrown out of the championship because they were unable to name the player who 'struck' the rathdowney player. This would be hard to do seen that nobody in the crowd or officals saw any Nenagh player giving this rathdowney player a belt. This is what baffles Nenagh people.

If anybody feels I have twisted these events, I would urge you to make a few calls and respond. I would also urge the people of North Tipp to lobby their clubs so as to mount a protest. Rembering that there are players from Toome, Smines, Portroe, Burgess, Nenagh and Kiladangan on the team. It would be a scandal if they are thrown out due to a player feigning injury.

fergo (Tipperary) - Posts: 46 - 05/04/2012 12:12:43    1144225

Link

fergo
County: Tipperary

I'm not sure that too many Tipp people are aware of the recent All Ireland VS semi final between Nenagh VS and rathdowney. This game was abandoned with 12 minutes to go with Nenagh leading 3-9 to 6pts. What happened is this: A rathdowney player suddenly lay down on the pitch. No offical saw any Nenagh player giving a 'dirty stroke'. Taking that this player was at one end and the ball was at the other end, don't you think the umpires would have seen something? To the disbelief of everyone concerned an ambulance had to be called. Nenagh in the meantime stayed pucking around on the pitch while rathdowney returned to the dressing room. Once the ambulance had taken the injured player away, the referee began to signal for the game to be restarted. The rathdowney team refused to return to the field. The referee then abandoned the match. Last night Nenagh were thrown out of this top tier hurling championship for vocational schools. Relatives, management and players are dumbfounded as to why. The main points are:
1.No offical saw any Nenagh player strike a rathdowney player hence the ref's report cannot say that he was struck.
2. The referee wished to restart the game but rathdowney refused to return to the field.
3. Several rathdowney supporters refused to leave the pitch despite been asked to do so by the referee and officals.
4. According to the rules, if a team does not take to the field 3 mins after recieving a warning from the ref, the game is awarded to the team on the pitch.

At a meeting of the CCCC on tues night to debate the matter, Nenagh were thrown out of the championship because they were unable to name the player who 'struck' the rathdowney player. This would be hard to do seen that nobody in the crowd or officals saw any Nenagh player giving this rathdowney player a belt. This is what baffles Nenagh people.

If anybody feels I have twisted these events, I would urge you to make a few calls and respond. I would also urge the people of North Tipp to lobby their clubs so as to mount a protest. Rembering that there are players from Toome, Smines, Portroe, Burgess, Nenagh and Kiladangan on the team. It would be a scandal if they are thrown out due to a player feigning injury.

Are you serious? He was hospitalized.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2511 - 06/04/2012 13:39:28    1144914

Link

Roundball,
The chap was back at school on monday morning. I mentioned that in my piece but the very PC editor decided to edit that out. He will probably edit the next bit as well. The leinster Express wrote that he was back to school and afforded a 'hero's return'. I taught in England with a bloke from Laois who went to school in rathdowney. His version, as told to him by his relations who like myself were at the match is very different but he did concede that the player was back to school on monday. You do the maths. I am not suprised there is little response to this story. Tipp people love to 'give out' but are essentiallymen of no action. Tragic.

fergo (Tipperary) - Posts: 46 - 06/04/2012 14:36:07    1144967

Link

Delighted to say that Nenagh have appealed the decision and a replay now looks the likely outcome.

fergo (Tipperary) - Posts: 46 - 07/04/2012 17:14:10    1145576

Link

you have very little knowledge on the match to be posting stuff on the internet about it..

placebo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1 - 09/04/2012 12:37:16    1146880

Link

07/04/2012 17:14:10
fergo
County: Tipperary

1145576 Delighted to say that Nenagh have appealed the decision and a replay now looks the likely outcome.

CHC have thrown the tech out of the comp. Terribly unfair on the kids involved. The tech have a right to appeal and i imagine they will take up the oppoirtunity to appeal
link

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 17/04/2012 17:37:13    1154493

Link

Justice was done.No room for thuggery.

fredrickwood (Roscommon) - Posts: 2871 - 10/05/2012 13:44:45    1169298

Link

10/05/2012 13:44:45
fredrickwood
County: Roscommon

1169298 Justice was done.No room for thuggery.

There is no room for thuggery but throwing the team out of the competition isnt a fair punishment for 1 incident.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 10/05/2012 15:11:07    1169418

Link

How did this finish Fergo?

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 24/06/2012 21:25:13    1201321

Link

24/06/2012 21:25:13
Condorman
County: Dublin

1201321 How did this finish Fergo?

St Brigids Loughrea, the winners of the other semi, were awarded the championship by the CCC

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 25/06/2012 14:29:29    1201756

Link