Limerick Forum

Limerick Football 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Yes, not beyond Limerick's reach.
Sorry for the typo."
Thanks for that,I didn't see the game as I play Petanque on Saturdays.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 704 - 31/05/2021 00:05:24    2346769

Link

Great win on Saturday, securing Division 3 status for another year. We're well capable of following Clare's example, making steady progress up the divisions.
There's now also the bonus of a game with Derry, and a chance to get promotion to Division 2. Derry looked very impressive v Cavan on Sturday- a very big, mobile team with some excellent footballers. A great opportunity to get another decent game ahead of the championship.

football first (None) - Posts: 1227 - 31/05/2021 08:59:35    2346800

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "Thanks for that,I didn't see the game as I play Petanque on Saturdays."
Had never heard of pétanque until I read your post. I checked it out online. It seems like a good way to spend a Saturday.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 391 - 31/05/2021 14:17:49    2346978

Link

Well done Limerick on a brilliant performance and win. We could have won by alot more Limerick missed 3 very good goal chances and kicked a few bad wides. A big positive is the amount of lads who got their names on the score sheet. Ian Corbett and Darragh Treacy gave an exhibition with some fantastic long range kick passing. Billy Lee and his management team deserves huge credit for the team and panel they have built given from where they started off when Billy took over, not only that they are playing a good game of football to watch. The potential is there for Limerick to have a very good football team without football and hurling getting into petty rows like in 00's with affected both panels. It was brilliant to see last January after Limerick winning the McGrath cup John Kiely running out to Billy Lee to shake his hand and congratulate him.

I was at our last meeting vs Derry in 2019 from what I can remember it was played in atrocious wet conditions and I thought the main difference between the 2 teams that day was that Derry got their scores easier than Limerick. I think Limerick should look at this as a good test against good Ulster opposition.

Also going forward I still think Josh Ryan should be considered to partner Tommy Childs in midfield and moving Darragh Treacy to the forwards. Tommy Childs had a good game against Wicklow and had most of the responsibility in winning kick outs in the middle of the field, I think Josh Ryan would be a big help to Tommy here if he gets selected. The shortened league probably affected fringe players getting game time but I would have liked to see Jim Liston, Kevin Howard, Cormac Roche, Diarmuid Kelly and Killian Ryan get a go. Also Limerick have to be more consistent from game to game a win against Tipperary was followed by a substandard performance against Offaly, after that comprehensive win against Wicklow now they have to back it up against Derry, and hopefully there will be a league final and a trophy and promotion for our lads for their efforts.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 31/05/2021 20:23:35    2347166

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Had never heard of pétanque until I read your post. I checked it out online. It seems like a good way to spend a Saturday."
Ah yeah its great fun,a very simple game that anyone can play but also there are many skilled players...pointers and shooters,its played right around the World,its originally a French game.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 704 - 31/05/2021 21:12:31    2347184

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Well done Limerick on a brilliant performance and win. We could have won by alot more Limerick missed 3 very good goal chances and kicked a few bad wides. A big positive is the amount of lads who got their names on the score sheet. Ian Corbett and Darragh Treacy gave an exhibition with some fantastic long range kick passing. Billy Lee and his management team deserves huge credit for the team and panel they have built given from where they started off when Billy took over, not only that they are playing a good game of football to watch. The potential is there for Limerick to have a very good football team without football and hurling getting into petty rows like in 00's with affected both panels. It was brilliant to see last January after Limerick winning the McGrath cup John Kiely running out to Billy Lee to shake his hand and congratulate him.

I was at our last meeting vs Derry in 2019 from what I can remember it was played in atrocious wet conditions and I thought the main difference between the 2 teams that day was that Derry got their scores easier than Limerick. I think Limerick should look at this as a good test against good Ulster opposition.

Also going forward I still think Josh Ryan should be considered to partner Tommy Childs in midfield and moving Darragh Treacy to the forwards. Tommy Childs had a good game against Wicklow and had most of the responsibility in winning kick outs in the middle of the field, I think Josh Ryan would be a big help to Tommy here if he gets selected. The shortened league probably affected fringe players getting game time but I would have liked to see Jim Liston, Kevin Howard, Cormac Roche, Diarmuid Kelly and Killian Ryan get a go. Also Limerick have to be more consistent from game to game a win against Tipperary was followed by a substandard performance against Offaly, after that comprehensive win against Wicklow now they have to back it up against Derry, and hopefully there will be a league final and a trophy and promotion for our lads for their efforts."
Limerick didn't do much wrong against Offaly. Offaly had a charmed existence when shooting for points. I think virtually every shot they to from 30-50 yards out went over the bar. How many days does that happen?

Limerick could have been better of course, but I still
think the standard of the performance, while not getting the result, was rather good.

Offaly under Maughan, have become a rather wily team; difficult to beat.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 391 - 01/06/2021 15:45:24    2347438

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Limerick didn't do much wrong against Offaly. Offaly had a charmed existence when shooting for points. I think virtually every shot they to from 30-50 yards out went over the bar. How many days does that happen?

Limerick could have been better of course, but I still
think the standard of the performance, while not getting the result, was rather good.

Offaly under Maughan, have become a rather wily team; difficult to beat."
I didn't see the Offaly game but going on the report of scoring 4 points from play is not good enough, Limerick scored 5 points from play after 15minutes against Wicklow, that's what I mean about consistency. But look you saw the Offaly game and are in a better position to judge than myself. I agree John Maughan is a brilliant manager and does well wherever he goes.

1st thing we want to see against Derry is a good level of performance and hopefully that will give us the win.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 02/06/2021 10:14:03    2347603

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "I didn't see the Offaly game but going on the report of scoring 4 points from play is not good enough, Limerick scored 5 points from play after 15minutes against Wicklow, that's what I mean about consistency. But look you saw the Offaly game and are in a better position to judge than myself. I agree John Maughan is a brilliant manager and does well wherever he goes.

1st thing we want to see against Derry is a good level of performance and hopefully that will give us the win."
Yes, hoping for a win, albeit a big ask versus Derry. In my assessment, the performance against Offaly, though Linerick lost, was better than that against Tipp, where Limerick won. But, perhaps that'd be expected, as the first day back, guys would be quite rusty. The game under the belt seemed to improve things. And that Offaly game again brought Limerick on in leaps and bounds, and had the players in fine fettle going in against Wicklow.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 391 - 02/06/2021 11:59:12    2347658

Link

Best of luck to the footballers this weekend. It's a strong team that Limerick has picked. A one point for Limk win is my prediction.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 391 - 12/06/2021 05:07:55    2349705

Link

Good luck to Limerick today,they have a great chance,I wonder how much better than Tipp and Offaly are Derry,we will know later,this Limerick team has lots of ability and are playing with confidence.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 704 - 12/06/2021 10:29:26    2349733

Link

Decent performance, despite the result. A good league campaign overall - consolidating our position in Div 3, and putting us in good shape for the championship opener v Waterford in two weeks time.

football first (None) - Posts: 1227 - 13/06/2021 09:03:06    2350074

Link

Im happy with retaining division 3 status, I'm happy with progress and the direction the team is going. But on yesterday's performance I would criticise a few things, but firstly Derry are a good team no shame in losing to them they were the better team on the day and their full forward line won it for them I feel. In fairness our lads overall gave a decent account of themselves and did well, but where improvements need to be worked on after yesterday I think are, Derry looked very dangerous when they ran at Limerick, Limerick players have to be quicker closing down runs and tackling runners on the ball. Passing and distribution of the ball and decision making was suspect at times, there was a too many mis-placed passes in forwards at crucial times and Limerick went for goals too early with 10 minutes to go when they should have taken the points on offer and keep close as possible with Derry on the score board, even at times near the end our lads played for frees instead of taking on a shot. I won't name players but a few were below their best and I do believe when the team look back at the game they will feel there was more in themselves and they will learn from it.

Enough of negatives there is alot of positives to take from the game too. As a collective Limerick made sure Derry never pulled too far ahead and gave them a good game of it. Hugh Bourke is looking a fine footballer and Tommy Childs is looking like a good mid-field player and made a brilliant block in the first half, the only thing I would like to see him improve on is he just looks a bit stuck to the ground with competing for a high ball, he is a big guy if he can improve his jumping and fielding he would be a top player. Donal O'Sullivan in the goal pulled off 2 top drawer saves to keep us in the game. Darragh Treacy,Robbie Bourke and Ian Corbett did very well I thought too. I have said Josh Ryan should be given more game time and yesterday he showed why he was a danger with his size around the goal and his long range frees are a big asset. Paul Maher tightened up the full back line when he was introduced too, this is where I still think Jim Liston should be be on the bench at least, our full back was in trouble for some periods in the game and I think he would be capable of helping out here.

The team is going in the right direction but there is plenty to be worked on and hopefully there is a few young fella's in the underage system that can come in to freshen and improve the team in the near future.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 13/06/2021 12:18:54    2350149

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Im happy with retaining division 3 status, I'm happy with progress and the direction the team is going. But on yesterday's performance I would criticise a few things, but firstly Derry are a good team no shame in losing to them they were the better team on the day and their full forward line won it for them I feel. In fairness our lads overall gave a decent account of themselves and did well, but where improvements need to be worked on after yesterday I think are, Derry looked very dangerous when they ran at Limerick, Limerick players have to be quicker closing down runs and tackling runners on the ball. Passing and distribution of the ball and decision making was suspect at times, there was a too many mis-placed passes in forwards at crucial times and Limerick went for goals too early with 10 minutes to go when they should have taken the points on offer and keep close as possible with Derry on the score board, even at times near the end our lads played for frees instead of taking on a shot. I won't name players but a few were below their best and I do believe when the team look back at the game they will feel there was more in themselves and they will learn from it.

Enough of negatives there is alot of positives to take from the game too. As a collective Limerick made sure Derry never pulled too far ahead and gave them a good game of it. Hugh Bourke is looking a fine footballer and Tommy Childs is looking like a good mid-field player and made a brilliant block in the first half, the only thing I would like to see him improve on is he just looks a bit stuck to the ground with competing for a high ball, he is a big guy if he can improve his jumping and fielding he would be a top player. Donal O'Sullivan in the goal pulled off 2 top drawer saves to keep us in the game. Darragh Treacy,Robbie Bourke and Ian Corbett did very well I thought too. I have said Josh Ryan should be given more game time and yesterday he showed why he was a danger with his size around the goal and his long range frees are a big asset. Paul Maher tightened up the full back line when he was introduced too, this is where I still think Jim Liston should be be on the bench at least, our full back was in trouble for some periods in the game and I think he would be capable of helping out here.

The team is going in the right direction but there is plenty to be worked on and hopefully there is a few young fella's in the underage system that can come in to freshen and improve the team in the near future."
That's a good report on the game.When Derry ran from deep Limerick were unable to lay a hand on the player in possession,I couldn't make up my mind whether it was the covering formation or the lack of speed to keep apace with the player in possession that was the problem.Derry got two great points from acute angles in the second half..one free and one from play and Limerick handed them a point with an unforced possession error.Two good saves by Limerick keeper and unlucky with the Limerick shot on goal that went off the crossbar for a point with the Derry keeper beaten.Derry were the better team and deserved their win,Limerick kept in the game for a long time.
All in all a very good league for Limerick and consolidating their position in Div 3 was a good achievement,onwards and upwards.Thanks to the team and management for some entertaining football,there's more to come hopefully.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 704 - 13/06/2021 22:31:11    2350543

Link