Limerick Forum

Limerick's New Commemorative Jersey

(Oldest Posts First)

Well lads what do ye think of the new jersey. Personally I think it's a let down, compared to the Cork commemorative jersey from last year, ours is plain and boring with no imagination, it just like a hooped goalkeeper jersey with a picture of the Liam McCarthy cup on the sleeves. Whoever it was who designed it within the county board must have no creative spark at all.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 916 - 08/03/2021 20:43:21    2333734

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Well lads what do ye think of the new jersey. Personally I think it's a let down, compared to the Cork commemorative jersey from last year, ours is plain and boring with no imagination, it just like a hooped goalkeeper jersey with a picture of the Liam McCarthy cup on the sleeves. Whoever it was who designed it within the county board must have no creative spark at all."
Have to agree. It's fairly uninspiring alright.
I mean, it's a nice version of the goalie Jersey in itself but to commemorate something unique like the 100 yrs since winning the all Ireland, Liam Mccarthy Cup etc its a bit bland.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 814 - 09/03/2021 12:08:12    2333756

Link

I think its a fine Jersey. Looks a little shapeless on Hegarty and Hayes but a fine Jersey. I for one am happy that the images of the murdered Mayor's aren't on the Jersey. It's not appropriate in any way. The recognising their loss officially has been done and it would be almost necrophilia to go further. The republican element would love it but for me no thanks. I like the gold crest.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1424 - 10/03/2021 08:07:30    2333795

Link

To be fair i think its nice enough but very neutral for commemorating 1921 , Cork for example commemorated Tererence Mcsweeney Mayor of Cork on their jersey who died in the war of independence , we have a cup on ours , i wonder if we hadnt won the all ireland what we would have put on jersey. The two mayors of Limerick killed in 1921 who had deep GAA involvements would have been quite appropriate.

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 325 - 10/03/2021 08:57:22    2333797

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think its a fine Jersey. Looks a little shapeless on Hegarty and Hayes but a fine Jersey. I for one am happy that the images of the murdered Mayor's aren't on the Jersey. It's not appropriate in any way. The recognising their loss officially has been done and it would be almost necrophilia to go further. The republican element would love it but for me no thanks. I like the gold crest."
I agree it does look a bit shapeless but it's based off what they wore in the 1921 All-Ireland.
As for your comment about the Republican element I would remind you these 2 men were lawfully elected mayors of Limerick who were murdered by the army of the government who were ruling this country. Maybe that is acceptable to you that Irish people should have bowed down to our British masters and let them commit atrocities against Irish people but I think we all owe these great patriots our gratitude.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 482 - 10/03/2021 20:39:41    2333845

Link

Replying To updwell:  "I agree it does look a bit shapeless but it's based off what they wore in the 1921 All-Ireland.
As for your comment about the Republican element I would remind you these 2 men were lawfully elected mayors of Limerick who were murdered by the army of the government who were ruling this country. Maybe that is acceptable to you that Irish people should have bowed down to our British masters and let them commit atrocities against Irish people but I think we all owe these great patriots our gratitude."
I think you should re read my take on it because it seems you've gone off on a tangent. You've lost the plot. I said it's enough that the two 'murdered' men were officially commemorated but I didn't want their images on the Jersey. It would be tastless and the jersey could be hi jacked by the republican movement to further their goals. You went off and went down the rabbitt hole of 'British masters' atrocities ect... Silly stuff

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1424 - 11/03/2021 10:13:54    2333874

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think its a fine Jersey. Looks a little shapeless on Hegarty and Hayes but a fine Jersey. I for one am happy that the images of the murdered Mayor's aren't on the Jersey. It's not appropriate in any way. The recognising their loss officially has been done and it would be almost necrophilia to go further. The republican element would love it but for me no thanks. I like the gold crest."
The Jersey is only alright it's just a variation of the goalkeeper jersey, alot more could have being done with it, even Buff Egan had a picture of the 1921 Limerick team on Snapchat yesterday that could have being incorporated on the jersey it was a lazy effort from the county board.

On George clancy, Michael O'Callaghan and Joseph O'Donaghue being depicted on the jersey would have being no way inappropriate, why just in case a few up north get wind of it and throw a hissy fit? And for you to describe having their images on the jersey as "almost necrophilia" is a false exaggerated comparison and to be honest a bit disgusting and sick.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 916 - 11/03/2021 12:19:41    2333892

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think you should re read my take on it because it seems you've gone off on a tangent. You've lost the plot. I said it's enough that the two 'murdered' men were officially commemorated but I didn't want their images on the Jersey. It would be tastless and the jersey could be hi jacked by the republican movement to further their goals. You went off and went down the rabbitt hole of 'British masters' atrocities ect... Silly stuff"
Well what happened during the War of Independence was far from 'silly stuff' and calling it out as atrocities is only giving it it's proper description. Enough of commentators in this country correctly attack Republican atrocities but seem to have an no issue with British war crimes. The men commemorated with the jersey were Republican and should be celebrated for that but people in this country are mature and educated enough to know that a Republican in 1921 was a lot different from a Republican in 1981 and Republicans have changed again in 2021. As for the jersey it could be a lot better.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 482 - 11/03/2021 21:13:16    2333928

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think you should re read my take on it because it seems you've gone off on a tangent. You've lost the plot. I said it's enough that the two 'murdered' men were officially commemorated but I didn't want their images on the Jersey. It would be tastless and the jersey could be hi jacked by the republican movement to further their goals. You went off and went down the rabbitt hole of 'British masters' atrocities ect... Silly stuff"
Just wondering why you put the word murdered in quotation marks? Are you suggesting they weren't?

football first (None) - Posts: 1227 - 11/03/2021 22:20:57    2333937

Link

I saw the Cork version at the league match in 2020 (happy memories) and I thought that they were very well done. I'm disappointed with the Limerick version which looks very unremarkable to me. To put like this, I don't see myself rushing out to get one to replace my "Sporting Limerick" version although I wouldn't mind getting a version that doesn't emphasis my sturdy gut as much as the current one does.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 761 - 12/03/2021 13:32:54    2333984

Link

Replying To updwell:  "Well what happened during the War of Independence was far from 'silly stuff' and calling it out as atrocities is only giving it it's proper description. Enough of commentators in this country correctly attack Republican atrocities but seem to have an no issue with British war crimes. The men commemorated with the jersey were Republican and should be celebrated for that but people in this country are mature and educated enough to know that a Republican in 1921 was a lot different from a Republican in 1981 and Republicans have changed again in 2021. As for the jersey it could be a lot better."
Republicans in 1921 and 1981 all have the same principle , get rid of British rule. I can guarantee you if Limerick was one of the present 6 occupied counties plenty in Limerick would be involved in the struggle similar to what went on in Armagh or Tyrone. Its all very well looking back at 1921 with rose tinted glasses , people were killed on all sides similar to the recent troubles.

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 325 - 12/03/2021 16:43:34    2334009

Link

The above post is a misrepresentation of what I said. And to top it off it makes no sense but a republican viewpoint always seems to get through the mods even if it's factually incorrect

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1424 - 16/03/2021 21:45:57    2334360

Link