Limerick Forum

Limerick Hurling 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Mads:  "I think that will be the starting line up also. I think Richie is getting better and better with more game time. He had such a long injury lay off it was bound to take its time.
This is very hard on Barry Nash who has had an excellent league campaign overall. But without being condescending to the lad if we need something different in a game he's an excellent option to come on and to change a game and not just act as additional full back line cover. He could be called upon to fire Kyle up with the half forwards if required. He's so versatile he could probably play anywhere."
I can't see Barry Nash being left out. He has too much Credit in the bank since KK game in 2019. He really didn't put a foot wrong in the last two years. Went from the forwards to no. 7 to no. 4 flawlessly. JK always seems to adopt the attitude that the jersey is yours to loose!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 319 - 10/06/2021 19:54:17    2349451

Link

I'd love to see us go for the jugular v cork they score goals cos they run at defences no reason we couldn't do that either I'd argue we're better served to do it cos we can win a ball in hf line turn and go can you imagine say tom winning the ball turning and having lynch or o donovan or hayes on his shoulder popping off a pass to a team mate that's flying we don't have to work it up from way out like cork do.
If they wanted they could try it even an odd time in the first few minutes if nothing else it mixes up our play and makes cork think a little more

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1093 - 10/06/2021 23:12:59    2349490

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I can't see Barry Nash being left out. He has too much Credit in the bank since KK game in 2019. He really didn't put a foot wrong in the last two years. Went from the forwards to no. 7 to no. 4 flawlessly. JK always seems to adopt the attitude that the jersey is yours to loose!"
I think it will be Barry Nash too. Would be tough to drop him, he's been so composed and assured back there and gels well with Finn invariably playing the free role against a two man inside forward line.
Hopefully Finn will be back and fit we've almost taken his brilliance and consistency for granted over the past few years

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 202 - 10/06/2021 23:57:26    2349502

Link

I think Limerick will beat Cork well and win Munster again. Then its between yourselves, Galway and Tipp for the big one.

There has been a lot of rubbish written lately about the state of the game, frees, fouling etc but the irony is that if the game was 15v15 'traditional' I think Limerick would still win. Right now ye have a great balance between hurling, power and athleticism. And a fantastic coaching team. The squad depth is very good and they have the ability to win 4 or 5 All Irelands.

I would say that last thought is what is making a lot of the pundits and experts from the traditional counties a bit nervous, thus all the moaning. It was the same with Clare in the 90s and Galway in the 80s. As long as Limerick keep their eye on the ball they will be around for a long time yet.

I am a Clare man obviously and the rivalry between us is intense at times but I think this Limerick team, mgmt group and the board deserve huge credit for getting themselves into such fantastic shape. Hats off to them.

Compared to the shambles in my own county off the field and the list of good hurlers not making themselves available to Lohan really rams it home how far off we have fallen.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1037 - 11/06/2021 09:03:35    2349521

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "I think Limerick will beat Cork well and win Munster again. Then its between yourselves, Galway and Tipp for the big one.

There has been a lot of rubbish written lately about the state of the game, frees, fouling etc but the irony is that if the game was 15v15 'traditional' I think Limerick would still win. Right now ye have a great balance between hurling, power and athleticism. And a fantastic coaching team. The squad depth is very good and they have the ability to win 4 or 5 All Irelands.

I would say that last thought is what is making a lot of the pundits and experts from the traditional counties a bit nervous, thus all the moaning. It was the same with Clare in the 90s and Galway in the 80s. As long as Limerick keep their eye on the ball they will be around for a long time yet.

I am a Clare man obviously and the rivalry between us is intense at times but I think this Limerick team, mgmt group and the board deserve huge credit for getting themselves into such fantastic shape. Hats off to them.

Compared to the shambles in my own county off the field and the list of good hurlers not making themselves available to Lohan really rams it home how far off we have fallen."
Very kind post to us Limerick fans Clareman. Thanks for that!

I think all the talk of rule and Sliotar changes is a bit baffling? If we look at what has clearly changed in the last 20 years my thoughts are as follows;

THE TACKLE CHANGES
If you look at the fabulous kilkenny teams from say 05-15 they were extremely physical - on the edge stuff which most of us loved. The 09 All Ireland final, while being a great game, was one of the most physical games in the modern era. There was no such thing as HIA at the time but if there was 4-5 lads would have been replaced. It was bordering on dangerous. The likes of Tipp and Galway then became stronger and more physical to match them. Shoulders into the chest and other types of body checks became commonplace. This was then more or less outlawed. Richie Hogan's sending off in 2019 epitomised this. The same tackle in 2009 wouldn't have been a free! So teams look for different ways to tackle thus the use of the spare hand. Is it a free, of course it is. But teams will always adapt and look for an edge. So Croke Park need to realise that there is always a knock on effect. The change in the advantage rule change seems to have reverted straight back to what it was - sensibly. The cynical foul rule, while is a great ideal, it's being refereed rather inconsistently. That's ok when it's the league but inconsistencies in a tight championship game will cause problems.

THE POSSESSION GAME
Probably first introduced by Cork in 04/05 this has changed hurling. And it's not going away. If you watch any back nowadays that blasts the ball out of defence to "clear his lines" it invariably goes to an opposition player. Even the sideline cut has changed in the last two years. The long 40mtr sideline cut has more or less gone - unless of course the player is going for a point. Most sidelines are now quick flicks. So we have to embrace the possession game as it's here to stay.

S&C
The last 12/13 years has seen huge transformation in the body shape shape and strength. With the introduction of "professional" levels of sports nutrition and science this is only going to get better. Probably a pity to bring in such high levels in an amateur sport but it's only going to improve. The huge strength in the legs and upper body strength enables the possession game even more. Again do we embrace it? If not how can this change?

THE EQUIPMENT
I dont think the sliotar weight has changed from when I started my senior club career back in 1990. The rims have changed and it's almost waterproof. But on a dry day I cant see the old rims making that much of a difference? What I don't know is if the internal cork has changed. I do remember some sliotars had a ball of twine. Maybe this is the difference? Im not sure. What we do know is that the hurley bos had got bigger. I would be more inclined to make bos smaller rather than interfere with the sliotar. Croke park could possibly standardise the hurley size? A heavier sliotar could be a H&S issue!

SKILL LEVELS
Skill levels are gone through the roof. Scoring a point from 70-80 meters takes phenomenal skill. Some of the scores by Hego, Tom, Aaron and Seamus in last years All ireland final where just outrageous- that's not to mention Tony Kelly, Canning and the likes! The skill level involved in the way Limerick play is mind blowing. They are so good they can work the ball through 3-4-5 crisp passes and over the bar. It's brilliant when it's your own team doing it but fans on the loosing teams are saying it's destroying hurling.

Many questions remain. I do know that this current Limerick bunch have brought all the above to new levels. The question is has it improved or damaged hurling? You decide?

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 319 - 11/06/2021 18:32:33    2349645

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "I think Limerick will beat Cork well and win Munster again. Then its between yourselves, Galway and Tipp for the big one.

Compared to the shambles in my own county off the field and the list of good hurlers not making themselves available to Lohan really rams it home how far off we have fallen."
Thanks Clareman. as usual a very fair assessment from yourself and I think you are hitting the nail in the sweet spot. I have always great times for Clare teams, I was in Croke Park in '95,'97' 02 and '13 (replay), even though I do not attend that many finals, except Limerick are involved, and especially for their supporters and I hope Clare will return to former glories in the not too distant future

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 11/06/2021 19:04:30    2349647

Link

Another interesting mix this weekend. The forwards look particularly strong. Conor Boylan is getting another run out which will give him confidence. Nice to see Mulcahy get a run out. Hope his recent ankle injury doesn't flare up. For that matter I really hope there are no serious injuries between now and championship. Surprised D Morrissey didn't start at full back. Haven't seen him in many games this year. Maybe he also was nursing an injury

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 255 - 11/06/2021 22:11:27    2349676

Link

Lads anyone know can we go to the match in Mullingar tomorrow? I've not seen tickets advertised for any game anywhere but there's been crowds in all weekend

Treatyman18 (Limerick) - Posts: 1 - 12/06/2021 17:14:14    2349843

Link

How far away is Mike Casey? It's abit odd that Dan Morrissey isn't playing today after not playing against Cork. I think it would be good to see some serious interplay with getting goals the outcome. And if Boylan got 4 or 5 points he'd become a 'starter' option.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1426 - 13/06/2021 12:04:31    2350143

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "Very kind post to us Limerick fans Clareman. Thanks for that!

I think all the talk of rule and Sliotar changes is a bit baffling? If we look at what has clearly changed in the last 20 years my thoughts are as follows;

THE TACKLE CHANGES
If you look at the fabulous kilkenny teams from say 05-15 they were extremely physical - on the edge stuff which most of us loved. The 09 All Ireland final, while being a great game, was one of the most physical games in the modern era. There was no such thing as HIA at the time but if there was 4-5 lads would have been replaced. It was bordering on dangerous. The likes of Tipp and Galway then became stronger and more physical to match them. Shoulders into the chest and other types of body checks became commonplace. This was then more or less outlawed. Richie Hogan's sending off in 2019 epitomised this. The same tackle in 2009 wouldn't have been a free! So teams look for different ways to tackle thus the use of the spare hand. Is it a free, of course it is. But teams will always adapt and look for an edge. So Croke Park need to realise that there is always a knock on effect. The change in the advantage rule change seems to have reverted straight back to what it was - sensibly. The cynical foul rule, while is a great ideal, it's being refereed rather inconsistently. That's ok when it's the league but inconsistencies in a tight championship game will cause problems.

THE POSSESSION GAME
Probably first introduced by Cork in 04/05 this has changed hurling. And it's not going away. If you watch any back nowadays that blasts the ball out of defence to "clear his lines" it invariably goes to an opposition player. Even the sideline cut has changed in the last two years. The long 40mtr sideline cut has more or less gone - unless of course the player is going for a point. Most sidelines are now quick flicks. So we have to embrace the possession game as it's here to stay.

S&C
The last 12/13 years has seen huge transformation in the body shape shape and strength. With the introduction of "professional" levels of sports nutrition and science this is only going to get better. Probably a pity to bring in such high levels in an amateur sport but it's only going to improve. The huge strength in the legs and upper body strength enables the possession game even more. Again do we embrace it? If not how can this change?

THE EQUIPMENT
I dont think the sliotar weight has changed from when I started my senior club career back in 1990. The rims have changed and it's almost waterproof. But on a dry day I cant see the old rims making that much of a difference? What I don't know is if the internal cork has changed. I do remember some sliotars had a ball of twine. Maybe this is the difference? Im not sure. What we do know is that the hurley bos had got bigger. I would be more inclined to make bos smaller rather than interfere with the sliotar. Croke park could possibly standardise the hurley size? A heavier sliotar could be a H&S issue!

SKILL LEVELS
Skill levels are gone through the roof. Scoring a point from 70-80 meters takes phenomenal skill. Some of the scores by Hego, Tom, Aaron and Seamus in last years All ireland final where just outrageous- that's not to mention Tony Kelly, Canning and the likes! The skill level involved in the way Limerick play is mind blowing. They are so good they can work the ball through 3-4-5 crisp passes and over the bar. It's brilliant when it's your own team doing it but fans on the loosing teams are saying it's destroying hurling.

Many questions remain. I do know that this current Limerick bunch have brought all the above to new levels. The question is has it improved or damaged hurling? You decide?"
Fantastic post. My own thoughts are that we have to get to a point of general acceptance around discipline standards. That means that everyone aligns to implementation of the rules consistently across all grades of hurling both club and county. We shouldn't see a massive disparity in the manner in which playing rules are policed between club and county games. Eventually, this should help hurling as it facilitates the better players in demonstrating their skills which is why I have no worries about the impact on the current Limerick team. Their advantages in skills and physique would be emphasized as Limerick will adapt quickly.

My biggest bugbear right now is with corner forwards strolling back into their own half back line to score frees from way inside their own half. Maybe the answer is to standardize equipment to limit this but another idea is to only grant a team a 30 second window to take their free unless exceptional circumstances such as an injury or a penalty? The length of time taken up with this practice is ridiculous.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 762 - 13/06/2021 13:02:23    2350170

Link

Lads this is terrible it's like watching the Limerick team of the 00's doing just about enough to beat a weaker team. Im also sick of watching Aaron Gillane and Seamus Flanagan continuously missing their goal chances every game, I'd say there isn't a hurler in the country who loses his hurley more than Aaron Gillane. There has to be a reaction in the 2nd half because this is nowhere near good enough for a team that has a championship game in 3 weeks and are looking to retain an all-Ireland.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 13/06/2021 14:33:08    2350197

Link

We pulled away in the 3rd quarter up til then we were not good enough, the introduction of a few off the bench gave us the energy to pull away and at least we scored 3 goals but we should have scored at least another 3. There was lads who would be looking to put up their hand for contention didn't do themselves justice today. Big improvement for Cork in the championship is needed but look it it was a fringe team a such playing for us. Now I really don't mean to be having a go at Aaron Gillane but this is a guy who has the potential to be 1 of the country's best forwards but he needs to get the finger out, he is far too casual during play and has a the tendency to miss the odd handy free. A guy with his ability and talent should be going to town against a team like Westmeath(with respect to them).

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 13/06/2021 15:42:59    2350218

Link

Well a win is a win,
One thing is for certain kiely and kinerk are clearly taking the panel to hell and back all week,
They looked like they had those ankle and wrist weights on today, exhausted physically and mentally out there it was simply a cool down end of a tough week game nothing more nothing less.
The only player who created any excitement for me was pat Ryan everytime he got they ball he had goal on his mind full of running. Either pat didn't train hard enough or he is super fit I think it's the later lol.

It is hard to get up for a game like that no disrespect to the opposition but it meant nothing
I'm just hoping we got through it without serious knocks Kyle looked a little uncomfortable going off
But precautionary I'd say.
I am hugely confident there's savage preparation going on for July and completion for every single position. Let's hope we don't see them getting slated by the usual suspects on here.
Roll on July.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 88 - 13/06/2021 15:45:12    2350219

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Lads this is terrible it's like watching the Limerick team of the 00's doing just about enough to beat a weaker team. Im also sick of watching Aaron Gillane and Seamus Flanagan continuously missing their goal chances every game, I'd say there isn't a hurler in the country who loses his hurley more than Aaron Gillane. There has to be a reaction in the 2nd half because this is nowhere near good enough for a team that has a championship game in 3 weeks and are looking to retain an all-Ireland."
You don't think the lads were not flat out all week in preparation for the championship?
You don't think they looked fatigued out there today for a reason? Really?
Oh by the way they won, unlike a lot of the games in the 00 s.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 88 - 13/06/2021 15:50:48    2350223

Link

I don't want to be harsh o ag either..if as everyone says he's one of top hurlers in country,then I think he must up his work rate seriously..tony Kelly,conor whelan,tj and Stephen Bennett work their socks off all the time,I'd like to see more from ag..Richie May have cemented his starting place after today..Kyle seemed to be back to his best today..maybe 3 positions to be decided midfield,Centre forward and corner forward..3 weeks to go and I think we are facing another cracker..any news on what's wrong with diarmaid?

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1232 - 13/06/2021 16:49:34    2350274

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "I don't want to be harsh o ag either..if as everyone says he's one of top hurlers in country,then I think he must up his work rate seriously..tony Kelly,conor whelan,tj and Stephen Bennett work their socks off all the time,I'd like to see more from ag..Richie May have cemented his starting place after today..Kyle seemed to be back to his best today..maybe 3 positions to be decided midfield,Centre forward and corner forward..3 weeks to go and I think we are facing another cracker..any news on what's wrong with diarmaid?"
Gillane is a hard working player, how often is the ball just banged out in front of his channel and he gains possession . If he improved his shooting accuracy just a touch more and added a few goals (the weakness in his game) he would be up there as one of the best. He has all the ability in the world.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 202 - 13/06/2021 20:14:15    2350445

Link

Definitely would have thought based on our starting full forward line that there definitely would have been a couple of goals taken earlier. Aside from Hegarty missing, that was a strong front 6 named. Credit to Westmeath, the scoreline definitely flattered us in the finish.
Listening to JK afterwards it does sound like the lads are doing heavy work in training. Nice to hear that he felt they got a lot out of the league. It might take until next year to realise this when the likes of Coughlan, O'Neill get a run of games. They will always look at this league as their debuts.
Probably a bit of a worry is the fact that John alluded to feeling that we were still a little behind other teams in terms of preparation. There's only 3 weeks to go to championship! At the end of the day trust has to be shown to JK, PK &the strength and conditioning teams that the timing will be bang on. This is justified after the silverware won over the last 3 seasons.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 255 - 13/06/2021 20:51:45    2350485

Link