Limerick Forum

The Limerick Dugout/Bench 1980

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Dealer:  "Our two corner backs got roasted alive. Our half forward line couldn't score in a brothel (not helped by the fact that two of them were priests). David Punch was destroyed in midfield and our half backs struggled. It's still a mystery why they took off Mossie Carroll at center back with the carnage going on all around him but who then sulked and played with Tipperary in 1991. If he'd stayed, he would have an All Ireland medal now.

Yet we would have still have won the game but for a wonderful hook by Conor Hayes on McKenna mainly because of the brilliance of Eamon Cregan. He was phenomenal in that final.

The Jap was amazing character and in my eyes he personified the spirit of County Limerick. Pure passion and full of fun with hurling and dogs. I miss these characters from my youth who are all now long gone. But their spirit still runs through the county as we all saw last year and will again with this magnificent current team of ours."
Dealer
I was in the company to one of those 'two priests', whom yo snidely refer to, at the post match event that was held in the Green Isle Hotel. He said that if himself and Pat Herbert were in the corner back positions the Galway corner would have, shall been easily talked about. The following year those two men were in the corner back positions, in the drawn game, and the same two corner forwards got a single point between them. In 88 when Enright and these two boys with all three past their mid thirties they made up our full back line and the then much vaunted Tipp Full Forward Line failed to get a single goal of them, despite huge pressure. The following year, against the same opposition, with three new Full backs four goals were conceded. I rest my case.
I agree Cregan had a brilliant game and Carroll should should not have been off. However the concession of two soft goals early in that game did not help either

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 14/11/2019 12:10:19    2249595

Link

im back, still any ideas anyone?

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 540 - 23/11/2020 14:11:47    2313992

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Dealer
I was in the company to one of those 'two priests', whom yo snidely refer to, at the post match event that was held in the Green Isle Hotel. He said that if himself and Pat Herbert were in the corner back positions the Galway corner would have, shall been easily talked about. The following year those two men were in the corner back positions, in the drawn game, and the same two corner forwards got a single point between them. In 88 when Enright and these two boys with all three past their mid thirties they made up our full back line and the then much vaunted Tipp Full Forward Line failed to get a single goal of them, despite huge pressure. The following year, against the same opposition, with three new Full backs four goals were conceded. I rest my case.
I agree Cregan had a brilliant game and Carroll should should not have been off. However the concession of two soft goals early in that game did not help either"
And Paddy Kelly and Frankie Nolan weren't even on the panel that year

johnocarroll17 (Limerick) - Posts: 157 - 24/11/2020 22:07:49    2315019

Link

Replying To johnocarroll17:  "And Paddy Kelly and Frankie Nolan weren't even on the panel that year"
I didn't intend to be snide about the two Fitzmaurice's. It's a remarkable scenario in a modern context to have two brothers who are both priests playing senior hurling in the one line in an All Ireland final. I don't believe that there's any priest playing senior hurling for anyone right now.

The issue with the selection of both Fitzmaurice's and John Flanagan is that it left is with three work horses in that line. The idea was that they would horse the Galway half back line out of it but it didn't happen. David Punch was struggling in center field and our two corner backs were getting torched.

Willie gave great service as a hard working forward in the late 1970's. Paudie went corner back in 1981 and won an All Star in that position subsequently. Pat Herbert deserved one but didn't get it. Limerick have consistently produced excellent corner backs.

If Limerick had played Paudie and Herbert at corner back, moved Dom Punch to wing back, moved Liam O'Donoghue back to wing forward and played Paddy Kelly as the other wing forward, you'd probably have a different result. I know that's wishes upon wishes and you don't get to rerun history. You also had fantastic players like Mike Grimes, Joe Grimes, Jackie McCarthy, Frankie Nolan, Bomber Carroll, Johnny Neenan, Mike Barron, Frankie Nolan who I don't think were even on the panel that year. Maybe Bomber was?

It was a very rich generation of talent that didn't get the big break to win the big one but I've fond memories of those teams.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 761 - 26/11/2020 18:00:22    2315695

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "I didn't intend to be snide about the two Fitzmaurice's. It's a remarkable scenario in a modern context to have two brothers who are both priests playing senior hurling in the one line in an All Ireland final. I don't believe that there's any priest playing senior hurling for anyone right now.

The issue with the selection of both Fitzmaurice's and John Flanagan is that it left is with three work horses in that line. The idea was that they would horse the Galway half back line out of it but it didn't happen. David Punch was struggling in center field and our two corner backs were getting torched.

Willie gave great service as a hard working forward in the late 1970's. Paudie went corner back in 1981 and won an All Star in that position subsequently. Pat Herbert deserved one but didn't get it. Limerick have consistently produced excellent corner backs.

If Limerick had played Paudie and Herbert at corner back, moved Dom Punch to wing back, moved Liam O'Donoghue back to wing forward and played Paddy Kelly as the other wing forward, you'd probably have a different result. I know that's wishes upon wishes and you don't get to rerun history. You also had fantastic players like Mike Grimes, Joe Grimes, Jackie McCarthy, Frankie Nolan, Bomber Carroll, Johnny Neenan, Mike Barron, Frankie Nolan who I don't think were even on the panel that year. Maybe Bomber was?

It was a very rich generation of talent that didn't get the big break to win the big one but I've fond memories of those teams."
Bomber came on as a sub and scored a point

johnocarroll17 (Limerick) - Posts: 157 - 27/11/2020 11:26:37    2315885

Link