Kerry Forum

Kerrys Greatest Ever Forward

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To JackMurphy:  "Somebody asked the question on another forum about Gooch's scores from play in championship intercounty.
He scored 23goals and 283 points ( total ) 352 but there's no breakdown on how the scores were achieved.

The leading scorer in the country is Cillian O Connor Mayo with 28-325 (total 409) but 70% appprox of these were frees
8-224 . It's being said that Gooch has scored more from play than O Connor?

Any statistician here to clarify this ?"
I have nt hit the stats but Gooch would ve scored aot from play especially in his first few years as dara Ó Cinnéide was the free taker and penalty taker
Cillian Ó Connor was always Mayos free taker and penalty taker so if I was a betti g man I'd say Gooch scored more from play.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 705 - 01/12/2020 19:40:20    2317440

Link

Replying To JackMurphy:  "Somebody asked the question on another forum about Gooch's scores from play in championship intercounty.
He scored 23goals and 283 points ( total ) 352 but there's no breakdown on how the scores were achieved.

The leading scorer in the country is Cillian O Connor Mayo with 28-325 (total 409) but 70% appprox of these were frees
8-224 . It's being said that Gooch has scored more from play than O Connor?

Any statistician here to clarify this ?"
Ya Gooch wouldn't have had too many penalties in his total, he wasn't great from the spot I seen him take a few in the league , I remember darran Ó'Sullivan took a penalty for us v Meath in 09 semifinal, we don't really get a lot of penaltys when I think of it, we got 2 v Mayo in 14 replay 1 in last years final we got 1 v Down in 2010 quarters but that was only a consolation score that Moran scored,

Did we only get 4 championship penalties in the last 12 years or more?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11826 - 01/12/2020 20:41:05    2317452

Link

Top three scoring Forwards in Kerry, according to stats are Mikey Sheehy , Colm Cooper and then Maurice Fitz..... And that's my too three in that order... Mick O Dwyer is No.4 on the list funnily enough.....

A fantastic website for breakdown of Kerry players appearances scores etc. Is terrace talk, thankfully some one is still updating the page even though Wessie has past on.

The answer to the breakdown if gooch's scoring can be found at
https://www.terracetalk.com/kerry-football/player/29/Colm-Cooper

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 87 - 01/12/2020 21:42:05    2317484

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Top three scoring Forwards in Kerry, according to stats are Mikey Sheehy , Colm Cooper and then Maurice Fitz..... And that's my too three in that order... Mick O Dwyer is No.4 on the list funnily enough.....

A fantastic website for breakdown of Kerry players appearances scores etc. Is terrace talk, thankfully some one is still updating the page even though Wessie has past on.

The answer to the breakdown if gooch's scoring can be found at
https://www.terracetalk.com/kerry-football/player/29/Colm-Cooper"
Nice 1 kerrymanstuckindonegal would it tell us how many penalties kerry have gotten in the last 10-15 years.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11826 - 01/12/2020 22:07:08    2317487

Link

Thanks for replies lads but the Terrace talk stats don't give the breakdown of frees and from play.
I wonder does he know himself?
One would think that the GAA website would have these stats at the push of a button but if they have
it's buried so deep we cant find it.
I will post it here if i can find it.
I have a feeling Gooch scored more from play but it's very likely O Connor will catch up and pass him
as he's still active and will continue for a while longer.

JackMurphy (Cork) - Posts: 17 - 02/12/2020 00:31:23    2317533

Link

Replying To JackMurphy:  "Thanks for replies lads but the Terrace talk stats don't give the breakdown of frees and from play.
I wonder does he know himself?
One would think that the GAA website would have these stats at the push of a button but if they have
it's buried so deep we cant find it.
I will post it here if i can find it.
I have a feeling Gooch scored more from play but it's very likely O Connor will catch up and pass him
as he's still active and will continue for a while longer."
Defo Gooch scored more from play as Gooch was not our sole free taker at any point in his career, unlike COC.

Bryan Sheehan, Declan O'Sullivan etc would all have taken frees depending on where it was given on the field.

I'm sure someone somewhere has an idea of the actual stats. I'd try the Kerry GAA forum on the Kerry website, there's fella's on there that would surely have a good idea.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5847 - 02/12/2020 09:57:13    2317575

Link

I just checked the all time top list of championship scorers. Cillian ó Connor leads the group. However Pat Spillane comes in at no. 25 and he is the only one on the list that did nt take frees or penalties. His scoring record is all the more impressive considering he spent most of his career as a half forward and did alot of defensive work.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 705 - 02/12/2020 17:33:41    2317735

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I just checked the all time top list of championship scorers. Cillian ó Connor leads the group. However Pat Spillane comes in at no. 25 and he is the only one on the list that did nt take frees or penalties. His scoring record is all the more impressive considering he spent most of his career as a half forward and did alot of defensive work."
Glad to see Pat Spillane mentioned. Much maligned in recent years but was a work horse whose rate was only matched by Jack O'Se. Scored some of the greatest long distance points of any player ever. Was a defensive minded forward thirty years before any other. Can still see him stripping the ball from Johnny "The Jigger" O'Connor in the final against Roscommon. Sealed the game for Kerry. He still feels that if Ogie had passed the ball more often to him instead of The Bomber his tally would have been much greater.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 543 - 02/12/2020 18:32:09    2317760

Link

Yes mickey made look so easy when he had the ball but he was never a great man to win his own ball he had team mates around him who could john Egan being one it was a joy to watch him show for a ball and 9 times out of 10 he won that ball. Mickey was allways in the right place at the right time and as some body said earlier Spillane was everywhere. Without starting a war I really think there is no comparison between that kerry team and present dublin team. The kerry team was full of skill that will never again be seen. When I hear gaa men talk outside of kerry folk it is allways that particular kerry team they speak about sheehy. Spillane. Egan Moran. Jacko. Paudi and Johnno. Even to this day when I am in London where I lived for 40 years and when I go to away the chat will allways come back to that team

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 618 - 03/12/2020 21:26:49    2318028

Link