Galway Forum

Galway Minor Football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yes Philip 3 and I would also temper that by saying relative to other years it was a thin pool of talent and that happens.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 258 - 19/12/2020 19:20:12    2323973

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Just because you play inter county doesn't mean you cut out to be a coach. Jarlaths geography pick of players didn't change ie s lads from corofin, parts of caherlistrane, Milltown, parts of Dunmore, Kilconly, cortoon and killerarin. Most of those clubs are doing very well winning titles in u16 and minor club championship the past number of years.. I know for definite as my nephews go to Jarlaths and most of them are told Jarlaths training is on such a evening at such a time, don't worry about club Jarlaths come first. What a childish cover up of a comment to say the players aren't there. Several of those Jarlaths lads have played u14, u16, minor, u21 upwards.in past number of years. How long since Jarlaths got to or won anything significant??. I could be wrong but the last Hogan cup final they got to was when Adrian, Paul Varley and Shane Walsh etc were there. From memory they were very unlucky in final that year."
You said they dont have the trainers.. they always have had great coaches, but they have lost large numbers of players to schools in Athenry Mountbellew and Claregalway. Significant? Jesus your aiming high with a Hogan cup..
They would be delighted with the Aonghus Murphy cup now.. the clubs you name Milltown, Killererin, Cortoon, Kilconly have also all struggled for numbers over the years; you would swear there is a massive conveyor belt rolling ready made footballers into Jarlaths from these clubs playing predominantly in the lower grades

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 310 - 19/12/2020 19:54:33    2324026

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "You said they dont have the trainers.. they always have had great coaches, but they have lost large numbers of players to schools in Athenry Mountbellew and Claregalway. Significant? Jesus your aiming high with a Hogan cup..
They would be delighted with the Aonghus Murphy cup now.. the clubs you name Milltown, Killererin, Cortoon, Kilconly have also all struggled for numbers over the years; you would swear there is a massive conveyor belt rolling ready made footballers into Jarlaths from these clubs playing predominantly in the lower grades"
Well seen you know so much about it you forgot to add Patricks into that conveyor belt.!if I'm not mistaken they amalgamated with Jarlaths some years back.. I have great time for the bigger A clubs but there are several young lads in those clubs who would love to get game time but can't get a look in. At least with the majority of those clubs you so narrowly minded say are struggling every young person gets game time which is hugely important. But sure if we were to listen to you all those smaller clubs should join up and play A football to make them eligible to be picked for county. Would you ever listen to yourself.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 19/12/2020 21:26:27    2324151

Link

Replying To John789:  "Galway schools football needs a major looking at thou.. Jarlaths only a team but there struggling.. there's need to be some sort of coaching brought into the schools from Galway gaa... Jarlaths lads trainkng hard running all the time but that won't get them anywhere they've been doing that the last few years and have nothin to show from
It"
Times have changed massively in the last 20 years. Success at schools level is having less and less impact on any success at county level. Look at the Connacht GAA schools website and Galway have 36 schools competing at different levels in Hurling and football. Mayo 23, Sligo 9, Roscommon 7, Leitrim 7. Comparing Minor U17 success with schools football makes no sense. When Galway were going for 5 Connacht minor football titles in a row last year, no Galway school had won a Connacht Senior A schools title during that same time. Schools football also is U19 age grade. Most of todays U20 team that won an AllIreland would have done their Leaving cert this year from a big spread of schools. This final was originally fixed for last May so why not compare today's result with schools football instead. We have the most schools playing in the province than all other counties and therefore producing more footballers for Galway Co teams. There's a much bigger spread of players nowadays and that's a good thing.

Manager10 (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 19/12/2020 22:19:32    2324211

Link

There has to serious questions s to the training in schools. My nephew is in Jarlaths and they training as normal during lockdown. Doesn't look like they'll be any competition this year??

largeball (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 19/12/2020 23:56:47    2324278

Link

Replying To Manager10:  "Times have changed massively in the last 20 years. Success at schools level is having less and less impact on any success at county level. Look at the Connacht GAA schools website and Galway have 36 schools competing at different levels in Hurling and football. Mayo 23, Sligo 9, Roscommon 7, Leitrim 7. Comparing Minor U17 success with schools football makes no sense. When Galway were going for 5 Connacht minor football titles in a row last year, no Galway school had won a Connacht Senior A schools title during that same time. Schools football also is U19 age grade. Most of todays U20 team that won an AllIreland would have done their Leaving cert this year from a big spread of schools. This final was originally fixed for last May so why not compare today's result with schools football instead. We have the most schools playing in the province than all other counties and therefore producing more footballers for Galway Co teams. There's a much bigger spread of players nowadays and that's a good thing."
I think the issue with the minors last night has nothing to do with schools. The team seemed poorly prepared compared to Roscommon. Galway has plenty of good footballers at each age group and, no doubt, there are good players at this age group as well and some playing last night. It was the preparation and possible attitude of the team that was at fault. Roscommon did the basics really well and Galway did not. The full back should have been protected after the second score from the full firward but was left in his own. It's no wonder he clocked a fella in the second half outa sheer frustration. Nothing to do with schools.

BleedingMaroon (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 20/12/2020 00:55:33    2324315

Link

There was a time loads of the players came from Mary's and Jarlaths. That's long gone, some of our best county minors in the best 5 years didn't feature in second level competitions. I don't think it matters as much now. Look at Fenton etc last night, centres of excellence and academies are the way to go and Galway Football is doing a good job on that front, I've seen it first hand

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 474 - 20/12/2020 09:32:00    2324381

Link

Replying To largeball:  "There has to serious questions s to the training in schools. My nephew is in Jarlaths and they training as normal during lockdown. Doesn't look like they'll be any competition this year??"
I know last year Jarlaths coaches had a panel of players running around the town after school. I always thought training, running etc was supposed to be done on pitches. Definitely not concrete.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 20/12/2020 11:48:46    2324477

Link

Mayo's minors were beaten by Sligo today. That would have been a shock too. It happens at underage (thank god it does as it makes it competitive and unpredicatable). So we have a Roscommon v Sligo final. The best of luck to whoever wins that in the All-Ireland series.
We were beaten by a better Roscommon team on the day. The way some people jump to a wide-ranging post-mortem involving schools football after one defeat at U17 is a bit much.
There's clearly some very good work being done at underage in Galway over the last number of years. The key is developing these lads through to adult football and hopefully getting some quality senior players from these groups.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 940 - 20/12/2020 17:34:35    2324681

Link

I think in the latter half of the 00's, Galway went 5 years without winning a single minor match in Connacht. That was a time to worry. One poor year doesn't mean much by itself. Especially after a number of very good years. You just don't want it to become a trend going forward.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1812 - 20/12/2020 19:59:39    2324780

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Senior Connacht colleges is less relevant than it used to be with county minor now under 17.
The last number of Galway minor teams had a huge spread of players, many from very small
Schools who wouldn't be able to compete in A.
Jarlaths and Claregalway College will be competitive going forward.
We were due a poor season probably after the minor teams we have had over the last number of years.
We've had decent minor sides for the last 7 seasons (even in 2013 & 2014 where we didn't win Connacht in the end we were still very strong).
In reference to the previous post re losses to Ros at u17 in fairness tonight is the only real clear cut case.
Galway should have beaten Ros in that game last year and I've no doubt if they played a second time there would have been only one winner.
The caveat to the defeat in 2017 is that it was played unbelievably the night before the u18 final in which Galway were also playing and had at least 7 players on the u18 squad also - even though there was a three week gap to the AI semi final!
Three years on we have hammered them in the u20 Connacht final so it's not always black and white."
Galway was missing 2 starters from the 2017 U17 team we had a few key players out injured. The hammering at U20 level this year was freak result in a match played in awful weather conditions. A few weeks prior to that match we drew with Mayo in a highly competitive league encounter and Mayo only lost on penalties to Galway. Yeah not always black and white indeed.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2790 - 20/12/2020 21:43:39    2324853

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Galway was missing 2 starters from the 2017 U17 team we had a few key players out injured. The hammering at U20 level this year was freak result in a match played in awful weather conditions. A few weeks prior to that match we drew with Mayo in a highly competitive league encounter and Mayo only lost on penalties to Galway. Yeah not always black and white indeed."
God you love popping on here when ye turn Galway over once in a while...

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 310 - 21/12/2020 10:14:20    2324990

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "God you love popping on here when ye turn Galway over once in a while..."
I'll "pop" in when I feel a comment without any research needs correcting. U17 meetings last 4 years. 5 matches Galway wins 2, Roscommon 3 wins.

Be it senior or underage it would be much easier to acknowledge the healthy competitive rivalry between the two counties than trying to belittle our victories.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2790 - 21/12/2020 18:26:37    2325174

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "I'll "pop" in when I feel a comment without any research needs correcting. U17 meetings last 4 years. 5 matches Galway wins 2, Roscommon 3 wins.

Be it senior or underage it would be much easier to acknowledge the healthy competitive rivalry between the two counties than trying to belittle our victories."
Ah well it's my post that you were responding to that apparently was "without any research".
Not to be pedantic, but since your reason for posting is supposedly to correct inaccuracies - 3 of the starting team for the u18s the next day were key players for the u17s (and hence did not play) while at least 2 others that were subs for the u18s were u17 also and did not play that game.
I'm not belittling Roscommon's successes at all - ye were miles better on Friday night and deserved to win by even more than the final margin.
I was caveating that defeat which is valid as they were key players who won AI medals at the weekend.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 827 - 21/12/2020 20:49:25    2325238

Link

Galway should have beaten Ros in that game last year and I've no doubt if they played a second time there would have been only one winner.
The caveat to the defeat in 2017 is that it was played unbelievably the night before the u18 final in which Galway were also playing and had at least 7 players on the u18 squad also - even though there was a three week gap to the AI semi final!
Three years on we have hammered them in the u20 Connacht final so it's not always black and white.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 805 - 18/12/2020 23:06:58

---------------------------
Didn't just lose last year but the manner of the defeat by getting out scored 1-11 to 4 points 2nd half.

Fitzgerald, Glynn was they two main players I recall Galway U17s missing for that 2017 final, the likes of Monahan, Tierney started and it was a Galway side on a high after beating Mayo by 8 points. Roscommon really should have won that final by more and to top it off the U18s lost to Cavan.

This years U20 Connacht Final had little relevance as both Galway and Roscommon had only a handful of the same starters as both chose to play more of their 2018 minors than 2017 U17s

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 345 - 22/12/2020 03:08:23    2325301

Link

Anyway I'm not trying to start a big back and forth here... well done to Ros the last night - should be a good final as Sligo meant to be decent enough from what I have heard. Mayo were certainly highly rated and fancied their chances (I would know one of the guys involved with them).
I just hope this year was an anomaly for us and we can get back to being a force next year.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 827 - 22/12/2020 10:12:48    2325332

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Anyway I'm not trying to start a big back and forth here... well done to Ros the last night - should be a good final as Sligo meant to be decent enough from what I have heard. Mayo were certainly highly rated and fancied their chances (I would know one of the guys involved with them).
I just hope this year was an anomaly for us and we can get back to being a force next year."
Friday night not last night. Sligo are very decent, won the last two Fr Manning Cups (Longford ran U16 competition) however they messed up a Connacht minor final appearance last year when their management foolishly went all out to win a dead rubber group game when already into a semi final, with a 5 day turnaround from that group game a well rested Mayo took advantage in the semi final.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 345 - 22/12/2020 20:36:17    2325521

Link