Down Forum

Former Down Hurling Club's

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good question Portavogielad.

However, i don't have an answer for you.

Derry club's are a descent standard but, they have never won an Ulster Club title which is strange.

Can someone else tackle why Derry dual clubs are better than Down.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 548 - 13/11/2009 05:05:51    482706

Link

those Derry clubs have huge catchment area's and hence have the resources to put out adult teams in both codes. Standard wise, they are indeed better than our dual clubs but that's probably because the Derry county board have better juvenile structures in place as shown by how competitive Derry clubs are at the Ulster Feile and Ulster club minor leagues. They also send teams into the North Antrim indoor hurling leagues so I can see them overtaking Down in a serious way over the next 5 to 10 years.
In saying that, they do still have issues with club fixtures being squeezed around football fixtures like we have in Down.

Wullie Mageean (None) - Posts: 211 - 13/11/2009 10:32:33    482773

Link

glasdrumman also had a hurling team back in the 80s i believe!

dj27legend (Down) - Posts: 641 - 13/11/2009 13:21:34    482927

Link

Drumaness had a decent junior team at one time in the 80s. Why was the interest in hurley allow to disappear? They all stopped hurlin around the same time. Why?

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 947 - 15/11/2009 22:13:51    484521

Link

Ross Connor Gaels had some quality hurlers, the O'Reilly brothers for a start. Some boys from Downpatrick, L'Island, Teconnaught, Crossgar etc. They had some very good girls as well. Darragh Cross a number of years ago had several county players at minors and even seniors!!! Real pity to be honest for boys in the Loughinisland, DPK, Teconnaught, Darragh Cross area..even if they did want to play a bit for another club..the nearest is Kilclief and thats no easy to get up to twice a week for a training session and match when your a teenager. Shame

Cross.man (Down) - Posts: 12 - 15/11/2009 22:32:44    484552

Link

No offence to the hurlers but the priority here is football. If hurling gets in its way then goodbye!

U think Jamie O'Reilly would get a contract playing hurley in Australia?

Leave it to Tipp & Kilkenny!

blu (Down) - Posts: 1240 - 15/11/2009 23:01:41    484579

Link

A friend sent me a picture of a Lecale Hurling club team from 1905. I wish I could share the picture, but I cannot. Never heard of a Lecale Hurling Club at the turn of the century? There about 15 boys in the picture, so they had a full team. Anyone ever hear about this team!

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 548 - 21/10/2020 21:32:05    2300088

Link

Would Lecale HC be a prerequisite to Saul or Kilclief perhaps?

doubletree (Dublin) - Posts: 162 - 22/10/2020 19:06:51    2300332

Link

Replying To blu:  "No offence to the hurlers but the priority here is football. If hurling gets in its way then goodbye!

Leave it to Tipp & Kilkenny!"
Clearly have never been to a county hurling game or club, I've been to both hurling and football games and I know which one I'd rather be at, which has the better atmosphere.
Football and hurling should be the focus for county as we have a hurling squad better than any in recent years, as for the football it's a bit of all Ireland standard. People like you would rather see young down gaels focus on one code say football is the reason our county is in the state it has been. I believe now tho the future will be bright for both codes just a matter of time, patience and a lot of hard work

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 92 - 23/10/2020 13:14:08    2300489

Link

Replying To Antrimroad:  "Clearly have never been to a county hurling game or club, I've been to both hurling and football games and I know which one I'd rather be at, which has the better atmosphere.
Football and hurling should be the focus for county as we have a hurling squad better than any in recent years, as for the football it's a bit of all Ireland standard. People like you would rather see young down gaels focus on one code say football is the reason our county is in the state it has been. I believe now tho the future will be bright for both codes just a matter of time, patience and a lot of hard work"
Fair play to blu he left the hook and line in just the 11 years and hooked one!

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 43 - 23/10/2020 14:21:04    2300522

Link

Replying To blu:  "No offence to the hurlers but the priority here is football. If hurling gets in its way then goodbye!

Leave it to Tipp & Kilkenny!"
Priority football, some result for the footballers today

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 92 - 15/11/2020 15:10:38    2309194

Link