Down Forum

Footballers 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Awful stuff from Tally and the backroom staff stripping us bare.

15 aside basketball he wants to play, but even an average team like Meath cut through like a warm knife through butter.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2490 - 24/05/2021 13:29:02    2344953

Link

Replying To Yourjoking:  "Kilcoo have 3 lads in the panel and all played yesterday, none of the brannigans will play now, this comes up every year its a shame but we move on.
I was talking to a player the other evening and he was saying there's serious issues in camp and Tally has lost the players, all 3 Johnston's, Donal o Hare, Harrison and a few others have left and won't be back this year.
Sitting back and waiting for teams to come on to us just does not work we our poor to watch and will not score 15+ in any game s our defence isn't good enough to hold teams to below that.
Westmeath have been unlucky against both Meath and Mayo so will start as strong favourites, we have to go at them because if we get beat we will play either Cork or Kildare which i wouldn't hold much hope for."
Agree with above. On the kilcoo setup they want another crack at the ulster club and beyond so these boys know this is their best chance of success this year so their main players wont commit to a poor down setup and risk jeopardizing their chances.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 324 - 24/05/2021 14:14:48    2344976

Link

Replying To Yourjoking:  "Kilcoo have 3 lads in the panel and all played yesterday, none of the brannigans will play now, this comes up every year its a shame but we move on.
I was talking to a player the other evening and he was saying there's serious issues in camp and Tally has lost the players, all 3 Johnston's, Donal o Hare, Harrison and a few others have left and won't be back this year.
Sitting back and waiting for teams to come on to us just does not work we our poor to watch and will not score 15+ in any game s our defence isn't good enough to hold teams to below that.
Westmeath have been unlucky against both Meath and Mayo so will start as strong favourites, we have to go at them because if we get beat we will play either Cork or Kildare which i wouldn't hold much hope for."
Donal has been a loyal player for Down for many years, and no one could question that, As for Conor , he should have been on the panel , from he was about 21 or 22, and we never got to see enough of him ,As far as im aware he is about 31 or 32 now, and has had a few injuries As for issues in the camp, when any team is not winning, im sure , people from within or outside start sniping, I would safely say theres not a county or club team in the country thats entirely happy wit everything in their own camp, We all know your damed if you do and damed if you dont, I just think were going down the wrong road if a couple of players dont get on with the manager ,and we just get rid of him, and appoint another one, Were does that nonsense stop , If every player quit that diddent get on with a manager our games would be down to 7 a side ,All players should know your not playing for the manager , your playing for Down, which should be a great honour

germac (Down) - Posts: 301 - 25/05/2021 00:57:59    2345252

Link

Great to get the win today. Well done bubba. The manner of the win felt like a defeat as we should have pushed on when we were so far in front but we ended very lucky to take the points.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 324 - 30/05/2021 16:20:51    2346558

Link

Good to get a win but as Downtothecore put it it feels like a loss after that awful second half showing. Similar to the Cavan game, there seems to be a real lack of leadership when the chips are down. They just aren't able to turn the tide when things start going against them.

A home tie against Laois is the best that could have been expected really going into the weekend. Here's hoping the lads get the win and then are able to at the very least put it up to Donegal in Ulster because if we end up with two bad losses I'd say that will be the end of this current regime. Keeping Division 2 status will at least be something to build on.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 103 - 31/05/2021 10:39:34    2346822

Link

Reading the match report some worrying things stand out. Westmeath had six decent goal chances and a penalty saved. I think we had six points from open play and we totalled a lowly thirteen points.

Unless we have something in reserve and Tally is holding back Mooney and McKernan and a few others, we simply won't score enough to put anything up to Donegal. Playing in Newry and with some size of crowd back might help against Laois.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 56 - 31/05/2021 22:31:08    2347230

Link

Well done boys. Down much the better team and deserved the win and great to preserve division 2 status. The defence were good today but liam kerr and Barry o'Hagan were excellent. Now for donegal....

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 324 - 12/06/2021 20:13:41    2349931

Link

Without some fantastic saves over the Westmeath and Laois games, it is with thanks to Rory Burns that Down are playing Div 2 Football next year

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 561 - 14/06/2021 14:35:28    2350807

Link

Replying To Burnsey:  "Without some fantastic saves over the Westmeath and Laois games, it is with thanks to Rory Burns that Down are playing Div 2 Football next year"
Any relation!?

You're not wrong.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 103 - 14/06/2021 15:16:40    2350824

Link

Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "Any relation!?

You're not wrong."
Ha, no relation, a lot of different Burns's over the St Johns (my old club), Castlewellan and Bryansford areas

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 561 - 15/06/2021 09:25:45    2351046

Link

Interesting snippet from a recent preview from a donegal supporter.

"If we can't get out of Newry without a handy enough win we've no business even talking about championship, the myths and enigma surrounding Down football is years gone at this stage"

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 324 - 16/06/2021 19:25:11    2351494

Link

Let's hope that the Donegal team are as cocky as that supporter. That type of thinking is the first step on the way to an upset defeat.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 56 - 16/06/2021 21:03:44    2351509

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "Let's hope that the Donegal team are as cocky as that supporter. That type of thinking is the first step on the way to an upset defeat."
A dry day in Newry, and hopefully Paddy lets our boys go at it , You never know, Its only Donegal for gods sake

germac (Down) - Posts: 301 - 17/06/2021 19:57:16    2351720

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Interesting snippet from a recent preview from a donegal supporter.

"If we can't get out of Newry without a handy enough win we've no business even talking about championship, the myths and enigma surrounding Down football is years gone at this stage""
On here? Was it TirChonaill?

Rolo2010 (Donegal) - Posts: 264 - 20/06/2021 20:11:48    2352219

Link

Replying To Rolo2010:  "On here? Was it TirChonaill?"
https://hoganstand.com/Forum/FindPhttps://hoganstand.com/Forum/FindPost?MessageID=2351054ost?MessageID=2351054

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 324 - 20/06/2021 20:43:53    2352227

Link

The majority of us know it will be a very tough game and I'm sure our players aren't taking anything for granted. After all, Down were 11 points up vs Cavan last year. With a home crowd too, it's going to be intense.

Hopefully a few of you lads get in to watch it.

Enjoy.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 20/06/2021 22:12:08    2352250

Link