Kerry Forum

Congress 2021

(Oldest Posts First)

Well Lads, Congress 2021. Couple of things that have popped that will effect Kerry Football going forward.

Splitting the club and county is a good idea, but did they get it wrong? Should the club season have gone first?
I know that my home club Templenoe wouldn't have won the County intermediate in 2019 was it not for the way the championship was structured that year (Championship played off early in the year and all senior players available then the league played in later months whilst Intercounty was going on but senior players wouldn't be available.)
But the new model has the inter county season first then club... So hoping Kerry win the All Ireland, then the county players will return to their club for league and championship. The cream of the crop in the county will be going back to their clubs tired and drained after a long year.

I think it would have been better the other way round. Using the club Championship to get ready for Intercounty, use the club championship to try and cement your place on the county team. So i thinkg the premise is right but they got it the wrong way round.....

Finally the Maor Forrine issue has been addressed. I think it was shocking in the two matches versus Dublin the way Jason Sherlock behaved, running out onto the field and standing in the space to put of Ryan. Tommy Griffin did it a few times too but not to the level Sherlock did it... it is a scummy move whoever does it and thankfully it should be eradicated now. Sherlock the first day was the worst i ever seen, and i have been told that he was doing it for a lot longer than that.....

The Concussion rule is a great idea but i fear that teams will use this rule to their advantage feigning injury to get fresh men on and give certain players a breather etc. I can see some counties already trying to find ways to exploit this rule unfortunately.

I think the joint captains motion was pointless, a lot more things in this organisation needs addressing before even entertaining this......

The rule that anyone waving their arms at a sideline or a kick out is a bit petty too.. as long as they are the required space back , someone waving their hands shouldn't be putting off an intercounty footballer or hurler.

The Cynical fouling with a goal scoring chance appears to be a no brainer.

The motion about finishing with 13 is a double headed sword..... it is good that teams stuck for numbers wont be punished. but also those game will be so one sided that its not good for the game. Also i have been that solider that recruited a few fellas the morning of a match .... in most cases an away game involving a 2 to 3 hour drive, to make 15 players. Now the fact that you could travel with 13 may put those heroes recruited in the morning, off togging...

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 120 - 28/02/2021 11:47:06    2333055

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Well Lads, Congress 2021. Couple of things that have popped that will effect Kerry Football going forward.

Splitting the club and county is a good idea, but did they get it wrong? Should the club season have gone first?
I know that my home club Templenoe wouldn't have won the County intermediate in 2019 was it not for the way the championship was structured that year (Championship played off early in the year and all senior players available then the league played in later months whilst Intercounty was going on but senior players wouldn't be available.)
But the new model has the inter county season first then club... So hoping Kerry win the All Ireland, then the county players will return to their club for league and championship. The cream of the crop in the county will be going back to their clubs tired and drained after a long year.

I think it would have been better the other way round. Using the club Championship to get ready for Intercounty, use the club championship to try and cement your place on the county team. So i thinkg the premise is right but they got it the wrong way round.....

Finally the Maor Forrine issue has been addressed. I think it was shocking in the two matches versus Dublin the way Jason Sherlock behaved, running out onto the field and standing in the space to put of Ryan. Tommy Griffin did it a few times too but not to the level Sherlock did it... it is a scummy move whoever does it and thankfully it should be eradicated now. Sherlock the first day was the worst i ever seen, and i have been told that he was doing it for a lot longer than that.....

The Concussion rule is a great idea but i fear that teams will use this rule to their advantage feigning injury to get fresh men on and give certain players a breather etc. I can see some counties already trying to find ways to exploit this rule unfortunately.

I think the joint captains motion was pointless, a lot more things in this organisation needs addressing before even entertaining this......

The rule that anyone waving their arms at a sideline or a kick out is a bit petty too.. as long as they are the required space back , someone waving their hands shouldn't be putting off an intercounty footballer or hurler.

The motion about finishing with 13 is a double headed sword..... it is good that teams stuck for numbers wont be punished. but also those game will be so one sided that its not good for the game. Also i have been that solider that recruited a few fellas the morning of a match .... in most cases an away game involving a 2 to 3 hour drive, to make 15 players. Now the fact that you could travel with 13 may put those heroes recruited in the morning, off togging..."
There were some good and some down right ridiculous motions yesterday, what do make of our new president? I hope he does better than John Horan.

gallarus14 (Kerry) - Posts: 127 - 28/02/2021 17:42:18    2333103

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "There were some good and some down right ridiculous motions yesterday, what do make of our new president? I hope he does better than John Horan."
From what I hear from New York he is a good fella and wants to bring the organisation on. Time will tell, but he is taking over in strange times so he may not get as much time to introduce the policy's he may have wanted too ..

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 120 - 28/02/2021 19:57:04    2333113

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "There were some good and some down right ridiculous motions yesterday, what do make of our new president? I hope he does better than John Horan."
Yes I know people that knew him in NY and word is good and hope he will make a good President. He can only improve on Horan imo. Horan came across well during the covid but other than that I thought he was a very poor president.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1638 - 28/02/2021 22:45:00    2333125

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "From what I hear from New York he is a good fella and wants to bring the organisation on. Time will tell, but he is taking over in strange times so he may not get as much time to introduce the policy's he may have wanted too .."
Fingers crossed for him so, he might not be so blinkered as the last guy.

gallarus14 (Kerry) - Posts: 127 - 01/03/2021 10:48:37    2333142

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Yes I know people that knew him in NY and word is good and hope he will make a good President. He can only improve on Horan imo. Horan came across well during the covid but other than that I thought he was a very poor president."
I thought the very same as you a very poor president I'm not a big fan of splitting the championship into two tiers either.

gallarus14 (Kerry) - Posts: 127 - 01/03/2021 10:57:46    2333145

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "I thought the very same as you a very poor president I'm not a big fan of splitting the championship into two tiers either."
I just read that the second terr comp might be shelved again for this year Gall, hopefully they'll see sence and shelve it for good.

Id also like to wish Larry Mccarthy all the best as president and I hope he does a good job.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12614 - 01/03/2021 13:56:14    2333165

Link

I was never as happy to see the rule about the major forinne not being allowed on the field pass. First half of the 2019 final on the hogan stand side, Sherlock was on the field for everyone of the Kerry kickouts taking up space. It was a disgrace. Tommy griffin started doing it too but I was never as happy to see a rule brought in.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 120 - 01/03/2021 15:12:26    2333179

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Well Lads, Congress 2021. Couple of things that have popped that will effect Kerry Football going forward.

The motion about finishing with 13 is a double headed sword..... it is good that teams stuck for numbers wont be punished. but also those game will be so one sided that its not good for the game. Also i have been that solider that recruited a few fellas the morning of a match .... in most cases an away game involving a 2 to 3 hour drive, to make 15 players. Now the fact that you could travel with 13 may put those heroes recruited in the morning, off togging..."
I am bitterly disappointed about the split season motion being past, esp with the inter-county season going first. I just don't see what's wrong with keeping some traditions. The First and Third Sunday in September are storied dates on the annual calendar and everyone Irish sports fan knows what they represent.

Aren't we bombarded with wall to wall soccer coverage and rugby coverage for 10 months of the year? What was wrong with making the summer the GAA's time when the premier inter-county competitions could be played out over a number of weeks and therefore hog the headlines and media attention at a time when soccer and rugby were having their all too brief off-season.

All you are doing now is giving August and Sept back to other sports to monopolise the media platforms. Likewise I never bought this argument that this would be a great way for club sides to gain a national audience. Listen all GAA is local, I know little about the club scene outside Kerry and care less. I have no interest in what club is winning in Cork or Tyrone or Dublin and I doubt I'm alone in that and would not have any great desire to sit down and watch a club game from some other county on tv. There will be no great coverage of club games on the back of this, with the inter-county season done, it will be back to filling the pages with soccer and rugby and whatever else.

I just feel things like this are the result of too many counties not having their own houses in order and not being able to give the club players meaningful games when the inter-county season is on. We can do it in Kerry, so why can't the rest?

Over the last three years when they moved the All-Ireland's back I felt they were lost, there's too little a gap between the hurling and football decider and you just don't get the same sense of build-up and expectation as before. Add in the fact they were now on at a time when plenty of people were out of the country on holidays etc and it just wasn't the same. If they were left in Sept you had so much more attention and everyone knew it was the last great hurrah in the summer before the long winter nights closed in.

I really am bitterly disappointed about it.

As for the other stuff, agree with our Donegal exile about the on-filed incursions. It really was disgraceful stuff esp by Sherlock in the 19 final but sure when would Dublin ever be refereed equally or be held to the same standard as the rest of us!

I'm happy the cynical play rules have come in hurling, its been very cynical for a long time and as much as I love hurling and am from a hurling area, I never could stand the holier than thou stuff from the small ball brigade about the 'purity' and 'sportsmanship' of their code. Watch Kilkenny and Tipp and tell me another one lads!

Glad to see Horan gone, I've been at a few GAA non sporting events which he would have been on hand to open and the lack of interest and the 'say my cupla focal and get me out the door ASAP' attitude he had was shocking.

I hope our New Yorker can prove a better man and hopefully he will finally do something about Dublin. I though Michael Duignan spoke very well on the issue, not that the top brass gave a damn!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6029 - 01/03/2021 20:02:51    2333215

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I am bitterly disappointed about the split season motion being past, esp with the inter-county season going first. I just don't see what's wrong with keeping some traditions. The First and Third Sunday in September are storied dates on the annual calendar and everyone Irish sports fan knows what they represent.

Aren't we bombarded with wall to wall soccer coverage and rugby coverage for 10 months of the year? What was wrong with making the summer the GAA's time when the premier inter-county competitions could be played out over a number of weeks and therefore hog the headlines and media attention at a time when soccer and rugby were having their all too brief off-season.

All you are doing now is giving August and Sept back to other sports to monopolise the media platforms. Likewise I never bought this argument that this would be a great way for club sides to gain a national audience. Listen all GAA is local, I know little about the club scene outside Kerry and care less. I have no interest in what club is winning in Cork or Tyrone or Dublin and I doubt I'm alone in that and would not have any great desire to sit down and watch a club game from some other county on tv. There will be no great coverage of club games on the back of this, with the inter-county season done, it will be back to filling the pages with soccer and rugby and whatever else.

I just feel things like this are the result of too many counties not having their own houses in order and not being able to give the club players meaningful games when the inter-county season is on. We can do it in Kerry, so why can't the rest?

Over the last three years when they moved the All-Ireland's back I felt they were lost, there's too little a gap between the hurling and football decider and you just don't get the same sense of build-up and expectation as before. Add in the fact they were now on at a time when plenty of people were out of the country on holidays etc and it just wasn't the same. If they were left in Sept you had so much more attention and everyone knew it was the last great hurrah in the summer before the long winter nights closed in.

As for the other stuff, agree with our Donegal exile about the on-filed incursions. It really was disgraceful stuff esp by Sherlock in the 19 final but sure when would Dublin ever be refereed equally or be held to the same standard as the rest of us!

I'm happy the cynical play rules have come in hurling, its been very cynical for a long time and as much as I love hurling and am from a hurling area, I never could stand the holier than thou stuff from the small ball brigade about the 'purity' and 'sportsmanship' of their code. Watch Kilkenny and Tipp and tell me another one lads!

Glad to see Horan gone, I've been at a few GAA non sporting events which he would have been on hand to open and the lack of interest and the 'say my cupla focal and get me out the door ASAP' attitude he had was shocking.

I hope our New Yorker can prove a better man and hopefully he will finally do something about Dublin. I though Michael Duignan spoke very well on the issue, not that the top brass gave a damn!"
I'd say every club player in Ireland is glad of a split season. There was tremendously positive feedback about it last year (one good thing came out of the virus situation). I'd prefer to see the club scene played off first, before the inter-county stuff. Having the AI finals in December did them ere a bit of harm.

Btw, over here, we consider Larry to be a Cork man. He's great to get a thing done though, and is very obliging. He's living among the Dubs now. Hopefully, they don't get to him.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 255 - 02/03/2021 08:13:49    2333256

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "I'd say every club player in Ireland is glad of a split season. There was tremendously positive feedback about it last year (one good thing came out of the virus situation). I'd prefer to see the club scene played off first, before the inter-county stuff. Having the AI finals in December did them ere a bit of harm.

Btw, over here, we consider Larry to be a Cork man. He's great to get a thing done though, and is very obliging. He's living among the Dubs now. Hopefully, they don't get to him."
He's married to a dub so that's already a done deal.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12614 - 02/03/2021 11:15:33    2333278

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I am bitterly disappointed about the split season motion being past, esp with the inter-county season going first. I just don't see what's wrong with keeping some traditions. The First and Third Sunday in September are storied dates on the annual calendar and everyone Irish sports fan knows what they represent.

I hope our New Yorker can prove a better man and hopefully he will finally do something about Dublin. I though Michael Duignan spoke very well on the issue, not that the top brass gave a damn!"
Dublin Dublin Dublin

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2438 - 04/03/2021 09:32:27    2333486

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Dublin Dublin Dublin"
Exactly!! Biggest crisis facing the GAA since it nearly collapsed as an organisation in the early 1890s.

Everyone outside the M50 can see that plain as day and yet what do Congress do, completely ignore the issue and instead pass ridiculous bans on joint captains!

Now you don't seem to appreciate that this is a Kerry forum so why don't you go back to the main forum/Dublin forum they are essentially one and the same these days ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6029 - 04/03/2021 10:04:10    2333491

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Dublin Dublin Dublin"
Only three? I thought you'd have six!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 255 - 05/03/2021 07:03:28    2333553

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Only three? I thought you'd have six!"
Actually im hoping for 7 !! -:)

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2438 - 05/03/2021 22:11:54    2333597

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Actually im hoping for 7 !! -:)"
That's pure greed. Isn't six enough for Du6lin? Time for youse to give some other county a chance.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 255 - 06/03/2021 02:40:02    2333599

Link