Louth Forum

Getting Back To Playing

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To breakingball22:  "Surely you cannot talk about complainers being out in full force when you are literally complaining in the same post. Also, by your logic, if the championship is what its all about then we should just go ahead and play the leagues without county players and give lads on the fringes an opportunity to play themselves into contention for the championship? Finally, I wouldn't speak for every player when you say the leagues were competitive because there was an obvious drop off in intensity in the games I played in and watched. And friends I have on other teams noted the same. 2 years without promotion and relegation is way less ideal than playing the leagues without county players. My team will be missing multiple county players also...next man up! This nonsense goes on in very few other counties. And the mad thing is that in Louth the league promotion and relegation isn't even tied to the championship. So all in all it is crazy logic to make the league a token competition. Very simple to play 1 game per week for 11 weeks starting in June. Championship after and then back in our houses by October. Clubs need to look past their own self-interests and focus on whats best for football in Louth. Because in a few years time, the club that has 2-4 county players may have none and might be on the other side of the argument."
I agree let all the leagues games flow from now on without county players but can't be any promotion or relegation if there's no county players involved it's totally unfair. There might be time for a double league if they cram in the games but then ur running out of time for championships with the intercounty championship starting in late June & July. We'll see what happens but I'm sure it's just football we all want at this stage regardless of anything else

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 208 - 30/04/2021 19:38:24    2339546

Link

I just don't agree that a second year with promotion is a good idea. It punishes club players who may be ready to make a step up in leagues. 2 years with the opportunity to progress and they might miss their window. Every year we pander way too much to the clubs with county players. Suiting a small number of players at the expense of the vast majority. It is absolute madness. Other counties just get on with it, why can't we? I have seen league games in other counties without county players and there is serious intensity and quality on show.

If the league starts in mid June, a full round of 11 fixtures based on 1 per week would be done in early September there or thereabouts. Straight into Championship for 5 weeks. Done and dusted by October. But if there is a small delay here or there due to weather or whatever, I'd guess many would be ok to play in November given the year that's in it.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 413 - 30/04/2021 20:31:47    2339555

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Surely you cannot talk about complainers being out in full force when you are literally complaining in the same post. Also, by your logic, if the championship is what its all about then we should just go ahead and play the leagues without county players and give lads on the fringes an opportunity to play themselves into contention for the championship? Finally, I wouldn't speak for every player when you say the leagues were competitive because there was an obvious drop off in intensity in the games I played in and watched. And friends I have on other teams noted the same. 2 years without promotion and relegation is way less ideal than playing the leagues without county players. My team will be missing multiple county players also...next man up! This nonsense goes on in very few other counties. And the mad thing is that in Louth the league promotion and relegation isn't even tied to the championship. So all in all it is crazy logic to make the league a token competition. Very simple to play 1 game per week for 11 weeks starting in June. Championship after and then back in our houses by October. Clubs need to look past their own self-interests and focus on whats best for football in Louth. Because in a few years time, the club that has 2-4 county players may have none and might be on the other side of the argument."
Well said you hit the nail on the head clubs who bang on about county men missing obviously have no faith in there own players this year has to be promotion relegation it's time to just get on with it every weekend league games the championship not meant to be starting until August anyway but has was stated it's just great to be back at it

This no spectators thing is another bloody mess can go to cinema museums church indoors stand outside penny's on top of each other when games are allowed back but 100 people can't stand in a big field away from each other watching a match

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 455 - 30/04/2021 21:07:35    2339556

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "I just don't agree that a second year with promotion is a good idea. It punishes club players who may be ready to make a step up in leagues. 2 years with the opportunity to progress and they might miss their window. Every year we pander way too much to the clubs with county players. Suiting a small number of players at the expense of the vast majority. It is absolute madness. Other counties just get on with it, why can't we? I have seen league games in other counties without county players and there is serious intensity and quality on show.

If the league starts in mid June, a full round of 11 fixtures based on 1 per week would be done in early September there or thereabouts. Straight into Championship for 5 weeks. Done and dusted by October. But if there is a small delay here or there due to weather or whatever, I'd guess many would be ok to play in November given the year that's in it."
You do realise there are other fixtures to pencil in other than adult senior football right?

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 596 - 01/05/2021 17:01:17    2339613

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "You do realise there are other fixtures to pencil in other than adult senior football right?"
Yep

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 413 - 01/05/2021 21:10:31    2339651

Link

Play the games let the county players play for there clubs if a lad gets injured that's bad luck , the county panel will be 30+ players realistically about 10 will play no minutes in league or championship and the club players which are 95% of the playing population get there season built around the 5% we need all out players playing in competitive leagues and championships. Any player county or club is as likely to get injured playing for the club or county or training with the club or county its a year were we don't have to worry about player burnout as nobody has been doing any playing.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 243 - 04/05/2021 10:04:36    2339888

Link

Replying To N08CUTN:  "Play the games let the county players play for there clubs if a lad gets injured that's bad luck , the county panel will be 30+ players realistically about 10 will play no minutes in league or championship and the club players which are 95% of the playing population get there season built around the 5% we need all out players playing in competitive leagues and championships. Any player county or club is as likely to get injured playing for the club or county or training with the club or county its a year were we don't have to worry about player burnout as nobody has been doing any playing."
I'm not sure but I think Mickey Harte always let Tyrone players play club football, im open to correction on that.

On player burnout, its probably not a burnout issue but the sports science heads & physios are predicting lots of muscle injuries as fellas have been doing lots of straight line road running, distance runs etc and now the move to the pitch & drills is short runs, lots more twisting , turning etc.
Its absolutely crucial for managers and coaches to break lads in easy for 2/3 week to grass and not go full out 100% into it.

The fixture list is out and doing the rounds, there is going to be plenty of matches this year, Paddy Shelan going ahead as well.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 596 - 04/05/2021 13:21:48    2339918

Link

The league most go ahead , it's only a couple of clubs that will have an issue but at the end of the day it will give their panel a bit of strength and depth.

Suitcase (Louth) - Posts: 23 - 04/05/2021 21:02:18    2340003

Link

Ye looks like a good fixture planner that was released recently with 11 rounds of league fixtures. Looks like the first 1 or 2 league games will be so called star games and then all county players will be available to the clubs for the rest of the league games with games every week right up until the championship starts in early September. Subsidery league group games all ran off within a week starting 7th June. Let's play ball as they say!!!

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 208 - 04/05/2021 22:06:28    2340012

Link