Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gunman:  "I wonder what the criteria is for choosing venues.Why Armagh over Clones or Cavan.Is it drier,it didn't look that good to-day no more than the rest of the grounds."
No lights in Clones. Breffni would give Cavan home advantage.

themaddog (Wicklow) - Posts: 79 - 15/11/2020 19:23:40    2309539

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I wonder what the criteria is for choosing venues.Why Armagh over Clones or Cavan.Is it drier,it didn't look that good to-day no more than the rest of the grounds."
I'm sure Cavan would be delighted to have an Ulster Final at home!! Game fixed for 4pm so Clones out as having no lights, Omagh a poor pitch at the best of times and Celtic Park, or Newry are too far for one or both teams. Armagh the best option.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 15/11/2020 19:24:38    2309540

Link

Replying To Tir Conaill Abu:  "I'm sure Cavan would be delighted to have an Ulster Final at home!! Game fixed for 4pm so Clones out as having no lights, Omagh a poor pitch at the best of times and Celtic Park, or Newry are too far for one or both teams. Armagh the best option."
The quality of the pitch should be the main thing.Behind closed doors home venues don't mean much.I had forgotten about the floodlight situation in Clones and Donegal probably wouldn't want to go to Cavan so Armagh was probably the solution.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 15/11/2020 20:27:26    2309608

Link

The pitch there did not look great at all which definitely gives Cavan an advantage. Alot will depend on the weather leading up to and during the game. If the rain stays away I think the pitch won't be much if a disadvantage. Donegal teams have a pretty good recent record there too winning the McKenna Cup and Under 21 Ulster title. We also beat Armagh there easily in the championship and who can forget the performance of our minors the same year who put on an absolute exhibition.

As I was watching the second semi final I was thinking Down are an impressive side. Their pace on the break and defensive organisation forcing turnovers had me thinking they could be a problem. However it ain't over till its over even though it should have been a few minutes into the second half if Down were not so wasteful in not converting pretty routine goal opportunities. If Cavan are so generous next week there will be not be another Lazarus comeback from them. Much of the comeback today came from them forcing Down to go long on their kickouts and their big men took over. I doubt that will have similar success against Donegal. Saying that they did do well with their long balls into the full forward line which could be a problem given the missing players we have in defense. Saying that I would still be pretty confident of a comfortable enough victory. We were pretty loose in the second half against them last year which should really focus the minds.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 15/11/2020 20:50:50    2309634

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "The pitch there did not look great at all which definitely gives Cavan an advantage. Alot will depend on the weather leading up to and during the game. If the rain stays away I think the pitch won't be much if a disadvantage. Donegal teams have a pretty good recent record there too winning the McKenna Cup and Under 21 Ulster title. We also beat Armagh there easily in the championship and who can forget the performance of our minors the same year who put on an absolute exhibition.

As I was watching the second semi final I was thinking Down are an impressive side. Their pace on the break and defensive organisation forcing turnovers had me thinking they could be a problem. However it ain't over till its over even though it should have been a few minutes into the second half if Down were not so wasteful in not converting pretty routine goal opportunities. If Cavan are so generous next week there will be not be another Lazarus comeback from them. Much of the comeback today came from them forcing Down to go long on their kickouts and their big men took over. I doubt that will have similar success against Donegal. Saying that they did do well with their long balls into the full forward line which could be a problem given the missing players we have in defense. Saying that I would still be pretty confident of a comfortable enough victory. We were pretty loose in the second half against them last year which should really focus the minds."
As you have mentioned donegal have plenty good memories to draw on. That mckenna cup match was a great watch. (I doubt too many remember the minor match although they were very good.) The weather forecast continues to be very poor so pitch likely to be very heavy. If cavan weren't in the final breffni would have been the venue, it was great yesterday. It's also pity Omagh is such an unreliable pitch as its location is better.

I agree on down. I thought they looked great initially though they've no big men and cavan physically imposed themselves in the second half. Cavan had no option but go for it in the second half and it made things pretty simple for them. Generally when team just goes for it they leave themselves exposed but down just couldn't manage to get forward enough to get the 6 points they needed.

Donegal need to be quite clinical about this match and not take anything for granted, it's a great opportunity for them. In the bonner era there's very few who score as much against us as mckiernan. Need to stop him coming through the middle, coming off the shoulder. He's a big man who can go off either foot. It was when mcgee went last year that donegal conceded a fortune of scores. The game was up but agree it should focus the minds. Likewise Hugh mcfadden is really important and not sure we want to be without him in a mucky day. And probably a bit like yesterday need to impose themselves early and look to dominate from the off.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 15/11/2020 23:22:38    2309730

Link

You really have to admire the spirit on this Cavan side, that was a serious comeback yesterday. However you are relying on your opponent falling apart when faced with a 10 point deficit and Down did just that. If Donegal get a lead next Sunday I don't think we would be giving it up.

The danger man will be Gearoid McKiernan, great player and kick scores of either foot. We have struggled to mark him in the past and there are no obvious candidates top pick him up if McMenamin is injured. We will need to keep Neil McGee at full back to pick up Conor Madden or Thomas Galligan. Ban might be the best option for McKiernan.

We are motoring along nicely, all the players look in good form. We are definitely short in the full back line but not much we can do about that with McMenamin and McGrath injured and McFadden-Ferry not available. As other posters have pointed out, the non appearance of Caolan Ward and O'Baoil is mind boggling, we could do with those two players on good form.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 16/11/2020 10:49:47    2309859

Link

Mightily impressive performance on Saturday, particularly in that 2nd quarter where Armagh were absolutely blown out of the water. If they can maintain that level of performance over the next three games it'll take a good team to stop them. Focus on Cavan for the weekend though which is by no means a gimme. But they have shown great focus in the two games to date.

I am quite concerned however about that amount over soft tissue injuries being picked up though. If it happens in contact it can't really be legislated for, but taking the example of McMenamin Saturday I would be worried. Pulls hamstring after two mins and first run. Was that down to the individuals warm up or prep during the week? He came off against Kerry with a similar complaint. Surely with the time and money spent on S&C it shouldn't be as common.

My fear would be if it becomes a trend it could cost us big time, particularly in defence. As has been noted by other posters, it is not an area we are blessed in.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 16/11/2020 11:56:06    2309943

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "Mightily impressive performance on Saturday, particularly in that 2nd quarter where Armagh were absolutely blown out of the water. If they can maintain that level of performance over the next three games it'll take a good team to stop them. Focus on Cavan for the weekend though which is by no means a gimme. But they have shown great focus in the two games to date.

I am quite concerned however about that amount over soft tissue injuries being picked up though. If it happens in contact it can't really be legislated for, but taking the example of McMenamin Saturday I would be worried. Pulls hamstring after two mins and first run. Was that down to the individuals warm up or prep during the week? He came off against Kerry with a similar complaint. Surely with the time and money spent on S&C it shouldn't be as common.

My fear would be if it becomes a trend it could cost us big time, particularly in defence. As has been noted by other posters, it is not an area we are blessed in."
I think Mc Menamin has been troubled with that injury all year. Some lads can do all the S&C in the world and still have an issue with hamstrings. It's not unusual for player coming back from surgery to have soft tissue issues in other regions and I'd say that's what happened Mc Grath. Overall we have been unlucky with injuries in the past few years so hopefully we get Mc Menamin back soon.

I'd be wary of Cavan. They have nothing to lose and really threw everything at Down to grind out a result. They will play for the entire 70 against us too so we will need to ensure an attitude of not taking the foot of the gas. Cavan were in the game for long periods against us last year until we eventually ground them down but that was their first taste of an Ulster Final. This game won't have the same hype, crowds or sideshows to have them nervous and thats a leveller to a certain extent. They will look to launch ball into our full back line and try to push for goals. You could see us pushing Hugh Mc Fadden even further back this weekend with Murphy spending more time out the field to replace him. Mc Menamin shouldn't be played unless absolutely necessary as one week isn't enough to get over a hamstring issue.

We couldn't complete the three in a row as All Ireland Champions in 2013 so hopefully we can do it this time. If we bring the same attitude and intensity as shown on Saturday I believe we can.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 16/11/2020 12:33:56    2309985

Link

The nature of McMenamin's injury is the big worry, it was the first sprint and something must have popped on him. I don't think we'll see him this weekend.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 16/11/2020 12:54:00    2310007

Link

Some second half performance by Cavan. Could be sleeping giants in the making.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 16/11/2020 13:15:24    2310026

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Some second half performance by Cavan. Could be sleeping giants in the making."
Absolutely no Chance

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 16/11/2020 14:55:22    2310126

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "The nature of McMenamin's injury is the big worry, it was the first sprint and something must have popped on him. I don't think we'll see him this weekend."
given the tight schedule of the championship all over in 4 weeks I would be surprised if mcmenamin recovers

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 16/11/2020 16:19:20    2310195

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "given the tight schedule of the championship all over in 4 weeks I would be surprised if mcmenamin recovers"
Get him into the Atlantic twice a day for the foreseeable!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 16/11/2020 16:29:32    2310204

Link

I see the Hurlers are heading to Croke park this Sunday.It is a pity the footballers are not there as well.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 16/11/2020 16:55:06    2310222

Link

The pitch in Armagh looked really cut up yesterday and with a poor enough forecast this week it's difficult to see it being much better this Sunday. By contrast, Croke Park looked in great nick yesterday. We could do with a top class pitch and stadium in the province, perhaps that will be Casement Park if it ever gets started.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 16/11/2020 20:01:53    2310340

Link

What would be your starting lineup for Sunday folks? I would like to see Ward given the start, he has been consistent for us and done a job in the full back line previously. We are all scratching our heads as to why he is not getting minutes so there must be something we don't know, but all the same I'd like to see him line out on Sunday:

Patton

Ward
N.McGee
Eoghan Bán

R.McHugh
P.Brennan
Mogan

McGonagle
McFadden (if fit, if any doubt, bring in J.McGee)

Thompson
O'Donnell
Langan

J.Brennan
Murphy
McBrearty

I'd like to see McBrearty from the start as well to give him the minutes too. Harsh on Eoin McHugh who has been excellent I have to say.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 17/11/2020 12:27:04    2310571

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I see the Hurlers are heading to Croke park this Sunday.It is a pity the footballers are not there as well."
Hey, there's always next year ;)

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 4314 - 17/11/2020 12:50:18    2310587

Link

Hard to disagree with any of that Joe. Ward was flying in the spring but whatever has happened in the meantime he hasn't been getting any game time. Risking McMenamin would be absolute folly so unless McGrath has recovered Ward is the most obvious choice.

I'd be thinking along the same lines as yourself re: McBrearty. He looked hungry when he got on the last day. I would start him to get him up and motoring properly. If it's looking like the game is comfortable around the 55 minute mark get Gallen on in his place.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 17/11/2020 12:52:25    2310588

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "What would be your starting lineup for Sunday folks? I would like to see Ward given the start, he has been consistent for us and done a job in the full back line previously. We are all scratching our heads as to why he is not getting minutes so there must be something we don't know, but all the same I'd like to see him line out on Sunday:

Patton

Ward
N.McGee
Eoghan Bán

R.McHugh
P.Brennan
Mogan

McGonagle
McFadden (if fit, if any doubt, bring in J.McGee)

Thompson
O'Donnell
Langan

J.Brennan
Murphy
McBrearty

I'd like to see McBrearty from the start as well to give him the minutes too. Harsh on Eoin McHugh who has been excellent I have to say."
Hi to all you Donegall people if you have a few lads that can't get a game on Sunday could we borrow them for the game.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 44 - 17/11/2020 12:53:02    2310590

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Hard to disagree with any of that Joe. Ward was flying in the spring but whatever has happened in the meantime he hasn't been getting any game time. Risking McMenamin would be absolute folly so unless McGrath has recovered Ward is the most obvious choice.

I'd be thinking along the same lines as yourself re: McBrearty. He looked hungry when he got on the last day. I would start him to get him up and motoring properly. If it's looking like the game is comfortable around the 55 minute mark get Gallen on in his place."
Yeah Ward was one of the best players in Ballyshannon against Monaghan, a rotten day weather wise but an excellent performance overall and he was one of the standouts.

I would worry about starting McGrath considering the niggly nature of his injuries, if he is fit enough to play then I'd definitely like to see him come off the bench but not sure about starting him.

While we are thin at the back, by the same token it is great that we do have options. The drop off from starter to squad is not as big as it used to be which is testament to Bonner and the management team.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 17/11/2020 13:11:07    2310609

Link