Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Armagh are a good side, very strong around midfield with Oisin O'Neill, Jarlath Og, Sheridan and Grimley. They are a serious threat up front with Rian O'Neill, Rory Gruggan, Stefan Campbell and the mercurial Jamie Clarke. I would think Neil McGee will pick up Rian O'Neill and McMenamin pick up Clarke.

One weakness that Armagh have is that their defenders foul a lot when teams run at them. We have good strong runners so I expect us to get quite a lot of scoreable frees. It will be a tough game but think we should have enough to get a 3/4 point win.

Hopefully we get to see Paddy McBrearty in action again. Shame about Paddy McGrath being injured, he really needs game time.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 11/11/2020 19:30:31    2307751

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Armagh are a good side, very strong around midfield with Oisin O'Neill, Jarlath Og, Sheridan and Grimley. They are a serious threat up front with Rian O'Neill, Rory Gruggan, Stefan Campbell and the mercurial Jamie Clarke. I would think Neil McGee will pick up Rian O'Neill and McMenamin pick up Clarke.

One weakness that Armagh have is that their defenders foul a lot when teams run at them. We have good strong runners so I expect us to get quite a lot of scoreable frees. It will be a tough game but think we should have enough to get a 3/4 point win.

Hopefully we get to see Paddy McBrearty in action again. Shame about Paddy McGrath being injured, he really needs game time."
I agree with you on the markers though if rian oneill moves or plays out the field I don't see mcgee following him. If neil mcgee is not fit I've no clue what they'll do. Mcgrath is out and they replaced mcgee with mclean the last day. I'd be quite concerned if mcgee is not fit.

I kind of see murphy continuing to play quite deep in defensive enough role, floating around chb. Brennan probably marking Campbell with maybe ban taking up Grugan.

I also see seamus coleman was making a bit of a recommendation for himself at chb on sky. He's a very impressive man.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 11/11/2020 23:09:08    2307827

Link

A worry for me is our lack of fit and available defenders. If Armagh kept men up I'd worry.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 12/11/2020 22:51:13    2308207

Link

Tomorrow is a huge game. Semi Finals are always more likely to spring a shock than a final.

We will not be found wanting on Ulster Final day if we get there. Tomorrow for me has chimes of the Armagh game in Croker in 2014. Donegal favourites but Armagh a tough, physical, motivated and sticky opposition who do have dangermen who can cause both.

We have the men to win this game and it would required 5 or 6 of them to have a real off day in attack for us not to find the scores required but one thing i absolutely do not want to see is a slow and sloppy start like we saw against Tyrone where we are 5-1 down and at that stage of the game, requiring a goal to stay in touch. You cant keep getting away with that in winter football and ideally you want to be the team in the lead and controlling the game rather than chasing in unpredictable and soft conditions.

I can see us getting over the line with 3 or 4 pts to spare but it wont be easy and we will have to fight as hard and show all the grit we did against Tyrone- no let up.

Games are thick and fast now and we are 9 days out for another Ulster final which is a defacto All Ireland QF in itself.

Keep focused.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 13/11/2020 10:31:37    2308271

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "A worry for me is our lack of fit and available defenders. If Armagh kept men up I'd worry."
Yes and that is Armagh's strongest part of the pitch. One thing our boys are very good at though is retaining the ball for long periods, it can be frustrating at times from a supporters POV but if we starve Armagh of possession that will hopefully limit the chances for their forwards to hurt us.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 13/11/2020 12:00:04    2308302

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "A worry for me is our lack of fit and available defenders. If Armagh kept men up I'd worry."
Hi TheRock2121: Don't be worrying about that.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 13/11/2020 13:28:43    2308341

Link

In these type of knockout games in the depths of winter attitude and hard work trump skill and ability. So to put it in simple terms, if we better Armagh's work rate and intensity we'll beat them because we have better players. But if the attitude isn't right and we start slowly then that's when problems will emerge.

I'd be confident our lads won't take their eye off the ball and will win this with about 5 points to spare.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 13/11/2020 15:20:00    2308376

Link

All the best to the lads tomorrow. Another huge match. Don't think they'll be many changes to starting team. I think paddy Mc brearty might be used off the bench his lack of game time will probably see him being introduced at some stage. Armagh will not be easy there a big physical team who'll want to upset our rhythm from the start a bit like the game in croke park 2014. We have to be focused and our discipline needs to be top notch. Black cards and maybe even red ones could have a big say in the game.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 13/11/2020 17:18:39    2308420

Link

Caolan Ward very fit and best defender on team before lock down, cant understand why he was not playing last game ,is
he injured.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 62 - 13/11/2020 20:38:52    2308499

Link

Well tomorrow has a somewhat different feel about it after what we saw happen to Kerry. It showed that no matter how skillful the forward unit, if the going gets tough it's hard to turn on the style in these conditions. When you've a gale force wind in your face and boots sinking into buttery mud the stage is set for bullies and defenders, not skillful forwards.

Having said that if you were from Armagh you'd be looking at the current state of Donegals defence and thinking we can have a pop here. McGee clearly not on top form, McGrath out, two wing half backs in Mogan and Mchugh who are essentially forwards... thankfully for us McGeeney is a defender at heart and is likely to sit back and try to soak up pressure. But if they surprise us and push up, put Rian O'Niell on the edge of the square and launch high into him, with Jamie Clarke lurking nearby we will all be sh*tting proverbial bricks on our sofas tomorrow. You would think they won't, but it's been an unpredictable year...

In a way I liked Bonners attitude in bringing McLean on for McGee the last day. Speaks volumes about his style and mindset. Either that or he just doesn't have faith in McCole or Eamonn Doherty filling the full back position in a straight swap? I don't think so but you'd be worried if McGee gets hurt 10 minutes in a their forwards are looking dangerous...

Enough about the opposition, we should have the fire power up front to beat them. Thompson and Langan will be key again with their physicality and accuracy from distance. Mogan looks the part and is the player I thought Darrach O'Connor or Cian Mulligan would be for Donegal. Small and fast with a nose for a goal.

So if Armagh go defensive we should beat them, if they say fuck it and have go, things could get tricky.

Donegal by 3, mc Brearty to come on in the second half and grow into the game.

Let's hope the camera men bring a few wipes with them tomorrow.

High_and_wide (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 13/11/2020 21:35:49    2308521

Link

Replying To High_and_wide:  "Well tomorrow has a somewhat different feel about it after what we saw happen to Kerry. It showed that no matter how skillful the forward unit, if the going gets tough it's hard to turn on the style in these conditions. When you've a gale force wind in your face and boots sinking into buttery mud the stage is set for bullies and defenders, not skillful forwards.

Having said that if you were from Armagh you'd be looking at the current state of Donegals defence and thinking we can have a pop here. McGee clearly not on top form, McGrath out, two wing half backs in Mogan and Mchugh who are essentially forwards... thankfully for us McGeeney is a defender at heart and is likely to sit back and try to soak up pressure. But if they surprise us and push up, put Rian O'Niell on the edge of the square and launch high into him, with Jamie Clarke lurking nearby we will all be sh*tting proverbial bricks on our sofas tomorrow. You would think they won't, but it's been an unpredictable year...

In a way I liked Bonners attitude in bringing McLean on for McGee the last day. Speaks volumes about his style and mindset. Either that or he just doesn't have faith in McCole or Eamonn Doherty filling the full back position in a straight swap? I don't think so but you'd be worried if McGee gets hurt 10 minutes in a their forwards are looking dangerous...

Enough about the opposition, we should have the fire power up front to beat them. Thompson and Langan will be key again with their physicality and accuracy from distance. Mogan looks the part and is the player I thought Darrach O'Connor or Cian Mulligan would be for Donegal. Small and fast with a nose for a goal.

So if Armagh go defensive we should beat them, if they say fuck it and have go, things could get tricky.

Let's hope the camera men bring a few wipes with them tomorrow."
Look at high and wide,
Don't know where your coming from about Mcgee not being on top form, hes having back troubles which can hit anyone at anytime, he'll be grand keep the faith, I'd hope he has a cracker tomo and shows the gritted teeth cause believe me you we will need that against Armagh. It I'll be an ole dogged game tomo as always is with them guys but we've way too much talent not to prevail, mcgeaney hates us from 2011 and will have his lads Wound up like tightropes which will relate to hard knocks and loads of frees for our lads which we'll
duly take advantage off, it I'll be tight but we'll pull away in the last 15 mins and win by 4 I predict.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 13/11/2020 23:28:02    2308574

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Look at high and wide,
Don't know where your coming from about Mcgee not being on top form, hes having back troubles which can hit anyone at anytime, he'll be grand keep the faith, I'd hope he has a cracker tomo and shows the gritted teeth cause believe me you we will need that against Armagh. It I'll be an ole dogged game tomo as always is with them guys but we've way too much talent not to prevail, mcgeaney hates us from 2011 and will have his lads Wound up like tightropes which will relate to hard knocks and loads of frees for our lads which we'll
duly take advantage off, it I'll be tight but we'll pull away in the last 15 mins and win by 4 I predict."
Yeah Tyrion it will be a dogged battle, especially in the middle third. With the likes of McFadden and Paul Brennan in there you would think we have the muscle to win a fair amount of ball and get the upper hand. Murphy in there too putting in the hard work.

In regards to McGee I was talking about him coming off injured the last day and potentially not being fully fit. But the word is he's fully fit which is great news if true. In terms of playing form he's shown he still has it in him and did brilliantly to keep McKenna quiet the last day in the first half.

With McBrearty back in I'd love to see some long, early diagonal ball to him like we saw in the league. I think it was against Galway Murphy picked him out with some savage long long passes. Great to have that option, mixes up the style with our running/hand passing game.

Looking forward to it now.

High_and_wide (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 14/11/2020 11:13:03    2308628

Link

Replying To High_and_wide:  "Well tomorrow has a somewhat different feel about it after what we saw happen to Kerry. It showed that no matter how skillful the forward unit, if the going gets tough it's hard to turn on the style in these conditions. When you've a gale force wind in your face and boots sinking into buttery mud the stage is set for bullies and defenders, not skillful forwards.

Let's hope the camera men bring a few wipes with them tomorrow."
Agreed lets hope the wipes are in abundance but hopefully won't be needed. I am an hour from Breffeni and weather is not too bad, overcast with the odd shower but nothing like 2 weeks ago or Cork last weekend.

On your points I don't think Kerry set up or selected a side to play with much style which was ultimately one of their downfalls. They played Cork but set up with an eye on Dublin. I don't foresee Donegal doing that.

Also McGee clearly not in top form? I beg to differ thought he looked in great shape and playing well in both games against Tyrone including up to when getting taken off 2 weeks ago. Really hope he can stay fit for the remainder of the championship including today.

I also wouldn't have Mogan in the same bracket as Mulligan or O'Connor. Mulligan is an out and out finishing forward and O'Connor a classic corner forward. Neither is really Mogan's game, yes he is a decent finisher but is similar in style to Brian Dooher. He is also great on getting on loose balls and creating turnovers which makes him a different type of player to the two you mentioned.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 14/11/2020 11:35:31    2308639

Link

Great performance again by Donegal, very hard not to get excited about this team given the age profile. I was shocked at Armagh, thought they would be really good and give us a hard game. We totally dominated midfield again and that is giving us such a huge platform. Patton is just unreal with his kickouts, only Cluxton has that precision.

The most pleasing aspect of our championship games so far is how well our younger lads are performing, they have really stepped up to the mark. The likes of Langan, McGonagle and Peadar Mogan are playing excellent. Subs very good again, especially Gallen and McClean. Also great to see Paddy back. If we have serious ambitions this year we will need him flying.

The only negative was the injuries to McMenamin and Hughie. The injury to Hughie didnt look bad so hopefully he is ok. He is having a great season so far. I'd be really concerned about McMenamin, with Paddy McGrath out, we really need him. Jeaic McKelvey did brilliant, great option to have.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 14/11/2020 16:30:30    2308752

Link

Donegal have to happy though I'm not sure what armagh were up to. I suppose the only thing that they did well was keeping murphy quiet!!

The second quarter was excellent. This donegal team have loads of good footballers and their complete domination of the armagh kickout give them an opportunity to run amuck. They only drew the second half were a bit careless at times though overall have to be very happy. A few more wins yet though to make up for the noughties.

Armagh were very poor and needed to much more pressure on the donegal ball carrier. If I was playing donegal I'd always look to what mayo do to us. Mogan, langan, Ryan mchugh, nod, mcgonagle,Neil mc gee (the kick pass for a mark an added bonus), ban (looked very close to back to his best) were very good. Mogan has real pace and that really adds something. He just burned the armagh defenders for the goal and the finish was excellent. He can't really hand pass off his right hand, though maybe we can forgive him that!!!

Mcmenamin is a big loss, if he went off at the same time last week it's very doubtful we would have won. Mckelvey was solid though in a tight game or physical game Mcmenamin is very important. I also hope mcfadden is ok, he was missed in the last quarter and armagh starting winning more ball around the middle. He's also very powerful and can't afford to be without him either. He'll take a lot of punishment to allow the more skillful players flourish.

It was good to get mcbrearty back though based on how he played its hard to see how he can start next week. Gallen offered more more when he came on. Anyhow as I've mentioned before these are good problems to have.

I'd be very surprised if it's not down next week, no messing about with matches coming thick and fast

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 14/11/2020 17:31:58    2308785

Link

OKay I was a tad off with my earlier prediction but so was a lot of others, we played brilliantly throughout, in real control all over, I don't know if it's just me but our lads at times really hit the afterburners and there's not a team atm could cope with them when there in that mood. It's great that so much pressure has been taken off Ryan and Michael score wise as it gives them more freedom to create. Hope Stephen mc injury clears quickly, he's as strong as a ox. Management are doing brilliant with the lads really have them focused on their game, can't wait now for next week must try and borrow a Garda uniform to try in get in, havnt missed an ulster final we've been in since 83.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 14/11/2020 18:33:05    2308822

Link

Is the venue fixed for the Ulster Final.I would like to see it in Croke Park.The Ulster winners would be at a disadvantage going in to the Semi Final having spent the last few weeks ploughing through muck.Playing in Croke Park would be very different and could take a bit of adjustment.A game there before the Semi would be valuable.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 15/11/2020 11:39:02    2309080

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Is the venue fixed for the Ulster Final.I would like to see it in Croke Park.The Ulster winners would be at a disadvantage going in to the Semi Final having spent the last few weeks ploughing through muck.Playing in Croke Park would be very different and could take a bit of adjustment.A game there before the Semi would be valuable."
It's in the Athletic Grounds, Armagh. It's a tight enough pitch and will suite Cavan more than us.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 15/11/2020 16:59:40    2309343

Link

Replying To Tir Conaill Abu:  "It's in the Athletic Grounds, Armagh. It's a tight enough pitch and will suite Cavan more than us."
The dimensions are the same as any other pitch, the ground may be tighter but that's not the same thing. Cavan it is as expected, it's all about Donegal keeping our focus which I'm sure Declan and the team will treat cavan with respect.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 15/11/2020 18:13:03    2309443

Link

I wonder what the criteria is for choosing venues.Why Armagh over Clones or Cavan.Is it drier,it didn't look that good to-day no more than the rest of the grounds.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 15/11/2020 19:14:47    2309523

Link