Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Odhrán apparently back for 2021 according to Damien Ó'Dónaill on Twitter!

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1162 - 05/01/2021 18:24:46    2326160

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Odhrán apparently back for 2021 according to Damien Ó'Dónaill on Twitter!"
Just read the same Joe massive boost if indeed the case. I for one reading his recent interviews and talking to a few people (not recently) didn't see this coming. Great fillip for people in these challenging time. Best of luck to him delighted he is back.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 05/01/2021 19:37:13    2326182

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Odhrán apparently back for 2021 according to Damien Ó'Dónaill on Twitter!"
Also heard he is back. Massive boost to Donegal and great to see him back in a Donegal Jersey.

We will easily have 1 of the best half forward lines, if not the best in the country. The whole front 6 is top notch with even more great options from the bench.

But we need to get our defence sorted out still, if we are to beat the best. Is Mcfadden ferry back from abroad for Donegal this coming season? Hopefully McGrath gets back to his top form and him and McGee can lead the way with their experience. Be nice to see both Eoghan Ban and Ryan play as wing half backs again. Hopefully Daire and Ward are also back in top form!

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 112 - 05/01/2021 19:50:48    2326185

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "Also heard he is back. Massive boost to Donegal and great to see him back in a Donegal Jersey.

We will easily have 1 of the best half forward lines, if not the best in the country. The whole front 6 is top notch with even more great options from the bench.

But we need to get our defence sorted out still, if we are to beat the best. Is Mcfadden ferry back from abroad for Donegal this coming season? Hopefully McGrath gets back to his top form and him and McGee can lead the way with their experience. Be nice to see both Eoghan Ban and Ryan play as wing half backs again. Hopefully Daire and Ward are also back in top form!"
Think OMcFF is gone in and around 6 months so will be back for the championship if not the latter stages of the league. If we can get Daire and Caolan back firing and keep injury free then the squad is certainly there to be getting to a All Ireland semi final at least. Like you say only really Dublin and Kerry who have similar forward power available with all fit.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 05/01/2021 20:22:04    2326193

Link

@ ball boy, Don't know if your on the right forum by bringing Frank Lampard into the equation! Brand new to the premiership he's sitting 7 pts of the 2 top teams Liverpool and Utd.Hell take that. So what, u want Lacy to sit around and Watch the likes of Cavan snatch away one of these Ulsters that u are so enamored with. @ Rory how right you are, Bonner is making real big calls! Even with the return of McNiallais and co , Bonner cant have much room for manouvre.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 288 - 05/01/2021 22:03:35    2326214

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "Also heard he is back. Massive boost to Donegal and great to see him back in a Donegal Jersey.

But we need to get our defence sorted out still, if we are to beat the best. Is Mcfadden ferry back from abroad for Donegal this coming season? Hopefully McGrath gets back to his top form and him and McGee can lead the way with their experience. Be nice to see both Eoghan Ban and Ryan play as wing half backs again. Hopefully Daire and Ward are also back in top form!"
Kieran Gillespie is also rumour to be back also. A great addition to the squad if true

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 06/01/2021 11:43:48    2326267

Link

Refreshing to see the new S&C man has a playing background himself, something that was badly lacking before. Now I wonder what are the chances he could entice his brother in law into the fold with him???

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 07/01/2021 10:23:25    2326419

Link

Both Antoin McFadden & James Gallagher are decent appointments. They should freshen things up. Interesting the debate earlier in the thread re S&C and losing big games. Now the GK coach been replaced also, is management suggesting Patton needs to improve on elements of his game, both Dublin in the league and Cavan in ulster final Patton was poor under the high ball. A bit unfair on him giving his kickouts offer the team so much going forward.

NewLad2021 (Donegal) - Posts: 4 - 07/01/2021 10:44:24    2326421

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Think OMcFF is gone in and around 6 months so will be back for the championship if not the latter stages of the league. If we can get Daire and Caolan back firing and keep injury free then the squad is certainly there to be getting to a All Ireland semi final at least. Like you say only really Dublin and Kerry who have similar forward power available with all fit."
OMcFF is not gone long, he literally watched the Tyrone game in a 2 week army Covid quarantine camp down the country and i think they left for oversees around the week of the Armagh game. They are not due back till nearly June so unless the Championship is pushed back considerably i cant see him being mentally and physically ready to go head long into the county squad having just came off the plane from a 6mth tour of duty out of the country.

I think when he decided to take this tour it was at the known loss of both the 20 and 21 championship and Declan and co knew that.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 07/01/2021 10:56:25    2326425

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "OMcFF is not gone long, he literally watched the Tyrone game in a 2 week army Covid quarantine camp down the country and i think they left for oversees around the week of the Armagh game. They are not due back till nearly June so unless the Championship is pushed back considerably i cant see him being mentally and physically ready to go head long into the county squad having just came off the plane from a 6mth tour of duty out of the country.

I think when he decided to take this tour it was at the known loss of both the 20 and 21 championship and Declan and co knew that."
Maybe Manus I had actually forgotten about the new league structure which would definitely rule that out. Like you say given its 6 months and doing the math should he not be back late April or May? If that is the case should be back in time for championship no? He is a very fit fella and will have plenty of time to train while on duty I am sure if indeed he wants to commit which I wouldn't think is an issue.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 07/01/2021 12:57:45    2326452

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@ ball boy, Don't know if your on the right forum by bringing Frank Lampard into the equation! Brand new to the premiership he's sitting 7 pts of the 2 top teams Liverpool and Utd.Hell take that. So what, u want Lacy to sit around and Watch the likes of Cavan snatch away one of these Ulsters that u are so enamored with. @ Rory how right you are, Bonner is making real big calls! Even with the return of McNiallais and co , Bonner cant have much room for manouvre."
Didn't realise rule 42 was still in existence and prohibited me from mentioning the dreaded 'foreign sport' from which we need to be saved from.

Laughable that you're backing Frank whose team has choked on two big occasions in recent weeks but having a go at Bonner for it.

Obviously there is no comparison between professional teams and amateur teams but the point stands, you can't just go from never having managed a team to taking one of the top county teams in the country. I'd love to see someone like lacey come in after picking up a bit of experience but as it stands Michael Murphy would have more management experience from his work with Letterkenny IT.

As others have said, you clearly have a vendetta so we'll leave it at that.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - Posts: 163 - 07/01/2021 13:02:41    2326455

Link

I don't fitness would be an issue for Odhran McFF at all. It is an army camp after all and not a 6 month tour of south East Asia! But obviously the match sharpness, ball work, tactical elements etc would be lacking. If we can get Gillespie and McMenamin injury free it would be massive. McCeallbhuí will have had another 6 months of strengthening up done as well, a very useful option. Not to mention McGee and hopefully McGrath will still be around.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7163 - 07/01/2021 14:25:11    2326472

Link

Our forward options now are really exciting...off the top of my head...

Murphy
Gallen
McBrearty
J Brennan
Thompson
Langan
MacNíallais
O'Donnell

others who can also play in the forwards...
R McHugh
E McHugh
Mogan
McClean

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7163 - 07/01/2021 14:31:05    2326475

Link

@ballboy, According to you Lampard has fallen down twice,which u deem laughable. Pray tell then u must have cracked ribs (from laughter) at all the times Bonner has Fallen. Many multiples of twice! You still say Lacy couldn't do better. With his eyes closed-yes!You mention vendetta and try to muster support of others on this forum for Bonners shortcomings.Forget Ulster, Donegal has to be better, let's say an all Ireland semi final. Why don't you make that your New Year wish. After the Cavan fiasco, but then that's no big deal for u boys, Bonner should have been GONE.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 288 - 07/01/2021 17:15:35    2326506

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@ballboy, According to you Lampard has fallen down twice,which u deem laughable. Pray tell then u must have cracked ribs (from laughter) at all the times Bonner has Fallen. Many multiples of twice! You still say Lacy couldn't do better. With his eyes closed-yes!You mention vendetta and try to muster support of others on this forum for Bonners shortcomings.Forget Ulster, Donegal has to be better, let's say an all Ireland semi final. Why don't you make that your New Year wish. After the Cavan fiasco, but then that's no big deal for u boys, Bonner should have been GONE."
Don't stop now, tell us how you really feel.

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 325 - 07/01/2021 17:38:24    2326511

Link

Interesting watching the Cassidy documentary last night. Oisin McConville made comments about Donegal having a supremely talented squad of players around his time. However they considered them a team that were mentally fragile. Of course Jim changed this none of which is anything new. However I do feel Donegal are at a similar juncture right now, again McConville alluded to similar in recent days. With the positivity of the last couple of days around having MacNiallais back. Plus the potential return of Kieran Gillespie from injury those questions remain. But the question is how do you answer them? I really hope the squad and management are addressing this. The talent is there but like Donegal squads of days gone by it'll be waisted without having that mental toughness and the 'nice footballers' tag. With all due respect to Cavan and Tipperary the Donegal and Kerry lads must have been sick watching the respective semi finals. Lets hope from a Donegal perspective they use this to motivate them.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 08/01/2021 12:33:21    2326620

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Interesting watching the Cassidy documentary last night. Oisin McConville made comments about Donegal having a supremely talented squad of players around his time. However they considered them a team that were mentally fragile. Of course Jim changed this none of which is anything new. However I do feel Donegal are at a similar juncture right now, again McConville alluded to similar in recent days. With the positivity of the last couple of days around having MacNiallais back. Plus the potential return of Kieran Gillespie from injury those questions remain. But the question is how do you answer them? I really hope the squad and management are addressing this. The talent is there but like Donegal squads of days gone by it'll be waisted without having that mental toughness and the 'nice footballers' tag. With all due respect to Cavan and Tipperary the Donegal and Kerry lads must have been sick watching the respective semi finals. Lets hope from a Donegal perspective they use this to motivate them."
I'm sure both Donegall and Kerry were sick watching the semifinals don't you think it's time to stop crying over your loss to Cavan its in the past and admit you were beaten by the better team on the day. Dublin would have beaten both you or Kerry anyway. So good luck in 2021.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 45 - 08/01/2021 15:47:28    2326660

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Interesting watching the Cassidy documentary last night. Oisin McConville made comments about Donegal having a supremely talented squad of players around his time. However they considered them a team that were mentally fragile. Of course Jim changed this none of which is anything new. However I do feel Donegal are at a similar juncture right now, again McConville alluded to similar in recent days. With the positivity of the last couple of days around having MacNiallais back. Plus the potential return of Kieran Gillespie from injury those questions remain. But the question is how do you answer them? I really hope the squad and management are addressing this. The talent is there but like Donegal squads of days gone by it'll be waisted without having that mental toughness and the 'nice footballers' tag. With all due respect to Cavan and Tipperary the Donegal and Kerry lads must have been sick watching the respective semi finals. Lets hope from a Donegal perspective they use this to motivate them."
Yeah I would worry about that fragility however what I would say is that these lads have already got medals, that's something the team of the 00's never managed until the League in 2007. People will say the provincials don't matter as much but I do think having those Ulster titles is a plus for this squad, proof they can win finals. Obviously it's the next step that is the mental block at the minute but I am not sure it would be the same mental fragility that the talented squads of late 90s and the 00s would have had.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1162 - 08/01/2021 15:49:13    2326661

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "I'm sure both Donegall and Kerry were sick watching the semifinals don't you think it's time to stop crying over your loss to Cavan its in the past and admit you were beaten by the better team on the day. Dublin would have beaten both you or Kerry anyway. So good luck in 2021."
Ha Ha good man J and likewise regarding the good luck. So your still stalking the Donegal forum anyways sniffing out any opportunity to get credit for the Ulster final win, why so insecure? I certainly wasn't crying nor did I not give credit to Cavan at the time. My post was in relation to mental fragility which has dogged the present team over the last 3 years so not just about Cavan. Imagine a Donegal forum not about Cavan who would have thought.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 08/01/2021 22:57:45    2326743

Link

I don't think we can get carried away by the return of MacNiallais. He is definitely a welcome addition and probably the most talented player in the county. If nothing else, he would be a great option coming from the bench (if fitness is a problem). However I think our main issues is that we dont have enough tough lads like Neil McGee and Stephen McMenamin. Kieran Gillespie would be a serious addition and hopefully McGrath and McMenamin can have an injury free season. Be a shame if McFadden-Ferry misses this season, he is no shrinking violet and exactly what we need.

I still think we are in a decent place. Cavan were exceptional in the Ulster final and we couldnt match their intensity, they also have some very talented players. 2021 is going to be a huge year for this Donegal squad, they need to make a break through at national level.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1735 - 09/01/2021 12:14:47    2326773

Link