Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Lockjaw:  "It will be interesting to see what the Ulster draw will be like in 2021.
Can you imagine the craic if we drew Cavan at home?"
Careful what you wish for and all that but I wouldn't mind getting them one bit. My main hope is not Tyrone again and with a bit of luck both on opposite sides of the draw.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 24/11/2020 17:06:47    2314808

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "I'd love that. And please god crowds are back.

I was going to wait until after the dublin game (and, however unlikely, all ireland final) to ask this on the Cavan forum, but do ye see Cavan as potential challengers next year? Are we here to stay?

My own opinion is that Mickey Graham is an amazing manager. And he's shown that before. It'll come down to how much the players want it again. If we can replicate the passion, commitment, desire and BELIEF, I think we can move consistently to the levels of Tyrone and Donegal of the past few seasons."
Yeah think so. Considering ye were missing a few decent footballers also. Should push on now.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 24/11/2020 17:20:58    2314813

Link

I was going to wait until after the dublin game (and, however unlikely, all ireland final) to ask this on the Cavan forum, but do ye see Cavan as potential challengers next year? Are we here to stay?

My own opinion is that Mickey Graham is an amazing manager. And he's shown that before. It'll come down to how much the players want it again. If we can replicate the passion, commitment, desire and BELIEF, I think we can move consistently to the levels of Tyrone and Donegal of the past few seasons."
I do, the underage pedigree is there and now you've made the breakthrough at senior, if you keep the manager and panel together and add in a few more who have been missing, you'll be a force. The belief is there now like you say, I would expect Cavan to beat Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down and Fermanagh now. Then I believe ourselves and Tyrones would still be favourites prior to any match between us next year, and a toss-up between yourselves and Monaghan.

I feel Monaghan are on a downward spiral however they have proven me wrong a couple of times. I also know that there can be a bit of eye rolling about the league but for the good of your own players and competing against the best, yous need to bounce straight back out of Division 3.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 24/11/2020 17:21:42    2314815

Link

I have heard that Bonner may be under pressure, I don't think there is a groundswell from supporters for him to go or at club level, could it be from county board or the players perhaps? .....or it could be after 7 years with minors, u21 and seniors that he is considering his own position?

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 24/11/2020 18:49:26    2314876

Link

Yes no reason why not especially now the senior break through has been made. You don't have the run at under 21 Cavan had without having talent. Add to the mix Mickey Graham who certainly has something special about him and I think he gives players results. Sunday showed that mentally Cavan had it and despite all the plaudits Donegal didn't. Cavan have shown they don't have a soft underbelly unlike Donegal. Oddly enough I think winning an Ulster in these strange times might be a benefit to Cavan in terms of the restricted celebrations. On a normal year I imagine it would have been crazy. It is important Cavan come away from the Dublin game with their confidence intact. Then the next step should be getting out of Division 3 immediately. Ulster as always will be tricky next year but I would see Cavan as one of the favourites with Tyrone and Donegal.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 24/11/2020 19:14:17    2314889

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "It will be interesting to see what the Ulster draw will be like in 2021.
Be better Craic if they drew us at Breffni, I might even consider booking for a nights stay for that craic when
These bloody restrictions are over.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 24/11/2020 19:25:02    2314895

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "I have heard that Bonner may be under pressure, I don't think there is a groundswell from supporters for him to go or at club level, could it be from county board or the players perhaps? .....or it could be after 7 years with minors, u21 and seniors that he is considering his own position?"
Well he is going to think about his future he said as much on Highland yesterday. You also got to factor what the intentions are of the backroom team. Everything will still be a bit raw to be making decisions. I would very much doubt those at board level or the players would be making noises when the paint is still not dry from the weekend. Especially the players as at the end of the day they didn't perform and quite frankly bottled it again. I imagine they are hurting deeply and wouldn't be looking to put blame on Declan and his backroom team. So my personal opinion is that any of that talk is pure rumour and speculation. However saying that there is a large shadow looming in the background and I am sure if Declan gives any indication he might not return some sounding out will be done there.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 24/11/2020 19:31:51    2314901

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "I have heard that Bonner may be under pressure, I don't think there is a groundswell from supporters for him to go or at club level, could it be from county board or the players perhaps? .....or it could be after 7 years with minors, u21 and seniors that he is considering his own position?"
Would think totalrecall that after putting in that sort of effort over seven years Declan would love to try and get an allireland with them lads he nurtured, he's probably scratching his head as much as anyone as what didn't go right for them on Sunday rather than what went wrong but after a few days I don't think he'd want to
Be remembered for the last day, he's around football long enough to know that's some wee thing is missing to bring them over the line and I'd be hoping he takes time to try and figure what's needed,
If he goes on he I'll know himself he has some hard calls to make.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 24/11/2020 19:33:47    2314905

Link

Bonner surely has to be questioned. 3 years in a row he's made questionable decision in more less all Ireland quarter finals. If he even makes the decisions which remains to be seen. Great servant to donegal all the same and should maybe get a developmental role as head of underage.

Gaelbomber (Donegal) - Posts: 24 - 24/11/2020 19:44:22    2314918

Link

I cant see players getting involved or county board I think if bonner and his mgt team want another year it will be given. But bonner from this last few years always sounded positive even after the Tyrone and Mayo defeats but from his interview after the game he didn't sound as upbeat this year maybe he is giving consideration to steeping aside and spending more time with his family. The man owes Donegal gaa nothing but hopefully if he can get his back room all back he'll go again next year.. I heard Mc Guinness mentioned wudnt say he'll be interested.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 24/11/2020 19:57:28    2314931

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Yes no reason why not especially now the senior break through has been made. You don't have the run at under 21 Cavan had without having talent. Add to the mix Mickey Graham who certainly has something special about him and I think he gives players results. Sunday showed that mentally Cavan had it and despite all the plaudits Donegal didn't. Cavan have shown they don't have a soft underbelly unlike Donegal. Oddly enough I think winning an Ulster in these strange times might be a benefit to Cavan in terms of the restricted celebrations. On a normal year I imagine it would have been crazy. It is important Cavan come away from the Dublin game with their confidence intact. Then the next step should be getting out of Division 3 immediately. Ulster as always will be tricky next year but I would see Cavan as one of the favourites with Tyrone and Donegal."
Mickey Graham gives players belief not results

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 24/11/2020 20:23:46    2314943

Link

Dont think Declan be putting on his slippers yet.It will need a bit of reflection and i am sure we will bounce back.

neutral (None) - Posts: 298 - 24/11/2020 20:37:02    2314953

Link

We played prelim against ye in Ballybofey in 2018, if we drew would it not be in Cavan or do they not reverse it anymore? We're out of the prelims for 3 years now too btw after this year, so at least we'll avoid that

Loughduff Lad (Cavan) - Posts: 993 - 24/11/2020 21:06:54    2314975

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "I do, the underage pedigree is there and now you've made the breakthrough at senior, if you keep the manager and panel together and add in a few more who have been missing, you'll be a force. The belief is there now like you say, I would expect Cavan to beat Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down and Fermanagh now. Then I believe ourselves and Tyrones would still be favourites prior to any match between us next year, and a toss-up between yourselves and Monaghan.

I feel Monaghan are on a downward spiral however they have proven me wrong a couple of times. I also know that there can be a bit of eye rolling about the league but for the good of your own players and competing against the best, yous need to bounce straight back out of Division 3."
Which I think we'll do. Look, being honest we're too good for Division 3. Everyone kept calling us a Division 3 team recently, but that doesn't tell the full story. We were a kick of a ball from getting promoted on the last day too, tough getting relegated on 6 points. Such a fragmented year as we were flying before lockdown so always hesitant to use league position as a guide, but should see us get promoted easily enough in the Spring. Hopefully anyway

Loughduff Lad (Cavan) - Posts: 993 - 24/11/2020 21:10:24    2314979

Link

Replying To Loughduff Lad:  "Which I think we'll do. Look, being honest we're too good for Division 3. Everyone kept calling us a Division 3 team recently, but that doesn't tell the full story. We were a kick of a ball from getting promoted on the last day too, tough getting relegated on 6 points. Such a fragmented year as we were flying before lockdown so always hesitant to use league position as a guide, but should see us get promoted easily enough in the Spring. Hopefully anyway"
Yes I'd agree with that, it was a harsh relegation really with how things panned out for yous and look a lot of times in one-off championship games the league status can be irrelevant as we know. But I do think playing the best teams in the spring is good for players development - sometimes with a younger team it is beneficial I think to spend a year or two in Division 2 but then need to kick on for the benefit of the players.

But yes I expect yous to come straight back up to Div 2 without much hassle. Getting in to Div 1 and staying there then can be difficult, it's always a very competitive division and can be tough for those trying to make the breakthrough permanently to Div 1.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 24/11/2020 22:09:21    2315020

Link

I was thinking about this defeat more.

Mickey Graham does has something about him though not sure Cavan folks thought that after half a Roscommon team beat them and relegated them. They did great to catch monaghan though realistically should have pushed up sooner in the second half. They were horrible against a mediocre antrim team and didn't show up in the first half against down. They really did discover something in the second half of that game and they brought this to the whole match against donegal. Is this the start of something for them or the end of something I don't know though absolute hats off to them for winning on Sunday.
I don't think there is a county, that despite its limited success recently, is as passionate about gaelic football. They've always been respectful and supportive of donegal and were genuinely delighted for us when we won our all irelands. Mick higgins, the cavan legend also helped Brian mceniff coach donegal to its first all ulster in 1972. I warm to cavan though I'm still bloody annoyed about losing to them on Sunday.

Some of posts over the last few days have been very interesting, some not so much and I really don't like the blame the manager for everything attitude.

Donegal have had no issue beating cavan over the last decade. 2011 and 2012 were both handy wins as were 2018 and 2019. Cavan didn't really even compete in these matches never mind get close to winning and in their heart of hearts did donegal just believe they would just have to show up and beat them.

-Folks have been praising neil mcgee for bringing the game to cavan in the second half and he did but sure would Cavan not be delighted to seem carrying the ball in the forward line. He's never going to kick a point and as long as they cover the players who can kick points sure let him have the ball all day.
-Patton will know he had to try and catch that ball. He was going backwards when the ball was kicked in and you just can't punch in that situation.
- In relation to the point about the likes of leo mcloone. Its not necessarily that Leo should definitely still be still on the panel but it's to have a player like that. Another example is Ryan Bradley. He was an ulster championship player. In a tight tough match he was physically able to break a tackle and kick a point. He didn't seem to have the legs for croke park but my was he important in ulster. We probably could look to mcfadden to do this but was he hindered from doing so by covering at the back. It was kind of the reason for mentioning Carroll in a previous post but he might just not be interested or suited to intercounty commitment. Maybe langan and Jason mcgee could add this little bit of extra power to help them add this to their game.
- in relation to the psychological weakness, far to much focus on it for me. We got beat, every team bar dublin ends up getting beat. Learn from it, maybe have a good row to clear the air and set expectations, continue to prepare correctly, do your job and jdi the next time (or jfdi for a bit of extra dressing room emphasis).

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 24/11/2020 23:53:26    2315067

Link

Replying To Gaelbomber:  "Bonner surely has to be questioned. 3 years in a row he's made questionable decision in more less all Ireland quarter finals. If he even makes the decisions which remains to be seen. Great servant to donegal all the same and should maybe get a developmental role as head of underage."
If he isn't questioning himself then he isn't worth his salt as a manager. You'll never reach the promised land as a manager without a healthy dose of self-reflection. That's not to say that I think he should or shouldn't step aside, but after seven years without an All-Ireland he certainly needs to face home truths.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 25/11/2020 10:14:25    2315098

Link

Replying To Loughduff Lad:  "Which I think we'll do. Look, being honest we're too good for Division 3. Everyone kept calling us a Division 3 team recently, but that doesn't tell the full story. We were a kick of a ball from getting promoted on the last day too, tough getting relegated on 6 points. Such a fragmented year as we were flying before lockdown so always hesitant to use league position as a guide, but should see us get promoted easily enough in the Spring. Hopefully anyway"
It was the Clare game before lockdown that was costly, Cavan were building momentum before that. Roscommon played a mostly second team in the final game and Cavan didn't beat them, so Cavan weren't good enough.

The final performance Sunday is what's needed going forward

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2278 - 25/11/2020 10:19:44    2315099

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I would disagree I would say Bonner will be looking for Rochford to stay too. The turnaround is just too short to stay then making big changes. If Rochford does decide to go then I imagine they might look at getting in Buckley again. There is an elephant in the room being your club man. Though I am pretty certain he will want full control rather than being in the backroom. But I think the decision will be Declan's and rightfully so as he has earned it."
Buckley in again ???

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 25/11/2020 11:26:07    2315127

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I think we have the plenty of talent, granted we were missing key men, if we were doing what we should be out the field the odd mistake from the goalie wouldn't mean as much, he contributes a lot to the team otherwise. I think if Declan stays on we will end up the same again next year, shooting the lights out at times and then when the crunch comes we fold up like a paper bag,
bad enough getting beat but to see us crumple into a heap with fellas looking like lost sheep is sickening.
I seen enough days with the 'party' boys in years gone by, plenty of talent and potential too but let down by a lack of discipline and leadership, McGuinness changed that, now we have a similar situation, we are in an even better position talent wise, not as many tough characters though.
McGuinness trained that weakness out of them, changed the whole mentality, that's what we need again, if Declan continues we will lose another year, maybe we'll win Ulster again but we will buckle when the chance for All Ireland success is in front of us again."
Hi to all you Donegall posters and all my Donegall friends who are in exile like me believe me I feel your pain and know what it's like we've waited 23 years to win Ulster and were on cloud 9 at the moment our players were giants to a man on Sunday they gave everything. I have read books about how Cavan never used to bother training until 2 weeks before an Ulster final those days are long gone. Some of your posts are being very harsh on your team and management and I know your disappointed but Donegall are an awesome side with terrific players and loads more coming through you will win many mor ulsters and dare I say it probably an all Ireland as well your not going away. What Cavan proved is that we are getting a bit closer to yourselves and Tyrone but we have a long way to go to match you consistently. The way Cavan played in the three games previously no one believed that we would beat youse on Sunday therefore you probably underestimated us and had one eye on Dublin one of my Donegall friends said you didn't play well because Cavan didn't let you anyway to me your still the benchmark for us to follow. Up Cavan.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 44 - 25/11/2020 11:52:09    2315143

Link